Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Is GM sitting on a cash cow? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just pondering how GM can turn their fortune around. Have GM officials ever thought about investing the OnStar technology in other car companies? Just having the OnStar service/technology as a GM feature is not really the boost the car company needs. However, making this service available on a widespread basis seems as though it could be a shot in the arm for the struggling automaker.

Any thoughts or am I simply talking out of the side of my neck on a lazy Saturday evening?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2014
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been a while since I posted this URL to BlondeStar, but it's still funny. OnStar is marketed toward fearful females.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 106
Posted on Saturday, December 23, 2006 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are right, it's definitely one of their greatest assets. i've heard little - if anything - bad said about it. And Gm knows it too - they're actually a few years ahead of you - onstar is also available on the 2007 Acura RL and MDX (and has been available on those and other Acuras since 2002.) It's also available on the Isuzu Ascender, but that's just a rebadged Trailblazer. It was also available on some 2003-2005 Audis, 2003-2004 Suburus, and 2004-2005 VW's.

source:
http://www.onstar.com/us_engli sh/jsp/equip_vehicles/07_vehic les.jsp
(and various links from that page)

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 548
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah they have tried to market to other car companies.. but for various reason other auto companies have not jumped on board.. probably because GM charges a premium..

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 655
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would not sell onStar, I would however figure out a way to get it into my competitor's cars!

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OnStar is a great asset and something that sets General Motors apart for all of it's competitors. While it is true that the technology and service have been sold to some other premium brands--GM is alone in offering the service on mid and lower end vehicle lines. The recent shift in marketing emphasizing OnStar availability is precisely because GM realizes the value of the program and how it makes all of GM's products unique in the market place. Personally I don't care who the service is marketed to, so long as it drives showroom traffic and secures employment for people in this region.

Moreta
Username: Moreta

Post Number: 286
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish people would realize that they get *much* faster service in emergency situations if they dial 911 directly from their cell phones whenever possible. I hate having to listen to an OnStar operator's liability spiel before I can ask the caller a single question.

**stepping off soapbox, returning thread to its rightful posters**

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you may be right, moreta. but what if my cellphone flew across my car and i'm pinned in a position if i can't reach it? does my cellphone know when my airbag went off? what if i'm unconscious? how about unlocking my doors? onstar is far more than just a cellphone embedded in my car.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.