Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Think prices are bad here? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 685
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got back from England and what a sticker shock I got at what stuff costs over there. One place (we stopped of for breakfast) had a milk shake for $6.30
and that was typical at what ordinary things cost.
We might complain about the cost of gas but it's cheap compared to what they pay.
London was a madhouse these past two weekends. The Prince's Trust concert and the Chelsea Flower Show plus the Breast Cancer Moon Walk packed people into the city.
I like the easier life style over here though.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1874
Posted From: 70.227.216.90
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most of the high prices are affected by the currently in the tank dollar. This is a recent development. While Britain is typically more expensive than the US, it is being made much worse by the painfilly low dollar.

And you can't really compare London Prices to Detroit prices. You need to compare London prices to New York prices. The same also applies to the life style. London has the same hectic lifestyle as NY. If you get out of the cities you can find places that are much more laid back.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1068
Posted From: 69.130.18.100
Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would imagine London also has higher wages

Paulmcall

Post Number: 691
Posted on Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We met a couple from Manhattan at a play at the Duke of York Theatre and they expressed shock at the prices too (and they live on the east side).
They wanted 16 pounds sterling for a glass of wine ($28)at the play. We settled for a diet pepsi instead.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 614
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

they wanted 16 pounds sterling for a glass of wine.

Barnum was right.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 189
Posted From: 69.246.27.152
Posted on Saturday, June 03, 2006 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you spend your money on Manhattan a cup of coffee is like $6. how about compare like market to like market

Paulmcall

Post Number: 692
Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like I said, even the couple from Manhattan was surprised!

7milekid
Username: 7milekid

Post Number: 67
Posted From: 68.41.222.28
Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shit,
i paid $9 for a shot of patron at baltimore lunch last night!

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 75.9.244.160
Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While the UK is expensive, it has MUCH more to do with our weak, and getting weaker US Dollar than anything else. Remember when arrogant Americans predicted the crash of the EURO when it was launched, and predicted it did not have a future back when it was worth .80 cents on the dollar? It has appreciated over 50% since then. Prices for goods in Europe, for Europeans, have actually decreased. Inflation anyone? A weak currency is a fast track for that.

The Bush admin, like to tell us that a weak dollar makes our exports, which have been in long decline due to the trade imbalance for years, more attractive. What they don't tell you is that imports (Just about everything sold a Walmart) will get much more expensive, while your net earnings don't really rise. Welcome to the "New Economy", vote Republican (Tongue-in-cheek).

(Message edited by Cinderpath on June 05, 2006)

Paulmcall

Post Number: 700
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Republicans are due for a bloodbath in November. They'll feel shortchanged then.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 2820
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just paid $3.31 for a gallon of gas in the Pacific Northwest yesterday prior to dropping off the rental car. I was never so glad to come back home to Detroit to find gas under $3.00!

Cinderpath
Username: Cinderpath

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 75.9.244.160
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>Republicans are due for a bloodbath in November. They'll feel >shortchanged then.

I wish............However, it seems their tried and true method of bamboozleling voters with smoke and mirrors issues like flag burning, and worrying about gays getting married, and the mere threat of our guns getting taken away, will bring the idiots out to vote for them, just like the last election. As for the Democrats I don't have a lot of faith in them either, let's be honest, the Republicans couldn't pray for better opponents to screw up yet another election.

They are already at it with pushing for a stupid constitutional amendment to ban same sex marriages. How about an amendment that the lawmakers that create record deficits has to find away to pay for them?

In the mean time, get out your wallet and pay up.............

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.