Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Seen a first while leaving Mexican town saturday « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 275
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me and my girlfriend went to Mexican town sat afternoon and ate an awesome buffet at a place which the name has slipped my mind! It had the side patio seating along the sidewalk and was kittie corner from So-sho-minkos?? I know I totally killed the spelling on that. Anyways while leaving there and coming back up to Michigan Ave. in front of MCS we were waiting for the light when my girlfriend asked "what the hell is that guy doing?" I looked to see a bum in a VERY slight squat taking a $hit in broad daylight. He was fumbling with some tissue on the ground. I did not see any of the incriminating evidence hanging from his A$$ but there was no doubt what he was doing. There are plenty of alleys and trees around to kinda hide! And there were other bums around. That was a sight I won't ever forget. Won't stop me from going back for the buffet again though!

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2332
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAHAHA Quinn (another forumer) and myself were together on Jefferson Avenue driving a few weeks ago. Right in front of the Hertz were two bums (we were at the stop light) they started wrestling and we were like "whats up with that"...then the one bum reached into the other bums pants and pulled his johnson out and started playing with it! Needless to say we were laughing our butts off.

Strange things a'going on. Why I love living here they don't see stuff like this in O County!

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1567
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why I love living here they don't see stuff like this in O County!

You love living here because you can see bums jerking each other off on Jefferson? Taking a shit in the park?

That's why you love living here?

No wonder almost everybody with kids flees the area. Why would I want a neighbor who glorifies such disgusiting and potentially harmful actions for my kids?

There are internet sites where you can see that stuff, I say pay you 9.99 a month and keep the rest of us out of your voyeuristic fantasy work.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 6107
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's almost as if these homeless people are mentally ill or something.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1568
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We should laugh and point at them. They are there for our amusement, right?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1105
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You love living here because you can see bums jerking each other off on Jefferson? Taking a shit in the park?

That's why you love living here?"

I guess that's called "gritty," "edgy," and "keepin' it real."

Riiiiiight....

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6108
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You mean ILD and Quinn, right?

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2333
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh jeez lighten up...sometimes it is just hilarious to see things you don't expect. Dabirch I am sure your kids won't turn into maniacal killers if they see someone taking a crap on a sidewalk or getting jerked off. I think most bad things happen to kids in SCHOOL being teased by other kids...who didn't have their parents teach them manners and respect. The number one reason sited by kids on why they hate school is usually other kids picking on them. Worry about that versus something bizarre like described above.

itsjeff- You are just jealous that you didn't see it!

Itsjeff

Post Number: 6110
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sure your kids won't turn into maniacal killers if they see someone taking a crap on a sidewalk or getting jerked off.

Still and all, no need to test this theory, 'kay?

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 193
Posted From: 68.42.171.59
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One_Shot,

That is the best spelling ever. I think I'm going to start using it with friends as a joke. :-)

It's Xochimilcos BTW. "Zocheemilkos". Or, as most locals abbreviate it: Xochis.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2334
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well give him an A for effort on the spelling!

itsjeff- What did you see as a child then :-) What caused you to go wrong hahaha

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 754
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live here because of the he-she's that try to win political office and turn the city over to the state. It's fabulous.

milfre

Oh...and the pooping, jackin'-off, lip-smakin' homeless people.

Oh and Xochimilco's.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 1113
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i saw a woman takin a dump in front of the rite-aid at woodward and forest a few years back....made me downright proud of living in the area!

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 873
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You were at Los Galanes.

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 276
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Oldredfordette, I knew there were two words to its name!

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 433
Posted From: 63.69.106.29
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CheeseCake Factory? Pfft, no way.

Two bums tossin' each others salad? Sign me up!

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 715
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That local "color" will really attract visitors.
Things must be awfully slow if that's what amuses you.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 251
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is what everyone means when they say "Detroit shouldn't try to be like every other city"

River_rat
Username: River_rat

Post Number: 138
Posted From: 68.166.44.44
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, this takin' a dump in the street has been going on for a long time. Back when the Thanksgiving Day Parade was really big in Detroit, a friend bet me and a few others $50 bucks each he could take a dump in the middle of Woodward during the parade! We were willing to pay the fifty to see it or have him arrested - either way.

The cops used to let people cross the Woodward during the parade between floats, bands, etc. and just north of the old Hudson's was where they let people cross Woodward. GP (his initials) showed up in a long trenchcoat and walked over to some guy selling newspapers and handed him a ten and asked for all the nickels he had. GP didn't care that he only got $4 in nickels (200 coins). He walked with a small crowd of kids he promised the nickels to toward the center of Woodward and dropped all those nickels to the pavement. Kids were scurrying around picking them up while GP quickly squatted down with the trenchcoat all around him on the ground picking up the nickels around him and noticably straining...

It took all of 20 seconds, he stood up, walking away and disappeared into the crowd on the other side leaving a steaming pile you know what in the middle of the Woodward parade route. Kids were still scrambling for nickels as he vanished.

And you think those bums are originals! GP became president of a huge business in later life, moved to Switzerland and remains as wierd amd wonderful as ever at age 70. .

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2335
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

River_rat - Thank you for the big laugh! BTW are his kids messsed up?

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 104
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walking home from work in Baltimore on Friday, I got stopped at a red light along with 20 other pedestrians. The gentlemen next to me whipped it out and took a piss while waiting for the light to change. No one blinked an eye, although lots of laughter was heard. I guess that goes with urban living. It's a story to tell and that is all it is. Kids were present and no one immediately rushed them to a psychologist. Good parenting requires explanations of things a child will inevitably see regardless of how long they are kept shielded in suburbia. A little side-note: when I was a kid growing up in Detroit, my dad used to take me to the zoo every year to watch the monkeys play with themselves. Another story to tell and laugh about and believe it or not--look back at with fond memories.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 517
Posted From: 12.47.224.8
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with you Dabirch, the homeless in Detroit need help not ridicule. Grow a heart people.

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 425
Posted From: 216.45.5.114
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This reminds me of my early childhood years where I remember seeing drunk white guys pissing on cars, walls, and houses when leaving Tiger games back in the day.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This reminds me of my early childhood years where I remember seeing drunk white guys pissing on cars, walls, and houses when leaving Tiger games back in the day.

Did you laugh at them and say "that's why I want to live in Detroit" or did you get in your car and think, "man what a messed up place, glad I don't have to live near the stadium"?

Morena
Username: Morena

Post Number: 426
Posted From: 216.45.5.114
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

Did you laugh at them and say "that's why I want to live in Detroit" or did you get in your car and think, "man what a messed up place, I'm glad I don't have to live near the stadium"?

I was a freakin little kid number one so I didn't drive and I lived on Cochran so I didn't have anywhere else to go. But I sure wished Budzyn and Nevers would've caught them because they would've done some damage.

Paulj
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 370
Posted From: 144.160.5.25
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

funny, these reasons are the ones I *don't* want to live in detroit anymore. It's only funny the first couple of years, I guess... After that it becomes sad and disheartening, but your mileage may vary.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 879
Posted From: 68.60.177.56
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live close to Woodward Avenue, and the Dream Cruise is like the yearly convention of pissing in public. You don't have to go to Detroit to enjoy this visually stunning olefactory treat.

Then there is Eastern Market on Lions tailgate days.

But that's another thread.

I just hope the pooping guy in Mexicantown was closer to Xochi's than Galanas. It would explain the food poisoning I got at Xochi's.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 519
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paulj, I think the benfits of living in the city far outweigh those isolated incidents, unless of course you live where people do that sort of thing all the time which would of course suck. It's obvious from this thread that these are isolated incidents, otherwise we'd have a very smelly problem on our hands... err streets.

Man, this thread is downright gross.

Dabirch

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

funny, these reasons are the ones I *don't* want to live in detroit anymore. It's only funny the first couple of years, I guess... After that it becomes sad and disheartening, but your mileage may vary.

Well stated.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2633
Posted From: 75.0.89.108
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"HAHAHA Quinn (another forumer) and myself were together on Jefferson Avenue driving a few weeks ago. Right in front of the Hertz were two bums (we were at the stop light) they started wrestling...then the one bum reached into the other bums pants and pulled his johnson out and started playing with it! Needless to say we were laughing our butts off." -"Ilovedetroit"

Shocker. You can imagine what was going on in that church basement when these two "randomly met at a McPhail event" (then randomly went home and began posting the exact same stories on this forum within minutes of each other).

"I live here because of the he-she's" -Quinn

You mean such as your buddy "Ilovedetroit"?

Dabirch I am sure your kids won't turn into maniacal killers if they see someone taking a crap on a sidewalk or getting jerked off." -"Ilovedetroit".

Another quality post from "Ilovedetroit"

"their parents teach them manners and respect." -"Ilovedetroit"

And you are a prime example of that not being the case in your family

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 520
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about you Dabirch, but I'm totally desensitized, it's sad and disheartening but it never "ruffles my feathers" anymore. It's kind of a non-issue to me personally (of course homelessness is an important social issue, but it doesn't affect my decision to live in the city.)

Jimelnino
Username: Jimelnino

Post Number: 477
Posted From: 24.192.134.204
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh these Detroit bums, why can't they be like the bums in every other major city in the world. Everywhere else, bums wear pressed suits, have tea at high noon, and clean up after themselves.

*sigh*

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 273
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is only slightly related, but I have to mention it altough it's slightly disgusting so you may not want to read any further.
A few years ago I was bow hunting a local state park for deer (wearing full camo and about 15 feet up a tree). I was sitting there quietly when I heard something running behind me. (For those of you that don't know you can't just turn your head quickly to look at something while deer hunting they'll spot you in a second). As I slowly turned my head I was shocked to see a woman dressed (half way) in a jogging suit about 30 feet away squating to take what turned out to be a #2 (The bad part was I could tell that by the audio =O ) I did not even have the time to let her know I was there and judging by the noises she was making I don't think she had any time to spare. I can't help but laugh my ass off anytime I see someone wearing the same jogging suit.

7even
Username: 7even

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 198.109.26.18
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Currently I am going to the University of Detroit Mercy. If it is time to tell dirty stories I have one. First of all the cleaning people at the school take more breaks then my car in rush hour. Secondly, last year someone dropped a shipment of butt brownies in front of the resident’s hall I lived in. When you add these up guess what happens… 4 months of simmering butt brownies.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 2294
Posted From: 4.229.105.37
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee.... in the burbs the only scandal we witness is someone taking a wizz behind a dumpster.... :-)

.... no... I tell a lie.... I also remember some hooligan going into a 7-Eleven, going over to the Dairy Case, taking a can of whipped cream... inhaling the nitrous-oxide... putting the whipped cream can back, and running out of the store....

In the burbs we never get the interesting stuff!

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 106
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the suburbs actually hold the greatest scandals---Hoffa, the Oakland County Child Killer, kids abducted from malls and found dead, etc. etc. etc.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 401
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the suburbs actually hold the greatest scandals---Hoffa, the Oakland County Child Killer, kids abducted from malls and found dead, etc. etc. etc.

Wow, two scandals from 30 years ago, couldn't dig up something more recent? And when was the last time a child was abducted from a mall and murdered in SE Michigan? The only instance of this I can think of was a young Detroit boy named D'Wan Sims who disappeared from Wonderland Mall, and that was 12 years ago. And as I recall about that case, most of the suspicion was on the mother (a Detroiter).

Paulmcall

Post Number: 717
Posted on Monday, June 12, 2006 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For all you into Juvenile yucks, why not cruise up and down Cass and you'll die laughing (or maybe just die).

Dabirch

Post Number: 1576
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 6:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I don't know about you Dabirch, but I'm totally desensitized, it's sad and disheartening but it never "ruffles my feathers" anymore.

ESD -- Just wait until you have kids.

Is it the end of the world? No. Do I think it will make my kids grow up to be "maniacal killers"? No.

Is it something that I should not have to witness, nor should I have to worry about my kids witnessing? Of course.

These things happen in all cities. And yes, you have to deal with it. I have been for years.

But my point was that it is not something to praise as "keeping it real." It sucks -- like getting a car stolen sucks, or getting mugged sucks.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10172
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 7:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The bums jerking each other off is a bit much, but in regards to the homes taking a shit, sorry, but that's a reality of being homeless. I'm sure these people quit being concerned about what "others" saw them doing long ago. If I had kids, I would explain to them that homelessness is one of the many ills of society that many refuse to acknowledge and simply prefer to turn their back on these people.

I would also explain how because the suburbs very little in comparison to the ailing city of Detroit, most end up in the city. Sort of a safe haven for them where they know they won't get fucked with.

Now I'll agree that it's not the most enlightening scene for children to see, but it's a reality of life that they should get used to early on, because in all honesty, homelessness is an aspect of life that won't be going away anytime soon.

What pisses me off most about threads like this as they always end up taking a stand point that lays the blame on the homeless. HOW INCONSIDERATE OF THEM, TAKING A SHIT IN PLAIN VIEW! Yeah, some reason I think being discrete or considerate to you and I ranks well below their concerns of where they are gonna sleep that night or what bin they will dig their next meal out of.

Fury13,

In addition to gritty, edgey, and keepin' it real I would like to add one more thing, reality. You see, in Detroit, they rug was tossed out long ago. The city has no place to sweep what many consider the undesirable aspects of life. They remain for all to see, a reminder of how some don't have it so well off, how some don't have a place they can call home and take a shit on the drop of a dime.

Now I'll watch as this thread continues to head down the path of "What can police do about the homeless in the CBD? They make my friends and I nervous when we are down there."

Cafe
Username: Cafe

Post Number: 1273
Posted From: 84.162.33.158
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, dogs get hit by cars. It is reality. Do I want to see that happen...nope. I don't want children to have to see it either. It does happen, yes it does. I guess you could say that is the high ways keeping it real. Come on SS, you sound like you are working at soup kitchens or for a non-profit helping to get people off the streets. Or maybe you are working to help politicians pass laws to help these people. You could put a port-a-potty in your front yard with a welcome sign on it.

Most people on the streets need mental help, but mental hospitals are..well, read this:

http://detnews.com/2003/specia lreport/0307/22/a07-221927.htm

Lack of funding, major corruption and people who think the mentally ill should be able to walk casually in and out of hospitals...good Lord, it is a miracle there aren't more people taking a shit out there.

The homeless population does make people nervous, not just in Detroit, all over the world. Just because it is reality, doesn't make it acceptable. And a father of a new born has a different point of view than a young fella with two dobermans and a Glock.

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 1178
Posted From: 198.30.81.2
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great post, Cafe. Makes you wonder why Detroit is having a hard-time "coming back to life." Is it the mentality of low-lifes who feel that everyone should just 'keep it real' by simply getting with the program? It is one thing to be sympathetic to the plight of the homeless. It is another ballgame to not expect people to frown upon the inhumane behaviors they display. There's a good percentage within the homeless population that are in their present situation based on poor choices earlier in their lives (drug use; 'keepin it real'; criminal behavior not related to mental illness, etc.). The fact that any of us are expected to paint the homeless with one broad stroke is asking for a bit too much sympathy/empathy. Unfortunately, a struggling and desperate city such as Detroit cannot afford to make the same mistakes with regards to its homeless when compared to San Francisco or NYC. Detroit is not in the same league.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10173
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You could put a port-a-potty in your front yard with a welcome sign on it.

I have one, it's just out my window behind the dumpster at the gas station. Though it does lack a sign. Hell, even the customers there buying gas use it, though I think this is do to their illiteracy. They are confusing "Pay at the Pump," with "Piss at the Pump," as I've seen more than a few customers pumping gas and taking a piss at the same time. Call it urban multitasking if you want.

As for helping out, I didn't realize there is a measuring stick that you have to achieve in order to be considered "helping." I give dollars when I feel the need, occasionally $10 to the guy who doesn't ask, have bought meals, bought beers, hired them to do yard work, gave all my cans, etc. Didn't realize that none of that counts unless I volunteer at a soup kitchen or install a porta potty.

(Message edited by supersport on June 13, 2006)

Username: 1630

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 71.159.22.4
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please. Thirty years ago in Greenwich Village in New York, I saw a guy defecating on 6th Avenue and 4th Street at about 8:30 a.m. Regularly used to have to be careful about where the street community aimed their respective urinary streams - no special occasions required. Detroit's not unique in this regard.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 894
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mantra while in Paris back in 1996: "Don't step in a puddle, especially if it hasn't rained."

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 521
Posted From: 69.220.142.7
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with you Supersport. IMO, kids don't need to see them crapping but kids who grow up exposed to some level of reality (i.e. people who are less fortunate, people who are different colors, people who are homeless, etc.) and are not sheltered deep in suburbia, will be better equipped to deal with the real world. From my experience, my friends who grew up in Detroit and Highland Park are much more tolerant and understanding of people who are different from them. They seem to have better social skills overall too. My friends who grew up in Sterling Heights (NOTE: I am not bashing SH) are more socially inept and deal with awkward social situations more poorly.

Just my 2 cents.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2634
Posted From: 69.221.35.253
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedog, the notion of "people who grow up exposed to some level of reality" can go both ways (exposure to professional/educated parents, friends, peers, a culture of seeking higher education, discipline, manners, values, respecting authority, etc).

Likewise those that are not trapped deep in the inner city (or only in the city for that matter) will be better equipped to deal with the real world.

Furthermore, people that I've known/met that grew up in Detroit/Highland Park were certainly not more understanding, tolerant, nor had better social skills. Most were just like people from everywhere else, and some were worse in terms of their exposure and tolerance.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 524
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Furthermore, people that I've known/met that grew up in Detroit/Highland Park were certainly not more understanding, tolerant, nor had better social skills. Most were just like people from everywhere else, and some were worse in terms of their exposure and tolerance.

Metrodeguy, I'm just speaking from experience. Your right though about the importance of peers and parents, family friends etc. They are as important as location.

quote:

Likewise those that are not trapped deep in the inner city (or only in the city for that matter) will be better equipped to deal with the real world.

Very true. Since modern America is so dominated by suburbia it is important to have experiences with it. Being trapped in a homogenous inner city is as bad as being trapped in deep suburbia although inner cities tend to be much more diverse than suburban areas (although there are certainly exceptions).

Personally, I grew up around a lot of different people, went to exteremly diverse schools (both in race and income) and my parents and friends also exposed me to a lot. I think I'm better off because of it. On the other hand, I know those who were exposed to little diversity and I think they are worse off, and limit their experiences to this day, which is too bad.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2635
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside, agreed, although I disagree with you about the diversity levels of inner cities (different concept than a city's CBD-Midtown versus the rest of a city).

I too grew up with a great deal of diversity (racial, economic, political, educational, etc) and have seen the results of lack of exposure by many people on both of the extreme ends.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 527
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Eastside, agreed, although I disagree with you about the diversity levels of inner cities (different concept than a city's CBD-Midtown versus the rest of a city).

Metrodetguy, much of the city of Detroit is not very diverse it's true, but there are numerous neighborhoods which are very, very diverse. I don't understand what you're saying about CBD-Midtown. I'm talking about Detroit city neighborhoods where the people (and families) are concentrated.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2636
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside, agreed about several neighborhoods being diverse. My point was that those select neighborhoods as well as the CBD-Midtown aren't generally reflective of the rest of the city. The same could be said in many other cities as well.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 528
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The same could be said in many other cities as well.

Metrodetguy, this is where we really diagree. I take it as common knowledge that most other big american cities are very diverse with tons of immigrants. Detroit is a wierd exception in this regard. Detroit only has a handful of areas with immigrant populations.

OK, this is getting way OT now.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2637
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ESD, I was simply pointing out that a given city's CBD-Midtown isn't necessarily reflective of the rest of the city. That is especially the case here in Detroit (those few select neighborhoods, the CBD, and Midtown). And yes, Detroit is severely lacking in terms of immigrants, compared to other major cities.

Eastsidedog

Post Number: 529
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

ESD, I was simply pointing out that a given city's CBD-Midtown isn't necessarily reflective of the rest of the city.

Well yeah, I'd say these core areas are usually reflective of the metro area, like Eastern Market on a Saturday. I still think Detroit has plenty to offer to people of all walks of life. And there's more and more immigrants all the time now. One must look on the bright side Metrodetguy. :-)

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2080
Posted From: 69.246.29.74
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm happy that our many neighborhood bums can provide such a boost to some folks' dining experience (have some great Mexican food, then laugh and point at the subhumans on your way back to Beanerton Heights, then share the story on an internet forum...)
There are lots of homeless around here for a number of reasons...there's Ray-Guns de-institutionalization of the mentally ill, there's drug and alcohol abuse (a lot of these guys used to get General Assistance, which paid for their rooms and gave em just enough change each month to buy 40's)
There's development of the Cass Corridor, which has pushed more dysfuntional people into SWD, but mostly, this area is probably the most comfortable part of the city to be homeless.
There are ample tracts of open land for camping, there a number of places that hand out food frequently, and the spare changing ops are good.
One tribe of about 3-4 guys frequents my area, hitting up diners at Mexican Village with stories like "excuse me, I haven't eaten anything in a couple days, could you give me some change?"...Of course, a liquor store is kitty-corner from MV, so these guys frequently pass out behind the liquor store. Sometimes one of this bunch stands at the entrance to the Ambassador Bridge, where slow traffic guarantees him ample coin flow.
Quite frankly, the alleys can be kinda grungy, and who doesn't like a clean place to go to the bathroom?
The homeless situation here does not even hold a candle to the situation in parts of SF and LA, where I've seen entire city blocks lined with cardboard boxes only inches from each other.
It's sad to think that the quality of care for the mentally ill seems to have peaked in the 19th Century.

Leob
Username: Leob

Post Number: 47
Posted From: 69.14.9.224
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever happened to gas station bathrooms ?
Nowadays with the every gas stop being a Quicki-mart
valuable retail space has pushed out (pun intended) the restrooms! There are far fewer of these conveniences EVERYWHERE let alone downtown and the CBD. When ya gotta go.... ya gotta go!
Don't be surprised to see Mr. 5 Button suit dropping a load at the next light pole.

Paulmcall

Post Number: 719
Posted on Tuesday, June 13, 2006 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with gas station bathrooms is (if you can find one) idiots shit all over the floor and leave the place a mess. No one in their right mind
wants to let the general public in when there is no respect for the next person coming along.
Plus the owners don't want to clean up after some ungrateful slobs.

Nainrouge
Username: Nainrouge

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are hardly any public bathrooms in the city - mainly because people do make a mess of them. What we need are self-cleaning toilets like they have in Seattle and Europe.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/ local/162784_toilets02.asp

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.