Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Riverwalk section open? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1101
Posted From: 69.129.146.186
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDIV just reported an opening of part of the Riverwalk - was it the section at the end of Bates between the RenCen and Hart Plaza or some other section?

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 644
Posted From: 68.61.194.237
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that might be it, I've seen that they put up a protective barrier in front of the Detroit river the other day.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 646
Posted From: 68.60.110.77
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/9355938/detail.html

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 866
Posted From: 69.212.43.7
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know what they're talking about; it's still not connected. walked by there on saturday and the area in front of that brick building and parking lot is still entirely fenced off...

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 648
Posted From: 71.65.11.17
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You walked by Saturday, the ribbong cutting took place on Monday... perhaps that's the problem?

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 867
Posted From: 69.212.43.7
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so they took the fences down, tore up the parking lot, built the walkway, installed lighting, installed railings, planted landscaping, and constructed a bridge to the gm promenade in a day and a half? i'd find that hard to believe.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1177
Posted From: 136.2.1.153
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tend to side with Rsa on this one... I was there a week ago and it didn't look like the two sections were that close to being connected.

I may have to stop by there on my way home from work right now to check it out, though. It will be really nice once they are connected.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1768
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure, but maybe the holdup (fixing the outfall) is completed, allowing work on the actual walk to rapidly progress?

Sfdet
Username: Sfdet

Post Number: 79
Posted From: 75.0.166.98
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one thing is for sure: detroit loves its ground breaking and ribbon cutting ceremonies. it just doesn't seem to be important if the project being celebrated is completed or not, started or not. remember the book cadillac groundbreaking ceremony (the one in 2003, not the one in the 1920s)? remember the cruise ship terminal groundbreaking ceremony in 2004? yep, that was a good one. all the politicians were boasting at the time about how the terminal would be finished in time for the 2005 baseball all star game.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 1122
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 3:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drove by yesterday and noticed that people were fishing there. I did notice that some barricade was still up though. I have noticed a lot of people fishing on the river lately. This one guy had a bucket of bass which he caught in less than 30 minutes while we were walking down there.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 68.42.78.175
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Police caught a whopper behind Joe Louis Arena last week.
Body Found In Detroit River

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 417
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing like fishing in the Detroit....

3 eye

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 850
Posted From: 209.131.7.190
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/rwalk49.aspx

At the foot of Bates Street, a structural repair has been completed — a critical step to make way to build a boardwalk for the RiverWalk, Nelson says. The repair also fixes part of the city’s sewer system, preventing sewage backups from polluting the Detroit River. The work was made possible through efforts of the congressional delegation, the City of Detroit and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 746
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That section of the riverwalk is no more complete today than it was a month ago. It does not connect Hart Plaza to the Ren Cen. To walk from the Ren Cen to Hart Plaza, one must walk along Atwater around the unfinished riverwalk and through a police department parking lot. There is a nice island of finished riverwalk, but there is 100 feet of crumbing asphalt and old concrete bariers between it and the Ren Cen. There is also a maddening 20 feet of police department parking lot between that island of riverwalk and Hart Plaza. I don't understand why they don't just fill in those two small sections. That would make one really nice extension of riverwalk. It seems so easy. I guess that's probably why it isn't being done.

The good news for the Riverwalk is work is humming along on the eastern section of it. Work crews have been making steady, visible progress there. Can't wait for that section to open up.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10175
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

so they took the fences down, tore up the parking lot, built the walkway, installed lighting, installed railings, planted landscaping, and constructed a bridge to the gm promenade in a day and a half? i'd find that hard to believe.

Hey, waaaaait a minute. Didn't they do this with the Book Cadillac 3 years ago this July? I'm not falling for this one AGAIN! Did they have the governor there and a big banner on the RenCen?

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 519
Posted From: 71.159.22.4
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing's done. They finished that one patch at the foot of Bates St. but you still can't walk over there. Plus, why put down grass and sidewalk when you still have a structure to build?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1116
Posted From: 69.136.142.0
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i rode bikes down there with a friend to check it out, both of us felt fucking jipped. contrary to senator levin's comments, news reports and other communication claiming otherwise the shit's still closed.

a "grand opening" kinda deal for something as pedestrian (excuse the pun) as a river walk seems like a hard thing to completely botch, and is even harder to understand why they would want to mislead people for no fucking reason.

furthermore, was the fucking press just standing around saying to themselves, "wow! looks completely finished and ready to use to me!"?....cuz that sure as hell seemed to be the jist of their collective stories. jackasses.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1117
Posted From: 69.136.142.0
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

from the wdiv story posted above

quote:

...a walkway was built to allow pedestrians the ability to walk from Joe Louis Arena to the Renaissance Center.

NOT YET IT WASN"T!!

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 250
Posted From: 66.134.108.131
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see that section of the riverwalk from work every day. They new part does look very nice, but there are still chainlink fences, concrete barriers, the police lot, and the small brick bungalow which prevent it from really being a part of the riverwalk. That whole area by the police station could really use a makeover, but a lot of that was poorly designed in the first place.

It looks like you'd be able to see a lot of progress from the Diamond Jack River Tour Boats. Their dock is just in front of that Police Station not 200 feet from this new riverwalk segment. They go right up that side of the river too, along GM, the old silo locations, Chene Park, Strohs, Harbortown, and Belle Isle Bridge/Gabriel Richard.

A lot of progress is ongoing between the GM Riverwalk portion and the Belle Isle Bridge along the river. Much work is being done at the Stroh River Place/Talon Centre/Omni, and also at Harbortown/US Coast Guard Group Detroit. They have also begun to bury the pilings for the new plaza/pavillion at Gabriel Richard, which will be one of four when the Riverwalk East is completed. The Stroh/Talon/Omni section should be complete by the end of the year.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.