Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » 55WEST Party! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aschar76
Username: Aschar76

Post Number: 31
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

55WEST Party!

Come out December 8th and Celebrate the Grand Opening of the Lofts at 55 West Canfield. One more in a long line of success stories for the city! Don’t miss your chance to bump elbows with lots of other fans of the ‘D’, including our Mayor!

LaSalle Bank and The Hubbell Group are springing for the appetizers and libations, so don’t be shy!!

Party starts at 5:30, ribbon cutting at 6:30, Valet Parking Available, DJ.

And if the beer and wine don’t cut it for you, there is a cash Martini Bar!

See you there!

http://createdetroit.com/categ ory/design/

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, December 07, 2006 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Colin Hubbell is the coolest Detroit 'developer.' I love that guy.

Ed_golick
Username: Ed_golick

Post Number: 501
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

55 West Canfield used to be the Audio Visual Technical Center for the Detroit Bd of Ed. I wonder how much the board gave it away for.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, December 08, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah yes.....the AV Tech Center. Good memories, good times, right Ed?

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 1317
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ribbon

Ribbon cutting

kwam

Kwamster laying out a pretty good little speech

ken

Ken Jr.

granholm

Mr. Granholm, looking quite the dandy in his yellow shirt.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1071
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was a great event...really. We missed most of the Mayor's speech, the last speech I think, but the crowd was great. All of our favorite Detroiter's.

The condo's a really nice too. I particularly appreciated the shockcrete ducting that is masked to look like columns on the third floor.

I have to say I'm really proud of Colin. I don't know him very well, but I heard so many great stories about him last night. I'm also proud of our current leadership...Kilpatrick really seems focused on development in the city..

Yay for everyone!

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1541
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

except those who can't afford it

many empty buildings, almost 14,000 homeless people on any given night

hmm...

Kris
Username: Kris

Post Number: 6
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

alright debby downer...

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 329
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

negative nancy

Username: 48202

Post Number: 16
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup:

Colin Hubbell is working his &%% off to improve this city.

Are you?

(Message edited by 48202 on December 09, 2006)

Lilpup

Post Number: 1546
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do what I can to look out for the little people
- but I doubt you're interested in them

Lilpup

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is someone who works full time yet still earns under 30K supposed to buy a place in this area?

How can someone who works full time yet makes even less than that afford a decent place to live?

Why is there not more affordable housing around here?

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 965
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why is there not more affordable housing around here?

More affordable housing in Detroit in general, or in Midtown Detroit? The city itself has some of the cheapest housing of all major cities.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2190
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen, just because someone builds a condo project that with units in the low 6-digit range doesn't mean that there isn't lots of affordable housing in Detroit. If you can't find something decent under $100K in this city, you're not looking.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1548
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

then why are homelessness and foreclosures skyrocketing?

(do you know how fuckin' tired and depressed I am from seeing people picking through trash cans and sleeping outside? PEOPLE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO LIVE LIKE THAT!!)

(Message edited by lilpup on December 09, 2006)

(Message edited by lilpup on December 09, 2006)

Username: 7051

Post Number: 25
Posted on Saturday, December 09, 2006 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup,
You had better hope a lot more middle to high income earners move into the city as they pay large amounts of taxes which can pay for various programs to help the poor and homeless. More poor people moving into the city or staying in the city does does not help increase tax revenues(as they pay little or no taxes), which in the long run, means less programs for the poor and homeless.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2191
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

then why are homelessness and foreclosures skyrocketing?

Foreclosures have more to do with unemployment. If you don't have any money coming in, you can't afford a cheap house or an expensive one.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1953
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 6:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was there. It was a great event. Lots of people were there. The dignitaries had a lot of great and amusing things to say about Colin Hubbell.

The units on displayed were OK. I would have liked to have seen a model of a larger unit eventhough you could peer through the door of them and see the amount of space you would have. I did like the unit with the bed with rose petals on it.

BTW, how do people who live in these rehabbed buildings deal with the concrete floors 24/7? Not a slight, just curious.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1319
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Royce - youre not a singer are you ?

Lilpup is threadjacking. Most homeless situations are mental health issues, not necessarily economic. You need to be looking higher up at people who can do something about mental health services in our country. To slag a developer for saving yet another portion of the City is nothing less than crappy and small minded. That structure is now going to be feeding precious tax dollars back into the system. Talk to the people running the shitstem about taking care of those dumpster divers.

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 165
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I actually had a deposit down on one of those spaces...put it down in january. Come August I couldnt wait and had to move, plus I found double the space somewhere else. 730sqft not enough room for 2 people. Still cool project for the area.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1955
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Mauser, I'm not the singer/rapper.

Lilpup

Post Number: 1550
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

didn't slag the developer - didn't even mention him

sorry if you can't deal with the reality of poverty and homelessness in the city

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 756
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there is any major city in the country where someone can earn less than 30k and buy a house, its Detroit

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 966
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out the rent at this place if you think it's expensive here Lilpup. 560 sq ft for 1300/month

http://www.avaloncommunities.c om/CA%20North/Avalon%20Silicon %20Valley/

Lilpup

Post Number: 1551
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

doesn't matter what other cities cost - what matters is what's happening HERE, NOW

almost 14,000 homeless on any given night

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 104
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the reason there are 14,000 homeless is NOT because there is a lack of affordable housing.

Adamtc1
Username: Adamtc1

Post Number: 9
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lilpup, you are blind and oblivious to how the economics of a city actually work. If you want there to be the tax dollars to fund ways to help the homeless then you need the tax dollars. Tax dollars are something that Detroit lacks and projects such as 55 West Canfield will help to bring more people into the city to provide those needed tax dollars. You can't just focus on a single class of individuals. For a city to truly function you must have and provide for all classes.

Fnemecek

Post Number: 2197
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the reason there are 14,000 homeless is NOT because there is a lack of affordable housing.

Amen, Detroit has some of the cheapest housing in the nation. In spite of that, we still have homeless folks among us.

There are lots of things that need to happen both within our job market as well as our mental health sector in order to change that. However, having more tax-paying residents in the City has the potential for doing a lot to help both of those aspects.

Mauser765

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"sorry if you can't deal with the reality of poverty and homelessness in the city"

Um. Yeah, I was just thinking that about your line of thought. threadjacker.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 172
Posted on Sunday, December 10, 2006 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Imperfectly wrote:

quote:

Come August I couldnt wait and had to move, plus I found double the space somewhere else. 730sqft not enough room for 2 people. Still cool project for the area.

I dropped by the event because I work nearby, and had watched the construction with some curiosity.

I agree that the project is a cool one, but the units are small. Imperfectly--where did you wind up buying?

Mauser765

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heyo - BTW, I won the door prize....

WOOT!!!!!!

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 411
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the units are small so that they could keep the sale price as low as possible. Which seems to make some sense, as many will be first-time buyers, who are trying to qualify for a mortgage.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 450
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Homelessness and poverty have more to do with our CAPITALIST structure in general than basic housing market realities.

You can't sell Mcdonalds combos so cheap unless you are paying people very little to grow, transport, prepare and distribute the product.

It is the system you should be frustrated at Lilpup, not the condo developer.

I don't know about you but if I was on the 'skids" i would be trying every avenue I knew to stay off the street. i.e. family, minimum wage job, shelters...there are solutions for those who want to better themselves, however for those who can't, mentally ill and the like, it is a sad reality that cheap condos wont correct.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.