Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Founding Fathers burial sites « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Luv313
Username: Luv313

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know where the founders and chief planners of Detroit are buried? Antoine de Cadillac? Dequindre? St Aubin? etc. I know that the oldest cemetary is Mt. Elliot, but the marked graves only go back to the 1830's or so. Thanks.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 1580
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cadillac was buried on his estate in southern France.

Locally there were at least three earlier cemeteries:

St Anne's Cemetery
Jefferson Ave and Griswold
Founded 1701 | 1798-removed to St Anne's Larned
(only marked graves were moved)

St Anne's Cemetery-Larned
Larned and Bates
Used until 1827 removed to St Antoine's Cemetery

St Antoine Street Cemetery
St Antoine and Raynor
Est 1827 | closed 1855-remains moved to Mt Elliott Cemetery

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1333
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While not a founding father, John Mason, the first governor of MI is buried in Capitol Park.

I always find that pretty interesting.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3377
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always wondered where in Capitol Park the old 1828 Territorial Courthouse (1828-37) and later (1837-47) State Capitol was located. Was it facing the triangular park from the south, or was it on that triangle of land? Anyone know?

Since it was made of wood, I always thought it would be cool to reconstruct it on its original site (if it doesn't require demolition). They reconstructed many colonial buildings in Philadelphia and Williamsburg, so why not?

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1719
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Capitol/Central HS/Park

Had this map hanging around for months with no where to post. Sanborn, 1884

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1828
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love it, Hornwrecker!!

Dan: That would be Stevens T. Mason, the first governor of Michigan. His father was John Mason, governor of Kentucky. And Stevens T. was originally buried in New York City, but moved to the Capitol Park site in 1905. http://www.michigan.gov/former governors/0,1607,7-212--52864- -,00.html

And to follow up Lilpup's posting, the graves that were moved from Ste. Anne's to Mount Elliott are not marked, but the general area where the early French residents are buried within Mt. Elliott is known. Their descendants have marked graves throughout the cemetery so it is possible to find graves for families such as Campau, Beaubien, St. Aubin, and Chene.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1334
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops. Thanks for the correction Kathleen, it was late ;)

Anyway I think his ashes are there, not his whole body, but I have heard if anyone from Ohio ever comes up here to cause a problem his body will reform and come back to life with an army of veterans from the Toledo war to kick their ass.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3384
Posted on Saturday, December 30, 2006 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Hornwrecker!

I was just looking at W. Hawkins Ferry's book Buildings Of Old Detroit, and it listed this house as a brick building, which burned down in 1893. What I'm not sure about is whether the footprint of the front half of the building (on the right of the map) was the entire 1828 structure, or if it was added to. In the Ferry book it shows the building as having a 2 story portico (porch) along the entire front with 6 classic columns. That is not how it appears in the map.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1720
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old, Old Central HS
wsu/vmc

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 157
Posted on Sunday, December 31, 2006 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Father Gabriel Richard is at the Ste. Anne Church.
http://www.michmarkers.com/pag es/S0464.htm
http://info.detnews.com/histor y/story/index.cfm?id=184&categ ory=people

What a remarkable resume!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.