Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Boblo boat may sail again « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 619
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's to great hear that this treasure might be making its way back to Detroit soon.

SENTIMENTAL JOURNEY: Boblo boat may sail again
Doctor plans to restore the Ste. Claire to include movie theater, restaurants, bars

December 3, 2006

Email this Print this BY MARGARITA BAUZA

FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Dr. Ron Kattoo's childhood was filled with sun-soaked trips to historic Boblo Island, where he spent summers dancing, picnicking and riding on roller coasters with friends and family.

Since the Canadian-owned amusement park shut down 13 years ago, Kattoo, a hard-charging doctor at Henry Ford Hospital, has followed every development regarding the island and the magnificent steamboats that transported him there.

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=2006612030567

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 96
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is awesome news. Maybe Someday I will have my wedding reception there who knows...

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 467
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets twist again... Boblo Time is near!!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 955
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It ain't sailing with me on it. That rusty bucket of bolts should have been scrapped a quarter-century ago.

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 236
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll be on the maiden voyage!

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 202
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outstanding news!

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 311
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Free Press, lets spell Lorain, Ohio correctly, please. And I'm all for the idea as long as he's making a serious effort to restore it in a historically minded way. We don't need another floating birthday cake on the river.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3176
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, you're in luck... it's not gonna have Las Vegas on its' port-o-call list!

I remember taking the boat to Boblo as a child and as a young adult. A wonderful experience.

I'm looking forward to a evening moonlight cruise on the river and Lake St. Clair.

I still remember hearing the boat steam engines pumping along with the beat of the tunes over the loudspeakers... A nostalgic blast from the past.

The riparian views will be phenomenal!

(Message edited by Gistok on December 03, 2006)

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 774
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Busterwmu wrote, "I'm all for the idea as long as he's making a serious effort to restore it in a historically minded way."

If the choice is between eventual scrapping or a clownish "restoration," I'd pick the botched job instead of scrapping. At least with a half-baked "restoration," there would still be a chance to someday make it look more historically correct. Can't do that if the boat's a pile of kindling.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4049
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ray, what's your disdain for this craft being restored and put back into use? No one's asking anyone to ride it in its current condition. Read the article- the guy wants to FIX it up and then have people go out on it. What part of the restore did you miss here??

Ray1936

Post Number: 957
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, it would be cheaper to build a new boat from scratch. The deterioration of that vessel over the years makes it economically foolish to try to restore it. Intentions are good, but follow the money. It ain't gonna happen.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4051
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, I understand the practicality of the costs of building a brand new boat and the economics of restoring this boat. Both of these ventures are far and above my budget. But if these people have the means to do it and WANT to do it- for whatever reasons they may see fit (whether it's sentimental or even long term financial gain), I say let them do it. It's nothing out of my pocket or yours.

But let's just say that they miraculously DO make it happen, I still don't understand your initial reaction of never wanting to set foot on this boat.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 188
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The deterioration of that vessel over the years makes it economically foolish to try to restore it. Intentions are good, but follow the money. It ain't gonna happen.

Money isn't everything, Ray. If you read the story, you'd have seen he's a doctor ($$$) and is doing it as part of a dream of his. He's not doing it to make money.
Besides, some people hold historical value
above financial value.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4054
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Given the hypothesis where you could have two identical boats, one the restored boat and a brand new boat- I know exactly which one people would favor.

Sometimes sheer economic practicality falls wayside to good ol' human sentimentality. Obviously the Bob-Lo boats have ferried enough people up and down the Detroit River to have garnered these feelings for the good ol' days.

Ray1936

Post Number: 958
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, if the guy wants to do it and has the means, more power to him. But it sure ain't gonna go to Bob-Lo any more, is it?

I don't want to set foot on that boat because it is rotten, and even restoration will have me declining getting onto it.

I'm not particularly fond of physicians, either.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 50
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1975: High school freshman with 'feathered' bangs; wearing white Levi's and a cute as heck capped sleeved t-sirt. Dancing on the boat to; "Rock The Boat, Don't Rock the boat baby; Rock The Boat, don't tip the boat over!"
Oh, I'd do it again in a skinny minute!

Smogboy

Post Number: 4055
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray, you really don't understand restoration do you?

I agree, nothing will ever be the same way it ever was but you fail to understand the emotional appeal of certain objects & places. Why do people make pilgrammages to famous battlegrounds? What are certain places recognized as sacred or holy? Why do we have ceremonies? It's a part of our human condition to harken back to a simpler, warmer, good time in our lives.

I'm also befuddled by what you consider restoration. Don't you think a resoration of the boats would include the possible replacement of said rotten parts? Or is your perception of restoration just a fresh coat of paint? Think about some of the other restoration projects that have happened not just around this town (the Fox Theater & Gem Theater comes to mind) and how they're actually better than the way they were back in the day. Restoration can preserve what was grand about a place and actually IMPROVE upon it for future generations to enjoy.

You have some strange biases and perceptions there, Ray.

Just my observation.

Ray1936

Post Number: 959
Posted on Sunday, December 03, 2006 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naw, I agree with you on restoration, smogboy. I'm not really a "tear that schitt" down person except when restoration is not economically feasible. MC Depot comes to mind. But I wouldn't trust a restored hull of a 100-year old boat for my safety, just as I wouldn't fly on the Wright Brothers plane in the Smithsonian.

I also guess that my childhood Bob-Lo trips didn't particularly register in my subconscious as memorable. My loss. :-)

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walked all over that boat about four years ago and I didn't worry at all. The floors are all solid and there has been a lot of work done on it. It looks really nice. The big hold up was getting the engine running. I think the current owners were estimating it to be about a million, but I think they were estimating high to cover themselves. I don't think they wanted to start on that until they knew it could be finished.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10968
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could have bought a new house instead of this nearly 100 year old place.

I could have bought a newer car when I wrecked my first car, but I didn't, I got a 1969 Camaro for my daily driver.

My next car, more of the same, a 1970 Challenger R/T, which I still have.

My third ride I bought and my current daily driver is a 1989 Formula, a good 18 years old.

All would probably fit the bill for your qualifications as "rusty bucket of bolts," but ya know what? I love all of them and they all hold a nostalgic value to me, one that some people would never understand. If I have my way, some day I'll likely have a daily driver that dates back to the 50's or 60's, as I'd take an old station wagon any old day for a family truckster over a mini van or SUV.

I say good luck to this guy and wish him well, hoping that he sees his dreams fullfilled so that people like myself, those who never got a chance to ride the boat, can some day do so.

Fortress_warren
Username: Fortress_warren

Post Number: 270
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 5:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SS, now I know why you're knowledgeable about late 60's muscle cars. High school classmate had a 70 Challenger, red with a white vinyl top, Tampon in a Tomato soup can is the way he described it.

Coming back from an Ozzy Osbourne concert, doing 30 on I-75, so as to not draw any attention, got rammed from behind. Rear bumper was against the front seat backs. He was so wasted, said to the passenger, "I think we got hit". Didn't have a scratch on either one. Just loose as a goose from all the drugs. Had fun time for an hour or so with the man, after the accident.

Johnberk
Username: Johnberk

Post Number: 50
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An interesting twist:

From Sunday's Free Press article at the beginning of this thread: "Kattoo, associate director of Henry Ford's intensive care unit, and his Maximus Corp. -- which he formed with friends Stephen Najor and Nicole Orow -- are in the final stages of acquiring the boat from Diane Evon."

Article from the Friday, December 1 Free Press: Couple charged with bilking Target stores In 16th District Court, Suzanne Celeskey and Stephen Najor were charged with using a computer to commit a crime, a 7-year felony, and identity theft and larceny, both 5-year felonies.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 10985
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do to save the Boblo boat...right?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just heard on Ch. 7:
Boblo Boat Ste. Claire Model on Ebay
Bidding starts at $2,800

http://cgi.ebay.com/Museum-Qua lity-Model-Bob-lo-Boat-Ste-Cla ire-Boblo-Isl_W0QQitemZ2600648 64724QQihZ016QQcategoryZ95156Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZVi ewItem

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.