Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Could you make it a week without a car. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Aschar76
Username: Aschar76

Post Number: 45
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can one go a week without a car in the Detroit Area ? What are the pros and cons of non-car transport. Less cash, more time & what about the safety for an inexperienced transit user.

Username: 3420

Post Number: 99
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can go forever without a car in Detroit. I really don't have to depend on the car. I like catching the bus and riding the people mover around downtown or whenever I'm going around the city. Detroiters need too walk more and take advantage of the buses and people mover when gas prices are too high.

I walked from my house to downtown before. Walked from New Center to downtown just because I like looking at all the beautiful architecture from New Center too the riverfront. Detroit looks so beautiful when you walk and see whats going on.

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it's possible... but very arduous.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 419
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think more people should try taking the bus to work atleast.

I am just a visitor to Detroit and even I have been able to ride the bus all the way out to Royal Oak and out to New Centre, etc. If an outsider can do it, I am sure locals can do it if they want.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3441
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have survived my whole life w/o a car in the D. Some days were wonderful others horrendous...

So it can be done provided the will is there to do it...

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't forget bike travel. Bikes can be very useful in Detroit. Taking the side streets and going through neighborhoods is fun and there is usually very little traffic. Just one problem...finding a lock hefty enough to prevent all the theft attempts.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 722
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 1:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you live without a car in Detroit? Sure, if you work downtown. Otherwise, it gets real dicey.

I was once without my car for a week commuting between Ferndale and Southfield. It required taking a couple bus routes, a bit of walking on roads not made for pedestrians, and almost an hour (vs. my 10 minute drive).

Pistonian_revolution
Username: Pistonian_revolution

Post Number: 64
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ive done it every day for two years now. but then again im a college student

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 788
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It depends on what part of metro Detroit...

I live and work in downtown Detroit, so a week without using a car is normal for me.

If you live in Canton, and work in Auburn Hills, a week without a car would be very difficult.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2289
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're near a commuter line in Detroit or an inner ring suburb, you're okay. Mack, Jefferson. Gratiot, Woodward, etc. Thousands of people are along commuter lines, they just prefer the car culture. Just about anyone who lives in Grosse Pointe and works downtown can take a bus, but few do, because metro Detroit has been accultured to look down on public trans, and always lean on the car. One of the indicators of being middle class, in most of society and definitly around here, is having your own car.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could do it rather easily, but I'm a cyclist that works out of my home. For trips to Lansing, I'd have to rent a car, but there's a car rental that's about a 15 minute walk from my front door.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 456
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, if I'm not taking classes after work.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 421
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Gross Points actually have JEFFERSON EXPRESS commuter routes at rush hours. So some must take the bus downtown to work :-)

I think one thing that would maybe get more people onto buses is proper sinage. The last time I was in Detroit, one thing made me very nervous waiting for the bus. And that was the lack of sinage. I had no idea where to wait, untill I saw other people waiting and I asked them if the bus went downtown. SMART had zero signs anywhere at the transit centre. And it was not just me who was confused. Other riders where also wondering where the bus picked up, etc.
The sinage is not there, and that is stressfull.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 302
Posted on Monday, December 25, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I'm an emergency worker. I could if I had frequent bus service between my house and work that run buses at least every half hour 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and every day of the week

Including this day on Christmas.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.