Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Harsh words for Detroit regarding Tiger Stadium « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Allman7
Username: Allman7

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 139.76.128.72
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess this guy hasn't been to Corktown in awhile.

http://www.smokedbaseball.com/ Tiger_Stadium_Demolition.html

"Yes, Tiger Stadium will eventually be demolished. Are you surprised? If you answered yes,
please go visit Tiger Stadium..."

"I received numerous e-mails on the issue of the demolition of Tiger Stadium. What I
learned is a lot of people in Detroit are in denial. They get upset at the photos of
Tiger Stadium from the Bud Bowl. Sorry, Tiger Stadium is in horrible condition. What
did you expect? It is costing the City of Detroit a lot of money, and the city is working
towards tearing it down. Hell, they tried to close the zoo, and that actually serves a
purpose to Detroit. Why are people surprised to hear that Tiger Stadium will
eventually be torn down? I understand it is a sad fact, but you have had over 6
years to deal with the fact that it closed. There is no 2nd team moving to Detroit to
play in Tiger Stadium. It is not Wrigley, it is not even Fenway, Detroit can not sell it
out. Well, maybe if the Tigers had a winning team, but that how many Texas Ranger
free agents are the Tigers going to sign before management learns how to build a
team.

And what will replace Tiger Stadium when it is torn down? Nothing. "Corktown" is
now "Cracktown". Sounds harsh, but thats the truth. Yes, the economy is thriving in
Corktown. The prostitutes and the dealers are banking lute. Well, those that are not
getting mugged by the police officers. Do you actually expect businesses to open
there? Why would they? Crime is high, people don't have money in that
neighborhood, and there is no draw to people from the suburbs to go there. Again
harsh, but again true. Drive down woodward near the new stadiums, what is the most
prominent retail store - Wig Stores, after wig stores is liquor stores. Come on, people
from Oakland County are not going to drive into that part of Detroit to shop. The
good days of corktown are over. I would love to do something to change this. But I
have come to reality that you have to let certain things go, no matter how much it
meant to you. And it is now time to embrace Comerica Park. Comerica Park will
become a loved stadium once Detroit hosts a play-off series. Once that occurs,
finally people will have great memories of Comerica Park. Right now the best
moments are Clemens getting denied his 300th win in a 17 inning loss and the
all-star game. And if you don't want to embrace Comerica Park, then you got nothing
but memories.

If you are still upset that Tiger Stadium is coming down, just be happy that Juan
Gonzalez turned down a 6 year $120 million contract extension with the Tigers in
2000. The Tigers would still be paying for that mistake."

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6065
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit tried to close its zoo? Guess I missed that one.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 854
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 9:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit doesn't have a winning team? Guess I missed that one.

Slows
Username: Slows

Post Number: 135
Posted From: 69.246.28.200
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We almost called the restaurant "Cracktown" but thought it might bring in too many locals.

Allman7
Username: Allman7

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 139.76.128.72
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Drive down woodward near the new stadiums, what is the most
prominent retail store - Wig Stores, after wig stores is liquor stores."

guess shoe stores, book stores, a drug store and a hard rock cafe and compuware look like wig and liqour stores to some.

Magnasco
Username: Magnasco

Post Number: 115
Posted From: 71.159.22.4
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol at Slows. I guess the writer doesn't like good food. Orders his Cottage Inn pizza by phone and waits for delivery.

(Message edited by Magnasco on June 08, 2006)

(Message edited by Magnasco on June 08, 2006)

Ltrain
Username: Ltrain

Post Number: 87
Posted From: 68.74.174.121
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I, yes I, (check the archives) emailed this guy and blasted him for his carelessness. I think I called him "uninformed douche bag" or something really mature. I was wrong in making my comments regarding this neighborhood a while back with all it's charm and I'll be damned if this jerk-off is going to do the same.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 129
Posted From: 68.77.166.98
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 12:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This writer should definitely keep his day job and maybe even come down and take a closer look at what's been going on in Cork - I mean, Cracktown. I'd suggest starting out with the Cracktown Home Tour.

Superduperman
Username: Superduperman

Post Number: 98
Posted From: 69.242.221.36
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to know what the hell "lute" is?

Lurker
Username: Lurker

Post Number: 1649
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lute

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6069
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"lute" = little girl

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 232
Posted From: 67.107.47.65
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think I called him "uninformed douche bag"

Sounds accurate.

Lol @ Lurker

Hoog
Username: Hoog

Post Number: 622
Posted From: 67.59.9.34
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lute

Citymouse
Username: Citymouse

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 68.60.190.142
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does that "writer" even live in Detroit? seems like he's the one in denial and hasn't done some fact checking about the neighborhood.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 431
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SO... Does anyone know whats going down at Cracktown Tavern this weekend? I was playing basketball in Cracktown last Week. It was scary man, some kids came up...........and they wanted to ball with us. It was scary man. Fuckin Cracktown. To many nice plants and flowers at the park too.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 59
Posted From: 68.75.220.9
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking of taking my dad out for BBQ in Cracktown on Father's Day, but now I'm very worried my car will get stolen. Maybe some crack and a prostitute will make a good gift instead.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 847
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Billpdx
Username: Billpdx

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 198.107.48.11
Posted on Thursday, June 08, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These cracktown jokes are killing me.

I've got a question about Corktown/Tiger stadium:
It sounds like (although I'm not positive) Corktown residents are generally in favor of tearing down tiger stadium. Is this right? I can't quite figure it out... Actually, the most I can figure is that most Corktown residents feel left out of the decision process: This I can understand.

From my (outsider) point of view, in lieu of having an actual plan, I totally agree with this letter to the editor i read a while ago in the metrotimes that I am attaching below. Like the writer of this letter, I grew up a tiger fan, but no longer live in Michigan. I am interested in knowing what is preferred by Detroiters, and Corktown residents in particular - does anyone have a response to this point of view below?

-Billpdx

Hold that tiger

Re: "Tiger tale" (News Hits, March 29), what do we do with Tiger Stadium? Some say to tear it down to allow redevelopment of the supposedly desirable location. Others say leave it there and wait for bids on the site.

Many of course have deep sentimental ties to the old home of the Tigers. That I understand. However, except for sentiment and history, I don't see any other tangible value in either the stadium or the location. The stadium itself lacks the classic look of the other baseball parks. The aluminum coating on Tiger Stadium makes it look more like a suburban warehouse than a classic ballpark. As far as the alleged value of the Michigan-Trumbull location, the only value I can see of said location is the memories of the Tigers there.

But some folks act as if that exact location is needed for redevelopment, as if there is a lack of vacant land in Detroit. Are these people blind? Do they live in Detroit? This is Tiger Stadium in Detroit, not Wrigley Field in Chicago, where every square inch of surrounding land is covered with dense development. You want to bring in some sort of new residential or retail development to that area? All they need to do is stand at the intersection of Michigan and Trumbull, and look around. Vacant land and abandoned buildings abound. There is enough vacant land in Detroit to contain 100 new Wal-Marts, strip malls or condominium apartment complexes.

The real question is, why such a sense of urgency to do something with Tiger Stadium anyway? This is Detroit. There are — what? — 10,000 vacant buildings that need to be torn down? Tiger Stadium has only been vacant for six years. That's nothing in Detroit.

Let the stadium rest in peace. It's not in danger of collapsing, it's not hurting anything, and it gives the neighborhood some ambiance. —Kurt Kelly, West Palm Beach, Fla.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.