Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Wayne State and Detroit Mercy « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lexdetroitman_07
Username: Lexdetroitman_07

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 74.131.204.36
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am going to be looking at colleges fairly soon and I would like to get some perspective from Detroit residents on the prestige and thoughts of these two universities in Detroit. Any response or comment would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Lexdetroitman_07

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4931
Posted From: 68.41.124.8
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So are you only interested in going to school in Detroit, or are you open to schools outside of Detroit, too?

Lexdetroitman_07

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm definitely open to schools outside of the Detroit area, but I'm looking mostly at schools in Michigan, Illinois, and Ohio.

Lexdetroitman_07

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 125
Posted From: 24.247.222.121
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

screw skool, kid. never got no one no wear. skool aint kool

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 153.90.110.16
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With college, the individual school really varies with what you want to study. Most every university has more or less specialized fields. What are you thinking about studying?

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 118
Posted From: 69.221.37.173
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keeping in mind that, despite the fact that some high school graduates are seduced by the allure of UM and MSU, Wayne State is more than just That School Downtown. The School of Medicine, for instance, draws people from all over the place, due to its excellent reputation. Their School of Music, also, is outstanding. Culinary Arts? Schoolcraft College. Mountainman is right-- give us an idea about what you would like to pursue.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1685
Posted From: 69.221.36.73
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ya gotta aim for UM! but boy would out of state tuition be rough.

then aim for Wayne State. but if you really take a liking to a smaller school or the Jesuits, then definitly look into UDM (but it's expensive without a scholariship!)

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 717
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you plan on going into journalism, I think I remember you saying something like that in an earlier post, UofM and MSU's student newspapers are pretty damn good. People will often do a few years at one of the papers and study something else, say political science or English or Chemistry, and still be able to jump to jobs at midsized to major dailies or news services without majoring in journalism or communications. The Michigan Daily and the State News have great reputations and serve as excellent jumping off points for reporters. In journalism it doesn't really matter what degree you have, it's more about how well you can do the job. And at those papers you are literally jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire when producing those papers. I think Michigan Daily is a far better paper, but then again I am biased. Also, if you plan on going into sports journalism, which I think you said earlier, you have the opportunity to cover some great collegiate teams at UofM and MSU.

I have also heard good things about Wayne State's journalism program. I don't know much about it, but everything I have heard is positive. I have also heard positive things about learning journalism at Eastern and Central michigan universities. I don't know much about journalism opportunities at the University of Detroit Mercy. But it is a great school.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 410
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wayne has a Kickin' atmosphere as well. I'm a film major and it's pretty cool

The_aram

Post Number: 4935
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E_hemingway, the Michigan Daily is really, really not all that great. Seriously. It's nothing like it used to be, in most part because Michigan no longer has an undergraduate journalism program. The Daily has been plagued by numerous plagiarism scandals and downright awful and sloppy reporting and writing for the last several years. It's kind of sad. If you really want to get into print journalism, I would actually recommend MSU.

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 64.25.200.14
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hemingway, I don't know about Eastern, but you're right about CMU. The CM-Life was named best student newspaper in the state again, and was a finalist the Pacemaker award which is presented by the Associated Collegiate Press and is the highest award a college publication can receive nationally. I think this is the 4th straight year they've been a finalist for it. Of course to be fair, there can be a streak of bias or sensationalism, but at least its well written, lol!

http://www.cm-life.com/vnews/d isplay.v/ART/2005/10/26/435f12 98a368c?in_archive=1

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 169
Posted From: 66.174.79.239
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MSU is a great school (I, too, am biased), but you really cannot go wrong with most schools in Michigan. It does sound like you are leaning towards a Detroit school. Not to be repetitive, but it does matter what major you choose.

For example, UDM is great for nursing and business, and Wayne is excellent for theater, among other things.

I attended State for undergrad, and UDM for Law School, and am very happy with the education I received at both schools, but take into account where you want to settle after school. If you wish to go to another state, consider both the local and, more importantly, national reputation for your chosen program.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1687
Posted From: 69.221.36.73
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UM's paper (the Daily) isn't great, in fact I don't like it at all, although they cover our athletics really well. UM doesn't offer a journalism major, either, although it's not like you need a degree or license to be a great writer. It's just something that's in you, and the key is breaking in somewhere and getting your chances. A good way to go might be getting a liberal arts degree while still being involved in student publics. Northwestern, followed by Iowa, are the best Big Ten journalism schools if, like E_Hemingway says, your heart is set on journalism.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 68.255.243.181
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wtf, is seems like the daily is contantly being attacked as racist? Only been at UM one year, but am i missing something between the lines???
As you may or may not know, UDM is a Jesuit school, usually cannot go wrong with Catholics. Usually :-)

Lexdetroitman_07

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it!! I am looking at sports journalism, sports broadcasting and sports management as of right now. I understand that majors do play an important role as to what college would be best. Based on these three majors, which college(s) would fit best?...Thanks for all the help!!

Lexdetroitman_07

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 895
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan State University

Deputy_mayor_2026
Username: Deputy_mayor_2026

Post Number: 71
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope you have a large trust fund, because out-of-state charges are going to rip you a new one.

Ddmoore54
Username: Ddmoore54

Post Number: 300
Posted From: 69.242.213.242
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are your GPA and ACTs like? That makes a huge difference regarding your options.

The_aram

Post Number: 4936
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

although they cover our athletics really well.

Meh. If you look beyond the numerous factual errors and lacking depth of their coverage...

It's comical the kind of stuff Daily Sports churns out.

Citymouse
Username: Citymouse

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 68.60.190.142
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently graduated from UDM with a BA in English. Personally, I had a great experience in my studies. The staff (in the English department) is amazing, dedicated, and extremely knowledgeable. They also have an interesting program called Electronic Critique, one of the few in North America, that you might want to investigate. It integrates multiple disciplines but is contained within the English department. You might want to check that out at UDM's website. I was not, however, impressed with many of the other liberal arts programs at UDM. My friends in business, engineering & science, and architecture all seemed happy with their studies.

UDM does not have a journalism program; our newspaper -- the Varsity News -- would probably be better handled by eigth graders without supervision -- and the communications program is largely considered a fluff major by the rest of the liberal arts department.

The business program at UDM is fairly respected with alumni who are active with undergrads.

If you're looking for a very social school, I would have to say that UDM probably isn't a fit for you, unless you're willing to join a fraternity. Most students end up either going home for the weekend or visiting other universities.

But over four years, I made good friends and found a new appreciation for the city.

I hope that helps.

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 64.7.187.180
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

journalism is a tough gig- especially if you want to go into television and the pay isn't enough to live on for entry reporters- i.e. IF you can get a job in tv!
Wayne State is an excellent school-
good luck!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2258
Posted From: 4.229.90.178
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got my masters at UDM's Business School, a good school if you like smaller class sizes.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3881
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba notes the cross-cultural experience at Wayne State. It is one of the most diverse places to study in a very diverse city. However you slice it, Detroit isn't exactly a college town.

If you desire a unique urban experience with a cacaphony of foreigners, blacks, and American ethnics, this can be a stimulating place for you.

If you desire a rolling hills of trees, winding paths, romantic nooks and crannies, and a college town, this might not be the place for you.

Like with any choice, visit and stay a few days to learn what you will experience. Coming to Detroit at age 18, alone and green, might be a real challenge.

jjaba, Grad. alum from Wayne.

Lexdetroitman_07

Post Number: 69
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone for all the help!! I will definitely take it all into consideration and I plan to visit Detroit hopefully in the fall or winter this year. I will keep you guys posted on when I come to the city. Thanks!!

Lexdetroitman_07

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 70.227.83.30
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a fairly recent grad of WSU's journalism program, and since I thoroughly enjoyed my years at Wayne, I'd have to recommend that college. If you're looking for a diverse, urban experience, go to Wayne- you will learn a lot about life, and great deal about yourself.

WSU's journalism program is pretty good: the department has some profs who have been in the business for years who can teach you a lot. There's also a good number of part-time profs teaching there, who work full time in the field- as reporters or anchors, which is also very helpful.

However, I do have to say that Wayne's student newspaper, The South End, is rather hit-or-miss, depending on who the editor-in-chief is. If there's a good group of writers working, The South End can be a great place to learn. But in my experience, if the paper isn't run well, it can be very frustrating. Instead of improving your writing, you'll be running around trying to make sure that typos aren’t written into your headlines, or your copy isn’t butchered.

I'm also not sure if Wayne has any classes devoted specifically to sports reporting. I remember their classes as more standard news, features, and investigate reporting. Before you go to either school, take a couple of days to walk around the campuses, meet some of the professors in the departments, and get ahold of a list of classes that are offered. And while I’m a proud Wayne State alum, the college doesn’t focus that heavily on athletics.

I hope this helps.

Funkycarrie
Username: Funkycarrie

Post Number: 230
Posted From: 69.208.124.134
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love WSU, its the 4th school in the state that I've attended and so far I love it. It's highly underrated, and I've had some of the best professors there (in the History Dept).
Like jjaba stated, its not a college town, but thats what I love about it. You don't get all the BS that comes with college at Wayne.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 265
Posted From: 66.238.129.197
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heh, listen to citymouse!! i would probably agree with all you said...

i too graduated from udm with a bachelors degree in libarts, majored in english and communications. the english department is about the only unique dept in the whole libarts school that has a lot to offer to their students. however, i found the comm deptartment to be peicemealed and lacking in a LOT of areas, although i loved all the profs i had (they were all very dedicated). it's not their fault, though. overall, the school is not known for it's strong liberal arts program, as citymouse alluded to. if you want to be an engineer, or a nurse, or dentist, or go into business or architecture...great school for all that.

i did have a great experience there, but it also true about it not being so social. you really gotta search for that there, because most students commute, are older, take night classes, and the ones that live there more often than not leave on the weekends....at least that's how it was when i was there 6-7 years ago...sounds like it hasn't changed much even though there is a lot of new developments on campus.

if i were you, i might opt for wayne state, and/or somewhere else that has a good telecommunications dept. really, it sounds like msu might be the way to go for you. their communications school/department, whatever they call it, is supposed to be really good.

Andyguard73

Post Number: 65
Posted From: 68.42.80.245
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lex, if I remember right you said something about being from Lexington. I'm from Port Huron, and for what it's worth there's a ton of people from the Blue Water Area in Mt. Pleasant. I don't know if knowing people matters to you or not, but since it does for some I just thought I'd mention it.

Vandykenjefferson
Username: Vandykenjefferson

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 71.159.22.4
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're looking to go into Sports Management, I've heard U-M's program for that is steller. As for journalism, don't leave u-m out. Even though journalism is no longer a major, there are still journalism classes, and you could easily major in english or communications and specialize in journalism. There is a good class called "sports journalism" and another called "environmental reporting" that are both rather famous.

Good luck with all of this, I know it is exciting.

.rob.

Lexdetroitman_07

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the input guys, you all are definitely making this a little bit easier on me. I appreciate all the advice and information!!

Lexdetroitman_07

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 68.255.243.181
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Concerning the Sports management program at UM I have heard that while its not in the b school, it might as well be. its run in the school of kinesiology and I've heard great things from a few people graduating from the program.

The_aram

Post Number: 4939
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard similarly good things about Michigan's Sports Management program.

Andyguard73

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 64.25.200.14
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Lex, I just saw on another thread that you were from kentucky. Wrong Lexington! Still, I think that CMU would be a good school for journalism or broadcasting. I know a few people who just got internships doing television broadcasting in cities across the state.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 725
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UofM's sports management program is pretty good. Despite what Aram says, the Michigan Daily is a great student newspaper. It regularly cleans up at the Columbia Scholastic Press Association awards, commonly known as the Gold Circle Awards.

http://apps.michigandaily.com/ blogs/editorspage/?p=24

Also, recruiters from major daily newspapers -- such as The Detroit papers, The Washington Post, The Oregonian, among others -- regularly come to the Daily to recruit its staff for internships. A lot of these staffers normally end up scoring many of these internships, which can be quite valuable in getting a job after college.

One thing I should warn you about at the University. Arrogance abounds there. That NYC state of mind of "You are all below me" can be found in just about every aspect of the campus. It leads to a lot of people kicking dirt on just about everything local. People often rip apart the Daily or the Ann Arbor News as shoddy just because they don't measure up to the papers (New York Times/Wall Street Journal/Washington Post) they read to make themselves look and feel smarter. Well, no shit sherlock. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that a couple of local papers don't exactly measure up to journalism's standard bearers. But as college and local papers go, they're pretty damn good.

BTW, this isn't an attack focused on The Aram, but I'm not going to stand by and let anyone take shots at the Daily. Also, Lex I have my doubts about your authenticity, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt until someone proves it otherwise.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 847
Posted From: 209.131.7.190
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Throughout college I worked for a sports mgt company that had very strong ties to the program at michigan. I worked with at least 30 recent grads of the sports mgt program, most of them were athletes and steered to the program because of it's reputation as being the easiest at the school. almost every one of them had trouble finding a good job out of school, and I remember most saying that if they could do it over they would have taken sports mgt classses, but worked towards a business degree so they would have more career options.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 486
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having worked in business for many years, I have noticed that a degree from a Jesuit university gets high marks from recruiters and a lot of attention all around.

Personally, I am unimpressed with an undergraduate degree from Michigan or State. Huge classes taught be teaching assistants make for a poor education in my opinion.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 726
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You get out of a program what you put into it. Yes, a lot of UofM jocks end up in the sports management program in the Department of Kinesiology. It does have a reputation for being easy. And yes you can glide through it without learning much, just like you can at LS&A or School of Natural Resources or whatever other school you want to put up there. However, lots of Kines students jump into the B-school or Med school or use their degrees to get good jobs out of college. Those are the ones that put the work into it, learn the material, make the contacts and eventaully excel. Some people like to label the department easy just because it has some lazy students. I'd rather judge it on those that actually make the effort.

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 231
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwest, I am a recruiter and I've never given a damn about what sort of university my candidates attended; honestly we care about the degree, not where it came from. Just my 2 cents.

Southwestmap

Post Number: 487
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I meant "headhunters" - executive placement types. I have heard them refer to Jesuit university degrees very respectfully. By the way, I did not attend a Jesuit university.

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 233
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am a headhunter, executive recruiter, management recruiter, consultant, whatever you want to call it....I've never heard of anyone looking at a specific type of university in regards to degrees. Maybe for a certain position, or at a company's request....

Southwestmap

Post Number: 488
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I've never heard of anyone looking at a specific type of university in regards to degrees..."

You may be in the minority in your industry. Else, why would young people (and their parents) compete for admittance to Ivy League schools - clearly some degrees from some schools with good reputations command more attention when job-seeking. To suggest otherwise is just wrong. Sad to say, this is really not an egalitarian world.

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 234
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwest, I don't think I'm in the minority I work with the largest recruiting company in the world, MRI. My family owns a franchise. I've been to numerous training sessions, and I've never heard a peep about Jesuit schools being highly sought after.
Ivy League does not equal Jesuit.

Southwestmap

Post Number: 489
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FunkyCarrie: so you will agree that some school degrees are more respected than others? But you said: "I've never heard of anyone looking at a specific type of university in regards to degrees..."

Ivy League schools and Jesuit schools are both considered "elite" schools. The tuition is similar and the admissions standards are similar.

"Jesuit colleges and universities emphasize the importance of rigorous academic study and spiritual growth and have strong programs in liberal and professional studies committed to service. Jesuit colleges and universities prepare graduates to lead successful lives. For example, numerous political leaders who have graduated from a Jesuit college or university. In the 109th Congress alone, 47 members graduated from a Jesuit college or university. There are six alumni in the U.S. Senate and 41 alumni in the House of Representatives. Out of these 47 alumni, 30 received graduate or professional degrees from Jesuit Universities. Georgetown University, the first Catholic college in the U.S. (est. 1789), boasts the most graduates, with 21 alumni currently in the U.S. Congress. Jesuit graduates include former President Bill Clinton (Georgetown University) and 2004 Presidential candidate John Kerry (Boston College)."

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 235
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Honestly, after entry level (which I don't have any experience with, the money isn't there) where the degree was obtained from isn't as important to employers. They care more about experience and track record. If they had two equal candidates, on every level, then college would come into play, but that rarely happens...how the interview goes has more sway.

I once had a prime candidate on paper, went to Yale, had a great background in the field and had more than enough experience....did horrendous on his interview, had no personality according to the hiring authority. They didn't care that he had attended Yale.

I've been in the business for over 3 years now, and (like I said) I've attended numerous training sessions and conferences about candidates, etc. and this is the first I've heard of Jesuit schools being a great thing to recruiters. I'm glad you could find a quote to back up Jesuit schools, I'm just speaking from personal experience. I'm not looking for some big huge debate with you over this, I'm just explaining to you that this is news to me (a recruiter).

The_aram

Post Number: 4941
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Personally, I am unimpressed with an undergraduate degree from Michigan or State. Huge classes taught be teaching assistants make for a poor education in my opinion.

Wow, that's not an inaccurate overgeneralization at all...

Young_detroiter
Username: Young_detroiter

Post Number: 166
Posted From: 69.209.137.250
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve aka Lex,

Detroit is a great city for a young person, but be careful not to limit your education to geography.

The university that offers the best journalism program in Detroit proper is Wayne State Univ. However, the state's best journalism college is offered by Central Michigan Univ. in Mount Pleasant, north of Lansing.

Meanwhile, MSU and U of M both offer great programs on par with each other - having similar course material and similar well-qualified professors, but U of M is more expensive.

Things you should consider other than studying within city limits, include the following:
Would you prefer an urban or suburban campus?
Would you prefer a lecture class with 40 or 400 students?
Slow-paced or fast-paced environments?

If you were to attend a regional university outside of Detroit, the City is very accessible by almost any highway in Southeast Michigan. [For example, Lansing is just an hour from much of Metro Detroit.

Moreover, get the best value of education for your money.

Titanmike
Username: Titanmike

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 63.237.149.200
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well for all of you who failed to respond appropriately to Lex's question(He wanted opinions on Wayne State and U of D)here is a more poignant answer.

Wayne State- I took a class there for a Masters program back in 1990. I felt completely satisfied with my experience, but not overly impressed. A good school, but I am confident that U of D would be a better choice.

I am not sure City Mouse and Valkyrias realize that the University of Detroit has been consistently listed in US News and World Report as a top Liberal Arts college in the United States.

I graduated in 1989 with a B.A. in History. My degree from U of D is widely reconginzed as a quality degree from a quality institution.

Valk's comments...." did have a great experience there, but it also true about it not being so social. you really gotta search for that there, because most students commute, are older, take night classes, and the ones that live there more often than not leave on the weekends....at least that's how it was when i was there 6-7 years ago...sounds like it hasn't changed much even though there is a lot of new developments on campus."

Things have changed in the last 6-7 years. Enrollment is up and has continued to increase for several years now. The one negative right now is that they have been trying for two years now to get a quality Sports and Intramural complex bulit to no avail.

If you are considering the majors you mentioned, between the two schools U of D is a Division I school, I think a better fit.

I have a website www.detroittitanhoops.com, always looking for writer's. In fact the potential is available for you to get credit writing for my website. So yes I am biased towards U of D, but understandable so. 6 memebers of my family attended U of D or Mercy College dating back to the 50's.

Finanical Aid is abundant and the school has a large number of PHD proffesors and fewer T.A's.

Just one persons opinion.

Citymouse
Username: Citymouse

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 68.60.190.142
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am completely aware of UDM's rankings as a liberal arts college in certain publications. I would be very careful about that information, as most of the time it is skewed and tells a reader little to no information about the actual college. Instead of relying on publications but out by large corporations in my search for an undergrad university, I relied on word of mouth from current and former students and actual visits to the campuses.

Lexdetroitman_07, I would highly suggest that you make a trip to UDM and WSU at some point and SIT IN ON CLASSES. That's the only way you can get even a small look at what sort of education you might be receiving. If you go to UDM and stop in on an English class, I would suggest Nick Rombes, who has two serious publications under his belt and is the new chair of the department. He also works with the E-crit program. From what you've said, you might want to look into a double major in communications and english or e-crit at UDM, which can be completed in four years.

As far as Titanmike's comments about enrollment being up, that's true, but it's had a minimal effect on the social aspect of the campus. His website opportunity sounds great, but as someone who just graduated, I can tell you I never heard of this opportunity and would have loved to, as I was always looking for places to write.

If you have any questions about UDM, please feel free to email me @ elizabethreifert@mac.com and I'll answer any questions you have honestly.

Kookie
Username: Kookie

Post Number: 98
Posted From: 164.67.233.28
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You need to check into Michigan's Kines programs. Its probably the best fit for your interests. The sport management program isn't the easiest to get into however (they have drastically restructured the curriculum and admissions in the past couple of years).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.