Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Most annoying commercial's or radio ad's...It's that time again « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 305
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine has to be the Overstock commercial with the lady singing. Since I havn't heard the Rockettes commercial yet this year that one takes it's place as the suicidal trigger. The radio ad, although it has nothing to do with the holidays, has to be the guy that says "A quicken loans company!" What's your "favorite"??

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1130
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most annoying radio commercial: It might be the same as yours, I think Rock Financial is a Quicken Loans co. I can't stand David Hall's low-rent Midwestern accent, and the over the hill heavy metal guy singing is too much.

Most annoying grammar mistake: When people don't know how to use apostrophes. You ONLY use apostrophes when it's a possessive, like "My father's car." You don't use it when it's a plural, like "Most annoying commercials" or "radio ads." OK? PLEASE!!!!!! When in doubt, leave it out!

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 194
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any replacement window ad, especially Hansons. That guys has "used car salesman" written all over him.

All Art Van commercials are on my list too. Everything is always on sale. The sale always ends "tomorrow". Does anyone ever pay full price there? Do people really fall for the so-called "sales"?

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock Financial commercials are bad. I generally turn them off. "Its time to liiiiiive! YEAH!"

No Rockettes this year. I think the contract with them ran out and they didn't want to renew it. We have "White Christmas" this year.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 766
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the "it's so bad it's good category": the Dietrich fur commercials that have been running on TV since they were shot in the 70's, the ones with the babe with Farrah-hair riding on horseback through the snow to a cheesy smooth jazz jingle (cue Ron Burgundy jazz flute solo)

Honorable mention:

the Hagopian brothers carrying on their feud over the local media

Richard and Carl from ACE diamond jewelers

The Wallside windows lady "we ARE the factory"

and all un-funny (supposed to be funny) commercials that run on WRIF and other mega chain stations, mostly lame national ad campaigns, i.e. BK's 1$ breakfast menu "it's like getting a coal fired power plant furnace for $367 million"

Wash_man

Post Number: 195
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lexus commercial where someone is "surprised" with a new vehicle for Christmas. Like that really happens around here!

Ltrain
Username: Ltrain

Post Number: 111
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not holiday related but Mellencamp is going to make me buy a Toyota if I hear that GM ad too many more times. It's hard to watch football with that "This is our country" crap.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 788
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any KFC or Taco Bell ad

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw the one with Sally Field selling osteoporosis medication. She says that her girlfriend complained of having to set aside time every week to take her pill and now she only needs to take them once a month! Whoopee!

I am a pretty busy guy but I never found it too cumbersome to spend 15 seconds taking a pill! I hate all of these drug commercials.

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 69
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate commercials in general but i really do hate any feminine hygiene or male enhancement product commercials. We know the products are out there, you don't have to tell us anymore than that! *cringe*

Commercials are always louder than the program you are watching or listening to. To quote Homer Simpson "Its a scientific fact!".

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 726
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those "We are Amway" ones were still running weeks after the election. Come on Dick, pull the plug!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9024
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "That's Jarrod" commercials make me pull over and puke! The sax is overwhelming and it sounds like Karen Newman singing...ugh!

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 504
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There used to be these commercials for Pinnacle Sportswear (not sure if they still exist) where this like 9 year old girl just sang as loud as she could for 30 seconds with no music or anything. It was just her wailing away, "I'm talking bout the pininin-acle sporortswear, my dear..."
I was really bothered mostly by a 9 year old calling me "dear." That commercial was embarrassing to listen to. It gave me goosebumps of shame for the girl, but I could never turn it off. Sometimes I sing it to myself against my own best wishes.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Rock Financial commercials are bad. I generally turn them off. "Its time to liiiiiive! YEAH!"

Damn straight - that bastard is a channel changer no matter what I am listening to.

KFC - Kentucky Fried Chicken using "Sweet Home Alabama" for a themesong: not only makes no sense, but it would appear they only purchased the license for 4 bars of the damn recording. UUUUUGH.

ABSOLUTELY ALL PHARMACEUTICAL ADVERTISEMENTS

These should be made illegal immediately. If I can not purchase those products, why the hell would they market them to me ? ? Pushers.

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

KFC - Kentucky Fried Chicken using "Sweet Home Alabama" for a themesong: not only makes no sense, but it would appear they only purchased the license for 4 bars of the damn recording. UUUUUGH.

Yep. Also, any commercial by Comcast.

Southofeight
Username: Southofeight

Post Number: 21
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure which jewelry store it is, but the radio ad is some wife talking to her husband and using the analogy of "you know I would never buy you, say, wrenches. Wrenches aren't something I know." It's just the cadence of her saying that sentence that really grosses me out. She sucks.

Not a big fan of the Comcast commercials but the one with Joel Zumaya makes me laugh

56packman

Post Number: 767
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southofeight--those jewelry commercials you cite above are a prime example of the "unfunny-funny commercial". There is another jewelry store that uses quotations from (supposed) past satisfied customers, and one of the "husbands" has the most effeminate voice. Kinda hard to believe the commercial.
The annoying rocker that sings the R-O-C-K jingle has been around for years I remember him singing passionately about luggage in the early 90's. He does a spot for a Harley Davidson-Buell dealer too. He's the exact thing the "real men of genius" campaign spoofs.

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite would be:

"Head On...apply directly to your forehead..."

Then the Black guy comes out mocking the commercial and states, "I can't stand your commercial...but I love your product."

Umstucoach
Username: Umstucoach

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The annoying rocker that sings the R-O-C-K jingle has been around for years I remember him singing passionately about luggage in the early 90's. He does a spot for a Harley Davidson-Buell dealer too. He's the exact thing the "real men of genius" campaign spoofs.

Just imagine that guy in the recording commercials, squinting his eyes, looking like that by singing these commercials he is somehow hurting. That he is putting his heart in soul in the words, "It's time to live, yeah."

I also "like" the jewelry commercial with the women who says that she wouldn't by a wrench without consulting a wrench expert. WTF IS A WRENCH EXPERT???????

Don't forget the Walt Michel's RV Center commercials.

Oh yeah, and that the government and private banks are liquidating foreclosed houses. If my last name is A-L I can call now, if it is M-Z I can call tomorrow.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 361
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Rock Financial's are the worst. Commercial FM radio commercials are the main reason I usually listen to public radio or Canadian AM radio. The cannucks don't insult their listeners with those overblown marketing schticks.

Wash_man

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I got the family deal!" Car dealer ad bugs the heck out of me.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 421
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of horrible jewelry commercials, I can't stomach one more "every kiss begins with k".

Honorable mention, the points commercial for National City with the disco jingle singing "I like that". That damn music gets stuck in my head for the rest of the day!

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1348
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one with the screaming falling sun....Uncle John's Subs ? Annoying as all hell !

Cambrian

Post Number: 365
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes those jewelry ones are pretty bad too. Love the message that all real men throw down lotsa dough for their women if they really love them.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 219
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Commercials for companies that don't need to advertise, like DTE. If I want electricity, you're really the only viable choice I have, and if I am watching TV, then chances are I am already a customer. stop spending my money on ads!

Jared commercials have guaranteed I will never set foot in their store.

Commercials for things I can't get where I live piss me off. Sonic restaurants continue to tease me with their commercials, yet there are none withing a 500 mile radius. Same goes for Comcast commercials. My city give me one "choice" for cable, and you aren't it. Get off my TV. You'd think my cable provider could do something to change those to something else, but then again, maybe they like teasing me with someone else's new-subscriber specials, knowing I can't sell my house in this market and move to Comcast's territory.

Oh - I almost forgot! Car commercials that only advertise employee pricing. Maybe the problem with the big 3 is that their ads only target their own employees, and the rest of us don't like the bait-and-switch tactic.

Justbeamensch
Username: Justbeamensch

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

David Hall and Golden from DOC would both look better in gold lame' full length cocktail gowns. They both have faces that were made for radio.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone notice how the overstock.com woman says "Overshtock dot com" like she's Swedish or something?

I also have the K Jewelers commercial...puke!

Qweek
Username: Qweek

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

O.K. volume up...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =pod4jIKT_kA

56packman

Post Number: 769
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once in a great while I find myself over on the
(shudder) AM band, trying to find a more immediate traffic report. They run commercials on WJR with a target audience of four people in the metro area "XYZ manufacturing, with cold roll forming machines up to 68,000 tons and 49 inches", an "ISO 9001 supplier" (which means you invested heavily in three-ring binders and published reams of meaningless instructions on one will follow with any regularity). I get back off of that band as soon as possible, for fear I'll start wanting a Lincoln town car and take up golf.
Oh yeah, you have to hear David Oreck blabber on about his eight pound vacuum.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 722
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shave....
.....hate to say it, but that HEADON advert sells product.....

Qweek

Post Number: 79
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

EMPIRE, call 5-88-2-300 empire. That jumbo headed cartoon, I can't take it anymore, how many years are they going to run this lame ad? I wouldn't call that company just because of the ad, maybe if they ditched the damn thing and stopped playing it 5 times an hour their sales would increase.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 500
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quinn,
Sabine Ehrenfeld, the overstock.com gal is German...or something.

Cambrian

Post Number: 368
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought those Overstock commercials were humorous when she said "It's all about the O" On those HBO Real Sex Series shows O was slang for orgasm.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 330
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This is our country" JCM ad is my number 1.

Followed closely by the Ford commercial with the putz coming in for an interview and the guy is running late at the airport, so he decides to haul ass over there to pick him up.

3 questions:

1. How does he figure out which airline it is?

2. They let you leave cars unattended at the curb now?

3. When he leaves the office, he just so happens to be parked right in front the building? I've never had the pleasure of such convenient parking when going for an interview. Must be nice.

Hmmph.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 527
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Empire commercials--nothing like a quasi-homosexual senior citizen selling carpet

"And you get a free turkey!"

Dillpicklesoup
Username: Dillpicklesoup

Post Number: 249
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock Financial, any of the replacement window companies' commercials- art van commercials, empire commercials, all of the prescription drug commercials-
sure glad I have a new house and good furniture and good health- so I don't have to buy any of the crap for sale on tv!

Hysteria
Username: Hysteria

Post Number: 1778
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

any of the replacement window companies

Except the one with Samantha Brown.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1122
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Worst: Headon
Best: Geico

Justbeamensch
Username: Justbeamensch

Post Number: 66
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brain whathisass ? on the Hansons window replacement ads. They did a lousy job on my house, and he looks like he's auditioning for the summer stock dinner theatre presentation of Planet of the Apes

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two great points, Udmphikapbob! I hate DTE spots and billboards downtown for chains that have never opened in Detroit or have pulled out long ago (I'm talking to you 7-11).

"I'm Amway, you got a problem with that?" Yea, I do. If you ask me to join your pyramid scheme one more time you're going to have a real problem.

"If Dick DeVos isn't elected I'm thinking, 'crap! I gotta move!" The "Crap" part is verbatum. I loved that dumbass ad.

Rock's cheesy metal ads are so done. At least don't have to hear David Hall mancrushing all over Billups this year. "So, Chauncy, you going to come over and play with my Hot Wheels? Huh? Maybe give me a little kiss too, huh, Chauncy?" "Ahh, no, D-Hall." I do love singing that "It's time to liiiiiIiiIiiive, yeah!" It's so lame it's hilarious.

And who buys their spouse a car? I'm not married but I imagine my wife would be pretty pissed I committed the family to such a purchase behind her back.

All the Comcast ads suck. Especially that new spokeswoman with the bobble head. Once one of those anti-DirecTV spots actually cut into a show I was watching.

"Are you tough enough to buy a ______ truck?" Nope. You just lost a sale. Almost as bad as Melloncamp.

Geez, this got me all fire up! Sorry for rambling.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 963
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any car commercial that shows the vehicle being driven in a reckless, negligent manner (as most of them do) with the sub-warning: "Professional driver on closed course. Do not do this yourself". I'm sure we all do donuts with our cars, and drive them through standing water at 60 MPH, don't we?

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 324
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here in Lansing we have the Sundance Auto commercials where the guy dresses like a cowboy, rides horses, and carries a fake gun. And in his extremely high pitched voice yells,"come to sundance where we shoot down the competition, Yeaa Hawww!!" Which leaves me thinking WTF were in Michigan not Texas. What the hell do we need a cowboy auto sellsman for?

Then there is the soaring eagle casino commercials. I find it funny when they advertise Sinbad like anyone cares. Then there is that old woman who goes OOOH and WHOOO through out the whole commercial with her husband or whoever and her voice is TERRIBLE.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"National City with the disco jingle singing 'I like that' "

OMFG - that one makes me want to vomit, gets stuck in my head too. Testimony to its crapiness is that I never realised it was a bank commercial at all.

Channel changer.

A_franklins_son
Username: A_franklins_son

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All commercials on 97.1 fm (I often question myself why I even listen to that station, it seems they play more commercials than actual programming). The one that gets me most (I'm not sure which mortgage company) starts, "Hey, Michelle. How do you like my new boat?" There's another one for the same company that uses the same two actors talking about having to work on a Saturday and ends with, "Work to live, don't live to work." 866-554-4USA is the jingle.

I don't think I've heard anything from Ray Vincent in a while. Hopefully he died.

Stryker81
Username: Stryker81

Post Number: 11
Posted on Monday, December 04, 2006 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot stand those Victory Honda commercials. They are so stupid and corny. The worst one is when they tried to copy off of Forrest Gump with the "life is like a box of chocolates..." bit. Horrible. The Geico caveman is starting to wear out his welcome too. *sigh*

Wash_man

Post Number: 203
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 8:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard two more on the way in today that make my skin crawl. "Don Massey Cadillac" Don Massey does the voice over and slurs his words. I don't think he even owns the dealership now. And also "The Doll Hospital and Toy Soldier Shop" jingle drives me nuts.

One_shot

Post Number: 307
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot about the WRENCH EXPERT!!!

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "Suburban Collection" female singer goes sooooo over the top I want to throttle her...but thankfully I haven't heard that one lately.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 733
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kay Jewelers: With that stupid night before Christmas story. Then ends with that chick basically moaning: "Every kiss begins with kkkkkkk"

and that computer training commercial on 89X: "What are you worth? I mean what are you worth in the job market?"

Mattric43
Username: Mattric43

Post Number: 78
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate the Walt Michaels RV super store in Belleville. No one reffers to the exit as the Walt michaels RV mile. I checked into that. The one that is super stupid is the now fast has become affordable. Comcast high speed internet.
I also hate how comercials are louder than the program. Another Homer Quote " Look how loud I have to talk"

Cambrian

Post Number: 369
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reading all the posts it looks like Rock Financial deservingly wins "The Most Annoying Advertising" award, 2nd place goes to Kay Jeweler's. Honorable mention to the Texas transplant in Lansing car sales man.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1306
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock Financial seems to own so much of the advertising for so many programs and events - Im starting to fear that the guy on the commercial is gonna run for Governor next time around.

(speaking of which - yeah Dick, give up the Amway cult ads already. I dont even know where to buy that crap if I wanted it!)

Smartarmloan-nomoneydown-forec losure-atcha.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome back Geico Caveman - a guaranteed smile every time they play you.

Two new ones to really hate --------

1- this awful GAP commercial "Peace, Love, The Gap" ................ keep playing it guys, it's really starting to do you good (blahhcchh!!!)

2- The other jewelry store commercial. ZALES - they must play that BRANCH girls song and I hear it over and over and over and over. Not a bad commercial, but the repetitiveness is going to kill me.

Gap - Zales - Gap - Zales - Gap - Gap - Gap - Zales - Rock - Zales - Gap

Enduro

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Gap complaint reminded me of the Mercury campaign they just phased out in favor of the hot spokesmodel. The ones where you'd hear Paula Cole shrill "It's my liiiIIIIIFFFEE!" at the end of every spot. Arrgh!

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 175
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1. "Do you have a Beaumont doctor? ..... Do you?"

2. "If I can't have your vote, can I interest you in a closet organizer?"

"Favorite" jingles:

1. "So-cial Se-cuuuu-rityyyy / It's allll we doooooo"

2. "Walt Mi-chael's RV Cen-ter / The ul-ti-mate rec-re-ay-tional su-per store!"

3. "Mo-der-nis-tic / Sim-ple and quick / We're the first with ex-per-i-ence and qual-ity"

Hubrez
Username: Hubrez

Post Number: 47
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have 2:
Those Rock Financial commercials.
The one with the 2 used car salesman who look like pimps...(nasty nate, I think one of the names)

But the one that makes me laugh is the guy who wears a black wig and is dress like a woman ironing clothes,,,and its about a roach exterminator......huh LOL.

Detroitej72

Post Number: 426
Posted on Tuesday, December 05, 2006 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote: and that computer training commercial on 89X: "What are you worth? I mean what are you worth in the job market?"

______________________________ ___________________

I think the one they used to run with the girl obnoxiously say "what, you didn't make over $40,000...and what else you didn't get a 16% raise...I gotta ask why not?"

That makes me want to punch my radio.

56packman

Post Number: 778
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don Massey=Jaba the hut

(not to be confused with Jjaba the Dexter bus)

Mudflap
Username: Mudflap

Post Number: 189
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone seen the roach killer commercial with the business owner dressed in drag singing his roach killer jingle to the tune of Harry Bellefonte's "Day-O"? It is the lowest budget piece of crap I have ever seen. It cracked me up the first few times i saw it, but now it just bugs me...

Ribalda
Username: Ribalda

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The man who wrote and performs the Rock Financial commercial goes to the same dentist that I do and also lives down the street from my dentist (my dentist told me his name, and you know what, I think that I may have forgotten it on purpose). I told my dentist to tell him to try to avoid me because when I see him I am going to smack him.

Kris Peterson

56packman

Post Number: 779
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Real men of genius

"Mr. rock-anthem jingle singer"

Umstucoach

Post Number: 115
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell 'em about the discount, Harry!!!

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 446
Posted on Wednesday, December 06, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm late joining this thread, so you folks have beaten me to some of my most-hated commercials. Bongman mentioned the ones for Jimmy John's Subs. I don't find them to be annoying so much as creepy. There is something eerie and weird about them. OK, now that I think about it, the one with the falling sun making that freakin' noise IS annoying. As a devoted fan of Tiger Baseball On The Air, one painful aspect of sticking with them all season is that if you listen to them on the radio, you hear the same spots ALL SEASON. But you know, if you switch over to the TV, you can see some different ones... ALL SEASON. The killing part with the radio spots is that some of them are back the next year, too. One of my guilty pleasures (oh, the transcendent shame) is listening to "sports talk radio" while in my car. It is obvious that the demographic group at whom the commercials are aimed (a group which I am not young enough to be in) is guys who are broke enough to want to have their home re-financed, guys who are also suffering from erectile dysfunction.

Pagesix1536
Username: Pagesix1536

Post Number: 15
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

800-333-ROCK
You know the song...sing it.

Heh... his voicemails are funny sometimes. I kinda look forward to them on fridays.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 161
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to co-sign on the Rock, Jared, window, Art Van although I really REALLY hate Gardner White. Those "This Friday and Saturday only" only to run the same ad for Tuesday and Wednesday the following week. "You'd expect to pay $5199 for this sectional, but at Gardner White you pay only $1499, a 72% savings!!!" Who in the hell would expect to pay $5199 for a sectional, especially from Gardner White. I would expect the base price to be $1499.

I remember that Wallside Windows advertised the 6th window free ad and I was considering it, but the ad said the last day was Monday, Nov. 13. So, I passed and once again over the pass weekend the same ad was run. I beginning to think that the 6th window should always be free!

The commercial with the singing/screaming rabbit. I think its for Skittles or Starburst candy. That one drives me nuts! It's so damn loud. I remember one time it came on and I couldn't find the remote (yes, I'm one of the folks that forgets that I could walk up to the TV sometimes) and had to endure the whole commercial. Awful!!

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 176
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two more:

1.) "Detroit at home-dot-com / Detroit's hometown homepage."

2.) "Doc-tor Ar-maa-niii / 8-8-8 8-oh-8 eyes."

Both can be heard ad nauseum on WWJ.

One_shot

Post Number: 308
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the commercial from years ago? NATIONWIDE WAREHOUSE!!!!... NATIONWIDE WAREHOUSE!!! What were/are they anyways?

Detroitej72

Post Number: 427
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any commercial with Harry Glands and Dan Burke's mortgage company. Who the hell would name thier kid Harry with a last name of Glands?

Also hate that tool of an attorney Neil Rockhiend saying "I keep a notepad next to my bed at night", and " I will never sell out". Yeh, right.

Enduro

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mudflap! I forgot about the tranny roach killer. Who would invite that mental case into their home?

How about those annoying Al-Anon radio ads? The New York macho dude "I saw my friends taking drugs and it looked like they were having a good time." Yea, right.

Enduro

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harry Glands might have one of the worst names ever but at least he's not some headset phone dork!

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Who the hell would name thier kid Harry with a last name of Glands?",

It gets worse. It's spelled "Glanz"... which is very close to "glans." Hmmm.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OH one I LOVE (but I'm sure will grow to hate) for now is the Bricker Tunis jingle. Simple, short, totally ridiculous.

Bricker Tunis,
ya - Bricker Tunis,
ya - Get to know a furrier!

Fabulous

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to second the mention of the "Do you have a Beaumont doctor" ads. The background music sounds like impending doom. Then, an ominous voice intones that you're seriously risking your life if you don't have a Beaumont doctor (or at least implies that).

Ah, motivation through fear. Works every time.

56packman

Post Number: 783
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the hospital ads (I think it's Harper hospital) that STARTS with some British chick over-enunciating every word, who does the set up, then cuts to an American male voice who asks the question e.g. "Dr. Hibbard, what happens if you eat too many pork rinds?" then, finally you get to hear what the doc has to say. I just noticed they dumped the British babe and had an American woman do all of the talking until they pop the question to the Doc.

Umstucoach

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, the Neil Rockheind commercials, what an arrogant jerk: "They don't have enough PEOPLE, to handle me."

Anybody notice with the Glanz and Burke commercial the say "head-set, fast food phone jockey" Does that make any sense? Wouldn't it be better to say "fast food head-set phone jockey?"

Pagesix1536
Username: Pagesix1536

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Me and dog want you ta go ta Telegraph Road....Right now...Get a good deal!"

Mel Far Superstar was another one that always bugged me.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 263
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Annoying! Very very annoying!

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 331
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Speaking of annoying commercials, I haven't seen one for Old Navy in a while. Stand by...

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 450
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billy Mays for Oxyclean, screaming MY ass off. Can I punch him, Dad, can I, huh?

Wash_man

Post Number: 216
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gone but not forgotten...
"You've got an uncle in the furniture business, Joshua Doore" I can still hear that damn jingle.

Qweek

Post Number: 84
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How could he have gone unmentioned up until now? Go ahead Ravine, make it a good one!

Bushay
Username: Bushay

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got one 4 letter word that fixes everything.

TIVO!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3215
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or how about all those stupid infomercials that have a British or Aussie host, and the audience makes sounds of amazement or astonishment....

Barf-o-rama!

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1454
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if they are the "most annoying ", but WJR must hold the all-time Detroit record for packing the greatest number of commercials into one hour of listening than any other station. From Paul W. Smith in the morning to Mitch in the afternoon, when they "pause for a few words from our sponsors", you can take a ten minute walk, switch to three other stations and then return to 760 on your radio dial, and chances are they are still going on and on and on and on .

Cambrian

Post Number: 399
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which jeweler's commercial is more annoying? Jared or K jeweler's? Jared's the one with the highly nasal sounding women addressing thier husband's as total buffoons for not knowing that all women really want is a five thousand dollar diamond necklace for X mas.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

victory toyota(just heard this one) and victory honda of monroe.
i hate them.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 508
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those fartfaces at Ace Diamond Jewelers come up with some stupid ass commercials as well. They even had a commercial about how people stop in just to tell them how crappy their commercials are, so I give them some credit for admitting that they suck at commercials. I think they suck on purpose though.

I have another question that maybe Manrooter can answer regarding Harry Glanz... Do you think he ever got to meet Harry Colon?

I'm expecting that Manrooter might say "Yes, I've made it a point to introduce them... repeatedly"

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 410
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Enzyte commercials. "This is Bob."

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 502
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smilin' Bob is The Man!

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 2834
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To eliminate annoying commercials, simply unplug your tv and put it out for garbage collection.
Then, tune your radio to NPR...
Shazamm! no more annoying commercials, except, well, those annoying Banner ads on the internet and
all the spam in your inbox.

Cabasse
Username: Cabasse

Post Number: 29
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"you've got a friend in the diamond business"

i also hate the newer headon commercials just as much as the original. they still get in the catchphrase 3 times, just with someone else saying it.

the best commercial?

i grew up in the south, and this one ran every christmas for over half a decade in the early nineties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =33kp7YTdQi0

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 187
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hate "Let's get it started oh oh" from Ford. That commercial has me wondering how much it is hurting their sales. I will not buy a Ford until it's pulled.

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 127
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On TV, the one I hate is the Citibank card air miles with that loud mouthed idiot. Obnoxious.

On the radio, Those Hiller Market ads with the Owner and his dog, Ellie May are the worst. Embarrassing.

56packman

Post Number: 813
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barnes--then you have whiney voices begging for money one whole week every six months.

Harpernottingham
Username: Harpernottingham

Post Number: 76
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somebody here wrote they hope Ray Vincent DIED?!

Oh, man ...

Anyhow, yeah, this is piling on, but for the love of GOD, "800-333-ROCK" must be the worst commercial ever. I've never heard anything like it.

Now let's see if I've got this straight ... "It's time to live ... the MORTGAGE EXPERTS!!!"

It's time to live the mortgage experts???

What?!

I can only guess that jingle was edited like that.
Those can't possibly be the original lyrics ...

Can they?

"I'm David Hall!"
"I'm Andy Jacob!"
"I'M RICHARD GOLDEN!"

By the way, Golden ... you don't have to die like poor old Ray Vincent, but please, PLEASE get the hell off the radio.

Please?

I mean, you SOLD the company, right? Just let it go. I don't know how those poor people who work at DOC can stand to look at giant posters of Golden all day.

I prefer all my commercials with Karen Newman, all prancing and warbling and unblinking. God, how I love her. I love her almost as much as I love plastic. Plastic bubble gum. Mmm ...

Maybe someday she'll do a duet with the Rock Financial heavy metal dude. That'd be the best Christmas present ever.

And then it'd really be time to live.

Ribalda
Username: Ribalda

Post Number: 12
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...."Harry Glands, Dan Burke". Does anybody know if Dan Burke plays keyboards and was in a group in the eighties with his wife that was booked by Lorio- Ross? There was a Dan Burke who played keyboard.

I had a Beaumont Doctor. I also had this little thing on the side of my tongue that he decided that he wanted to watch instead of remove. It turned to Cancer. Every time I hear that commercial....yyyeeeeeeeeeeeee aaaahhhhh!!!!!

Ribalda

Wash_man

Post Number: 232
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Bob...from Accountemps" on the radio. what idiots.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 565
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still like the Gordy Artunian from ABC Warehouse ad where he is dancing around greektown and Farmer Jacks while everyone in the background shots are seen wearing glasses.

I'm just glad I don't here as many of those "I pulled money out of my house to buy a boat or to pay off my car note" ads. Anyone selling the deferment of payment on things that depreciate in value should be taken out and shot.

Swgz31
Username: Swgz31

Post Number: 35
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ugh

Any commercial from Sundance Car dealerships up in the Lansing Area, I can't think of anything more annoying... ever. Dude rides around on a horse thinking this is the wild west, with a fake accent. Blah!

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 87
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know its been awhile since someone added something to this but I just found this. Don't forget about those Yaldo eye center commercials. SHUT UP ELI!

Wash_man

Post Number: 247
Posted on Monday, January 01, 2007 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nutrisystem "any diet that let's you eat chocolate everyday is the diet for me!". I want to puke every time I hear that.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.