Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Wayne State plans $142M face-lift « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1802
Posted From: 150.198.150.244
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060525/S CHOOLS/605250388

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5922
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"They'll be hideously ugly" vs. "People, they're buildings! Just be grateful!" in 3... 2... 1...

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 961
Posted From: 146.9.52.47
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will they have first floor retail?

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 34
Posted From: 68.41.222.28
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lmao crew

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2492
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what about parking?

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1807
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The new business school which will be located on Woodward will have some retail in it. A coffee shop and maybe a small book store. But things can change the cost is at 40 mil now not 30 mil.

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 68.41.222.28
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what about bob?

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1808
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The business school will be built between ferry and palmer right on woodward. Currently there is a surface lot there.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1582
Posted From: 68.248.11.238
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! A business school at Woodward and Palmer is such a victory for restoring some density to that part of Woodward. It will clearly be built on top of one of those parking lots, and will be very visible, especially from the north.

I hope this building will be more imaginative than the pharmacy school, which is state of the art and enhances the Mack ave. area, but really has nothing special in its design.

I'm all for some new building at Wayne. The only buildings worth preserving are Old Main, Macabees, one or two of the Yamasaki works, and a few small, old houses that they have adaptive uses for.

I was hoping they were gonna replace that hideous student center. Wayne also needs a new grad library to replace the antiquated and equally ugly Purdy-Kresge.

When do we hear a final word about building an arena on campus, and about building a residential college on top of some of the A. Wayne Dr. parking garages?

Crew

Post Number: 962
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

where the university tore down the once elegant Gleaners building.

Crew

Post Number: 963
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the relatively new Adamany Undergraduate Library?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Now, the university is considering a new student center, and hotel and conference center, Reid said."

....Answered part of my own question. They really need a new student center which will give the center of campus some dignity.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1584
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crew--the Undergrad library is a sprawling, multi-purpose place, and not really suited for serious research or studying. It is loud, for one thing. Purdy-Kresge (like the Hatcher Graduate Library at UM), is quieter and meant for real studying, and that is what I propose replacing.

Crew

Post Number: 964
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gotcha. Agreed.

(Message edited by Crew on May 25, 2006)

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 209.254.56.226
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of WSU... I have my minterview with the head of the Urban Planning department tomorrow for admission into their masters program.

Wish me luck

[/thread hijack]

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1809
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw is correct about the library that is why they want to build a new student center. The old center doesn't really work for what wsu is trying to become. The new student center is allot farther off then the other buildings that were talked about.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5928
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd happily donate to a new Merchantgander School of Grammar and Spelling. : )

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1074
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

weren't they proposing this new student center and hotel on the site of the utrecht store on SW warren + woodward?

my big question regarding wsu's land use and building stock is, when the hell are they going to get to tearing down that eyesore, forest apartments, that's been boarded up for over a year?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2155
Posted From: 4.229.72.109
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Few buildings in Detroit are as butt ugly as Wayne's G. Flint Purdy Library.... although State Hall is right up there....

And don't even get me started on Old Main... what the hell were they thinking when they added that monstrosity addition onto the back of it. In the past folks on this forum have agreed that that addition in no way relates to Old Main in any way!

But I do like their new administration building.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1812
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Itsjeff all donation are appreciated but I would prefer you donate to the business school. Currently we have not even raised half the funds needed to build it. :-)

The new student center would be built in the heart of the campus and would not be near the proposed hotel.

Rustic

Post Number: 2493
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amidst the stuff that looks like it could have been built in Pyongyang or East Berlin, there are some nice mid century buildings on WSU's campus.

The physics building offa hancock is a nice example of a smaller brutalist building which fits in in scale with the surrounding buildings. It kinda sticks out more than it used to due to WSU tearing down buildings to the immediate north, but before then it provided a nice contrast to the similar sized pre war brick apts offa warren and hancock and second, that church offa second and even the printing company/light industrial across third. Things have thinned out a bit so it isn't as tidy as it once was but it is still nice imo.

MacGregor is as nice a building (for it's purpose and its vintage) as you will find on a college campus. There are similar buildings at other universities and imo Macgregor's slightly smaller scale (due to the constraints of having an urban campus?) work in it's favor.

Science Hall is really nice from the outside and it has held up well with the renovation/modernization a while back.

I'm not as familiar with the more recent buildings at WSU. (Back when I went to school and worked there you still had to haul your butt up to the old ASBI and ASBII buildings to register for classes etc.) Haven't seen anything particularly nice tho while driving by or the occasional stroll through campus poking my head in this building or that. This isn't particularly disappointing ... campus architecture at large universities is generally a hodgepodge of styles and eras. Even at universities with virtually limitless resources compared with lean and mean Wayne State there are some awful buildings mixed in with the good ones. When a school like WSU goes on a building spree as WSU has in the last 15 years or so, you can't expect a lot of home runs.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 426
Posted From: 35.12.22.188
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wouldn't say that the exterior of Purdy-Kresge is ugly. For ugly, those new dorms fit the bill. That gray siding looks like it was applied to the building after they ran out of the material that was used for the rest of it!

Granted, the interior of P-K is antiquated. The upper floors of Kresge look like they were never quite finished, with all the exposed ductwork. But I've never really cared-- as long as the books are there, there are tables to sit at, the temperature is tolerable, and the lighting is decent.

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1545
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The business school is being built on a parking lot?! Is it an historic parking lot? We need to start a save the parking lot campaign right now!!!

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3396
Posted From: 69.212.125.241
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can we organize a Hug-A-Lot?

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 496
Posted From: 172.129.168.232
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The efforts of WSU to improve its facilities and become the urban university that Detroit deserves are to be applauded. But as far as the architecture goes, WSU has produced far too many bad results.

The graduate residence with the gold reflective windows is by far the worst effort. It could not have been sited more poorly. It has no pedestrian orientation to the street and its form resembles nothing academic or residential. It looks like a medical office building one would find in some exurb in Anywhere, USA.

None of the new dorms are satisfying either. Their materials and color were inspired by the worst of Soviet bloc worker housing. The entrances and parts of the public areas of the North and South dorms with their 8 ft. ceilings and massive security set-ups remind me of the entrances to a couple of homeless shelters I have visited. Warm and cozy there are not. WSU dropped the ball here in a major way. In speaking with a WSU residential hall employee I know, I understand that the dorms have not been able to sustain the occupancy predicted. Its no wonder.

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 838
Posted From: 148.87.1.170
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to mention the Battlestar Galactica light fixtures that are spread throughout the campus.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 417
Posted From: 12.47.224.8
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The graduate residence with the gold reflective windows is by far the worst effort. It could not have been sited more poorly. It has no pedestrian orientation to the street and its form resembles nothing academic or residential. It looks like a medical office building one would find in some exurb in Anywhere, USA.

I couldn't agree more swingline. I hate that building. It does not blend with that stretch of Cass even 1%. It's a horrible building that NOT ONLY BLIGHTS CASS BUT WOODWARD AS WELL since it takes up the whole damn block with it's berms and big wrought iron fence parking lot that wraps all all the way around it. I spit upon it every time I go to the Cass Cafe! It ruins the whole stretch of Woodward north of the Whitney. One of the worst buildings in one of the worst location ever.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1585
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said, Swingline. It's a shame that those high up at Wayne were not diligent in making sure that the finished product in these cases was respectable, or they just didn't care.

In so many respects, Wayne just doesn't set the bar high enough, and this belies the fact that it is actually a good school, with great faculty and research assets.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5932
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People, please! These are new buildings! We should be grateful for what we get.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1817
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all of that are pissed about the buildings WSU is building they are having an event today between 3:00 and 5:00 to celebrate the 1 year anniversary of the capital campaign. They will be releasing renderings of all the new construction. I only ask that if you throw rocks at them make sure I'm not in the way.

Personally I could careless what the buildings look like on the outside. I care more about the technology capabilities on the inside.

Also people don’t forget that a better designed building might cost more. WSU doesn’t have the funds to spend on a building that is pleasing to look at and is also pleasing to learn in. But I’m sure if you would like to become a signature donor you can have a lot of say on how the building is designed.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5933
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, University Towers, the ugly monstrosity that every one is screaming about, was slated to be constructed NW of campus near I-94 where its scale was correct and the parking lot size would not have been an issue. The building was fully designed and a contractor had been selected and the state funding secured when the land purchase hit a snag and HUD refused to sell the property to WSU. The only land that was readily available was the old Vernors site. To scrap the drawings and start all over who have tanked the state funding as the time necessary to complete drawings and bids would have put the project past the state's deadline and the money would have gone to another University.

WSU was faced with the choice of scrapping the project of graduate housing entirely or building the right building in the wrong place. They chose the latter. All is not lost, there is plenty of room and potential for remedial fixes like those that were anticipated in the Hubbell Group plan for the area before their negotiations broke down with Wayne.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1586
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yes, Itsjeff, and we should be grateful that these building signify that the university is on the rise, and that they have a carryover effect which makes the city better. Nonetheless, that doesn't give the university a free pass to give us crap. It's all in the mindset...if UM's new North Quad which will be going in on State St. turns out like one of Wayne's new dorms, there would be a huge outcry. My point is: let's expect a little bit more out of Wayne. The more effort they put forth, they more they help the city at large.

Merchant, your words are so typical for this age. 'We need modernity, convenience, and efficiency above all things, at the expense of beauty if neccesary.' This is the attitude that drives suburban sprawl. For an urban campus, I say that the buildings and content of the built environment on and around campus are extremely important.

(Message edited by mackinaw on May 25, 2006)

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5934
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw, you don't know from sarcasm. Please see my post at the top of this thread.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 141.217.214.203
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's too bad that WSU dropped the Chicago developer who was going to build on the UT parking lot on Woodward south of Forest. The developer made a presentation to one of my classes last year informing us what his firm envisioned. It was very "Chicago-like" in that there were parking structures surrounded almost completely by housing with zero-setback from the sidewalks.

He promoted "eyes-on-the-street" type development that would hopefully reduce petty crimes like vandalism and auto break-ins.

Improving the quality of life through intelligent design standards is a very real thing in this greater neighborhood and what this guy stood for was exactly what we needed. Don't quote me, but I think WSU scrapped him because they weren't confident enough with residential occupancy that would make up the buildings (condos/apts).

I know it is still on the planning boards, but it could be years before that site is actually built upon. But my explanation of the developer's initiative and vision is a perfect example of why the argument that "we should be grateful for what we get" in terms of buildings is not acceptable.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha yeah.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 418
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne State is part of a neighborhood and should build stuff that relatively fits it. Does it really cost that much money to not set a building back from the street, add LESS GREEN SPACE, and have the building cover more of the property? In fact it would probably be cheaper as it would require less land. Plus the parking at University Towers always seems to be half empty, it's parking designed for peak use - typical suburban crap. As usual a bunch of architectural morons designing the world we live in. It sucks not be an architect and care about architecture. So I guess I should be happy with this crap, since I'm not rich and can't design buildings myself. Yeah whatever...

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1818
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw would you like the info on where to send your check?

You might not like what I said but it is the truth, it might suck but that is life. What is happening inside of the building is far more important to potential students and professors. Trust me WSU has done their due diligence and the stakeholders have spoken about what is important to them. I’m not saying you are wrong I just letting you know what happens when the money isn’t there. I would rather money be spent on making sure the inside of the building is world class then the outside.

WSU currently has 320 mil UM has billions of dollars so your comparison doesn’t work. If WSU had billions I’m sure they could spend more on making you happy.

It might suck but it is what it is.

Please remember that a universities number one priority is to educate not build buildings that are pleasing to look at.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 420
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me make myself clear. I don't care if the building is ugly. It should just occupy most of the land, be built to the sidewalk and parking should be minimized when possible. I don't care what kind of siding it has as long as it has windows facing the street.

It seems to me that all of these requirement will cost LESS money because less land is needed AND less maintenance is needed (NO STUPID GREEN SPACE). Bulding urban is more efficient and actually costs less that the big sprawling campuses with meaningless green space and acres of surface parking.

Rocket_city you know what I'm saying right?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gotcha, Merch, but we just need to cover priority one, which you correctly point out, and then go from there.

One must not forget that a university is also a place where people live. When you live there, you care a little more about what is around you. Wayne could start by building more appealing dormitories, don't you think? Was Swingline correct when he/she said that those new buildings are not filling up?

One must also not forget that many students and their families will decide on a school based on the campus, when there are two close substitutes they are largely indifferent between.

Unlike most midwest/east coast urban schools, Wayne has little charm outside of a couple landmarks, and it is hard to recreate what has already been lost. Therefore, I say again, everything new that is rightly being built at Wayne ought not to be done half-ass, or else we aren't helping the situation. If the funds aren't available to make a presentable building, then hold off.

Wsugradguy
Username: Wsugradguy

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 192.245.246.6
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really don't think that any of the new buildings are all that bad. I mean come on people. What are people expecting from dormitories. None of the newer dorms at U of M i.e. Bursley, Markley, or even South Quad are all that architecturally great. Give me a break. And as far as other buildings go, I'll have to agree with Merchantgander. Wayne state doesn't have the money of a school like U of M, which is not your typical "public university" as far as available funds goes. But overall the university is growing and changing. And in my opinion and the opinions of many who know how it used to be, these are changes for the better. Does every new building on Wayne State's campus have to be an architectural work of art? NO. That's just not realistic. Does every building have to be functional and useful. Yes.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 3398
Posted From: 68.252.68.222
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedog,
Why do you hate greenspace so much?

Were you forced into farm work as a small child or what?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wsugradguy, not everything there should be a work of art, just respectable, and complementary to the urban landscape.

While I am no fan of mid-century architecture, we cannot forget that Wayne got Minoru Yamasaki, one of the best mid-century architects (designer of the WTC and One Woodward, i.e.), to build more than one campus building. Wayne was still a middle of the road, public university back then, but they still went out and got the best architect of the day.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1458
Posted From: 66.238.170.38
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The graduate tower's funder also insisted on the design of the building. He was going to pull the plug on his funding so WSU caved in and allowed the building to be built as it is today.

The new buildings aren't all that bad. They could be a lot worse.

Dannaroo, good luck on the interview. Hopefully I'll see you this fall.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1819
Posted From: 207.91.250.131
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to clarify on the new dorms last time I talked to the Dean of Students he said there was a waiting list. That is why they spent 51 mil on the new dorm building that opened in Aug 05.

A lot of WSU buildings are technologically obsolete and just don’t cut it anymore. WSU doesn’t have the time to wait until more funds are available. WSU students will lose out if facilities are not upgraded. WSU suffers because students might decide to go to a different university that has more modern facilities.

Mackinaw I understand your point but unfortunately you are in the minority in today’s world. WSU has done their due diligence and how building looks on the outside just didn’t make the cut. In fact I have never even heard it mentioned at any of the strategic planning meetings.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 499
Posted From: 4.229.60.110
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who was the funder and why was he so wedded to the University Towers design?

Crew

Post Number: 966
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There isn't one and so he wasn't...that story was bullshit.

Rustic

Post Number: 2496
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no way, the deep-pocket donor was a Mr. University thus the name ... :-)

... recalling the heroic exploits of General Lectures ...

Rocket_city

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside, I understand what you are saying in regard to scale. However, attention to detail for each new development may include preferential treatment toward greenspace and landscaping.

While I am a big fan of zero-setback, it is only appropriate in certain circumstances, and on university campuses is not alway implimented intentionally.

You have to remember that while densifying an area to potentially increase the desirability of quality of life, there still needs to be adequate amount of greenspace that will add to the overall urban experience.

Universities DO care how their buildings look and I think people should not underestimate that, even if the U is lacking in funds (what institution is not these days?) Urban design - which includes the architecture of buildings, the placement of buildings, how much greenspace there is, etc... is increadibly important to cities and particularly universities who are trying to create attractive places that education can thrive off of.

In response, people are going to want to be there...as opposed to commuting in mass amounts, only to spend a few hours of the day, in what would be a boring, drab, unstimulating environment if the design was not carefully planned.

I'm thinking of the Utrecht Building and how wonderful it is to walk past its plank-board, red facade as if there are a bunch of farm animals inside. (Not good urban design). If the University ever gets the ball rolling for the hotel, that is where it will go.

Anyway, I think there is a lot of social study behind it and it may not be appropriate to this thread, but I must say that the rendering of the business school is close to target. For one, it's on Woodward, two, it appears to be of scale (considering how wide Woodward is) and three, it still fits the university's character and presence...although I wouldn't mind if the front enterance was ON Woodward. ;)

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2159
Posted From: 4.229.72.109
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

WSU has done their due diligence and how buildings look on the outside just didn't make the cut. In fact I have never even heard it mentioned at the strategic planning meetings.

Well at least this explains how Old Main got that gawd awful addition on the back!

Maybe if WSU had a School of Architecture, they would pay more attention to architecture.

I cannot believe that the physical appearance of a university doesn't play an important part of where students choose to go? If it looks like former Soviet Union bland architecture, I can't imagine that a lot of students will want to go there..... The fact that it is in Detroit is already a handicap.... does it make sense for WSU to compound the problem with mediocre looking buildings?

I'm sorry, I have to agree with Mackinaw on this...

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1592
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Knew you would, Gistok.

I went to WSU because they gave me $$ to go, and I liked that it was so close to home and in the city. It turned out that it exceeded my expectations--mainly because the professors were very good, and because I grew to love its place in the urban context of Detroit (which, as you say, could be, and indeed is, a handicap for many other suburban kids)--it did NOT exceed my expectations because the campus was beautiful, or because people acted like they enjoyed it. Too many fellows students acted like they had to be there, rather than they wanted to be there (I feel that with nicer places to gather and more extracirricular things going on down there, this would not be the case), and most of you know what school I attend now...nonetheless, I still care a ton about what happens at Wayne.

(Message edited by mackinaw on May 25, 2006)

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 422
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Eastsidedog,
Why do you hate greenspace so much?

Were you forced into farm work as a small child or what?

The open green space movement is a horrible product of 60s urban planning, an effort to make cities more like the suburbs and the idea is still popular today. The healthiest cities have little green space and a few vibrant heavily used parks (think NYC and Central Park). Detroit was designed this way with Belle Isle being our Central Park. Please no more nodescript green spaces to accomodate the muggers and criminals.

Like Rocket_city said "eyes-on-the-street" type development would greatly reduce crime in the midtown/cass corridor/wayne state area, and that area that badly needs good urban planning to reduce crime.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 154
Posted From: 67.149.141.170
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the problem with universities is that they always use trendy architecture that is cool and modern one day, and ugly the next.

Brutalist buildings and cell phones don't mix well. so you need to navigate out of the laybrinth to use it.

As far as greenspace goes, I think rooftop lawns and stuff would be a good solution to the problem, and it would be something that would make visitors say "cool".

As a whole though, I don't like alot of grass. They leave the grass cuttings and work up allergies, the watering systems always water everything BUT the grass, and it's a pain being late for a class because someone thought a feild needed to be inbetween your dorm and your class. That's just a rant though, and it probably doesn't apply to wayne state.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1821
Posted From: 207.91.250.131
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you listed out fifteen reasons why people choose a university and building architecture was one of them it would be ranked in the bottom third.

Gistok I have no clue how they decided to build the addition to Old Main.

WSU never had a strategic plan or an endowment before President Reed was in charge. He might not always make the most popular decision but the university and most importantly the students are better off since he got there.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1593
Posted From: 69.221.36.137
Posted on Thursday, May 25, 2006 - 9:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed...the master plan was a very good thing. Merch, do you know anything about a possible residential/honors college, and if anything might replace the row of parking structures along A. Wayne Dr.? Also, didn't the master plan call for Wayne Dr. to be narrowed significantly (a great idea)?

Rocket_city

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, May 26, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The master plan shows structures "wrapping" around Anthony Wayne and the curviture along I-94. I don't know for sure, but I'd imagine A. Wayne would be lined with more residential. I think the parking structures' locations are great as they were originally placed there strategically along the periphery of the central campus.

Building structures in front of them on the space that is there, would be ideal and really "close in" Anthony Wayne Drive.

I don't know if it would be narrowed though since the new residence halls have really brought up demand for space during moving day. Traffic calming measures such as bow-outs at cross walks would be nice though to emphasize the pedestrian welcoming.

Link to 2020 Master Plan:
http://www.facilities.wayne.edu/mp/2020mp.htm

(Message edited by rocket city on May 26, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.