Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Rosedale Park in the 1970's « Previous Next »
Archive through May 31, 200765memories71 05-31-07  4:30 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 235
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southwestmap:
You are correct, the neighborhood was indeed well integrated into the late 70's. At the very end of the 70's, I'd estimate my block in south Rosedale was 65% white and 35% black. Probably majority black today.

My old block still looked good in 2004 and the island was being maintained well. In the background of the photograph in my May 28, 2007 post, you can make out the northern tip of our island. Often the ends of the island were full of perennials.

Corktowner
Username: Corktowner

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That other grocery store was Great Scott!
I'm building new memories living in Corktown, another great place to live in the city.

65memories
Username: 65memories

Post Number: 417
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corktowner...today I went by your old house at Rosemont/Chalfonte on the way home and the house still looks great.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1511
Posted on Thursday, May 31, 2007 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I promised to post a photo of the three houses on Warwick a few posts back, and sorry to report that my scanner took a dump. Maybe later.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 252
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are the boundaries of Corktown?

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1020
Posted on Friday, June 01, 2007 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I recall, Rosedale/Grandmont is even more black than the Detroit average. Just significantly more upper class though.

Corktowner
Username: Corktowner

Post Number: 15
Posted on Monday, June 04, 2007 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corktown is bounded by 6th to 14th (east-west) & I-75 to Porter (north-south).

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 295
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corktowner:
I'm not at all familiar with the Corktown area you specified, except for Tiger stadium. In fact, it appears that Tiger Stadium takes up a substantial area in Corktown. Please educate me - what are the plans for Tiger Stadium? Does Corktown have a development plan?

Is there a Corktown website, or a source that has photographs of the area's attributes?

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2187
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Focusonthed is correct that Rosedale and Grandmont have a higher percentage of black folks than the city as a whole. And Focusonthed is correct that it's mainly upper middle class - a median household income of around $71,000, higher than most of Oakland Co. and higher than the Grosse Pointes.

While most of Rosedale and Grandmont likely voted for Hendrix since he's done so much in the neighborhood (long before he was a politician) you have to remember that Christine Beatty lives in North Rosedale. So I doubt they'd punish the neighborhood for aligning with Hendrix. Beatty would be hurting herself as well.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll bet they know who the F___ she is!

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 904
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"While most of Rosedale and Grandmont likely voted for Hendrix since he's done so much in the neighborhood (long before he was a politician) you have to remember that Christine Beatty lives in North Rosedale. So I doubt they'd punish the neighborhood for aligning with Hendrix. Beatty would be hurting herself as well."

Actually, Grandmont and the Rosedale's voted Kilpatrick, much to my surprise. Especially considering that N. Rosedale is also Hendrix's neighborhood. I didn't even know Beatty lived there...

65memories

Post Number: 419
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beatty is a recent resident. Hendrix has been there for 20+ years, even serving as a North Rosedale Park Board member and Past-President of the Association and one of the founders of the Rosedale-Grandmont Little League. So if N. Rosedale went for Kilpatrick, it is a surprise, especially considering the high visibility of Hendrix signs in the neighborhood compared to Kilpatrick signs. Maybe those were the ballots that some said ended up on Belle Isle...

Iheartthed

Post Number: 910
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Maybe those were the ballots that some said ended up on Belle Isle..."

Maybe. I couldn't believe it until myself, but that's clearly what the election maps showed (they were posted on the Detroit News website some time ago). Apparently, he did some serious campaigning over there inbetween the primary and the general election. He owes his re-election to that area...

Hawthorne
Username: Hawthorne

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My aunt lived in Rosedale Park on Grandville south of Chalfonte from 1964 to 1967. I remember there was a small air-tube opening near the side door that didn't seem to be used for water pipes or electrical wires. Always wondered if it might have been a low-tech intercom to allow someone at the door to identify themselves before the door was opened?

When visiting my Aunt, we were sometimes treated to lunch at the "new" McDonald's on Grand River just West of the Southfield Expwy. Hamburgers were only 15 cents back then.

At nearby Stoepel Park, my cousins and I would walk a short trail that was in among the trees and hedges to get to the playground.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 404
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vividly recall journeying through the large hedges and "trees" at the great Stoepel Park. There is a brief discussion on "Stoepel Park in the 1970's", please see

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/102667.html?1180181113

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 357
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a Rosedale Park home owners association newsletter from the 50s. Very conservative.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 405
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terryh:

That Rosedale Park (RP) home owners association newsletter would be very interesting to read. Maybe another poster has a more recent (or older) RP newsletter which could also be shared?

Please scan and share it in this thread?

Terryh
Username: Terryh

Post Number: 362
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need to obtain access to a scanner: give me a couple of days.

65memories

Post Number: 421
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Terry..as a 30 year resident of Rosedale Park and past member of the Board, I'd like to see it too.

65memories

Post Number: 422
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936...this is a picture of your old house on Warwick...The photo was taken yesterday.
Ray1936's house on Warwick

65memories

Post Number: 423
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Club Boss...This is your grandmother's old house on Warwick in Rosedale Park, which was next door to Ray1936.
Club Boss

65memories

Post Number: 424
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is Billy Rogell's old house on Warwick, next to Ray1936
Rogell

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 420
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray1936:
It would be great to view both "then" and "now" photographs of the three houses on Warwick. Courtesy of 65memories, we've seen the "now" and the houses look very nice. For the "then" photographs, it would be nice to see your photographs, if your scanner works.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 476
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are two photographs from 1989 on Greenview in south Rosedale Park.

Facing north

Block party

65memories

Post Number: 426
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Bump" for Ray1936

Ray1936

Post Number: 1586
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the bump, 65memories, and WOW....did that tree between the sidewalk and the curb ever take off! I can't believe it. There was an old elm tree there when we moved in in 77, and the city took it down about 81. In 82 they planted that tree there, and it was but a sapling even when we moved in 1984. The house looks in fine shape, also.

Thanks a bundle for those photos. Brings back some very warm memories, and I'm delighted to see the old stomping grounds looking so well maintained.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5415
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And we always thought Ray1936 came from modest means as a poor Detroit Times newsboy. Wow, he sure did upgrade from his days at the Washburn/Grand River sub-station working for Jim Beyers.

Really beautiful property, Ray. Congratulations.

jjaba's old Northlawn house still looks wonderful too. There is a lotta pride in the private homes in NW Detroit.

jjaba, Westside old timey newsboy, "dooring em".

Ray1936

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it was a beautiful home, and it was a little painful to sell and move, but the lure of the west was just too much. We bought the house originally from my Detroit Times Christmas tips. No, I don't regret one minute making the move. We've loved living in the desert and we go back to Michigan in the summer every year for two or three weeks, so what the heck. Ain't for everyone, but works for us.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5418
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba bought a used car with his Detroit Times Christmas tips. Ray1936 must have been an ace on his news route. jjaba was good, and the route was in our family for eight yrs., but not THAT good to buy in Rosedale.

jjaba, Proud to be Westside.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 513
Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some pertinent web links:

North Rosedale Park Civic Association (NRPCA) or http://www.northrosedalepark.o rg/

The Grandmont Rosedale Development Corporation (GRDC) or http://www.grdc.org/

Waxx
Username: Waxx

Post Number: 242
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/1089189641/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/1090058076/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/1090058734/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/t heblacklightstudio/1089201795/

If there are any inaccuracies in the
description(s) of these images, please let me know and I will correct them ASAP.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1625
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the first picture (1089189641) is of the former Carail museum, my former place of work. Those are new/old-looking streetlights, the old ones came down as the bases under them rusted out. The city would send a crew out with a pickup truck and short trailer. After the crane lowered the old unit a PLD employee would cut them into bite-sized lengths with a cutting torch. All of the lights in that block were replaced with the "modern" type about 2000 when grand river was completely torn up and repaved. THe water mains were (finally) replaced at that time, new sidewalks and light poles.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 517
Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Waxx:
Is there any chance you could take a few comprehensive photographs of the Grandland Shopping Center? I've lived out-of-state for about 20 years now and have heard Grandland has undergone very significant changes.

Thanks for the photographs. Photograph #1090058734 brought back a flood of memories. It shows the location that used to house a rather large NBD branch. That NBD branch was where as a very young teenager I opened my first savings account in 1975. The parking lot was always very full and often overflowed on to Rosemont Avenue. I vividly recall initially being awe struck once inside the branch. Upon entering the front door, the tellers were on the left, the guarded safe was straight ahead, and the other staff were on the right behind desks. Everything was large and seemed so very important. Everyone was very polite and business-like at all times. The stern and imposing Branch Manager knew me and I must admit I was scared of her.

Regarding Photograph #1089201795, where is it located (cross streets)?

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 192
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the pic., and yes that was her home, the fence wasnt there, but that's it.

That was the nicest house she ever had, including the home she moved into after leaving Detroit.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 2203
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did they install those "Grandmont-Rosedale Communities" sign?

Mother_earth
Username: Mother_earth

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray 1936..I live out west in the desert. Scottsdale AZ. Where do you live in the desert. I thought the pictures of the homes on Warwick were beautiful. So happy to see them looking great. I left part of my heart in good old Detroit, Michigan......

Ray1936

Post Number: 2258
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Las Vegas, Mother earth; moved here in 1984, but we get back to MI every summer. Yeah, Rosedale Park is, fortunately, being very well maintained. Does me good every time I go back for a visit.

Was looking at that paragraph above in answer to you....actually, Henderson, not LV.

Jiminnm
Username: Jiminnm

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes, another desert rat (affectionately speaking).

Ray1936

Post Number: 2259
Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2007 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

.....and, Jim, I know every inch of I-40 in NM from Gallup to Tucumcari.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, November 19, 2007 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

after reading the tax list in sundays freep, i should have waited and bought a house in rosedale park.

Slipkid
Username: Slipkid

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, February 13, 2009 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just FYI, there is no "South Rosedale". It is Rosedale Park and North Rosedale. My mom used to correct people about this.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Saturday, February 14, 2009 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct Slipkid. South (Rosedale) was simply a convenient descriptor.

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 213
Posted on Monday, February 16, 2009 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I moved to Texas in 1978 from 16589 Warwick. I only lived there 2 years but my folks stayed longer. I think they sold in 1986. I loved that neighborhood.

Hey 65memories. 4 out of 5 kids went to Coffey and Henry Ford. We used to live at 8 Mile and Southfield. What years did you teach at those schools?

Slipkid
Username: Slipkid

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, March 05, 2009 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Photograph #1090058734: Yea, I can still recall passing by that NBD in the 60's. I remember as a kid asking about the scorched outline of a chimney on it's west side wall. My mom said there used to be a barber shop on that spot...they tore it down for a parking lot. My first bank account was up Grand River to the east at Standard Federal Savings. $12...back then they would let a kid have a small account and be proud of it. Today that account would be charged a fee and be consumed by the bank in 1-2 months....if they even let you open it in the first place!

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button on the Forum Menu at https://www.detroityes.com to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: