Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Good article about Ford and Detroit/Michigan's Future. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hagglerock
Username: Hagglerock

Post Number: 368
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200 61226/ap_on_bi_ge/detroit_auto _buyouts

"Hard times at Ford, General Motors Corp., DaimlerChrysler Corp. and their suppliers mean hard times for Michigan, where all three are headquartered and where the auto industry dominates the economy. The state is on track to lose 336,000 jobs between mid-2000 and the end of 2006, the longest stretch of job losses since the Great Depression"

Mostly old news for those of us who are following this, nonetheless it's nice to see some mainstream recognition/empathy for the average Michigander.
D

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 250
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"He looked at jobs elsewhere, put in three applications out of state and heard nothing. There were a couple places in Tennessee looking for tool and die workers, but they were Toyota suppliers and can barely bring himself to say the word 'Toyota.' He didn't apply."

I wonder can he say "homeless"...

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 126
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought something similar, that he would learn how to say Toyota very quickly if he lost his job.

Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me the difference in wages between an average Big 3 factory in Michigan and Toyota plants in the South?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing to remember: the cost of living is much lower in the South. Housing is ridiculously cheap in many areas.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 128
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that is definitely true. I was asking about the Michigan salaries just to get a baseline from which to compare. Once you have the baseline, you can adjust for living costs. What I am interested in ultimately finding out is whether the union workers really have much greater benefits than non-union ones, all things considered.

Tigers2005
Username: Tigers2005

Post Number: 102
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, ask yourself: If there were no unions, would non-union benefits be as good as they are? I think that non-union workers benefit from unions almost as much as the union workers do. They don't have to pay the union dues, but the union negotiators do the work to set the union benefits and wages where they are at, which non-union companies then have to compete with to get workers. Those are just my rambling thoughts...

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes and the non-union auto workers in the South wouldn't even be making what they're making, if it wasn't for UAW wages.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.