Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Oldest structures in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is a pretty damn old town. Founded 1701, etc... I realize that Detroit's 'true' built history didn't begin until after the great fire (1806 or so). With this in mind, what is currently Detroit's oldest structure, either abandoned or occupied? I'm guessing Fort Wayne and its surroundings? Anything in Elmwood worth mentioning (even super-old headstones)? Churches? What about the abandoned dry docks warehouse near Chene Park?

(Message edited by gsgeorge on December 22, 2006)

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 781
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an old thread on this, search the archives. The answer was the Trowbridge House.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1816
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's one of the threads (this topic has come up several times over the years); earlier threads on this topic may have been lost...would like to see one of these threads in the Hall of Fame!

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/76017/77946.html

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 841
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the oldest buildings was the Alexander Chene house, which dated back to the 1850's. Many of us remember it as "Little Harry's" restaurant".
You can thank that urban copulation music diva Bieee--ach Anita Baker for tearing down the Chene so that thier IHOP could have parking. This demolition was carried out in flagrant violation of a court-ordered stay of demolition.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1819
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56packman: Although I was an Anita Baker fan at one time, since her husband Walter Bridgeforth had the Chene House demolished, I have boycotted her music!! I'm not a direct descendent of the Chenes who owned that particular house, but we share the same early Detroit ancestral heritage. Dave and I did retrieve a brick and a piece of timber from the Chene House, for heritage's sake.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3432
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now how old is Ft Wayne in relation to the city? I mean one would think that that would be the oldest structure in the city. Now I know this topic has been beaten to death, but just how old is that complex?

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 4369
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 10:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Started to be built in 1844

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3326
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... and the officer's quarters (that 3 story building within the fort) dates to 1848.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 9079
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are there not worker's row houses in Corktown that date back to the 1830s?

Gistok

Post Number: 3327
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes there are Goat... IIRC, after the 1826 Trowbridge House the next oldest residences in Detroit are circa 1834-37 in Corktown.

And the oldest (extant) churches are the 1848 Church of St. Peter & Paul (across the street from RenCen), and the 1849 Mariners Church (next to RenCen).

It's a pity that the old 1828 wooden Northwest Territory Courthouse/State Capitol building burned to the ground after it was converted to a school in the later 1800's. That was located (obviously) in Capitol Park, and had a nice looking steeple.

Amy_p
Username: Amy_p

Post Number: 738
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bill Bonds

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 185
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my goodness, Amy_p--that's a picture worthy of the elfyourself.com treatment!

Gistok

Post Number: 3336
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen, I feel the same disgust towards Walter Bridgeforth III that you do.

I remember after the illegal demo he said that something really exciting was going to go up in that spot... just wait and see.... yeah right... a pancake palace!

The National Trust needs to start up a "Hall of Shame". You can bet he would be in it!

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 4971
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's really sad that Detroit lost so much of its history. It's much older than my city of Lansing, but we have structures dating back to 1847 still standing, and quite a few from the 1850's.

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 53
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the info, everyone. I'll have to take a look there next time I pass by.

quote:

It's really sad that Detroit lost so much of its history. It's much older than my city of Lansing, but we have structures dating back to 1847 still standing, and quite a few from the 1850's.

I agree, it's sad. Ann Arbor has a building near the river from 1830.

Ahhh!! it's bill!

Gistok

Post Number: 3338
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW... aren't remnants of the old Moross House (1740's) found somewhere in Detroit? Or am I thinking of a reconstruction in the Detroit Historical Museum?

Gistok

Post Number: 3339
Posted on Friday, December 22, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also... Detroit's oldest surviving house, the 1828 Trowbridge House... isn't that just half of the original house that is still extant?

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 414
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, are you thinking of the Moross House on East Jefferson, a couple blocks east of the Chrysler? It's a red brick house from the mid-1800's. For years, it was the headquarters of something like the Michigan Horticultural Society. The City raised the rent a few years ago and they left. I'm not sure what it's current use or future planned use will end up being.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1820
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Moross House, located at 1460 E. Jefferson Ave., was home to the Detroit Garden Center, is now home to a law firm. As I understand it, a husband and wife bought the place. I thought they were living there, but not sure, and not sure if the law firm is theirs, or if they rent out the House.

Kathleen

Post Number: 1821
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Re: the Trowbridge House,

"...The house to 494 Jefferson Street was built in 1826 and has undergone several changes. Most noteably, the east side of the house was removed by two of Trowbridge's daughters in 1899 – 1900. This removal made room for 496 Jefferson to be built. The original house had a stable behind it, which now sits behind 496 Jefferson . A small brick structure also may be seen on maps between the house and the stable. ..."

From Wayne State U's Anthropology Museum website: http://www.anthro.wayne.edu/mu seum/MuseumCollectionSummary/T rowbridgeHouse.htm

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.