Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Cheescake factory to open in the OC » Cheescake factory to open in the OC - 1 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 270
Posted From: 68.79.90.164
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heard on the radio that Cheescake Factory is planning on opening a store in the expanded Twelve Oaks in Novi.

I know this is somewhat dissapointing as we were hoping for one downtown but maybe they will see how succesful it is and then venture downtown.

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1275
Posted From: 207.145.38.104
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

we were hoping for one downtown

Speak for yourself.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1053
Posted From: 208.49.95.12
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...until they back out like they did at Somerset.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 621
Posted From: 68.60.110.77
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to criticise anyones personal taste, but what's the obsession with the CCF? I ate there for the first time a few months ago in White Plains, NY and it was as bland as any other chain resturant (Fridays ...). I'm getting to the point where I'd rather see much more independent resturants, than more bland chains that you find everywhere. We're actually kinda fortunate not to be over saturated with some of these chains.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 890
Posted From: 70.226.44.119
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well thats a positive spin... I guess we are "fortunate" to have dozens of empty storefronts downtown, and thousands of blown out buildings throughout the city. Yay Detroit!

Really though, many chains are not high quality and I dont understand the obsession with them, however they are businesses that clean up an abandoned building, provide jobs and entertainment, and pay taxes..soooo bring em on.

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4929
Posted From: 68.41.124.8
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So now that they're opening up in the 'burbs, cue the "Oh, we really didn't want them anyway" bullshit.

Hold that thought, it's already started.

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 891
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh. Good point Aram... thats the same hypocritical bs on this forum that exists between the city and suburbs in non-computer land.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 222
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And, enterprising and adventurous as many on this forum are, there are a lot of places that are perfectly good places to go, even in the suburbs, that look like complete ass on the outside--this scares away people that have never been.

Chain restaurants bring in people that don't necessarily get adventurous with their dining.

Tetsua

Post Number: 622
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just saying it would be nice to have more Detroit originals (Breakfast house, The Woodward, etc)than a long strip of places you see in every other city.

I'm not saying that the chains don't have their place in the city however. I just think lots of people look at these things as a way to say "We've finally made it, we have a _____".

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 892
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I didnt mean to target you, Tetsua, thats just the general feeling I get from the forum here. I agree, we need a good mix of both

Ron
Username: Ron

Post Number: 166
Posted From: 66.174.79.226
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To reiterate a point I've made in the past, it is not necessarily an issue of a chain restaurant "spicing up" our dining options, it is more an issue of a national corporation having faith in the present/future revenue prospects for the city of Detroit.

Opening a large chain restaurant is an investment, and any company that wants to invest in Detroit should be welcomed with open arms.

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1276
Posted From: 207.145.38.104
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Heh. Good point Aram... thats the same hypocritical bs on this forum that exists between the city and suburbs in non-computer land.

Not so fast, I'm a card carrying member of the north of 8 mile club.

I wouldn't want to see a Fridays open up downtown either. Waste of space.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 141.217.214.203
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like it or not, CF is more than just a restaurant like Ikea is more than just a store. They are destinations that attract. Just like Hard Rock isn't McDonalds, neither is CF.

A balance of chains and hometown establishments is ideal. Having some chains provides name recognition and is a good way to market your local businesses. In other words, you wouldn't have recognized and purchased from that fancy jewelery store along Michigan Ave. in Chicago had you not gone to the GAP store next door.

Bad example, but you get my point.

Cmubryan

Post Number: 271
Posted From: 68.79.90.164
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry but every vibrant big city downtown has chain restaurants. Especially destination chain restaurants and downtown Detroit is just as deserving as other cities. Get off your high horses because there is plenty of room for independent restaurants as well as chains which will attract much investment.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 472
Posted From: 35.11.210.161
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Chain restaurants bring in people that don't necessarily get adventurous with their dining.

I think that's the appeal most here see in chains not necessarily the quality of food. Granted it can get tiresome here with some starting a thread about how they'd like ro see an ESPNZone Blues Factory downtown every week. Chains tends to follow local businesses and we've someone amazing restaurant growth in the last few years just be patient

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10154
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Not to criticise anyones personal taste, but what's the obsession with the CCF?

It's sort of a running joke around here, has been for a long time, don't ya get it?

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 695
Posted From: 84.156.61.235
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's disappointing, but I am not surprised. If it were located in downtown, there would be a chance for me to go there, but out in Novi? Not a chance in hell, but they won't miss me, because the crazy people going to Ikea will head out to Novi for cheesecake afterwards.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 405
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We need a Big Boy downtown!

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 64.12.187.246
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The attraction with chain restaurants is that people know what to expect. Considering the high price of eating out, many people aren’t willing to gamble on an unknown in a city which they may not be familiar with. I often find myself going to a Hard Rock Café in a foreign city so I can get a steak or burger that I know will agree with my stomach.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 167
Posted From: 24.231.201.120
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Overrated. Cheesecake factory get its fame by having a limited number of locations. People treat their restaurants like landmarks. Ironic that Cheesecake factory IS technically a Detroit original. No love for the city they started in I guess.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 520
Posted From: 209.181.212.60
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's very true Wolverine. For what its worth, a buddy who is a national retailing agent once told me that the owner of CCF, while an ex-Detroiter, hates Detroit and "will never open a restaurant" here.
Maybe would explain why they're everywhere but here.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 316
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The attraction with chain restaurants is that people know what to expect. Considering the high price of eating out, many people aren’t willing to gamble on an unknown in a city which they may not be familiar with. I often find myself going to a Hard Rock Café in a foreign city so I can get a steak or burger that I know will agree with my stomach.

LOL, I agree, Ramcharger. I usually get the turkey burger from Hard Rock if I am out of town and want something familiar.

Local restaurants are for sure the best bet as far as atmosphere/ambience and quality (most often), but when you're in an unfamiliar area and want something reliable, a chain/franchise can be satisfying.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1642
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am actually shocked to (a) see people actually thought there would be a Cheesecake Factory downtown, after all these years of joking about it, and (b) see how many forumers sincerely think it would be a great addition to the dining landscape.

Actually scratch (b).

All I know is that if there is one type of business that says "avoid an area" to me, it's a Cheesecake Factory.

The_aram

Post Number: 4930
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

We need a Big Boy downtown!

So the one on E. Jefferson at the foot of the Belle Isle bridge isn't good enough?

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 323
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They've got a Big Boy at Comerica Park.

Same food, just double the normal price.

The_aram

Post Number: 4932
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember the McDonalds that used to be in Comerica Park? Paying like 6 bucks for a Big Mac... Fantastic.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2299
Posted From: 69.246.54.234
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there food sucks anyway.

The_aram

Post Number: 4933
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh, it's nowhere near anything unique, but I wouldn't say it sucks. I ate at the one in Chicago, and it wasn't horrid. Nothing special, but still a solid meal. The cheesecake was good.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 148
Posted From: 69.246.28.145
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's much more of an issue that American Apparel, Urban Outfitters, and H&M decided to settle in the burbs.

It's nice to fill storefronts, but is Cheesecake Factory really a big deal?

There's not a shortage of good food in the city of Detroit. There is a shortage of good/affordable retail.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 790
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They've got a Big Boy at Comerica Park.

Same food, just double the normal price.

you're paying for the ambience.

Lt_tom
Username: Lt_tom

Post Number: 106
Posted From: 144.147.1.66
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Houston's. Put one of those downtown.

Tayshaun22
Username: Tayshaun22

Post Number: 219
Posted From: 69.14.101.116
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone want to go on a road trip to check it out?

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 643
Posted From: 71.65.11.17
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheesecake Factory is nothing special. I wouldn't hold my breath for one.

Chitaku

Post Number: 408
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aram the Big Boy at Belle Isle is pathetic! while I still go there because I have an unlimited Big Boy gift card it is terrible, I know the owner and he does not give a rats ass about the place. The next closest is either Grosse Pointe (Same crap owner) and Dearborn on Michigan Ave which is pretty bad. There once was a Big Boy in Merchants Row. The thing would do crazy buisness there. Unfortanatly the Big Boy corporate brass is clueless.

Chitaku

Post Number: 409
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way there used to be one in the RenCen. I would watch the Fireworks there

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 62
Posted From: 64.25.200.14
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Getting back to the Cheesecake Factory, I went to the one in Indianapolis, and it was actually quite a ways from downtown. I can't remember the name of the area, but it reminded me of southfield, just a collection of random skyscrapers with stores built around it, sort of like a mall set up. I'd guess it was at least 12-15 miles from town. Anyway I guess the point is for those CCF lovers on here Detroit would hardly be the only big city who's downtown was bypassed by the Cheese cake Factory

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 141.217.174.224
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't matter if you like their food or not. Heck, you may hate the clothing of every major retailer that tomorrow said, "we're opening a store in downtown Detroit".

The point is that people know, recognize, and will patronize a Cheesecake Factory. The reason they are few and far between is because one or two are able to serve whole markets.

Imagine if Hard Rock didn't locate at Campus Martius and instead went to Novi. It doesn't matter that Hard Rock might be considered "cheesy" or just "all hype". The point is that it draws a crowd and is an attraction in itself...just like the Cheesecake Factory has the ability to do.

Now, if Metro Detroit's 5 million people can support ONE single restaurant, would you rather see it downtown, playing off of our new and up-and-coming attractions, or out at Partraige Creek at M-59...an area that has no problem attracting visitors and dollars from outside the local area?

People here treat CF as an important thing because they understand that there's more to the tip of the ice berg when just mentioning the name. I understand the humor behind it, but when you have a city that could use all of the economic development tools as possible, it becomes a considerable variable.

For instance, is there a connection with Detroit winning a major convention at an (expanded) Cobo because one of the things it offers is a diverse, recognizable restaurant choice...that includes Cheesecake Factory?

You can call me crazy all you want, but you'd be surprised.

Tortfeasor
Username: Tortfeasor

Post Number: 457
Posted From: 69.208.121.229
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any source for this information? I have searched far and wide for an article confirming the purported Cheesecake Factory, but I haven't seen anything. Therefore, I invoke captain's rules.

FYI - Cheesecake Factory is also located in suburban Cleveland (2 locations - Legacy Village in Lyndhurst and Crocker Park in Westlake) and suburban Columbus (Easton Town Center, which may technically be Columbus, but all of Central Ohio is Columbus due to expansion).

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 79
Posted From: 64.131.177.93
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh...

There's no Cheesecake Factory in New York City either.

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 64.7.187.5
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what? a cheesecake factory adding to the american tonnage? are you sure george w is going to allow this?

Tetsua

Post Number: 623
Posted From: 68.42.78.219
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's in the burbs there, White Plains

Chitaku

Post Number: 413
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroiters don't need anymore cheesecake we're fat enough!

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 64.25.200.14
Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tortfeasor, what's captain's rule? Is it like skipper's rule, and if it is, what's that? I've seen that mentioned, but don't know what it means.

Cmubryan

Post Number: 272
Posted From: 69.246.10.215
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard this morning on the radio.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1516
Posted From: 67.100.158.10
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Because New Yorkers would have been wise enough to burn it down before it opened. Keep the bland grub in the burbs. Detroit can do better.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 224
Posted From: 67.107.47.65
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That's very true Wolverine. For what its worth, a buddy who is a national retailing agent once told me that the owner of CCF, while an ex-Detroiter, hates Detroit and "will never open a restaurant" here

Lame. Who needs them if that's how they feel? I never even heard of this place until I started reading these forums.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 830
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do they even have cheesecake? My father-il made us go to one in Florida and in the entire 50-page menu you couldn't find anything. It was too loud (even louder than a Bennigans - do they really think people drink more in loud restaurants) and the food tasted frozen then microwaved. Keep it in Novi, bad taste McMansion land.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 325
Posted From: 68.41.145.5
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just checked their menu and didn't realize the served regular meals. I thought it was just a dessert place. How are their prices?

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 903
Posted From: 24.231.189.137
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very High for what you get. You are paying for the logo on your napkins.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1540
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Very High for what you get. You are paying for the logo on your napkins.

You don't get out much, do you?

For the amount of food you get, the options that you have, and for the predictable better than average quality, a $8.95 sandwich is a steal.

Maybe not compared to McDonald's or a Coney, but one of the reason's it is such a draw everywhere in the country is because of the quality/quantity vs. price.

It is not the best anything (even cheesecake) but think Friday's with a little more creative menu, better quality, large portions, for a similar or lower price.

It is great for what it is. Not fine dining, not cheap dining. But definately a value if you eat large portions or if you take left overs.

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 905
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I meant for the cheesecake itself. Nothing special, but more costly than an average slice of cheesecake elsewhere.

And I get out more than you think.

The_aram

Post Number: 4938
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was pretty much predictable that since it's supposedly opening in Novi, everyone and their uncle would be showing up to say how much they hate the Cheesecake Factory and how overrated it is and how they wouldn't go to it anyway and all of that crap.

Trust me. If it was opening in Detroit, every single one of you would be praising a national business for investing in Detroit. Quit the hypocrisy.

Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 906
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

100% accurate about that the_aram. People have to have something to bitch about

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1018
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the state of the Michigan economy at the current moment, this is a great development. Yes, it would be nice to have it in Detroit, but at least its in Metro Detroit and not in Downtown Grand Rapids.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1643
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I can say is that for me, it's not an issue of having something to bitch about.

OK, maybe I have just been reading what I want to read, but I was always under the assumption that NOBODY on this board actually wanted a Cheesecake Factory downtown. That's why it was a big joke.

Of course, I don't really see many long-time posters commenting on this, so the disappointment I'm seeing on this thread is potentially a (relatively) newbie phenomenon.

People here really need to expect better of their downtown. Certainly better than a mall restaurant. I know I am a total elitist, but only in the sense that I expect better than the suburbs for downtown and I'm vocal about it. But seriously people. Get out of the house. Go someplace besides Chicago, and step out of the tourist areas. Then perhaps you will see what real, vibrant cities are like, and what an asset "local color" can be.

Fuck this chain shit. You guys are all barking up the wrong tree with that, at least as far as I am concerned. Leave it in the suburbs, and instead hope for more Slows-type businesses to open. Because THAT is what people will come downtown for. A Cheesecake Factory or a Hard Rock is just a stopoff before the fireworks, or after the game, on the way back to the interstate.

And blah blah "they're spending their money in the city." Well, yeah, at the same time it is destroying any real character the city has.

Tetsua

Post Number: 626
Posted From: 68.42.78.219
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Go someplace besides Chicago, and step out of the tourist areas. Then perhaps you will see what real, vibrant cities are like, and what an asset "local color" can be.

Amen

While I would never knock the investment of any business setting up shop in the D, I'd hate to see it turn into one of the souless suburbs I've seen across America.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6047
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only Cheesecake Factory I've ever been in is atop the Macy's in Union Square, SF. The menu is almost identical to Marshall Field's restaurants, including the Chinese chicken salad. The only difference is that they have about 25 different kinds of cheesecake to offer.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 876
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had better meals at a Cheesecake factory than I did at Atlas last Friday.

Of course, Atlas' new menu sucks.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 831
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry aram, not me. The only time I go to that chain crap is when my inlaws insist (they don't like strong flavors, like spices and herbs and garlic and freshness) and when they buy.

All I can say is Atlas must have sent you a very bland microwaved unoriginal dinner. blech.

It's really sad that we are supposed to get excited about corporate chains when very good restaurants in Detroit deserve our support. The small businessman has no where to go in this new culture.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Atlas is primarily for drinking, not eating.

Haydenth
Username: Haydenth

Post Number: 108
Posted From: 67.107.50.35
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want some good local eats downtown, go down to Happy Cream (next to the national theatre). The best damn gumbo in all of Detroit and the nicest people.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2595
Posted From: 71.144.82.105
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In addition to Chicago...Pittsburgh, Boston, San Francisco, Washington DC, and Baltimore all have CFs in their downtowns. Bottom line, a CF in Downtown Detroit would certainly be an attraction and fairly unique, so let's drop all the psuedo elitism. Cities should/are a combination of chains and local establishments.

Furthermore, let's be honest (accurate) about comparing a chain with about 100 restaurants nationally versus a chain such as TGI Fridays with 1000s of restaurants nationally.

Again, part of the problem in Detroit. Somehow some want this city to be unlike every other major city in this country. Apparently the rules don't apply to us.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1645
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No pseudo elitism here. I'm the real deal.

I see no reason why Detroit shouldn't be different from everyplace else. Otherwise, why bother? Do you spend your life trying to fit in, or to stand out? Do you go with the flow or do you change things?

(Message edited by dialh4hipster on June 06, 2006)

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 877
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DialH, when I ate at Atlas before the food was pretty good. But I found that they recently changed their menu and that their old menu was ten times better. The new menu is sparse, unoriginal and bland.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2596
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DialH, of course every city has elements of individualism, however, Detroit should not be consistantly different than EVERY OTHER MAJOR CITY.

Lack of major retail/restaurants, lack of hotel space, lack of convention space, lack of racial diversity, lack of effective mass transit, lack of educational attainment, lack of jobs, poverty, muder rate, etc.

Sorry, but I'm not interested in Detroit and the majority of Detroiters continuing to suffer so that some psuedo elitists can 'live' out their warped dreams of living in a "real, gritty city".

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 80
Posted From: 68.40.195.233
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for all the hubub, their website sucks:

http://www.thecheesecakefactor y.com/

yuck. I made better crap than that in 1997 when I was 13.

Rosedaleken
Username: Rosedaleken

Post Number: 176
Posted From: 68.43.122.151
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Sorry, but I'm not interested in Detroit and the majority of Detroiters continuing to suffer so that some psuedo elitists can 'live' out their warped dreams of living in a "real, gritty city"."

Wow, I agree completely. Very rare.

Danindc

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

DialH, of course every city has elements of individualism, however, Detroit should not be consistantly different than EVERY OTHER MAJOR CITY.

Nor should Detroit be a carbon copy of every tourist trap around the world. You can have a good, livable city without the trappings of bad chain restaurants.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2598
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danindc, the "carbon copy" argument in this case is lame, not to mention, not even applicable. We're not talking about suburban lifestyle centers/malls here. The point is that Detroit consistantly lacks amenities found in EVERY OTHER MAJOR CITY. Furthermore, that lack of amenities has led to Detroit facing major problems NOT EXPERIENCED ON THE SAME SCALE in any other major city.

Again, major cities have both national chains as well as individual establishments/local chains.

Danindc

Post Number: 1523
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cheesecake Factory is an amenity? LOL

Go into a real urban neighborhood, beyond the realm of the tourists, and you'll find that the chain restaurants are few and far between. Cheesecake Factory isn't going to make or break Detroit. It seems like a few of you are just looking for validation. If that's the case, much validation can be had by working to improve the D, not lobbying for some plastic imitation of a real restaurant.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 181
Posted From: 65.92.154.36
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While you need a balance of chains and non-chains, one of the things I always tell people is so cool about Detroit, is that you go downtown, and like 99% of the stuff there is unique and home grown stores and restaurants.
You don't get that in most cities, and Detroit should be proud of that.

To be honest, when I was in Chicago, I did not buy one thing on Michigan Ave. Why? Because every single store was the same store I have in Toronto in a mall. There was nothing "Chicago" on that street at all.

In Detroit though I have bought stuff in downtown, because there is unique "DETROIT" only stuff there. So be proud of it.
Detroit's one of the last cities with a real "homegrown" soul to it.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2599
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So everyone else is wrong and Detroit has it right? Sorry but major chains (especially selective major chains) contribute to a city as well as local establishments. And sorry, but every local establishment out there isn't exactly something that is holier than thou.

Go into a real major city and then Detroit and you already know the story, whether some care to admit it or not. No, one entity does not make or break a city, but when you add up the total effect of Detroit's systematic lack of entities, the problems that type of phenomenon produces are all around us.

It seems like some of you are looking to validate the current state of the city of Detroit. Sorry but love for Detroit doesn't include blind allegiance (as some of you are fond of contending when it comes to issues on a national/international scale), and even making excuses or worse, dishonesty about the city's problems, just to make yourself feel better.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1541
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan --

It is easy for you to dismiss the chain. You have Legal Seafood. You have Capital Grille. You have Morton's. You have Ruth's Chris. You have 15 Starbuck's. You have Burrito Brothers. You have Houston's. YOu have Califronia Pizza Kithchen. You have Bertucci's. You have Cosi. I could go on

Yet, I dare say that nobody would call Dupont, Connecticut, K Street, Georgetown, etc., carbon copies of any other city. You have a little of everything. And it's great.

Chains are not the saviour nor are they death knell for an "urban" environment. They are part of the experience.

quote:

Cheesecake Factory is an amenity?

Yes. Yes indeed.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 474
Posted From: 35.11.210.161
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The urban elitist can dream all they want, but there isn't vibrant big without tourist traps/crappy chains. No one is saying that chains make a city great local establishments do that and I'd say Detroit needs these more than chains right now. But to be completely dismissive is just stupid

Excellent points Dabirch no one would call DC a soulless, suburban, wasteland simply because of a large selections of chains

(Message edited by eric on June 06, 2006)

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 329
Posted From: 216.223.168.132
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good posts, Metrodetguy & Dabirch.

Many of you wouldn't be complaining about 'just another bad chain restaurant' if CF did decide to build downtown instead of in Novi.

Danindc

Post Number: 1524
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not trying to excuse Detroit in its current state. No chain restaurant is going to change things, though. What's so special about Cheesecake Factory? Why not a TGI Friday's or Applebee's or Bennigans? Is it okay if someone opens Fogo de Chao instead, or is Cheesecake Factory the only acceptable option?

I have to admit that one of the things I love about my neighborhood, is that among the dozens of sit-down restaurants and bars, not one is a chain (if you don't count the train station). A few of us heard a rumor that Applebee's was going to open a location in our neighborhood, and we were ready to take up arms (only half-joking, of course).

The problem I have with this crazy demand for a particular chain restaurant (or store) in downtown Detroit is that it seeks to foist something artificial on the city--something imported directly in-kind from somewhere else. If you recreate Chicago's Michigan Avenue, or Manhattan's Times Square in Detroit, then what the hell is there left of Detroit?

If you want Cheesecake Factory that badly, fricking go to Novi. Tell us all how bumpin' it is out there.

Danindc

Post Number: 1525
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, if there was a Virgin Megastore in downtown Detroit, that would be cool.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1543
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dan -

How can you not count the train station?

I would say that Capital City Brewery, Capital Grille, Charlie Palmer's, Torilla Coast, are all chains, aren't they?

You are certainly walking distance to many of the others that that I listed above.

Bottom line -- who really cares?

I love the Hill. Its great. Two Quail is fantastic. La Colline does a great job.

Its a mix.

Cheesecake is not a panacea for detroit - but would I rather have it here than not? of course.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2601
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, is a national chain of about 100 the same thing as a national chain of 1000s? Only in a flawed comparison like that is CF the same thing as Applebees. Likewise with something like IKEA vs Walmart.

Also city neighborboods vs city downtowns is another flawed comparison.

On the contrary, not having entities/ammenities found IN EVERY OTHER MAJOR CITY is what is artificial.

If you don't want any chains or anything of national prominence, fricking go to a third world country. Tell is all how bumpin it is there.

Danindc

Post Number: 1526
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can something have "national prominence" if it's generic? Seriously. Get some expectations. Cheesecake Factory will still be in Novi if you want to eat there.

I'm hard line with dialhforhipster on this one.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 231
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chains draw the inexperienced foot traffic that creates the opportunity for small business investment.

When there's no one walking downtown, mom and pop can't take the risk to invest there.

When someone like Hard Rock or CCF invests downtown (along with their ad dollars), it creates the foot traffic, which suddenly presents an opportunity to small businesses, or those that invest in small businesses.

How is this not clear to people? No one is saying we should fill downtown with chains. I'm just saying something has to provide the jumpstart. We're still in that stage, remember, we are not successful yet.

(Message edited by focusonthed on June 06, 2006)

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1646
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sorry, but I'm not interested in Detroit and the majority of Detroiters continuing to suffer so that some psuedo elitists can 'live' out their warped dreams of living in a "real, gritty city".

OK, first off, let me clarify that in no way whatsoever do I love or even really like Detroit the way it is right now, in terms of filth and abandonment and overall ghetto atmosphere. Fuck the gritty city.

What I want to see is vibrancy. I wouldn't mind the Cheesecake Factory (or any other chains) moving in IN ADDITION to other great stuff, but it really chafes me to see the scramble for a chain IN LIEU OF the other stuff.

And yeah, Metrodetguy, I went to a third world country a few times with area upon area devoid of chains or anything of national prominence. It was called San Francisco. They still have chain stores in the tourist areas and shopping districts, and big box stores in the warehouse district by the freeways. But they've got so much of everything else you don't even notice.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1647
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

When there's no one walking downtown, mom and pop can't take the risk to invest there.

When someone like Hard Rock or CCF invests downtown (along with their ad dollars), it creates the foot traffic, which suddenly presents an opportunity to small businesses, or those that invest in small businesses.

How is this not clear to people? No one is saying we should fill downtown with chains. I'm just saying something has to provide the jumpstart. We're still in that stage, remember, we are not successful yet.

It seems like this would be the case, but it really isn't so.

Speaking as someone who has looked around quite a bit at ground floor space around downtown, the tendency on the part of the landlords is toward avoiding the smaller businesses and getting the chains (or well-established businesses) to come in. This is especially true, and almost a requirement, for new construction. The chains are a better bet financially, less of a risk.

The problem of course is that Detroit is a risk, so the chains don't want to come down.

The other problem is that chains don't attract the type of clientele that patronizes small business, generally speaking. There really isn't much of an overlap there, so chains beget chains, not small businesses.

Small businesses, on the other hand, take risks and create the type of area that chains are drawn to - vibrant, foot traffic, safer, established.

Danindc

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Chains draw the inexperienced foot traffic

They do? What foot traffic would a Cheesecake Factory in Detroit draw that wouldn't already be downtown? Typically, chains don't generate the foot traffic. Since they have a very risk-averse business model, they locate where the foot traffic already IS. This is why the chains wear the stigma of being "touristy"--because they purposefully locate in tourist areas! I could be mistaken, though, in that the foot traffic near Ford's Theatre in DC is due to the HRC.... I'll take a survey.

Personally, I don't like chain restaurants. The exceptions I make are the higher-end steak places, and local chains. That's my taste. I don't mind that there are chain restaurants in town, though. Hey, sometimes it's nice, in that the tourists and their kids eat somewhere where I am not.

This Cheesecake thing, though, seems like a desperate move for validation, though. "Oh, if we just open a Cheesecake Factory downtown, we'll be like a real city and people will come downtown and spend money and it will be wonderful." (besides, wasn't Hard Rock supposed to do that already?). So what? They're opening in Novi. Big deal. Is it going to make Novi a great place? (trick question--nothing can make Novi a great place) Is Detroit any worse for the wear? Absolutely not. Are all the other cities laughing at Detroit for not having a Cheesecake Factory? Hardly.

Chicks don't like needy guys, and vice-versa. Stop being needy, and patronize the businesses that are downtown or in your neighborhood (chain or not). Eventually, other people will learn they can make money there.

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 429
Posted From: 63.69.106.29
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sorry, but I'm not interested in Detroit and the majority of Detroiters continuing to suffer so that some psuedo elitists can 'live' out their warped dreams of living in a "real, gritty city"

Couldn't have said it better myself. I guess I'm not cool or Hip either. Bring 'em in.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2605
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More nonsense Danindc. Relationship comparisons to the socio-economic dynamics of cities is a sign of desperation in trying to prove a completely flawed point.

Dialh, you completely contradict yourself in first claiming that SF didn't have chains then acknowledging that they do.

Furthermore, let's stop all the characterizations of all the patrons of chains being characterless suburbanities and all the independent chains being patronized by hip city residents. Everyone that lives in cities isn't hip/cool and everyone that lives in suburbs isn't bland. All that talk is simply more divisiveness and snobbery.

Danindc

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a Bose store should open in downtown Detroit.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1886
Posted From: 129.9.163.106
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think a Bose store should open in downtown Detroit.

If we don't want crappy chain resturants, what makes you think we want crappy audio equipment vendors?

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 3099
Posted From: 129.137.182.15
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cheesecake Factory is a nice running joke on the forum, but Dan is correct in that these chains locate in risk averse areas. I believe the first CF opened in Chicago was not downtown but in the Old Orchard shopping center in Skokie. The one in Cincinnati is out at a mall in the suburbs. They don't do a lot in city centers.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1648
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Dialh, you completely contradict yourself in first claiming that SF didn't have chains then acknowledging that they do.

No, I didn't. I said it had "area upon area devoid of chains or anything of national prominence." And that the chain stuff was clustered in touristy areas and by the freeway. Just to clarify. By reiterating exactly what I said.

There just seems to be this complete rift between the way people think here and the way people think in other, more evolved cities. It really blows my mind.

Danindc

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correctamundo, Czar. Contrary to what was posted above, there is no Cheesecake Factory in downtown DC. Therefore, it sucks to live here. I guess I'll have to settle for Old Ebbitt Grill instead.

Here's my problem. The whining and pining (TM) for a Cheesecake Factory downtown is a very superficial argument. I mean, look at Dave and Busters way the hell out in Utica. No one bitches about that, yet Chicago has a D&B's downtown. Detroit must not be a "real" city then, right?

The chains won't arrive downtown until they see locally-owned businesses making a buck. Even if they don't arrive--that's not necessarily a bad thing. Heck, I remember when DC had something resembling a Chinatown. Now it's Fuddruckers, Hooters, Ruby Tuesday, and Legal Sea Foods. The only thing Chinese remaining is that lousy bus that takes you to New York in the middle of the night.

I agree that downtown Detroit could use more options (dining and otherwise) and it is making progress in those areas. Be patient. The success of downtown Detroit does not depend on whether or not it has a Cheesecake Factory. Or an ESPN Zone or Chuck E Cheese or Ikea, or Krusty Burger or whatever it is you find so special about touristy areas in other towns.

Like the old adage says, be careful what you ask for.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2607
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Detroit got a CF or any other major chain downtown, there would still be "area upon area" (of the city) devoid of chains. What's your point?

Chitaku

Post Number: 417
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Krusty Burger in Detroit!!!!!!! Now that's an idea, anyone ever have the Ribwich?

Danindc

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's where they take letter-grade meat and process the hell out of it, right?

Tetsua

Post Number: 629
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The only thing Chinese remaining is that lousy bus that takes you to New York in the middle of the night.

Don't knock the bus, it's taken me to Manhattan and back for $30 many times. :-) Chinatown in DC is a perfect example of chains taking over the place. Even 5 years ago it was a fairly cool place to hang out. Today, there is not a sign of anything Chinese, everything is a chain.

Chitaku

Post Number: 420
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awwwww yeah!!!

Dabirch

Post Number: 1544
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And 15 years ago there was 5 bad restaurants, 1 good restaurant, a couple of porn shops, and a bunch of transplanted Chinese people who did not live in the area.

What is more fake and touristy than the old DC Chinatown?

Not much.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What is more fake and touristy than the old DC Chinatown?

Except of course for detroit chinatown and Plum street.

Ramcharger

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 68.42.78.175
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all this complaining about chain restaurants, one important point is being missed. That is that there are damn few local restaurants that don’t wish that they were so popular and successful that they themselves could become a chain. Most chains start out with one store and through hard work build themselves into a national or international chain. Such was the case with Little Caesars. Were the pizzas any better when there was just one Little Caesars Pizzeria in Garden City? I doubt it. I could easily imagine the day when there are hundreds of Slow’s Barbecues in cities across the country. Will all of you then turn up your noses at Slow’s?

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1649
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If Detroit got a CF or any other major chain downtown, there would still be "area upon area" (of the city) devoid of chains. What's your point?

Wellll, in Detroit those areas are not only devoid of chains but devoid of ANYTHING. So I guess my point is ... if there is an area (or areas) emerging, I think we should hope that it become the best and most interesting area it can be, rather than a copy of the suburbs that surround it. (edit: Also, my point before was that there is so much OTHER stuff going on in SF the chains that are present in other areas don't define the character of those areas)

Have you ever spent time outside of SE Michigan? In a city? Do you talk to people who live in other cities? Have you ever read a New York Times? Ever read about urban planning or the evolutions of America's urban environments? Because this whole "reach for the lowest star" thing is really confounding.

Ramcharger, part of what makes Slows a great thing is the dedication of the ownership to the quality of the food, the design of the space and offering the customer an experience he or she doesn't get anywhere else in SE Mich. The location is part of that appeal. If Slows does open more locations - and why shouldn't they? - I think it would only be a problem if they abandonded their core principals and started trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

If they did that then yes, I would turn my nose up Slows.

And yes, the pizza was better when Little Caesar's was a little local chain of pizzerias, but that was a long long time ago.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2608
Posted From: 70.233.3.98
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again DialH, the psuedo snobbery doesn't fly. Yes I've done all those things and more, but reading the NY Times doesn't automatically make someone or something better. Shopping at all "independent" stores doesn't automatically make someone better. All "independent" stores aren't automatically better than a given chain. Furthermore, in my "talking to other people that live in cities", "living in/visiting other cities", etc. most there didn't share your extremist type of view.

Guess what, the "types" shopping at Salvation Army and "dressing alternatively" aren't as alternative as they think.

Bottomline, a mix is good. An area can "be the best", "be interesting", etc. all while having some chains. And no I don't need the suburban boogeyman, comparisons to relationships, the NY Times, or anything else that is completely irrelevant to make my point.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1650
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am proud of you that you stand on your own authority to make your point.

But I respectfully disagree.

And yes, avoiding chains does make an area better. It's better for the local economy, for the sense of community, for diversity and for identity. It builds more business and civic leaders through a culture of entrepeneurship and personal investment in the community. It's like homeownership. No one argues that that is bad for communities. The same principals apply.

There is certainly a place for the chain stores, I don't think they should be abolished. Again, my biggest issue is how many people on here believe them to jump-start development in Detroit. Hard Rock, Johnny Rockets and Subway haven't seemed to make a very large impact. Certainly not the impact that Slows, Small Plates, Breakfast House & Grill, Eph McNally's, Oslo, The Town Pump and Centaur have made, individually and collectively.

A mix isn't the end of the world, but it's a poor substitute for a city that is full of unique offerings. I understand (what appears to be) the desperation of people clamoring for ANY kind basic amenities, but the bottom line is you can't be desperate.

"You know something honey? You shouldn't give your pie away for breakfast, it makes you look cheap."

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2610
Posted From: 68.248.7.81
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of your own authority DiahH, take a look at countless neighborhoods in Detroit and their shopping patterns. Guess what, for better or worse, they're still flocking to suburban chains. How come those city residents don't go to the independents in the city at nearly the same rate? As for building civic and business leaders...mass transit, jobs, reducing crime, teaching better morals, and education are the major factors in producing that effect. Not whether one shops/dines at local businesses versus national chains.

Imposing your personal values that don't really exist in the manner in which you describe in other cities (in the first place) upon Detroit as the city continues to decline is once again something that would hurt the city and its residents, rather than help.

Again, the psuedo snobby remarks don't add anything to your argument, they only further diminish it.

Danindc

Post Number: 1534
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metrodetguy, look at the other side of your argument. The suburbs already exist, right? Suffice it to say, that lifestyle option is already available. Why impose it upon downtown Detroit, of all places? What you're essentially saying isn't any different than "people choose to live in the suburbs because they like it better", when in fact and practice, that's the only realistic option.

Dialh is on the money, and the values that you think don't exist elsewhere are highly treasured by people who hold them. Call us the "anti-American Dreamers", if you will. Who are you to impose YOUR wants and needs and lifestyle on us, especially when we have so few options available compared to you?

Contrary to what you say in so many words, Detroit isn't hurting because it doesn't have a fucking Cheesecake Factory.

Focusonthed

Post Number: 236
Posted From: 24.192.25.47
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 8:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Contrary to what you say in so many words, Detroit isn't hurting because it doesn't have a fucking Cheesecake Factory.

Danindc, I don't think anyone's saying that, or at least I'm certainly not...I go to Chicago all the time and have never bothered to go to CCF. It's just the "I'd rather have an empty building than a chain" attitude that people have here that is tiresome. Like you said, be careful what you wish for.

(Message edited by focusonthed on June 06, 2006)

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2611
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, this is mostly a matter of city vs suburbs antagonism and psuedo elitist snobbery for some people. Why attach the "suburban" label to every chain (national or local, big or small), even if they exist in nearly every major city (and/or it's downtown). Why attach the "suburban" and/or "tourist" label to the customers at those chains in the city? On the contrary you are imposing your values to the contrary of what is reality in every other major city except Detroit. That reality cannot be diminished by labeling those entities/ammenities/customers as "suburban" and/or "tourist".

And contrary to what you claim, Detroit is hurting because it does not have the same types of entities/ammenities as every other major American city.

Danindc

Post Number: 1535
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, but no one moves to Chicago because they have a Cheesecake Factory. That's all I'm saying.... And yeah, I do think it's fair to label chains as "suburban", because no one I know in the city ever eats at a chain sit-down restaurant. We leave that for the tourist crowd (who are easily identifiable by their dress) and everyone's happy.

No one is saying there should be an empty building or parking lot instead of a chain restaurant. But to think that people are going to flock downtown for a stupid Cheesecake Factory? That's called the Monty Python Method of Economic Development--"if we just build this large wooden horse..." Conversely, do you really think Novi is going to become some sort of holy mecca because of this place? Absolutely not--it will be as craptastic as ever, I'm sure.

Detroit is definitely hurting for amenities: jobs, transit, parks, more housing, more restaurants, more hotels. There isn't anything special about a Cheesecake Factory that can't be accomplished without it. Relying on magical silver bullets is dangerous, and it sounds like you, my friend, have completely bought into the cachet that is the Cheesecake Factory.

Gimmickry is no way to rebuild a city.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2613
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Dan but your theories have already proven to be incorrect. Curious Detroiters and suburbanites alike came downtown for Hard Rock. Their business continues to sustain HR. Funny also that the Breakfast House and The Woodward didn't come along until after chains Borders, Ben and Jerry's, Kinko's, Jimmy Johns, and Hard Rock. And yes there are some people on here that would take an empty building over a chain. And once again I have to point out that I know/have seen countless Detroiters flock to chains, suburban and city based. Likewise for people that I know/have seen in other major cities. Afterall, the chains in other major cities aren't flourishing based on tourism alone.

Magic bullets = no, CF-types part of the equation = yes.

There are too many people that only want Detroit to thrive own their short-cited terms (no suburbanites, no chains, no non-Black people, no well-to-do people, etc.) Psuedo elitism is no way to rebuild a city, especially Detroit.

(Message edited by metrodetguy on June 06, 2006)

Ramcharger

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 68.42.78.175
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1st, Detroit does not attract tourists. There is very little in Detroit that a tourist would want to see.
2nd, people keep saying that we need more hotels. Well, just who do you expect to stay in these hotels if not tourists?
3rd, you say that tourists are easily identifiable by their dress. How do you do that, by their tennis shoes? Or is it that they don't look (or smell) like the winos and derelicts one usually runs into on Detroit streets?

(Message edited by Ramcharger on June 06, 2006)

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 152
Posted From: 68.62.6.147
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know why so many people here are anti-chain stores/resturants.

Go down any thriving street... Michigan Ave. in Chicago, The Strip in Vegas, Rodeo Drive, Times Square and you will find chain stores and resturants.

I think that the Cheesecake Factory will do well anywhere they put it. It will be a draw.

Anit chain is more anti-busines if you ask me.

Tortfeasor
Username: Tortfeasor

Post Number: 458
Posted From: 69.208.121.229
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why the hell is everyone getting bent out of shape on this issue? Nothing has even been put in print to confirm this rumor (apparently the best we get is two forumites passing on the rumor they heard on the radio), yet we have this long-ass thread discussing the purported "CF" with its gold-plated hallways and diamond encrusted urinals. This issue has been re-hashed probably as frequently as the rate of new members to the forum over the past year.

To the query posited to me above regarding "Captain's rule." Yes, I typed that intentionally. My own version of Skipper's rule, which chronologically comes before Skipper's rule. The rule: don't get bent out of shape over a stupid rumor until you at least see it in print (at which point, you invoke Skipper's rule). Perhaps these rules are one in the same and/or I am mis-interpreting Skipper's rule. Nevertheless, I prefer greater precision with my rumor rules, and have, therefore, created two rules.

Damn. Fernando Rodney just blew the f'n game as I am typing this. Stupid f'n Cheesecake Factory.

By the way, when I lived in Cleveland, and the first Cheesecake Factory was built in that area (in a suburb, Lyndhurst), there were consistent 3 hour waits at the place nearly every night during the first month the place was open. If you build it...uh...never mind...who in the hell wants to go to Novi?

Simple solution to all of this--if you don't like chains, don't go. But, just because you don't like them doesn't mean they shouldn't be built. Suck it up, and walk on by (break on through to the other side)--just watch out for the long line out the door and halfway around the block. Now, back to your regularly scheduled p*ssing contest.

Danindc

Post Number: 1536
Posted on Tuesday, June 06, 2006 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sorry Dan but your theories have already proven to be incorrect.

How so? Seems like you're illustration of correlated items doesn't really prove much, other than there is an increased number of businesses in downtown Detroit.

I don't understand why people are hellbent on making Detroit look like everyplace else, which is to say, no place in particular.

Czar

Post Number: 3100
Posted From: 129.137.212.228
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Go down any thriving street... Michigan Ave. in Chicago"

Using Chicago as just one example, the chain restaurants arrived long after the Michigan Avenue area was thriving, they didn't play a part in making things happen. As posted above, chains are risk averse, they wait for things to start booming, then they invest.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 80
Posted From: 64.131.177.93
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I travel, I personally tend to avoid the chains... except for the Cheesecake Factory. The food was always decent and it was a novelty since they didn't have one in Detroit.

At one time I did want a CF to be in the CoD, but now I'm a bit indifferent. Once the residential areas downtown and in midtown become dense again they will have no problem attracting a CF, or any other chain for that matter. By that time I'd rather the chains not be there and instead be in the suburbs (or be fewer and farther inbetween).

So if Novi wants to bend backwards for a chain that built in places like Birmingham, Alabama and Des Moines, Iowa before it decided to come to metropolitan Detroit the let them. Sooner or later Novi is gonna realize that urban environments cannot be reproduced artificially (see Fountain Walk).

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2618
Posted From: 69.221.77.116
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This anti-chains in Detroit (i.e. CF, PF Changs, ESPNZone, etc.) is actually symptomatic of larger issues. It is a matter of some forumers pushing their psuedo intellectual and psuedo elitist socio-economic/political views on everyone. It's about some people being so anti-corporate, anti-suburbs, extreme left-wing socialism, etc. combined with their desire to live out this perceived ideal of a gritty lifestyle, that comes at the expense of the city and the majority of its citizens.

Czar

Post Number: 3101
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Uh, yeah, right.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2619
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No you're right Czar. Detroit residents are boycotting city and suburban chains by the hundreds of thousands. Also, hundreds of thousands of Detroit residents have demanded that no chains open downtown. Detroit residents absolutely do not want these businesses with their jobs, taxes, and customers being drawn to downtown. Their taking over abandoned/empty buildings would destroy the gritty lifestyle that we all enjoy.

Czar

Post Number: 3102
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never mind the fact that the CF corporate offices would never even entertain the notion of opening a business downtown.

And equating disliking corporate chain restaurants with far left socialism? Classic.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2620
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Czar,

1. We both know CF is an example of a major chain, especially a major chain with a limited number of outlets.

2. Please support your claim (verifiable documentation) about CF corporate.

3. Ok, what would you call attempts to makeover Detroit into some kind of utopian (in your mind) place that does not have the components (diversity in business, race, income levels, education, etc) of every other major city?

Czar

Post Number: 3103
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ ac2/wp-dyn/A38908-2002Aug3?lan guage=printer

The key line:
"Cheesecake Factory's interest 20 years later in the Washington area is no surprise, given what became the chain's business model. It puts restaurants where there are 250,000 people within five miles, with household incomes of $50,000 to $75,000"

This doesn't sound like the current situation in the five mile radius from downtown Detroit given it is one of America's poorest major cities. Detroit would have to make more economic inroads, then they'd plop one down. Chains are opportunistic, they wait for independent businesses to take risk and then they see what happens.

And please, screaming socialism just makes you look like an ass. Are those who are pro-CF right wing fascists? I don't think so.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1651
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This anti-chains in Detroit (i.e. CF, PF Changs, ESPNZone, etc.) is actually symptomatic of larger issues. It is a matter of some forumers pushing their psuedo intellectual and psuedo elitist socio-economic/political views on everyone. It's about some people being so anti-corporate, anti-suburbs, extreme left-wing socialism, etc. combined with their desire to live out this perceived ideal of a gritty lifestyle, that comes at the expense of the city and the majority of its citizens.

Ok, you are officially a wacko. Nobody ever said this. And? You couldn't be further from the truth.

Also? Putting "psuedo" in front of every adjective you use doesn't make your point (or make you look smart, since technically that should be hyphenated). How is any of this pseudo-intellectual, especially given the crap YOU'VE been spewing? And what the hell is a pseudo-elitist, anyway? That doesn't even make sense.

Everyone else on here, even people arguing pro-chain, is making more sense than you.

Czar

Post Number: 3104
Posted From: 72.49.172.67
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He also can't spell "pseudo" correctly.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2621
Posted From: 71.144.118.183
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DialH, the only wacko is you, given your bragging about "being an elitist". And speaking of trying to appear smart, do you really think bragging about "being an elitist" makes you smart? Maybe using the name "hipster" makes you "smart" and "elite" too right?

Again I ask you for absolute proof of your claim. Business models are not absolutes, nor is a quote from a newspaper writer (rather than a company spokesperson). Again, please support your claim that "CF corporate offices would never even entertain the notion of opening a business downtown". (key words: never entertain)

Again, Czar will take cheap shots at anyone that doesn't agree with his politics. If I said Hitler was bad, you would find a way of defending him and claiming that he was good.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1653
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(a) I said I was an elitist because relatively speaking, I am. Apparently also a genius.

(b) The screen name involving hipster actually goes back a good 10 years, back when it had more to do with swing dancing than little sprouts wearing low-rise jeans. Back when I registered it was just a handy name to use.

(c) I never said anything about CF corporate offices entertaining anything.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2623
Posted From: 71.144.118.183
Posted on Wednesday, June 07, 2006 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right DialH, despite both the public as well as the business community wanting otherwise, Downtown Detroit will only be developed based on the standards/desires of a tiny fringe. Nevermind that those standards don't exist anywhere other than textbooks.

And yes, non-wackos routinely refer to themselves and genuises and elitist. Good job.

And sorry, the claim comment was meant for Czar.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.