Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Commerce Building Demolition « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 273
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Is everyone gloating about Fountain Walk and missing the action across the street from the Book Cadillac?

Oh, wait, you're all in Canada or Ann Arbor.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 987
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.detroityes.com/searchbo th.htm

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 172
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was plenty of talk about it in relation to the recent book cadillac renovations in some sort of thread with some title about selling air rights.

Huggybear

Post Number: 274
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're missing the point. The demo started today. You don't need a search to see that no one noticed it.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 201
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The demolition of the Commerce Building started before Thanksgiving.

Huggybear

Post Number: 275
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe interior but not the knockdown.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe no one raced to the internet to post about it, maybe people were busy.

Why don't you try to say something meaningful, or try sparking a conversation about the demolition, instead of trying to stir up divisiveness between city and suburb in yet another thread?

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you're so upset about it, go take some pictures, and then post them, like what was done with the fountain walk thread. get some conversation going yourself, instead of complaining about why someone else hasn't said anything yet. take the initiative instead of waiting for others. maybe no one else was downtown today or maybe you're just more observant.

Huggybear

Post Number: 276
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The point is not to stir up dissent. If I wanted to attack the suburbs (which Toronto and AA clearly are not), it would be obvious.

The point of this is that although there is an amazing fixation with the failure of Fountain Walk, including pictures, the final (and most obvious) phase of one of the most discussed demos on DY in recent months started (and is probably now finished) without anyone's noticing. I am on the slow track hearing about things. Even I heard about it this morning and even after an entire business day it was quite surprising to see no note, no RIP, nothing. I'm sure it would have been interesting to see, but I haven't been free even the 15 minutes it would take to walk there.

I'm not upset about the demo in the least (that building was done). Just as long as falling debris does not damage Lafayette Coney Island.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The knockdown started a few weeks before Christmas as I recall. I went around the city and saw 4 holes punched for interior work and part of the top was coming down.

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 251
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A massive chunk near the top of the wall with the advertisement was removed weeks ago. Things stopped for awhile and that's why nobody has posted about it.

There was even a thread posted with a link to the Detroitblog which covered this building in detail.

People on Detroityes have overdiscussed in countless threads the demolition of this building and what is to come.

Frankly, many of us are tired of it. Some of us have even been inside of it within the past weeks. There's not much more to talk about, other than it's coming down.

If you want us to talk more about it, post some pictures, so we can complain about demolition some more.

Scs100

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen. Too bad the parking garage is needed...

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 654
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The demolition of the Commerce was noticed and it did not start today. The knockdown started weeks ago and pics were posted in the BC construction thread. The pace has just quickened with them finishing demolition of the walkway.
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/78124.html

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 343
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if Heineken was informed that their huge ad on the side of the Commerce Bldg. was going to be removed seeing as how the building is coming down. Or will they continue to pay for an ad that doesn't exist now that the building is undergoing demolition? lol :-) Was that ad painted on? A good spot to photograph the demo and the B-C behind it is from the 1001 Garage, 9th floor, over Woodward CVS.

Scs100

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the looks of it and how long it has been there, I would guess that it was painted on.

A_franklins_son
Username: A_franklins_son

Post Number: 66
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://img132.imageshack.us/im g132/4464/p1020256ws0.jpg
http://img82.imageshack.us/img 82/8109/p1020257ym6.jpg

Scs100

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, December 29, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the pics. I'll have to go down tomorrow for another look.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.