Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » NE Corner Outer Dr. & Southfield « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 27
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What used to be at the NE corner of Outer Dr. and Southfield (I am sure it is the NE corner) Currently this is where the old farmer jack was which is still a grocery store and the Henry Ford / Wayne State Building. Looking at old aerial photos it looks like a unique building with some kind of garden. Does anyone know what was here before the shopping center or have any photos of the corner before today?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3291
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't that the location of a Catholic High School, across the freeway from Mercy College?

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 3062
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you talking about the Bertha Fisher site?

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 191
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok...the Catholic high school across from Mercy College was Benedictine High. The school closed several years ago, but the building is still there. It's now a charter school.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 868
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 6:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Northeast corner was definitely the Bertha Fisher Home. It was for retired nuns, I believe. This is near my old neighborhood (Winship Community) which is down Outer Drive closer to Hubbel.

later - naturalsister

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 314
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Northeast corner...Bertha Fisher Home for Nuns
Northwest corner...Mercy College (merged with U. of D., soon to become a WCCC campus)
Southwest corner...St. Scholastic Church and school
Southeast corner...Benedictine High
The intersection was often referred to as "Catholic Corners"

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 409
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When the Bertha Fisher Home was torn down for the Farmer Jack Supermarket, a small brick gatehouse-like structure was saved and incorporated into the entrance of Farmer Jack's parking lot. It was a nice touch.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I think about the NE corner of Southfield and Outer Drive I clearly see the old Veterans Hospital.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 988
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rfban, you are thinking about down in Dearborn.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess there would be two intersections of Southfield and Outer Drive. Both of them don't by chance happen to have a Farmer Jack on their NE corners, do they?

(Message edited by charlottepaul on December 20, 2006)

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 990
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are...

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 869
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul,

The Northeast corner of O/D and S'field in Detroit HAD a Farmer Jack on that corner. The poster of this thread is correct. There is some other grocer there now.

later - naturalsister

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 991
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glory Foods

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 583
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neither have a Farmer Jacks

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 993
Posted on Wednesday, December 20, 2006 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one at S-field and O Drive had a Farmer Jack PRIOR to Food Basics which closed and Glory Foods opened.

Pamequus
Username: Pamequus

Post Number: 94
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, this will be dating myself, but I went to Mercy High School at that corner, for two years, before they built the "new" school in Farmington. That corner and all it's buildings is a part of my memory of the day President Kennedy was killed. I was at school. They sent us all home and I recall walking along Southfield thinking things just didn't look or feel the same. I believe I was 14.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 5320
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next to the where the old Bertha Fisher building for the retired Catholic Nuns is the 3 neighborhood blocks of College Park/Brightmooresque ranch homes and wood frame bungalows. After it went downhill since the late 1970s, the congregation from Fellowship Chapel bought the first 3 to the three city blocks north of 6 Mile Rd. to build their church. The rest of the blocks further north on Outer Drive Ave. were still blighted until the develop came to propose a new single family housing.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2006 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the info. Just yesterday When I was pulling into that plaza i was looking at that original structure described earlier. I thought there is no way a developer put that in when this was built it was to nice. That is what made me wonder if it was there before the stores were built

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.