Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Vacant Detroit Public School buildings available for lease. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 317
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting. From the DPS Website:

http://www.detroit.k12.mi.us/a dmin/bs/bss/fm/properties/Vaca ntDPSBuildingsAvailableforLeas e.pdf

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's interesting. A few of the buildings aren't very old, either. I am guessing that many of them aren't in the greatest repair, however.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont see the Wilbur Wright school on there. Weren't there rumors of a possible loft project happening? Unfortunately in the last year or so the building is almost a complete loss as far as interior goes.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 649
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm amazed of the number of small schools (less than 20 classrooms) on the list. No wonder the operating costs were/are so high!

I thought the old school of the arts/Wright High was bought as soon as the school moved to the new location.

Brandon48202
Username: Brandon48202

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of these schools have to be worth a decent amount of money. I wonder why they are not selling? Are they waiting for the city population to rebound? I honestly think that the city should sell these buildings ASAP in order to prevent them from getting stripped.

(Message edited by brandon48202 on December 28, 2006)

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11059
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I dont see the Wilbur Wright school on there. Weren't there rumors of a possible loft project happening? Unfortunately in the last year or so the building is almost a complete loss as far as interior goes.

The building has in fact been sold to a developer. I spoke with the construction crew a few months back. Though their work basically entailed securing the building and installing railing in all of the open windows, likely to create a safer work environment during rehab I assume. I haven't seen any additional work since they secured the building.

Cman710

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, December 28, 2006 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know of an articles or books about the contraction of Detroit's school system. Given the huge depopulation over the last 50 years, that had to be a huge issue.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 416
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In The Rise and Fall of an Urban School System - Detroit 1907-81 (UofM Press, 1999), Jeffrey Mirel provides a detailed, yet readable history of the Detroit Public Schools. Later editions of the book contain an epilogue covering the late 80's and early 90's.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The building has in fact been sold to a developer. I spoke with the construction crew a few months back. Though their work basically entailed securing the building and installing railing in all of the open windows, likely to create a safer work environment during rehab I assume. I haven't seen any additional work since they secured the building.

Thats good to hear. I have some friends in woodbridge that will be happy about this. Heres to hoping something actually happens.

Cman710

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Neilr,

Thanks very much! I will definitely have to check that out. I appreciate the recommendation!

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1996
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a look at the old Ypsi high school which has been converted to housing for seniors

http://images.google.com/imgre s?imgurl=http://www.yhf.org/ho metour/2002/210_W_Cross_Vertic al_640.JPG&imgrefurl=http://ww w.yhf.org/hometour/2002/&h=960 &w=640&sz=130&hl=en&start=3&tb nid=Gt42ZvDz15cI3M:&tbnh=148&t bnw=99&prev=/images%3Fq%3D210% 2Bw%2Bcross%2Bypsilanti%26svnu m%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26sa% 3DN

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.