Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Gaelic Tugboat Co. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 186
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My brother was telling me about this company, which is located in SW Detroit by the bridge over Fort Street/Oakwood.
The Tugboat Co. has at least two tugs, one of them called the Shamrock.
Anyone know a little history of this company. Are there any photos of the tugs at work? Do they operate on the Detroit River, or just on the Rouge? He'd appreciate any info.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1227
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They've a website at http://www.gaelictugboat.com/ .

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 614
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I am not mistaken this company also runs the Diamond Jack boat line too.

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 61
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think this company, Ferriss on the Rouge where it meets the Detroit river is the one.

www.modeldmedia.com/features/t ug62.aspx t

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 332
Posted on Sunday, December 24, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gaelic owns I think 4 tugs at the moment - The Carolyn Hory, Patricia Hoey, William Hoey, and the Shannon (not Shamrock). Their home dock is just north of the Fort St bridge over the Rouge on the west bank. You can see the boats from the drawbridge, or drive on up Denmark Street a few blocks to the end of the road for a good view of the tugs. Gaelic is in fact the parent company for Diamond Jack's River Tours. You'll find the Diamond Jack, Diamond Belle, and mighty Diamond Queen are all tied up at the home dock beside the tugs, waiting for another season of tour duty to begin in early May with private charters. It is a family owned business.

Gaelic has a long history and is not the same company as Ferriss Marine. Ferriss bases their operations out of the old Rouge Riverbed between the Swing and 141 bridges, across from Zug Island.

Gaelic tugs are not confined to the Rouge. They have many long haul assignments through the season that bring them to Lake Erie, Huron, or Michigan. They used to keep a tug in Toledo too, but I don't think they do any longer. Gaelic tugs also to ship tow work and assist some freighters into and out of the Rouge. They also have the fueling contract for the ore boats that go to Severstal Steel, and are often moving barges between various Rouge docks and the Nicholson Terminal Co in Ecorse. They have various other assignments as well.

What else would you like to know?
(Merry Christmas!!)

(Message edited by busterwmu on December 25, 2006)

Hardhat
Username: Hardhat

Post Number: 187
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info and links.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Billy Brew can best respond to this thread.
I met Bill Hoey, the owner of Gaelic Tug way back in the early 60's when he was a lineman for the Ma Bell Telephone Company and his hope then was to become a tug operator. He has since accomplished that goal bigtime and has always been a strong supporter of the Dossin Museum.
The only bum decision he ever made was to nominate me for a "one year term" as secretary of the Great Lakes Maritime Institute (GLMI)when I appeared at my first meeting, since I was the "new kid on the block". 28 years later, I had served 28 consecutive one year terms.
So much for the one term nomination!!

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1345
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ LOL now you know what NAVY is an acronym for.

Busterwmu

Post Number: 336
Posted on Tuesday, December 26, 2006 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_Rock, could someone who works for Diamond Jack's not be the best one to respond on this thread? :-) BillyBBrew will probably have some things to add to what I said.

The_rock

Post Number: 1477
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that would be his daughter at the helm of the Diamond Jack vessels. I don't know if you will hear from her or not.
There are several members of the Marine Historical Society of Detroit who knew him better than I did. He has always been generous to that organization, too.
Paul Lamarre is another name that comes to mind.

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 230
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ferriss Marine also has a long history having been in business since 1974 (about 10 years less than Gaelic). It was founded by Charles "Chick" Ferriss when he was 22 years old. His father and uncles were all tugboaters as well and Chick worked for Gaelic in the early 1970's while he organized Ferriss Marine. Ferriss' business is more complementary to Gaelic as opposed to "competition" We have deck barges (Gaelic has tank barges) We have small tugs that can go small and shallow places for dredging, etc.(Gaelic has bigger tugs that can't, but can go alot faster and are more practical for ship towing) All in all, the Rouge River is a neat little niche in Detroit where a variety of gritty hard working industries seem to survive the tests of time. Most of the industries in the area have been there for a long time. Gaelic and Ferriss are no exceptions. We wish Gaelic the best and I know they wish us the best as well. Gaelic was indeed formed by Bill Hoey back in the 1960's when he bought out Fuller Towing and later Becker Towing (where Chick's dad worked for years). It is a small world in the Great Lakes Shipping industry and an even smaller world when it comes to tugboating, particularly in the Detroit area. Everyone knows everyone and is somehow connected to each other in some way.

The_rock

Post Number: 1478
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bbrew---Thanks for chiming in. I don't want to get buster tweeked at me for suggesting that you were "best" to respond. That was not a good word to use. There are a lot of knowledgable folks out there who know the tug companies histories--you and buster being two of them.
Say, by the way, isn't one of Gaelic's tugs still sitting on the bottom of Lake Erie? Seems to me Capt. Bill made a purchase of a (McAllister?) tug in New York, but when bringing her back he had to abandon the tug out in the middle of Lake Erie ( so close from home), and is it still down in Davey Jones' locker or did it get salvaged?

Busterwmu

Post Number: 338
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh Rock, I'm just joking around. I know you meant nothing negative. There are plenty of experts on this forum about everything imaginable, and even some things unimaginable. Capt Brew is quite right, Gaelic and Ferriss compliment each-other through their operations in the river. Everyone does their own thing, and they blow a friendly salute to each-other when they pass. You are also correct, Bill's daughter is "at the helm" of Gaelic and Diamond Jacks, but he is still very involved. He is a very knowledgable man and appreciates hard honest work. Paul LaMarre is a great guy. Go on any of the Diamond Jack's boats and you'll find many of his great paintings on the walls inside. Everyone knows everyone else - it's kind of like a big extended family!

-BusterWMU, securing the lines as the Diamond Queen pulls into the Hart Plaza dock yet again - just like we never left!

The_rock

Post Number: 1480
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK you knowledgable tug boat buffs! Answer my question. Is there a Gaelic tug still resting on the bottom of Lake Erie or am I referring to some other marine disaster?

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 231
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, and will be until eternity, no reason to salvage it......I really don't like talking about my competitor's misfortunes, especially on a public forum. Someday the tables could be turned. That is why I did not answer before!

WPS

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.