Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Number of Bars/Liquor Licenses in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2254
Posted From: 4.229.72.146
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whenever I drive down Harper Ave. on the far east side near Cadieux Rd., I see a LOT of Bars, something like 10 of them in an 8 block stretch. Only a few of these were there 30 years ago. I assume that some bar owners moved out of high crime areas and moved to the periphery of the city, opening bars there.

I take it that a Detroit liquor licence cannot be taken out of the city to say Harper Woods or Ferndale?

So with that in mind.... is it safe to say that downtown Detroit has a virtually unexhaustable supply of liquor licenses available (from purchasing them from Detroit bar owners) for downtown food and beverage establishments?

Just curious.....

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1383
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A brief glance reveals that Detroit based upon a population of 951k had 634 on-premise licenses available, 656 currently in use.

Basically they have -22 available meaning that no new license can be purchased, so only license transfer which I though Kwame put a limit on(it might have expired though).

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 846
Posted From: 209.131.7.190
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

licenses can be transfered throughout the county they were issued in.
------------------------------ -----------------
Is it possible to transfer location of a license within a county?

Escrowed on-premises licenses may be transferred within any county in Michigan. The transfer of location must be approved by the local governing body where the license will be issued and the Commission must count that activated license against the local governing unit originally issuing the license. Note: Grand Rapids City is exempt. No on-premises escrowed licenses may be transferred in or out of Grand Rapids.
------------------------------ --------------

here's the link to the almost 3000 available in wayne co

http://www2.dleg.state.mi.us/l list/QryR.jsp?cnty=WAYNE&busId =All&ownerName=All&lictype=All &inscomp=All&display=1&order=+ ORDER+BY+1%2C3%2C2&numRows=500 &reqType=activeLic&qry=new

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 315
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of - I think Birmingham is attempting to obtain liquor licenses from more rural areas of OC.

One license will become available if they shut down the Blue Martini.
:-(

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.