Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Ford-UAW center to leave Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 1030
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford-UAW center to leave Detroit

Web-posted Dec 20, 2006

Riverfront site of training program gives way to Dearborn

By JOSEPH SZCZESNY
Press Automotive Editor
http://www.theoaklandpress.com /stories/122006/bus_2006122027 .shtml

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully the UAW itself will also leave. For good.

Ribalda
Username: Ribalda

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe next time the people of Detroit will vote in some people who know how to communicate with people other than their friends.

Ribalda

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 912
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ribalda, are you taking your medication today?

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 7229
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 9:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If only there were some nearby facility that wanted to expand into that space...

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 35
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad it will probably sit empty for the next 10-15 years while the various city and regional entities argue about how to pay for an expansion.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 384
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford has a long tradition of building something nice and then schitting on it later:

Model T factory
UAW Facility
Ford Field (at least the execs who "do business" there)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2267
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Screw Ford and the UAW. Might as well tear down this place and the Ford Auditorium as part of the impending makeover of the Port/Hart Plaza/Cobo.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is Ford Field the last remaining item in the city with the Ford name on it?

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow ... I'm getting old enough now where buildings I used to worked at in Detroit are being abandoned!

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 199
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

picture of the building for us our of towners?

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1096
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mackinaw OK. You're wrong. A certain freeway comes to mind.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2269
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn.

freeway must = investment by a major company.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4346
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford Auditorium.

Ford Building (different family)

Ford Freeway

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3407
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its funny but if you ask me it seems that Ford has a history of abandoning the city...

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 5481
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah post a picture - I wanna see if there's any copper in that building:-)

Folks, people die, companies change, etc. Life happens. Every single person responsible for the things you mention above has passed from this life and probably didn't leave in their will the words "Whatever happens, keep putting money into Detroit."

Long ago Ford moved most of its operations into Dearborn but continued to "give back" to Detroit. Step back and take a look at the 2 cities - where would you invest further money for the workforce based on location/convenience?

Ford benefitted from Detroit, but gave back millions (perhaps billions) that they could have invested/donated elsewhere. Perhaps you ought to take a look at what the far left wing Ford Foundation (now disconnected from FoMoCo) is doing with its money these days - they have money to give away and if they agree with you, Detroit would be a prime place to send it.

Lots of folks/cities are vying for both FoMoCo and Ford Foundation $$ and it takes far more than whining to get it. If you expect a positive response from either, you'll have to work hard for it.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3271
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Typical of Ford... which is still Wayne County's largest employer, but doesn't even make it to the TOP 30 EMPLOYERS IN DETROIT in Crain's annual list.

These could actually be the last Ford employees in Detroit, since to make it to the Crain's list, they would have to have at least 300 employees in the big D.

Previously they were on Crain's list, until they vacated their tower in RenCen for Dearborn (when GM took over).

I bet that Detroit booster (and RenCen creator) Henry Ford II is turning in his grave right about now....

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1483
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, does anyone actually think this is bad news? Seems like a smart move for Ford, and at worst, it's a neutral outcome for the city, since it may open up opportunities to do something else with this building and its prime location. (It's not a bad looking building, though.)

Gistok

Post Number: 3273
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And what would that be... tear it down? Take a page from Ilitch and turn it into a decorative sidewalk? Rent it out to someone from a one of the other office towers downtown, thus further emptying another downtown tower?

It's hardly good news! :-(

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2270
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, there are definitly no more manufacturing Ford jobs in Detroit (haven't been for a while).

I remember about a year ago having a Ford Auditorium "tear that schitt down" conversation and people were saying that it can't happen because the Fords would get pissed off and never support the city again. Well, what are they supporting now? There may be some shit left with their name on it, but I don't see the $ and I don't see the jobs. So screw the Fords.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7232
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karl, you need to make the distinction between the Ford Family, which has been very good to Detroit, and Ford Motor Company - an outstanding corporate citizen until the death of Henry Ford II. They're still decent, like Comerica, etc., but no longer something special.

You're right that nothing stays the same, but it's okay for us to mourn the loss.

Also, the Ford Foundation doesn't do squat for Detroit. The Attorney General is investigating them for possible violation of its own charter by being so stingy when it comes to contributions to Michigan.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 157
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was this Ford UAW building on the riverfront originally built for in the 1950s? The article said that the city of detroit owns the building...

Gistok

Post Number: 3274
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was formerly the Veterans Memorial Building.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 158
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like the G.A.R. building, but for the 1950s?

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 51
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UAW building is very nice and is integrated well into Hart Plaza. I cant imagine that it would stay unoccupied for very long considering its location and condition.

Gistok

Post Number: 3275
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just hope that with a potential expansion of Cobo looking to expand eastward (Cobo Arena), that they don't view this as an opportunity to expand even farther east.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 161
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for cobo to front hart plaza.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 438
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reading the article it sounds like a smart decision, and I don't give the automotives much credit for being bright. Rather then spend money developing a River Front property for an office that does not need to be there, they are utilizing existing land and buildings in Dearborn. The river front should be reserved for community things Parks, and community serving businesses, restaurants, hotels, lofts. Not office buildings. The river front should be zoned that way to keep it from getting clogged with buildings that don't belong there.

Gistok

Post Number: 3276
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not a matter of "fronting" Hart Plaza... the Ford/UAW Building is "in" by Hart Plaza. So any expansion there would gobble up part of Hart Plaza.

Jams

Post Number: 4350
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The river front should be zoned that way to keep it from getting clogged with buildings that don't belong there.

Should we lobby to tear down the GM headquarters to establish a riverside fishing community?

Itsjeff

Post Number: 7233
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

vetmemorial

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 623
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford Auditorium is vacant on one end of Hart Plaza and the Ford UAW building is vacant at the other end. The article below gives me the impression that the city is developing plans to renovate it. Perhaps, the renovations will include these two properties. Perhaps, the Ford family will make a donation to help fund the renovations.

"Roehling noted that the city has been building its long-awaited RiverWalk promenade this year, and there have been discussions for a renovation of Hart Plaza. Any idea for a Cobo-RenCen link ought to fit into those overall plans, he said."

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20061206/BUS INESS04/612060312

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 439
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
quote:
Should we lobby to tear down the GM headquarters to establish a riverside fishing community?

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------

Sure! GM is planning on relocating to Beijing soon anyways.

Jams

Post Number: 4351
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a perfect place to establish a fishmarket, possibly a place to trade furs, and maybe sell trees felled for lumber.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 582
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't understand why the UAW needs separate but equal training centers for each of the big three. The UAW is now down to 1/3 of what is was 15 years ago; maybe they should just combine all training to happen at their new facility in rivertown? it would certainly reduce redundancy in operating costs.

I should ad that Ford Motor Company employs a lot of my neighbors (in Warrendale Neighborhood), and the Ford family has contributed a sizable contribution to Downtown's come-back by moving Ford Field downtown and hosting the super bowl.

(Message edited by Detroitplanner on December 20, 2006)

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1875
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, way to keep an eye on the big picture folks.

Ford may not be one of Detroit's biggest employers but it is one of the region's, so let's definitely hate them for moving out of a perfectly viable downtown building instead of applauding them for making necessary cost cutbacks to adapt into a company for the 21st century.

And yeah, the Fords don't do a damn thing!!! Oh wait, except they did move the Lions downtown (god bless their li'l losing hearts). Oh yeah, did I read something about Josephine Ford giving a shitload of cash to CCS to revamp their John R frontage and build a sculpture garden? Um, and then when she died she gave like $100 gajillion dollars to CCS and the DIA in art and cash?

Hmmm, what else. Bill Ford just signed on to head the Detroit Renaissance executive committee ... and then there's that other new coalition with some Ford or another involved. Remarkably, without knowing the name I can't find it on google or on this site.

Anyway, my point you need to see the forest for the trees. This myopia is seriously, seriously ridiculous. And I'd say some of you should know better, but of course that's obviously not the case.

(Message edited by dialh4hipster on December 20, 2006)

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1990
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And I'd say some of you should know better, but of course that's obviously not the case.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 5487
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Dial - and hopefully, someone, somewhere is saying something positive about the Fords besides the very few on these threads. They can read too, and if I were them and read just the drivel, I'd head farther away from whiners, not closer.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 639
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My thoughts exactly.. It's a beautiful building, and one of the best locations in the city, but if they're bitching over rent, let 'em leave. More expansion for us all!

Gistok

Post Number: 3278
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Dialh, before you get to far up on your high horse... maybe you can point out where on this thread ANYONE said anything suggesting that FORD FAMILY doesn't care about Detroit?

Since you're talking about "eye troubles", maybe you can you point to a single post to substantiate your argument?

The only mention I see is several folks talking about "our beloved" Henry Ford II.

BUT, the FORD MOTOR COMPANY is another matter altogether. Even in the late 1990's (under Jacques Nasser) when they were AWASH IN BILLIONS in Cash, they decided to move their 1,700+ employees out of downtown to Dearborn. This counteracted what Henry Ford II spent years doing... namely putting a Ford Company presence INTO Detroit.

It is funny now that you mention it, how the family does so much for Detroit, whereas the company (aside from giving some money for good causes)... ceases to exist in the city that they were founded in.

Maybe some of you folks (Karl you too!) better go back and reread the thread... You're seeing things that just aren't there!!

(Message edited by Gistok on December 20, 2006)

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1876
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, don't try to weasel out of the criticism by mincing words. I covered criticism of Ford the brand, both company and family.

And this site could stand quite a bit more of this lecturing. People here need to think a little more critically before posting the first thing that pops into their heads.

You and your slippery slope arguments don't help matters.

Gistok

Post Number: 3279
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FORD MOTOR COMPANY... NOT EQUAL TO... FORD FAMILY

It's just simple math!

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11033
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I just hope that with a potential expansion of Cobo looking to expand eastward (Cobo Arena), that they don't view this as an opportunity to expand even farther east.

Yes, because God forbid anybody consider the possibility that the building may need to be expanded yet again in the future. No sense in planning ahead, let's insure that Cobo is land locked for years to come, so in another 15-20 years they'll have to build a brand new, bigger, $2 billion hall to meet the demand.

I say tear that schitt down, expand all the way to Hart Plaza, and be done with it.

Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1877
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

FORD MOTOR COMPANY... NOT EQUAL TO... FORD FAMILY

It's just simple math!

Get a life.

(Message edited by dialh4hipster on December 20, 2006)

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2466
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This myopia is seriously, seriously ridiculous.

Absolutely, Dialh.

How do folks overlook the fact that FoMoCo's share has declined almost ten points in ten years and that they've had to put the company's assets up as security to obtain a "last chance" loan? Never mind where their facilities are located, this company has put billions of dollars every year into the pockets of its employees and retirees in our area. An awful lot of Detroiters rely on a successful FoMoCo for their livlihoods. A failed company would hit Detroit hard.

Yet while they're fighting for their very existence, the myopic only seem to acknowledge FoMoCo's recent real estate decisions. As if that's a real priority for Ford management right now. Rediculous.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone familiar with the interior of the building? Perhaps if the Cobo expansion is to go through and Cobo Hall gets demolished the UAW building can be included in the expansion and used for banquet halls etc. Im not sure how feasible that might be though.

Gistok

Post Number: 3284
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Supersport, I don't think going that far east is the way to go. ("Go west young man!")

Based on Itsjeff's aerial view it would gobble up nearly 1/2 of Hart Plaza. I could see some prestigious downtown building owners, such as 150 W. Jefferson, getting very upset about blocking part of their view of the waterfront. Plus it might not be politically possible (remember what became of architect Caesar Pelli's Comerica Tower design for the Ford Auditorium site?).

But you raise the valid point of expansion now and in the future. I don't blame L. Brooks Patterson for scoffing at pay Cobo taxes until 2035... especially when in another 10 years we're going to be back in the position we are today... namely "we need another expansion".

Supersport

Post Number: 11034
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

Are we looking at the same map? Here, I highlighted Hart Plaza for you, and split it in half. What part of this building not being within Hart Plaza don't you understand?

hartplaza

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4943
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is part of Civic Center, and many could argue part of Hart Plaza, which isn't just the concrete promenade, but all of the public space in the Civic Center.

Gistok

Post Number: 3292
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look you're talking HART PLAZA (although you missed some spots...) and I'm talking about the entire Civic Center Plaza, not just the paved areas. Apples and oranges!

I don't think most people care where the exact precise boundaries are for Hart Plaza... it'll take up Civic Center land. And that will make some people upset. And I'll bet the 150 West Jefferson folks would be mighty unhappy!

Don't you remember the public outcry with the Comerica Tower circa 13 years ago?

Supersport

Post Number: 11037
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're in the midst of building a 3 mile river walk which will include a state park encompassing something like 40 acres. In addition, at the end we have Belle Isle which at 1,000 acres is one of the largest urban parks in the country. So I'd gladly give up an acre or two of that concrete monstrosity called Hart Plaza, Civic Centre, or whatever you wanna call it. It's a place that never has more than a dozen people there at a time other than for festivals, half of that dozen are usually homeless. Not to mention, the areas that I assume you feel would be lost never sees anybody using them aside from kids smoking pot during the festivals and people taking a piss behind the cover of the pine trees. The area that would be lost is hardly of much use as it is.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 407
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford Motor Company is creating quite the push for Detroit abandonment.

First last Friday's closure of 7 floors of Comerica Tower by Ford's FORCED move of ad agency J Walter Thompson to a friggin' shit-pile spec office building in the burbs, now the abandonment of the Ford-UAW Building.

Buying a new car? Show Ford the same loyalty they are showin' the D.

Say F$@K No to Ford.

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 177
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here’s a novel idea; how about we use the building to house the offices of Federal, State and local veteran’s affairs organizations. It’s not like we don’t have a lot of veterans, especially disabled ones. And thanks to “W” there’s going to be a whole lot more real soon.

True_blue
Username: True_blue

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 10:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Henry Ford Hospital

Gistok

Post Number: 3294
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Futurecity... that just adds fuel to the fire.

It's kinda funny how Ford lured the AAA headquarters out of downtown in 1972 (United Artists Building and the AAA Building still standing on the Statler block) to a site along the Southfield Fwy in Dearborn's Fairlane. I wonder if Henry Ford II (still the chairman of the company at the time) felt guilty about that one, and was the impetus for the RenCen the following year (1973)?

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford and supporting companies employ tens of thousands of people in the region and has been around for 100+ years but they move some office space and apparently everyone wants to condemn them to he!!. Comical.

So should people buy Chrysler cars? (moved to Aub Hills) Or how about any of the foreign nameplates? (no sizable employment in the city). GMAC is in the suburbs, so damn GM then.

What actual non-auto companies out there is it ok to support that has always and forever committed every possible resource to the city?

Gistok

Post Number: 3303
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Titanclub, I don't condone a boycott of their products... after all Ford needs all the help they can get...

But they moved EVERY LAST FORD EMPLOYEE OUT OF DETROIT... most of it was done when they were awash in cash back in the 1990's (1700 moved out of the RenCen to Dearborn).

So after a century of having a presence in Detroit they are now gone. You may find that comical, but I find that sad.

(Message edited by Gistok on December 21, 2006)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.