Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Isaiah blamed for the "2nd" basketbrawl « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Yvette248
Username: Yvette248

Post Number: 305
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, this is Detroit-related because 1) Isaiah Thomas will always be considered a Piston and 2) The inevitable references to the Pistons/Pacers brawl....

How in the hell is Isaiah to be blamed for starting a fist fight between players who presumably knows better. Its one thing to chide someone about "stay out of the paint - or we are gonna hard foul you" and another thing entirely to throw a punch. This another example of the media starting trouble just to sell stories. Oh yeah, and by the way, CNN interviewed the DENVER coach as if he is supposed to be an unbiased source! Hello???

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 990
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Carmelo Anthony is a little pansy, he deserves the 15 game suspension he got.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it only ended up being "chiding" then there would be no blame. However, the hard foul following the supposedly harmless "chiding" and his subsequent bitching about them running up the score afterwards has put the big red arrow pointing at Thomas.

Carmelo came out of this looking the worst -- what a little bitch.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 375
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isaiah and Carmello both look stupid right now. I blame them equally for that fiasco.

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 4116
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This won't look bad in a few months after Isiah is arrested trying to rob a bank in order to make payroll for the overpriced collection of stiffs he has assembled in New York. Highest payroll in the NBA for what may be the league's worst team.

Philadelphia and Memphis may have worse records but the Grizzlies will look better now that Pau Gasol is healthy. And the 76ers have some young talent to build around. The Knicks are just a steaming pile of waste.

Oh Isiah...you suck almost as bad as Matt Millen.

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 110
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little off the Topic.....But where can I rent a basketball court in the city? Either it be a school, community center, warehouse? Does anyone have any info for basketball court rentals in the city.

Thanks in advance.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5308
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh well! At least its not the Pistons vs. Pacers brawl.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 443
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote: Oh Isiah...you suck almost as bad as Matt Millen.

______________________________ ___________________

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel a twinge of sadness the way Zeek has fallen since he was "banished" from the Pistons?

Deandub11
Username: Deandub11

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a great thread and all, but this is one of the most influential Detroit sports figures of all time. Lets try to spell names correctly. The great one is named Isiah and his nickname is Zeke. Additionally, he probably did order Mardy Collins to attack whoever came to the basket, but he's from a different era, and hes a bad motherf*****. Ok he isn't the best GM...so what..he is one of the greatest NBA players of all time and did unbelievable things for our city. Don't disrespect Zeke and there won't be any problems (or flagrant fouls ordered).

Yvette248

Post Number: 306
Posted on Monday, December 18, 2006 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys for giving me a good belly chuckle. I'm not even mad anymore, I laughed so hard.

(The comparison to Millen was a little below the belt though.)

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 698
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 5:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The New York Daily News gave Isiah a brutal lashing yesterday. OUCH!:
http://www.nydailynews.com/fro nt/story/481395p-405125c.html

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 819
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 6:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mama, always look up and avoid electric wires

OH, Isiah!

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 577
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello.

And this from a guy who organized "No Crime day" back in the day.

Now he's resorted to having his henchmen deliver contract hits.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isiah coaching the Knicks this season would be comparable to Matt Millen having to come down to field level to coach his own football mess. Some owners aren't willing to pay three coaches and a couple GMs like the Fords do so often. Zeke made a puddle in NY and the owner is rubbing his nose in it.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Denver coach is the real culprit regarding the fight.

Jelk

Post Number: 4120
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel a twinge of sadness the way Zeek has fallen since he was "banished" from the Pistons?

No because he was given the same opportunity as Dumars, join the organization for year, learn how the front office works and then take over some real responsibility. Dumars took that offer and has become one the pro sports best executives, I mean Billy Beane and Ron Wolfe territory. Isiah decided he knew everything he needed to know about running a basketball team and scoffed at the Pistons plan. Toronto...the CBA...Indiana...New York...there's a pattern here.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 984
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look up! But I don't see anything... that's good, because there could have been electrical wires above!

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3392
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol Vizion...

Schoolcraft
Username: Schoolcraft

Post Number: 21
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not Isiah's fault. There is a code of ethics in the NBA(and it sure isnt from David Stern who never played the game) You dont run up the score.. its that simple. You dont diss another team on their home court.
Unless your the Phoenix Suns
and your up by 25 with three minutes to go...your not running up the score.. your just trying to stay in the game as they blow huge leads with their style of play.idiots. Gosh.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4155
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm never one to advocate running up the score. That's very very bush league, but to advocate physically beating on another player isn't exactly kosher either. If I were in Isiah's shoes, I would've taken the team darn near off the court and let them run it up. And then maybe berate the hell out of the other team at the press conference. Let the world know their opponents were cheap punks.

Does anyone remember years ago when there was an opposing player on the verge of a triple triple or a double double and the then Detroit coach walked his team over to the bench so the guy could get his stat? It made that player look so weak and feeble. He was exposed for his cheap stunt.

Isiah should've done the same here and exposed the Nuggets for their cheap antics. By retaliating, it got the Knicks in the same mud bath as the Nuggets.

Kenp
Username: Kenp

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might recall when Isiah was not picked for the Olympic team in favor of John Stockton. A year later when the Pistons played the Jazz, Isiah embarrassed Stockton on the court scoring right at him for 40+. Next time they meet on the court Karl Malone ended Isiah's night with cheap shot to the head for a knock out blow.

Schoolcraft

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Point taken Smogboy..i still say its good to mix it up if you have to once in a while. No such thing as bad publicity as they say....meanwhile
David Stern becomes new commish of NHL and no more hockey fights...oh yeah, that would fly.

Susanarosa...calling Carmelo "a little bitch..."
Thats funny whoever you are. My sides are killing me!!! Some of your best work by far cheers
Oh, that little bitch could be in a Piston uniform couldnt he be.Damn...and milicic is posting some numbers in orlando. That bugs.

Tetsua

Post Number: 994
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

..and milicic is posting some numbers in orlando. That bugs.

That's alright, Pistons still kicked his ass a few weeks ago.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 180
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

to advocate physically beating on another player isn't exactly kosher either

And yet, that was hardly the most physical foul you'll ever see.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 988
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

David Stern's protege is ruining the NHL instead

Smogboy

Post Number: 4156
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree there have been MUCH harder physical fouls, but what ensued afterwards makes the biggest difference.

To me, there are SO many different ways of retaliating... sometimes not all of them require brute force. I still like the idea of rolling up the tent and letting the other team look ridiculous if that's what they want to do. Going to the court of public opinion (especially in this day of ESPN) and garnering sympathy there is also another great way to respond to cheap stunts like what the Nuggets pulled. No one wants to be called nationally like that. There is no way the Nuggets can aptly respond to being called out like that; their actions would have already spoken for themselves.

Jelk

Post Number: 4121
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you don't want the score run up on don't blow the league's highest pay-roll on a bunch of malcontented two-guards and swingmen.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11028
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am I the only one who longs for the days when brawls were simply part of the game? Where upon refs separated the players and they seldom even handed out technicals over such a spectacle. The NBA has turned into a sissy game where it caters to the scorers and penalizes physical/vocal players, in turn ruining the game.

I guess it's been a long time coming, certain players have always got favoritism over the years. Now however, I feel the commissioner has tightened the reigns a bit too tightly.

Yvette248

Post Number: 308
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with you SS. No one in the era of the bad boys would have even noticed a simple hard foul. Stern is turning the whole game into a sissy sport.

(p.s. And now Allen Iverson just got traded to Denver. AI plus Carmelo Anthony on the same team... Ouch! The western conference is going to be brutal!)

(Message edited by yvette248 on December 19, 2006)

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1642
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Zeke has always been and always will be a shady character who for somereason gets a free pass here in Detroit.

Tetsua

Post Number: 995
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Am I the only one who longs for the days when brawls were simply part of the game? Where upon refs separated the players and they seldom even handed out technicals over such a spectacle.

You just made me think of the game where Robert Parish DECKED Bill Laimbeer, and wasn't even hit with a tech. There's wasn't even a brawl, just a little pushing between the two teams for a few seconds ... the good ole days.

Smogboy

Post Number: 4157
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you think about it, those "good ol' days" the players had a way to vent. It was almost a controlled release of aggression towards one another. I agree, nowadays this controlled violence is almost bottled up too tightly and occassionally bursts.

Call me sneaky but I still like the ways of getting back at an opponent in so many other ways such as bitching at press conferences, pulling the team off the court or what about just filing the event away and getting them back at another time?

Personally kicking the other team's butt at another time has always been a tonic for any humiliation suffered now.

Schoolcraft

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, December 19, 2006 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the visual smogboy. Bird and laimbeer in full out brawl also., and Isiah clocked laimbeer..in practice which led to Laimbeer retiring...right? saying its getting too crazy as we are friends(he and Isiah)."Im retiring..gotmy ring(s)...etc" laimbeer took so much crap from other players..and the 84 Celtics Lakers Finals...every open layup you were mugged...i mean hammered...thiswas the series that led to the first "clamping down" by the NBA really on the hard fouls etc.All the punks are still on Indiana though.Agreed?

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1222
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isiah is a filthy, dirty person. Always has been. Always will be. Behind that beautiful smile and quiet voice is a real asshole.

I have no doubt he had a big part in starting what went down at MSG.

Supersport

Post Number: 11030
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Isiah clocked laimbeer..in practice which led to Laimbeer retiring...right?

No, Isiah broke his hand during that incident. Bill Laimbeer did not retire at that time. He ended up retiring due to back problems, which if I recall, a decision was made by him shortly into a season, perhaps 16 games or so.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 993
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zeke was one of the nicest pro athletes I've ever met, and I met a lot of them, even Cocaine Wayne!

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1985
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing better than seeing little Danny Ainge rolling on the ground with Tree Rollins.

"Tree Bites Man"

And Rudy T. Kermit Washington?

Johnson and Zo (and Van Gundy)?

Kent Benson - Kareem?

Dr. J and Bird?

X-man and Oakley?

Camby popping his coach while going after Danny Ferry?

NBA is littered with great fights. Nothing new here. Move along.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1972
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The real old days Sport and most of you did not experience.To get an idea I suggest and recommend the book ..."The Punch"... by John Fenstein.It is the story of Kermit Washington and Rudy Tomjonavich and the incident when Washington punched Rudy T during a game. The aftermath of that incident and how differently both their lives evolved is the crux of the rest of the book. Also intertwined is the history of the NBA and what it was like back then in the 70's_ believe me the Laimbeer era was nothing like the NBA of the 70's. I would love to see a coach light a victory cigar as Red Auerbach did after very celtics win_ right there at the bench.

I'm with Jelk regarding Isiah. His tactics worked exceedingly well as a player.He may be the most underrated player in the history of the NBA.Unfortunately it has not worked as a coach/GM.

Supersport

Post Number: 11031
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let us not forget Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball for SNES!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B ill_Laimbeer%27s_Combat_Basket ball

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.