Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Royal Oak cops working the I-75 Revenue Stream « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 7745
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 5:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh, I was driving home from a late appointment this morning when I noticed a person climbing the angled embankment under the 10 Mile Road overpass (I think, it was all a mess there before I-696). I caught myself watching in amazement since I've never seen any homeless hiding under bridges outside the city.

Then, I noticed another fellow at the far end of the concrete wall with a tripod...and a laser speed detector! He was SO hidden in the shadow that I would never have seen him if my eyes hadn't been drawn to the other guy climbing up the angled cement.

A very short while further south, there were a few of Royal Oak's finest with motorists pulled over...very crafty.

So Royal Oak has finally taken Livonia and Allen Park's lead in nabbing speeders on the Interstate...it is much easier revenue enhancement than patrolling the actual streets of their city...even though there is very little proof that they are doing anything of value making the highways any safer.

Ten or fifteen over on a limited access highway that is empty at three in the morning isn't exactly dangerous behavior...but drunks driving their surface streets certainly could be.

So, I'm warning everyone that drives I-75...stick to the limit so you don't add to their coffers...and get stuck with three year's worth of higher insurance rates.

Maybe we need an updated speed trap thread...this is one from earlier in the year.

(should be in the hall-of-fame or FAQ or something!)

Malcovemagnesia
Username: Malcovemagnesia

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 6:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have mixed feelings about this, as a guy who has gotten more speeding tickets than I can count (and a couple license suspensions, way back when I was a teenager/20-something... not really that long ago)...

I really despise cops who pull people over for easy pickin's at 5 to 10 over the limit; but at the same time it's infuriating to watch reckless crazies racing well past 30+ over while weaving down I-696 or I-75... do those morons ever get caught? I've also seen a few crashes on that dramatic curve on 75 between 8 & 10 mile roads.

Gannon

Post Number: 7749
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 7:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I'm ALL FOR the State Police collecting for Jenny and the bulk of us...I just hate like the dickens some shitty municipality grabbing bucks hand over fist and setting up some unsuspecting schmuck for many years of legislated unsurance company abuse.

That WAS originally a typo, but I'm going to stick with it from now on...since 9/11 EVERY insurance company has become UNsurance. Screw these corporate freaks tickling the general public's fear synapse to sell more 'coverage' whose claims are always challenged and loopholes always exploited!! Screw harder the 'innocent' mathematical genius actuaries who always tip the odds in the favor of the house, er I mean company.

321brian
Username: 321brian

Post Number: 234
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 8:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are ALWAYS on westbound 696 at I-75.

Mcpd1300
Username: Mcpd1300

Post Number: 143
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Westbound & Eastbound 696. You used to see a Pleasant Ridge officer down there sometimes and even a Huntington Woods on the WB bend just past Woodward. Now it's just Royal Oak looking to screw over whoever they can on the freeway.

Royal Oak has a plethora of officers on it's streets though. It's a bit much sometimes. But i'm in full agreement with Gannon on this one... I don't mind MSP on the freeways... that's their job. But local PD's should stay off. The local PD's are always the first to complain when MSP starts making stops in the city, but suddenly it's ok for a local PD to make money off the freeway... hypocrisy at it's best.

(Message edited by mcpd1300 on December 27, 2006)

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 817
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon wrote that 10 or 15 over on a freeway at 3 AM isn't dangerous but that drunks on the surface steets are.

Actually, at 3 AM a LOT of those speeders on the freeway are drunk, too.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 460
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, It doesn't pay to go much over the limit. I don't keep my eyes glued to the speedo, rather just make sure I'm out of the left lane unless necessary and just going with the flow of traffic. Not had a ticket in years. The on ramps of 696 from Southfield onto Warren are where I always see them hiding. Most frequently, the Royal Oak cops are tucked up against the wall at the 75 SB ramp to WB 696. I don't think we can pin this on Jenny, RO is spiking their parking meter rates too.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 390
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Never leave home w/o a top notch radar/laser detector and a CB radio.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 726
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or just do as I do, keep it pegged at 79. Won't attract any attention, and you'll be able to comfortably cruise in the middle lane (when available) or be going just fast enough to feel good about yourself passing all the slowpokes.

Ever since I realized the difference in arrival time when going 75-80 vs 80-85, I slowed down, and haven't come close to a ticket since. The difference is so minimal it's not worth the risk.

Unless you're driving cross country, where an extra 5mph over hundreds of miles makes a big dent.

Burnsie

Post Number: 819
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't anybody give a damn on here about saving gas by not speeding?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1247
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could be wrong but I believe radar/laser detectors don't help in any particular incident. Isn't it true that, by the time you've detected the radar, they already know your speed?

They are useful over time in building an understanding of typical local speed trap locations.

Gannon

Post Number: 7769
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Burnsie,

ME! I nail the cruise exactly at the limit and stay in the right lane unless there is some bozo coming on that never learned what 'merge' means...or someone is actually driving slower than me!

I drove home last week from just east of K'zoo well after midnight with no other traffic...so I could keep it as 55 the whole way.

Zero stress and my mileage jumped from 27 or so to over 35 mpg in my Audi A4 1.8T Avant (wagon)! I'll have to check that tank's figures, because I got some truly unbelievable mileage on that tank. Twice I've gotten nearly 45 mpg through the UP at 55 mph, but now that the car just turned over 248,000 miles it isn't quite as good.

I need to replace at least one of my plug coils...next tuneup will be complete.

Usually it is about 330 miles per fillup, this one was over 500.

Fucking amazing.

Jimaz,

Yeah, by the time you get a laser report it is usually too late. I've stopped using any sort of noise making distraction devices in my car outside the radio/CD and my phone.

Entertainment and communication...that's all you need when you don't speed!

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 92
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who has jurisdiction when writing tickets on the freeway? I always thought that only the state police could ticket you. I think a lot of times when you see cops sitting out there they might be looking for stolen cars and such.
On another note, one time my car died on I-94 and the state police pulled up behind me. It was two nice-looking women cops, one black and one white. I asked them if they could drop me off at my buddy's garage. They said yes but there was no screen between the front and back seat so they had to frisk me. I wanted to say something stupid like, "Hey you got five minutes to knock that off" or "Take me to your leader" but I thought better of it. My buddy was all jealous. Did I tell this story before? My apologies if I did.

Dpd_blue
Username: Dpd_blue

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the freeway runs through there city, the local police department or sheriff have the authority to patrol that area.

Ha_asfan
Username: Ha_asfan

Post Number: 66
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Royal Oak and Pleasant Ridge cops have a great setup on South and North bound Woodward Ave at the 696 underpass. Pleasant Ridge police hunker down at the lowest point of that underpass and nab everyone going over 50, the posted speed is 45 but everyone seems to think that they are on a freeway, not Woodward Ave. The other spot is at the very top of the North bound, after you leave the underpass, they wait, parked in the median on the left and strike like vipers. Watch out.

Gannon

Post Number: 7772
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Little thing called GRAVITY, coupled with the free-wheeling overdrive automatic transmissions will put EVERY car over 50 on that downhill...those cops are jerks for using that speed trap, and the judges are bigger jerks for letting it happen.

NO EXCUSE on the way UPHILL, though. Heh.

Gannon

Post Number: 7773
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ordinary,

You can tell that story as often as you wish...that's funny.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 728
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha_asfan, I lived in Ferndale for a year and never once did I see the underpass trick you describe. I did occasionally see them coming out of the underpass southbound.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3807
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where can we find the stats on how much certain cities make from traffic tickets?? Surely this is public information, right?

Burnsie

Post Number: 820
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

City of Lansing cops frequently hang out on I-496, nabbing people going too far over the 55 limit. I don't go faster than 60 but when I see a cop car in the median I get it to 55, fast.

Gannon, it's nice to know there's a kindred spirit who gets a kick out of seeing how many miles per gallon one can get! There sure don't seem to be too many of us out there. My Saturn wagon once averaged 44 MPG along US-2 in the UP. Even my 1989 LeSabre, with a little TLC, has been known to get 34 MPG on good days in warmer weather.

When I was attending Wayne State, I'd often drive 65-70 most of the way from East Lansing, to keep with the pace of the busy afternoon traffic. But when driving back at night in the light traffic, I'd park the cruise at 55, kick back and enjoy thinking about the dollars (and wear on the car) I was saving.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 170
Posted on Wednesday, December 27, 2006 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hornwrecker posted this before, and I will post it again. This covers the whole state of MI.

http://www.speedtrap.org/speed traps/ste_city.asp?state=MI

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4162
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everywhere it seems I'm playing what I call the Bad Luck Speeding Lottery. I try to keep pace with the traffic around me, and should our entire mob of motorists be speeding, I just hope that the Lottery doesn't pick my car out of the lot.

It's been ages since I've been pulled over for anything and I'm thankful.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 648
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

8 Mile/Woodward is looking more cop-congested then ever. I saw 4 cars pulled over on my way to work today. Ah the joy of being home on christmas break!

Cambrian

Post Number: 462
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Doesn't anybody give a damn on here about saving gas by not speeding?"

In the 70s this was a good argument since the median car was a full size domestic car with a V8 and a three speed automatic. The way it was geared it would be reving less at 55 than 80 and would use less gas. I can't believe with todays modern fuel injected V6s' with 6 speed automatics one would see much a difference between 55 and 80, may be worse at lower speeds if the car has to run at a lower gear to maintain that speed. That was the gripe of the truckers in the 1970s their rigs were designed to cruise along at 90. They would have to run a lower gear to maintain 55 and would end up using more gas on top of taking longer to reach their destination and get paid.

Gannon

Post Number: 7785
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogger,

That is exactly why I drive the speed limit...traffic flow be damned. I'll be in the far right-hand lane and they can just speed around me.

I'M waiting for the adventurous cop to pull me over for obeying the law...

Cambrian,

NO matter the efficiencies of the drivetrain...these things ALL push air above their aerodynamic 'equilibrium point'. Not an official term, I was dredging for something to describe the flow image I have in my noggin of the air around an moving object. After a certain velocity ALL objects start to crush together the air molecules in the path of it's next moment of forward motion, increasing friction exponentially...the vehicle has to be designed to 'cut' it for maximum efficiency.

We would all be driving cars that looked like airplanes IF they truly designed these for higher speed aerodynamics, and none of 'em would pass a crash test.

My Audi wagon is apparently WAY more efficient at 55 than even 65...and then again 70 drags the mileage down again by another percentage. I've got the data trail for consumption, but usually do NOT note actual average mph unless I'm on a long road trip and play another experiment to keep my mind occupied.

I DO note the trip computer's average mph recording, but those always seem to be coached to the last thirty minutes driving, not the entire duration of the tank.

Cheers.

Cambrian

Post Number: 464
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon: Drag coefficient is term you are looking for. The drag co efficient is lots lower now than it was. That may change a little as I hear the domestics may have to comply with pedestrian impact regulations that are being enforced in the EU. These would make the front clips of cars more squared off to allow for more crumple in low speed impacts with a human.

Motownmark04
Username: Motownmark04

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'M waiting for the adventurous cop to pull me over for obeying the law...

Come on over to Dearborn Heights.

Zephyrprocess
Username: Zephyrprocess

Post Number: 188
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yesterday, Burnsie wrote

quote:

Actually, at 3 AM a LOT of those speeders on the freeway are drunk, too.

Indeed
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/10041/89704.html?1167321 388

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4165
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dearborn Heights will pull you over for driving the speed limit? What's he going to get charges with? A DWG? A "Driving While Gannon"?

Gannon

Post Number: 7794
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motownmark04,

Welcome! I used to live there, and know more than a few of the officers.

Worked with one of 'em 28 years ago in an East Dearborn gas station...damn guy looks nearly the same as he did then, albeit with new and improved firepower!

Plus, I'm in with the great guys at Tel/Warren Shell...even tonight Dean the Nighttime Tow Hero laughed that he'd get me out of whatever bind I'd ever find myself in there!!

Smogger,

I don't want to know what the penalty is for THAT! Damn, would my passengers then be guilty by association if they couldn't prove they were in the car unwillingly?!

I'm in a giggling shit fit right now...thanks, I needed that.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 308
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 5:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The exact same money that used to pay for the SMART Middlebelt bus is now set aside to widen 25 miles of freeways. Then the police will make lots more money. But, the taxpayers will not fight for state transit funds. If we had more bus service, we could reduce the number of cars on the roads and save lives.

The transit advocates such as the Transportation Rider United are wrong when they say that we can't build our way out of urban sprawl because MDOT and SEMCOG are proving very well that we can.

But, do we want to build are way out?

The answer should not be just NO, but HELL NO, until our state pays for public bus service first.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.