Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Riverwalk progress « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 981
Posted on Saturday, December 16, 2006 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just noticed today that the section of the Riverwalk between Hart Plaza, and the Ren Cen is now accessible. Are any of the other sections open?

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 149
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked a the Mt. Elliot and Omni segments on Friday, but they didn't appear to be open yet.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1564
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I checked out the Bates section on Saturday, too, after someone here posted in was open.

While there and thinking about the future Port Authority building I got to wondering about the tunnel - how has/will the surface construction accomodate it? I'm not sure exactly where along there it passes under. Certainly they can't/couldn't drive pilings like they would under normal circumstances.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2256
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally! There still is a long way to go in terms of making that area more productive. Nothing like the riverfront police parking lot...let's see a Port of Detroit building with retail, the destruction of the Ford Auditorium, and maybe even a consolidation of Chene Park into Hart Plaza/FA. I'm with Kwame's plan.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4907
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought the Port Authority dock building was supposed to have retail?

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 346
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

me too...lets get a new a new chene ampitheater like that sexytime one in chicago

then build a condo tower/village where chene park is now. But then chene east and west will be weirdly named

(Message edited by apbest on December 17, 2006)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2260
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your absolutely right. I actually just saw those renderings of the new Port building for the first time. I wasn't sure if they would include retail or if the Port Authority garage was the extent of the retail space that they would provide. Personally, a mixed-use complex with street-level retail along Bates, where the FA now is, would be optimal. Let's have a little re-creation of what the space between Jefferson and the water used to be like.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 984
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the new word on the Port Authority? It was supposed to break ground about a year ago I think.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4908
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's already broken ground. Who knows when we'll see it begin to rise vertically.

Ericsprague
Username: Ericsprague

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe you could e-mail John Kerr of the Port Authority to ask for an update:

http://www.portdetroit.com/con tacts/economicdev.htm

Here was the last update he sent me on 10/19 (do a Find for Kerr on the page):
http://www.urbanplanet.org/for ums/index.php?showtopic=10101& st=60

He seemed very willing to share information and seek public input.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4914
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got an email back from John Kerr, today. What he says is that they are waiting for MDOT to approve their construction management team. He says that these construction contracts only go before the Transportation Commission once a month, and not in December, at all (because of the holidays, I'm guessing). So, this means that he hopes they clear these in January, which would mean almost instant work on the foundation and footings with a 9-11 month construction schedule.

The building will be 20,000 square feet on two floors to include baggage areas, processing, ticket offices, restrooms, etc. on the first floor, and Port Authority offices on the second floor. They are also considering educational exhibits on the first floor.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3387
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took a stroll on the newly opened section. Seems as if there still si some work to take place to make it match the rest of the promenade, but it was nice to not have to hump that long ass incline to get to the RenCen. :-)

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 150
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I took a stroll on the newly opened section. Seems as if there still si some work to take place to make it match the rest of the promenade...

If I'm not mistaken, that new section is only a temporary solution. Hopefully someone will have a more definitive answer though...

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it is just temporary as that is the location of the future port authority dock.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 403
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so how long is the riverwalk going to be when its completed? Rivertown to Zug Island?

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3398
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope Miltown...more like from Bridge to Bridge...

Ambassador to the park on the the other side of the Mc Arthur Bridge to Belle Isle...

About five miles total I beleive.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 4924
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, there is not much reason to take it beyond the Ambassador. In fact, I'm not even sure if they could with all of the heavy industrial activity on the river below that. It wouldn't be worth it.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 578
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually there is some valid reasons to continue this further.

- Recently a new section of bike pathe has opened that has extended the Hines Park path south from Ford Road to Michigan Avenue through U of M, Henry Ford, and Fairlane Mansion areas, the Rouge plan will take a pathway down the Rouge River ROW where is can connect with such sites as the turning basin, greenfield village, bascule bridges and eventually to Fort Wayne.

- Another piece of pathway has connected Patton Park with Lapeer Park in SW Detroit/SE Dearborn area, this could easily be connected to both the Detroit River System (though Delray) and the Rouge (through South Dearborn Arab Village Community).

The more complete of a network we build the more it will be utilized. Such paths improve the quality of life in these neighborhoods, connects them to learning and recreation facilities, and provides places to improve health.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 406
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be kind of cool if it went down to Fort Wayne. I think that would help with the revitalization of it. Or have it go to that new tourist center in southwest. Milwaukee has a big riverwalk an where ever it moves next, all the buildings it passes are suddenly bought by Chicago developers and turned into lofts or offices. Riverwalk could make southwest even nicer.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 913
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they could actually get it to go in front of the Riverfront Towers I will be truly amazed.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 240
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be great Gambling_man. I am looking forward to walking down Rosa Parks to the River and then strolling to Hart Plaza for events.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 83
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe they could connect up with Delray and Zug Island.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 917
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My point is that Riverfront OWNS that section of frontage......I can't see them letting any outsiders ruin their gated community.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If they could actually get it to go in front of the Riverfront Towers I will be truly amazed.

I was pleasantly suprised to see the trail going through Harbortown.

I heard today that many of the nearly-finished sections of the Riverwalk should be open by April.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.