Discuss Detroit » DetroitYES Classified Ads » Laid off? Looking? I need your help. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Irvine_laird
Username: Irvine_laird

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, March 04, 2009 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been unemployed twice in my career: An 11-month drag in which I ended up back in my parents' house and a three-month stretch in which I was literally homeless.

Unemployment threatened to damage my confidence and dull my edge, but I found something that helped me stay on top of my game and get a job: Apply my expertise to volunteer work.

I manage the fundraising, marketing, and special events team at Habitat for Humanity in Oakland County. Yeah, yeah, yeah, the economy is doing what it does this year. Revenue is down, output is down, etc., etc. I'm using the crisis, however, to position my organization for growth in the future. And despite the economy, we'll still do some great work this year.

I need people who can help me plan, manage, and market two major events that will draw media coverage, thousands of volunteers, and dozens of companies as partners. I'm not looking for people to take orders; I'm looking for people who can apply their minds to making these big events a success. You will be given management responsibility with my support.

Along the way, you will meet business, education, and government officials who could be just the right contacts to help you get a job.

I also need managers to help me with some strategic planning for 2010 and beyond.

If you're willing to be a management volunteer for five to ten hours a week (or more), please send me an email with your resume: sponsors@habitatoakland.org.