Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Photo Du Jour - December 18 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6073
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is part 3 of the Replanning Detroit special.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man am I glad they never did any of this. That would have destroyed the whole east side of downtown.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7212
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There'd have been some much-needed density, tho. Imagine downtown with with the McNamara Federal Building on Jefferson, Wayne State Med. school a few blocks away, the Pharmacy school inside the 375 loop instead of outside and all that housing. We would have lost Greektown in that scheme, but we might have saved downtown retail.

(Message edited by itsjeff on December 18, 2006)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 568
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great rip down U of D and several other churches and replace them with a museum of religious history?

If you look at the amount of the land that is being used for warehousing or parking, I doubt there would be much of an improvement in either density, or accepted measures of community vibrancy.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4623
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not a stinking word about mass transit. That's atleast one reason why Downtown Detroit went downhill faster than bullet on Devil's Night.
jjaba.

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 95
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Museum of Religious History"? Who came up with this thoughtfart - some apparatchik in the Ministry of the Next Five Year Plan?

Interestingly, I think they were going to keep Old St Mary's Church, if I read the plan right, for the actual building.

What scares me is that some of our present ideas are equally looney; we just don't see them with the benefit of hindsight.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 143
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just some old school urban planning, no need to worry, just an interesting piece for the history books.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very interesting. It looks more like a suburban design then one for a major downtown. I did like the extension of Grand Circus Park though.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 815
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW--can you PLEASE get your text to vertically space so that the lines of text are separate from each other? It’s very hard on the eyes to read.

Aiw

Post Number: 6074
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Packman, I'm not sure what is your text problem...

Can you take a screen shot and e-mail it to me?

Aiw

Post Number: 6076
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for those responsible for that plan?

Offices of Eberle M. Smith Associates, Inc., Architects Engineers represented by: Edward Hammarskjold, Charles W. Scurlock

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1185
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aiw, 56packman, I turned up the text size in Internet Explorer to "largest" then went to http://internationalmetropolis .com/?p=271 and the text did overlap a bit. Is that the problem?

56packman

Post Number: 816
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK--it looks fine on my 'puter at home. I'll look at the setting on "the other one" and see what's up

56packman

Post Number: 820
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW-I fixed it, text size was set for "largest"
Be patient, I'm still learning.

Aiw

Post Number: 6082
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-) Glad it's resolved.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7219
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

text size was set for "largest"

56packman, how old a man would you say you are?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.