Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Happy Memorial Day!!! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 674
Posted From: 68.30.158.46
Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to acknowledge the fact that I have the utmost respect for our military personnel, and all they they sacrifice for me to be able live freely.

I'm from a family who has had one serviceman (My little brother was a US Marine during the first Gulf War) in 4 generations. Yet I was raised to understand the importance of our Military - regardless of its sometime mis-use, and abuse by our politians who take advantage of its existence to advance their own agendas.

Too many of us underestimate the relevance of our military presence (and perceived strength) around the world.

We have heard all the arguments about occupation, and being the world's police - and notice, our complacency is directly related to having the assurance that we are the mightiest on the planet.

Bottom line -

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK GUYS AND KNOW THAT YOU EFFORTS ARE NOT TAKEN FOR GRANTED,

NOR ARE YOUR SACRIFICES OR LOST LIVES FORGOTTEN!!!

later - naturalsister

Pacypacy_
Username: Pacypacy_

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 24.192.166.67
Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen. After hearing the numerous jets fly over today it's no wonder those terrorist cowards are either hiding in caves or just opting to blow themselves up....

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 2598
Posted From: 68.230.22.99
Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or sending their wives & children out to be blown up - they were cowards before we got involved, now they're a dying breed, thanks to our military.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1212
Posted From: 63.41.8.193
Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just found this old ad from a 1973 Detroit News, and had to post it somewhere.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 776
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://projects.washingtonpost .com/fallen/

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1267
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Grosse Pointe Memorial conducted its annual Memorial Day Service this morning with a full honor guard and the ringing of the bell for all GPers who have fallen for their country in all wars since WWII. Our minister again conducted the opening and closing prayers, and he was especially proud when at the conclusion of this moving service, his nephew was one of the two F-16 pilots from Selfridge Air Base who participated in the "fly-over." Was that an impressive sight as those two Fighting Falcons flew over Lake St. Clair.
God Bless America.

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 660
Posted From: 69.216.104.155
Posted on Monday, May 29, 2006 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to all that have served.

God Bless.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2807
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed. God bless all those who have served and all those who have lost someone near & dear in these efforts. My heart goes out to these survivors. Your sacrifices will not be forgotten.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 325
Posted From: 129.9.163.105
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freedom is not free.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1270
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right you are, packman. Ray Laenan, a vet from SCS who was torpedoed in the Indian Ocean while on a Liberty Ship, uses that expression all the time. He has even lectured on it at the GP War Memorial. Do you know him? He epitomizes our WWII veterans.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 328
Posted From: 129.9.163.105
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock, the great satirical songster Tom Lehrer wrote a great tune called "the folk song army" in the early sixties. Pay attention to the last line, it was written as only a veteran could:

We are the Folk Song Army.
Everyone of us cares.
We all hate poverty, war, and injustice,
Unlike the rest of you squares.

There are innocuous folk songs.
Yeah, but we regard 'em with scorn.
The folks who sing 'em have no social conscience.
Why they don't even care if Jimmy Crack Corn.

If you feel dissatisfaction,
Strum your frustrations away.
Some people may prefer action,
But give me a folk song any old day.

The tune don't have to be clever,
And it don't matter if you put a coupla extra syllables into a line.
It sounds more ethnic if it ain't good English,
And it don't even gotta rhyme--excuse me--rhyne.

Remember the war against Franco?
That's the kind where each of us belongs.
Though he may have won all the battles,
We had all the good songs.

So join in the Folk Song Army,
Guitars are the weapons we bring
To the fight against poverty, war, and injustice.
Ready! Aim! Sing!

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 69.136.155.244
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yesterday at White Chapel Cemetery in Troy we continued the Memorial Day tradition begun in 1930 of honoring the men of the American North Russia Expeditionary Force (ANREF) who died in Russia while fighting the Bolsheviks during 1918-1919. The 4,700 men of the ANREF were mostly from Michigan and Wisconsin, so much so that they were originally called "Detroit's Own". During their voyage home, they decided to call themselves "Polar Bears" and when they returned to Detroit on July 4, 1919, they paraded to Belle Isle, where thousands of Detroiters turned out to welcome them home and hosted a huge picnic for them. Here are some Google links for more information about "Detroit's Own Polar Bears".

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2192
Posted From: 4.229.72.7
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Few things are more moving than to visit the WWII U.S. cemeteries on the bluffs overlooking the beaches of Normandy. I have been to Omaha Beach..... after such a visit, one's outlook about freedom is profoundly altered forever.....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.