Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » The Story of Moravian Road « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3768
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know the history of Moravian Road? There is an historical marker at Metro Parkway and Moravian. It is said that it connected Fort Detroit. It starts at a natural gas field west of Schoenherr Road and goes ends at I believe Cass. What was the original route of this road?

http://www.michmarkers.com/Pag es/S0142.htm

Dodgemain
Username: Dodgemain

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I grew up 1/8 mile from that sign. They put it up in the mid 70's. It was a Chippewa Indian trail that went down into Detroit. The Moravians were settlers from Europe. Anything you could possibly want to know about this is in the Clinton Township library at Romeo Plank and Canal. Or You can try the Clinton Township Historical Society.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1714
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moravian Road 1837

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 669
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot what movie it was where Groucho Marx declared himself King of Moravia...

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1563
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Huron River' should be 'Clinton River' unless there's two Hurons around here

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 414
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 1859 Macomb County township maps clearly show the route of Moravian Road within the county. In addition to the current segment which remains today, it generally followed west along what is now 14 Mile Road over to and then down Chicago Road and what is now Van Dyke to Conner St.

Note that the Clinton River was originally called the Huron River and it was later changed to avoid confusion with the other one.

Clinton Twp. 1859 map

Sterling Twp. 1859 map

Warren Twp. 1859 map

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Google returned these links (and more):
http://www.michmarkers.com/Pag es/S0142.htm
http://www.clintontownship.com /History.htm
http://ctwphc.org/search.html? query=Moravian

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 985
Posted on Sunday, December 17, 2006 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i did a project on it in third grade. It was an old native trail that is named after the moravian tribe. Many of Clinton townships oldest homes are on this road. when a friends house was built many artifacts were found in the digging

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irish_Mafia, the Marx Bros. movie you're thinking of is "Duck Soup". But the country was, I believe, Monrovia.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 378
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived at Moravian and 15 mile before we moved up here. When I first moved there in 90 there was a farm on the corner of Moravian and Utica and a small airport at 15 and Utica. Lots of open land and stuff. No Meijers, no 7-11, no condos.

That lasted for about 2 years, then a great building boom came and the charm is just gone from that area.

I couldnt take it anymore, too many people, way to many condos and cement and traffic there now. I am so glad we moved

But yes, Moravian Rd has a great history.

Ewo
Username: Ewo

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to go to McKinley airport and check out the planes when I was a kid growing up near there. I loved watching the planes fly over the house, a steady stream of them on a nice day on the weekend.

You're right Miss cleo, that area has lost it's charm, I don't miss living there anymore either.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 973
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

" I am so glad we moved "

Me too. I just wish you'd "move" from the forum as well.

Rust
Username: Rust

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ewo,

Where did you live when you were growing up. I lived on "Greentrees" the first residential street to the east of the airport. I too have memories of the sound of planes flying overhead. It reminds me of summer when we used to play in the field and orchards between the airport and our house.

Ewo

Post Number: 8
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rust,
I used to live on Penrod off Garfield by Moravian. I would ride my bike to the airport. Being a kid I never realized how much open space there was in that area in the 70's. It didn't feel like living in the suburbs, my parent's house had an acre lot and well and septic.

McKinley used to have quite a few homebuilt planes that flew out of there. My favorite was a plane with no body on it, just a tube frame, wing, engine and seats. Fun to watch because it flew so slowly.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 992
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 8:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how was it out there in the 70's? I moved to 17 and Garfield in 1985 and remember Garfield being fast food row and Hall was not even built. In 1992 we moved to Hall and romeo and I would imagine the area which was all farm land would be equivalent to Garfield in the 70's

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1986
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rust --

I lived on Morrison Court for a spell. Went to Black Elementary (mid-late 70's) for a couple of years.

Greentrees was back by Big Boy, right?

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 379
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, Greentrees is behind the Big Boy

Rust

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch,

Yes, Greentrees is over by the Big Boy.
I also went to Margaret Black Elementary in the Mid to Late 70's. I remember a Nick Lowry that I believed lived on Morrison Court. Do you remember him?

Did you also go to Melby Junior high?

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1988
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nick was my neighbor, and one of my best friends until I moved to the other side of town.

I moved before Melby.

Your name, if you do not mind outing yourself?

Rust

Post Number: 142
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Russ Mester
Sterling Heights High
Class Of 1988

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4345
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 10:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It was an old native trail that is named after the moravian tribe.

moravian tribe??? One of the Lost Tribes?

or

http://www.moravian.org/histor y/

Ewo

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the 70's Garfield was a two lane that went to a dead end at Hall Rd. Except for the major intersections, it was pretty much undeveloped. I think a lot of longtime residents didn't like the changes occurring then because the rate at which it happened was so fast. I know in the mid 80's I avoided Garfield altogether, even now I think that fast food row is one of the most treacherous one mile segments of road around. Way too high density of drive thru businesses.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3280
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet he didn't get an "A" on that Moravian Tribe paper... :-)

The Moravians also settled in North Carolina. I've been to "Old Salem" (today Winston-Salem) that was a Moravian settlement there in the 1700's as well. The name "WACHOVIA" (as in the giant Wachovia Bank) is a Moravian name.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This may brand me as naive at best, but I always figured that "Wachovia" as a name for a bank really meant "Watch-Over-Ya".

Please pardon me for being paranoid.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3290
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope Leoqueen (good one!)... it was the name the Moravians gave for their "new world" in North Carolina, IIRC.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.