Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » TIGER STADIUM PLAN « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Navin_parker
Username: Navin_parker

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Navin Parker, I completely agree with your view on the Corktown
plan, basically I almost have to look at it as a scam to let the
public think the city has plans for the site. It boggles my
mind that the city cannot see the importance of the site. I
have friends that still live in the Corktown area and as much as
it would possibly help the area if something else was there,
they all agree its not really hurting anybody being there
either. What I don't understand is how the city (Mr.
Killpatrick) and the Tigers (Mr. Illitch) can't see this as an
oppurtunity. An oppurtunity to do something no other city has
been able to do with an abandon ballpark ever, and that is keep
it standing. Other cities have pretty much been forced to raze
them, like in Chicago when Comiskey Park had to go because it
was right across the street from, well, Comiskey Park, or Nextel
park or whatever its called this week to make way for parking.
Mr. Killpatrick and Mr. Illitch have come under fire for years
for different reasons. It wasn't too long ago people were
calling for Mr. Illitch to sell the team so they could contend
and all the problems Mr. Killpatrick has had with so many things
in the city this is an oppurtunity for them to be heros. So
many including myself would forgive them for so many things I
think. They have both said time and again how they loved the
ballpark, grew up there, etc. If Mr. Illitch is so in love with
his beloved Tigers franchise how can he turn his back on its
origin? The Red Sox and Cubs are both pouring millions of
dollars into Fenway and Wrigley this year AGAIN to help keep it
up. I've been in both, both are glorious but they are not Tiger
Stadium. On top of everything else baseball wise, its almost an
architecual masterpiece. It was built piece by piece over years
and years and is still as sound as it was 50 years ago. Part of
the problem started when Mr. Monahan bought the team I think.
Thats when the team kind of quit caring about the upkeep it
seems so not all the blame falls on the current ownership or
city officials, Mr. Monahan and Coleman Young wanted it gone
years earlier for some reason. Fenway sells out EVERY game, so
does Wrigley. Didn't the Red Sox win a World Series without a
new park? The Cubs are historically a bad team even with good
players but this year even after the White Sox won the WS the
Cubs drew MORE in a smaller park. If the people that have the
means and greens to help save it can't seem to get anywhere with
the city, unfortunately you and I don't either. Its sad but
true I guess. Who knows, maybe someday before the old girl is
gone I'll see you there and we can walk over to Nemos or Caseys
and I'll buy ya a beer.

POINT WELL TAKEN LOLICH COMBO!!
______________________________ ____________________

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4880
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come again?

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, December 12, 2006 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You make some good points. Detroit is already in such a unique position of being a city reborn in a sense. This could be a precedent setting example for all other cities who are building new parks. unfortunately it seems that the last thing illitch wants is for the a minor league team or a soccer team or any real use that could come out of that stadium, to ever really take place.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 340
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im with Lmich on this one...huh?

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 636
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks to be a post from another message board to me.

(Message edited by eric on December 13, 2006)

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 358
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waste of bw.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 243
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the time to save Tiger Stadium was 10 years ago, before CoPa was built. the alleged plan to keep the field intact and keep a part for a visitor center, while adding new development all around it is the right thing to do. as long as that IS the real plan, people need to move on.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 22
Posted on Wednesday, December 13, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. And I've been to Wrigley, it's really nice. Tiger Stadium, although, a home town favorite was flawed. I live in Corktown, I'm ready for new stuff. Seriously, what on earth could you do with such a massive building? No minor league team is popular enough, no big 4 sports team would move in, no museum would raise enough to pay for it... Put the pipe, and the pipe dream down already.

Chucktown_motown
Username: Chucktown_motown

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look mana straight the F*** up. Mike Illitch is a piece. He just failed to take care of the Stadium so his boybody lookin self could get a new one. Comerica what a Sh***ty ballpark. Nothing traditional Tiger's. There's not even a Upper Deck what is that s***. Oh and by the way Mr Illitch. I have broke into your ballpark on repeat occations over the lat 4 years, got wasted, smoked L's and even got some "cheek beatin'" action up in the dugout's and the bullpens...I even pissed in the troughs'. Now what! What to do with the Stadium keep it...If I win the 100 million dollar lottery I'll buy it and the Knonk Gym...

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quality post, Chucktown.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3281
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some people just need to move on....

Corktown will finally get rid of the blight (not the stadium) of all those empty lots that were weed strewn and used for parking on game days. They'll be glad to get infill to make their neighborhood look nice once again!

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I admire everyone's desire to save more of the ballpark than the mayor's plan calls for, and I was as determined as anyone to save Tiger Stadium. All that changed when I went into the park on Monday and saw what's there. It wasn't good, and most of the park would require huge amounts of rehabilitation. Any and all of the indoor areas--locker rooms, tunnels between clubhouse and dugout, coaches' offices, the front office--are in complete and total disrepair. The ceilings have fallen in, there's extensive water damage, likely harmful mold, among other issues. The third level (suites and auxiliary press box) was completely rotted away. All that was left up there were huge piles of bird droppings, some dead birds, and some "goo" that used to be carpet and/or paint. The press box between the upper and lower decks is the same way.

I used to think that the City of Detroit was just hiding a prefectly preserved and useable facility behind its locked doors. That's hardly the case. As much as it pains me to say it, the damage is done, and the city will (rightfully) pull the plug on most of the Stadium this spring.

Jmarx
Username: Jmarx

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any pics, Tigersfan9...?

Tigersfan9

Post Number: 79
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trying to figure out how to post them here on this board. Any help would be greatly appreciated, then I'll post them. I took a ton.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2382
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Trying to figure out how to post them here on this board.

https://www.detroityes.com/faq.htm# How_do_I_post_a_picture

Jmarx

Post Number: 22
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would love to see the pics, Tigersfan9...pls don't hesitate to ask if the FAQ link Ndavies posted doesn't answer your questions.

Tigersfan9

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm getting around to it, but it's not as easy as I would have liked. I'm trying to put up a web page people can visit, but it's taking a while. Using google's page creator. Anyone have any other ideas?

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4130
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hesitated to post pictures from the walk through because I didn't want some opponent of the Corktown Plan to use them to their own ends or otherwise have them used to give comfort to those who seek to thwart the Stadium's re-development (confidential to Rod...I know a place you can put your secret camera) but the reality is these are shoe phone pictures and my photography skills are hardly professional. And just to be on the safe side, consider these pic's copyrighted, all rights reserved...

In any case, I thought the stadium looked, more or less, pretty good. I mean it is an outdoor facility that hasn't been used in seven years. Could you play there tomorrow, no, but it isn't falling apart either. Actually the most damage hasn't been from neglect so much as from vandals. Mostly cutting the "D" of Tiger Den seats, although foam backed seats probably aren't worth that much after seven years. I was pleased to see the 'Save Fenway Park' bumper sticker was still on the section 424 support beam after all these years. The field was in decent shape, other things considered.

Anyway you people want pics...

sign
The sign at the Michigan and Cochrane corner, from the pitchers mound.

pitcher
View from the pitchers mound.

box seats
Box seats on the third base side.

field
The field from the third story press box.

foul pole
Right Field Foul Pole, I still say any ball that catches the overhang would have been a home run anyway, others tell me different.

lights
Light tower in Right Field.

(Message edited by Jelk on December 22, 2006)

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4131
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Redux...

tunnel
The classic walk to your seats.

Enduro
Username: Enduro

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good stuff, Jelk. The view from the mound gave me goosebumps for a moment. I hope they keep the backstop area the same for the lil leaguers (and me on some drunken night).

Tigersfan9

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a slideshow I tried to create with some of the pictures from last week's walk. Hope you enjoy. Sorry about the picture quality, there really isn't any good way to get the number of images I want to upload at the best quality onto the net, and I'm also trying to protect my images from being copied, so this seemed like a good way to do it. Here's the link:

http://www.slideroll.com/playe r.php?s=vv65tzbn

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1822
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Jelk and Tigersfan9, for posting your photos of the Tiger Stadium walk-through.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That slideshow is awesome. Thank you!!!!! It looks like the locker room and indoor portions are showing their age and lack of heat in the winter. I particularly love the seats that were Yankee Stadium mint green from when they filmed 61 there.

Jmarx

Post Number: 23
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Schoolcraft
Username: Schoolcraft

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome. Thanks for photos.
Leaves me a better feeling than watching TV the other night. Seeing "Detroit Swat Team" on A & E
following them thru a typical day, and showing them at Tiger Stadium where the Swat Teams practice sniper shooting...wierd.. shooting from the upper deck with the targets inshallow center field.Did you find any casings?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.