Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Defunct Detroit Gas Stations » Defunct Detroit Gas Stations - 1 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I’m doing a photo study of defunct Detroit gas stations. Here’s one of my favorites: http://farm1.static.flickr.com /133/391622493_2bbdae3b2c_b.jp g

Rod
Username: Rod

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the location on that one?. If you drive north on Second from MLK, there are 1-2 interesting buildings. I also recall there being a few older buildings (like the linked one) on Van Dyke, in the city, but I don't know the area well enough to give specifics. There are also two on Van Dyke out in the country-but far from Detroit-still interesting though. They tore down the one at Canfield and Second (about 2 years ago?) that even had the original enameled panels on it.

Milwaukee
Username: Milwaukee

Post Number: 790
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet I really like that Canfield Station. I'm trying to figure out if that is a wood building or a wood frame with stucco on it. Do you know the answer?

Didn't KK pass some legislation saying that new gas stations could only rise from old ones or something like that?

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, February 15, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rod, this defunct gas station is on the 4700 block of Canfield between Elmwood and Galster.I urge anyone with an interest in this subject to photograph these relics as soon as you can. I can think of at least 5 of these buildings torn down in the last year or so. I missed a real stunner by only 3 days! Milwaukee, I think this one is stucco on brick with some wood framing. More views:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /188/391705263_d922150249_b.jp g
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /178/391705265_40f31127c9_b.jp g
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /163/391705266_768409e7af_b.jp g

Bob_cosgrove
Username: Bob_cosgrove

Post Number: 466
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have a photo of it, but Brown Brothers Sunoco that stood on the northeast corner of Vernor and Parker. I bought gas there as well as having my car serviced and repaired from the 1970's into the 1990's before closed. When I was there the one Brown Brother had retired and the business was operated by brother Jack Brown and his son-in-law Tom Evans - who is not the same Tom Evans who now runs Ren-Cen Mechanical on Joseph Campau south of East Jefferson. As Ren-Cen customer for almost 20 years, I can recommend them highly for repairs, but they are not a gas station.

Getting back to Brown brothers, Jack and his brother in the 1930's served the affulent of Indian Village, whose chaffeurs would bring their owner's cars into Brown Brothers, which at that time had wash facilities. One of the car wash helpers was a young Joe Louis, who later would go onto the the Heavy Weight Boxing Chapionof the world.

There are a ton of storeis the late Jack Brown would tell, but they're for another time and thread.

Bob Cosgrove

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 6:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I’m looking forward to reading some of that history, B.c. Too many times these stories are lost forever, much like that of the buildings where they once spent so much of their lives. BTW, do you typically post at 3:10 am?

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6166
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are really interesting architectural buildings.

Here's one in Windsor, does anyone recognize the shape?

http://internationalmetropolis .com/?p=313

Beadgrl
Username: Beadgrl

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love the old Standard stations. Spanish style with terracotta roof tiles. There is one off Perry Street (near Clutch Cargo's)in Pontiac, no longer a gas station but still cool.

Also, if anyone ever gets to Hickory Corners, MI. Go to the Gilmore(sp?) Car Museum. They have a great Sunco station set up there that you can walk through. Check out the cars too! (DUH!)

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 642
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a real cool old one on 9 mile in Hazel Park that is in use by Hilton Industries. You can still see the small 2 pump diagonal foundation near the old front door. There is a neat Keystone on the front of the building which reads G. Oprean 1929. Anyone know what that means?

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Friday, February 16, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this gas station building still standing on Livernois?

OK stn

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1398
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's on that was in the Gratiot St.Aubin area in 1957.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a small collection of those old gas pumps in downtown Utica across Auburn from City Hall.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe that Oaklahoma station is still there , on Livernois corner of Bryden .

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2564
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I believe that Oaklahoma station is still there , on Livernois corner of Bryden .

Bryden intersects Livernois? Where?

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 3838
Posted on Saturday, February 17, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AIW looks like an old Clark Station...

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 4498
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The closest thing to a working gas station with that sort of old school look that I can think of is the Vinsetta Garage on Woodward- just north of 11 Mile in Berkley. While they no longer pump gas, the building looks unchanged for decades.

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 43
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's an old Standard station on McGraw 3-4 blocks west of Warren and the Kronk Gym on the north side of the street across from the Thyssen-Krup plant. Big chain link around it with plywood but it's still there...tiny though.

Mati's Deli in west Dearborn on Monroe between Outer Drive and Michigan Ave. used to be a Shell station with mechanics across the street. The new owners have alot of info+pics on it if your interested

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bryden doesn't intersect Livernois , It runs west of Livernois . I got confused about that cross-street .

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 69
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember Sinclair stations with the dinosaurs?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 595
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Remember Sinclair stations with the dinosaurs?

Sinclair is still around, just not in Michigan anymore.

Here is their corporate history website.

Their dinosaur was nicknamed "Dino" and back in the 1960's they would occasionally offer bars of green bath soap in the shape of a dinosaur as a kid's promotion. I took a lot of baths with "Dino".

Catman_dude
Username: Catman_dude

Post Number: 93
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sinclair only exists in Illinois and Wisconsin in the Great Lakes region.

56packman

Post Number: 1009
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We had a Sinclair station on 7 mile and Patton when I was growing up. Loved that sign. I have t-shirts I purchased from a vendor at the big Hershey antique car swap meet (the world's largest flea market) with the Sinclair logo on them. Whenever I wear them strangers come up and say things like "God, I remember that from when I was a kid!"

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 3657
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that one of the most shameful destructions of a gas station was the station on the west side of Gratiot between 15 & 16 Mile in Clinton Township. It was a Mobil Gas Station.

The white enameled streamline moderne style gas station had the winged horse was on the curved front of the building. The station shape was reminiscent of the Elwood Bar downtown with the taller curved circular corner.

It was left to rot, and was finally razed in the last 6 years or so.

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 596
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mobil Gas Station sign from the 1950's

Mobilgas

Kayo Gas Station (mid-1960's)

Kayo

Both were on Van Dyke Ave. in Center Line

Ookpik
Username: Ookpik

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, February 18, 2007 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok - That was March's and it was a damn shame to just tear it down.

There was an ancient gas station in Warren near the corner of Old Chicago Road and Mound. It had been abandoned for so long, no one really recognized that the building was actually a gas station. Of course, it was torn down a few years ago.

Gistok

Post Number: 3660
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Macomb County hasn't been too keen on historic preservation in the past, although out in Washington there was a long and successful struggle to keep the 1860 Octagon House.

Another bright spot was the citizens of Fraser getting together to put pressure on the city leaders to stop the destruction of the former Fraser State Bank Building at Utica Rd. & 14 Mile, just so a CVS (located 2 blocks away) could move to a better corner. That building is a Depression Deco delight (1930).

But the destruction of the March's Mobil Station (in Clinton Township), still in pretty good condition, was awful.

Magic_mushroom
Username: Magic_mushroom

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This message is for those who posted pictures on this thread (56packman, Psip, and Mikeg). The webmaster of the website Gasoline Signs would like your permission to use the pictures you posted on his website. If you are into gas station history, I highly suggest you check out his website below. Thanks

http://www.gassigns.org/

56packman

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, I took that picture (I'm not sure I should admit that) about 10 years ago, used a 35 point n' shoot out the window of my car. They can use it

Chucktown_motown
Username: Chucktown_motown

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That Canfield one is in Poletown Canfield and Chene?...when was you all down there and why did'nt you holla'

Ookpik

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Magic Mushroom - Cool site!

pic

You can have this photo if you want. Pic is circa 1945. Kalinin Brothers Service Station. Sunoco gas pumps. Address number is 20295. Been trying to identify where this station is/was located for over 3 years - No luck.

Ookpik

(Message edited by ookpik on February 19, 2007)

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4855
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba grew up with Pure Stations in Detroit and sonofabitch, he just saw some Pure Stations in Louisiana just last week. Amazing.

jjaba, Westsider.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is an early Sinclair station, somewhere around Detroit. I forgot where I found it online, just that I'd find a place to post it in some thread.

Early Sinclair station

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 125
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great thread. I remember Carey's Hi-Arc on 7 Mile not too far west of Gratiot.
Also, the old Vogue Service; it was a little Texaco tucked away behind the Shell station at Harper & Cadieux. It was on Harper and Harvard. It's a tire store now. A friend of mine worked there for a long time.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3055
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ookpik, Kalinin Brothers, 20295 JohnR.

Rod
Username: Rod

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, this one is not in Detroit, but in Flint. My Buddy's Grandfather owned several service stations in Flint. He was the "Vic" in the "Scotty and Vic's". My guess is this picture was taken in the late 40's. The tires look about that era, the car at far right (1/2 you can see) looks like maybe the rear of a '48 Oldsmobile. He also owned a Sinclair station in Flint, probably in the late '50's. My friend still has one of the original Sinclair glass domes from the pumps. We found these pictures while cleaning out the house his grandma/grandpa owned, after she died in 2002. I also remember one other thing we found: His last name is now "Holove", but we found hand written "calling cards" from when his grandpa graduated highschool in 1931, they said "Victor Holovchenko". He was Russian, and obviously there came a time when he no longer wanted to be identified as Russian. I also read recently about Sinclair being involved in "The Teapot Dome Scandal", sort of a Watergate for Warren Harding, and one of the many reasons for the beginning of the Depression. Sorry if this of off track, but I thought it was interesting.
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p162/rpcpurpose/Gasstation.jpg

(Message edited by rod on February 19, 2007)

Ookpik

Post Number: 56
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mike!! :-) Is that a Highland Park address?

Mikem

Post Number: 3057
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the number, I would guess it's close to Eight Mile (Detroit).

Mikem

Post Number: 3058
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Between Winchester and Remington, 1½ blocks south of 8.

56packman

Post Number: 1016
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This gas station/car wash/service garage was at W. Fort and West Grand boulevard

all gone now

Ookpik

Post Number: 57
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pic

Gulf gas station circa 1968. Metro Detroit area - exact location unknown.

Gistok

Post Number: 3665
Posted on Monday, February 19, 2007 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ordinary, I too remember that little service station at Harper & Harvard. It was an auto repair place for many years. Your friend who worked there wouldn't happen to be the one who ran the repair shop, by the name of Dave Smith, would he??

Ordinary

Post Number: 127
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,
Yeah, that was ol' Smitty! He went to work over at Jim's Collision on Whittier and now he's over at the main one on Harper.
I miss the old Vogue Service. It was like the east side men's club. There was always somebody there having a beer and shootin' the shit.

Aarne_frobom
Username: Aarne_frobom

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not surprised someone beat me to mention of March's Mobil station between 15 and 16 Mile on Gratiot. I grew up in the 1957 subdivision west of that stretch of Gratiot. Kids would walk or bike to the tiny matching grocery store for penny candy. Local pronunciation of the name was Marshes. But my dad always took the straight-8 Buick to Bowerman's Shell at 15 and Groesbeck for oil changes. The Mobilgas station was real time-machine piece as late as the 1980's, but the last time I was by, it had been stripped of its porcelain sheathing before demolition.

Ordinary

Post Number: 128
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A few years back,my sister in Chicago sent me a calendar with pictures of gas stations from around the country for each month. March's Mobil was in there.

Gistok

Post Number: 3674
Posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ordinary, although Dave Smith is closer to my age, my late father used to hang out over there "shootin' the shit".

My mother used to bake him stuff, and has followed him (to wherever he's working) whenever she needs auto work.

Another favorite place to hang out for my late father was Lasko's Collision (over at Harper near Nottingham). George Lasko has repaired auto accident damage for everyone in the family for the last 30 years

Mikem

Post Number: 3064
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Standard Oil, 3905 Lakeview, corner of Mack Ave

3905 Lakeview

Rennie Bros Filling Station, 10150 Mack, corner of Hurlburt

10150 Mack

Mikem

Post Number: 3065
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wilson Oil, 18063 Van Dyke, corner of Emily

18063 Van Dyke

Sinclair, 5903 DuBois, corner of Meldrum

5903 DuBois

Raymond Martin Filling Station, 14636 Charlevoix, corner of Manistique

14636 Charlevoix

Emil Buelow Filling Station, 6621 Kercheval, corner of Bellvue

6621 Kercheval

The city is littered with them:

Ookpik

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

p

Bobo's Service
Gas - Oil

Pickup pulling in from the right reads:

Frank Stau___
Lawn & Garden Service
Maintenance
TW-1-2247 18045 St. L___

Larger view:

http://www.geocities.com/detpix/gs2a.jpg

Photo is circa 1943.

Ookpik

Mikem

Post Number: 3066
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Frank Staub was living at 18045 St Louis and in 1940 was a factory worker.

The TWinbrook-1 (and TWinbrook-2) exchange first went into service December 27, 1941.

Got nothing from the era on Bobo's Shell.

Ookpik

Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mike! :-)

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 6174
Posted on Wednesday, February 21, 2007 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's one... Sorry for the poor scan...

The sign on the back side reads "Garden City Inn"

Although the article calls the location "Detroit".

mystery

Ordinary

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikem, Great pics. Where were the last ones located?

Ordinary

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 8:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,
A lot of people used to follow Smitty around. My late father used to hang out at Smitty's too.
Is Lasko's still open? I know he had a couple of sons working there for a while.

Mikem

Post Number: 3071
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ordinary, I can't remember. Of the last three, the first and last are somewhere on one of the eastside arteries; Mack, Forest, Charlevoix, etc. The middle one might be on Michigan or Grand River.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2614
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anybody locate that Oklahoma station yet?

Mikem

Post Number: 3075
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oklahoma was at 8720 Livernois, corner of Military. Looks like it's gone:

8720 Livernois

Mikem

Post Number: 3076
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

5600 Wesson, corner of McGraw, Clifford Cunliffe Filling Station

5600 Wesson

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2618
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There still might be one on the south side of Michigan around Lonyo. It was converted into a produce store (and then was vacant for years) and recently reconverted into a small convenience store. I believe it's now out of business again, but it may still be open.

Ordinary

Post Number: 132
Posted on Thursday, February 22, 2007 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to try and post a few photos.

I was also looking for an old-style station at the corner of W. Warren & Central but couldn't find it. I think it got torn down. Anybody have any info/history on that one?

Calumet & Vermont

Epworth & W. Warren

Ordinary

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man it took me a long time to post these photos. I've got a decent camera. The first station was at Calumet & Vermont off of Grand River. It's really beat.
The other one was at W. Warren & Epworth.
They are probably both architecturally insignificant. Mikem, how do you post such nice photos with text. Is the old school or the new school method better?

Mikem

Post Number: 3084
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dunno...must be the magic of Photoshop.

First one was Harold Vardon's Sinclair Filling Station, 4261 Grand River, corner of Calumet/Vermont.

The second was a High Speed Station, 5900 W Warren @ Epworth.

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 126
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Warren and Gratiot dont know if its been shown..
http://i141.photobucket.com/al bums/r50/fareastsider/Detroit2 02.jpg

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1773
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ordinary

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider, Nice picture. I know I've seen that one a few times. Are you sure it's not on Forest right by Gratiot?

Hornwrecker, how old is that map/brochure?

Mikem, when did that Harold Vardon's close? Do you have any pictures of it when it was open?

Fareastsider

Post Number: 130
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forest Warren I get them mixed up sometimes

Bohemianrobot
Username: Bohemianrobot

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, February 23, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure you all know about this one at Brush/Watson, but here it is anyway...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com /125/317396422_fa6caeb52d_b.jp g

Mikem

Post Number: 3086
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 10:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was the Snowden Williams Filling Station at 3100 Brush.

The one on Forest near Gratiot was the Forest-Concord Service Station.

I wish I could help more with the brands these stations sold, but when I find the stations by address, my directory just gives the owners' names and not the brand. If I look up brand names, some companies list all of their stations, others just give the corporate office address. High Speed list all their locations, but not the owners. Also, High Speed was sold locally by both the Highland Oil Company and the Wilson Oil Company, each owning about two-dozen stations around town. Shell lists all of their stations in older directories, but not in more recent directories. Gulf doesn't list any, etc.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 4884
Posted on Saturday, February 24, 2007 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeM, jjaba traded for yrs. at the Pure Station on W. Davison. It was supplanted by I-96 when it pushed through our neighborhood, erasing the southside of W. Davison.

Standard Oil had the station at Schoolcraft and Wyoming if memory serves jjaba.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1778
Posted on Sunday, February 25, 2007 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ordinary, I have no idea about the date, as I found it online. I'm guessing late 30s-40s.

Here's a map cover from 1964, the scanner is acting funny, so the quality isn't too great.

Pure Oil Detroit map cover 1964

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, February 26, 2007 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are a couple more
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /175/404165170_464188064c_b.jp g
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /156/404165171_69900f447b_b.jp g

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and a few more:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /168/406363622_5b438fbe0f_b.jp g
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /167/406363612_8570276222_b.jp g
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /186/406363609_612521f74d_b.jp g
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /140/406363616_96beee8ddd_b.jp g
Mikem, we seem to travel in the same circles...

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And another one:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /139/407348273_18c2987dd1_b.jp g
Bonus! Land yacht in background.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 28
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That last one looks like a fixer upper...thanks for the photo's this is very nice of you to take the time.

Ordinary

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pictures Bulletmagnet.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 66
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gibran and Ordinary. Check out "Detroit Quick Pics"

Psip

Post Number: 1485
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sunoco must be very proud of that store.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 73
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got some more:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /168/408299313_23116cc313_b.jp g
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /155/408255260_6512898c4b_b.jp g
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /170/408255258_113588a414_b.jp g
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /162/408255256_6512898c4b_b.jp g
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /130/408249283_97a7c655ff_b.jp g
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /168/408249281_1f62f8c147_b.jp g
http://farm1.static.flickr.com /167/408245053_26075db716_b.jp g
There is one reoccurring thing that turns up in a lot of photos of Detroit buildings; do you know what it is? Please post your answer with an example of your own. Want a clue? It’s not hard to…

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 2674
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you want another empty, vacant lot to shoot, try Van Dyke at I-94 across the street from the high school. I'll bet it's still vacant...

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 42
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's one of the latter Older Gas Stations to close. I remember when it was still open and doing well doing the Mid 90s same thing with the Amoco on the other side. Besides, I wouldn't call it defunct, but definently had a retro look as they were chain Gas Stations (Amoco and Sunoco).

Michmeister
Username: Michmeister

Post Number: 123
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I`d like to know how many tanks are under the earth leaking that good stuff into the ground water. Ah, yes the costs, the costs.......

Urbanize

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two defunct Gas Station chains that haven't been mentioned though are Total and 76. Anyone have older pictures of these gast stations?

The 76's unfortunatly were brought out by British Petro and the Totals were brought out by Marathon.

(Message edited by Urbanize on March 03, 2007)

Gtat44
Username: Gtat44

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if that Gulf station from 1968 is located in city airport area? Kind of looks like that area. My brother runs a shop on Kercheval and Beaconsfield, that was and old Standard station. You can still see the old sign in stone at the top. Any old pictures of it anyone?

Urbanize

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I wonder if that Gulf station from 1968 is located in city airport area? Kind of looks like that area. My brother runs a shop on Kercheval and Beaconsfield, that was and old Standard station. You can still see the old sign in stone at the top. Any old pictures of it anyone?"

If I had to take a gander, that is where the BP Gas Station is on 6 Mile and Gratiot is now. Anyway, no I haven't seen the engraving. Have to check it out one day.

Whoopsy, meant Conner, not Gratiot.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1602
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And even another defunct gas station chain was the old Cities Service Gas. I can't recall where they were in Detroit but WJR radio used to have a house band which I think was called Paul Lavoy and his Cities Service band.
I do recall a small Cities Service station out in in Oakland County way back when, and it was on the South Side of Maple West of Orchard Lake road. It was an old stone structure. It seems to me their signs were green and white. I may be stretching it , but I am going back to the late 40's.

Ordinary

Post Number: 148
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember my Father-in-law telling me about a Cities Service up in Boyne Falls where he grew up. I remember because he said the kid who worked there had trouble saying 's' and it would always sound like 'sh'.

Psip

Post Number: 1498
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something like this?

http://www.gas-on-line.it/var/ shop/storage/images/media/imag es/cities_service__1/1880-1-it a-IT/cities_service.jpg

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 724
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Two defunct Gas Station chains that haven't been mentioned though are Total and 76. Anyone have older pictures of these gast stations?"

Any one remember the '76 Balls that people would put on top of their car antennae?

The_rock

Post Number: 1604
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then there was Martin Gas, one South of the Blvd and another out in Ferndale. I recall gas there cost you 17.5 cents a gallon in '60. Oak Gas, owned by Sam Levi,was a Royal Oak concern that sold it for the same price as did Giant --first of the price wars?
And there was a dealer out at Conner and McNichols who advertised 12 gallons for a buck after WWII. That's as far back as I can go. I just paid $2.55 this afternoon.

Ordinary

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shitty Shervish!

Ordinary

Post Number: 154
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock,
Wasn't it called Purple Martin? Wasn't their slogan, "So famous they named a bird after it". Or am I hallucinating again?

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 780
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Union 76 still exists out west as a unit of ConocoPhillips, which has recently started rebranding the stations without the 76 "ball". This has created something of a backlash, to the point that there is a group trying to push ConocoPhillips to:
www.savethe76ball.com

Ookpik

Post Number: 100
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have one of those '76 balls on my car antenna right now. They made a repro a few years back.

56packman

Post Number: 1078
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a Purple-Martin station in Dearborn, on the north side of Michigan, west of Military IIRC, and one on Michigan in Detroit, at or near Wyoming on the south side of the street, where the big gas station/Subway/party store sits today.

Urbanize

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no '76 gas stations in Michigan though. All the ones here are owned (used to be anyway) by BPAmoco.

Urbanize

Post Number: 70
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tink the last one (without a ball) to go away in Metro Detroit was the location on 7 Mile and Woodward. I used to love t go for car rides and ride pass the '76 in our neighborhood on 7 Mile next to Vegas Food Center.

The_rock

Post Number: 1610
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes. I think Martin had a "purple grade" which might have been their idea of "ethyl". I don't recall the jingle. I was more a Giant fan than a Martin fan for our '60 Rambler.
And don't forget-- "Speedway's going steady with Ethyl".

56packman

Post Number: 1082
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

insert "pumping Ethyl" joke here_________________
Have to explain this one to the kids

Soomka1
Username: Soomka1

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is an old gas station fenced off on the corner of Helen and Grand Blvd. It is the building with the red "X" in the picture. This is right after Grand Blvd. turns left after coming up from E. Jefferson. It is across the street from what used to be Arrow Uniform Rental's processing plant (lower right in picture). I was inside this building in the 90's and it was in pretty good shape.

Ordinary

Post Number: 155
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum Soomka1

Urbanize

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you talking about that one a Kercheval. It's also one on 6 Mile and (trying to remember that street) where the Car Wash is at and Dresden meets.

Fareastsider

Post Number: 204
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is one very forlorn looking one at Mcgraw and Wabash....Who says that urban praries aren't on the west side! Anyways here is a pic and a quick vid I made of this once busy area. I can only imagine what this place was like in Detroits prime....now I got to go to the old aerial photos.....
http://i141.photobucket.com/al bums/r50/fareastsider/Detroit/ RENCENtop001.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/al bums/r50/fareastsider/Detroit/ RENCENtop002.jpg
video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =UhMdy5i5K3c

Psip

Post Number: 1522
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kudos Fareastsider, you actually got out of your car! It was not a 60MPH drive by. :-)

Ordinary

Post Number: 156
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider,
Excellent photos. Does anyone from the east side remember a gas station over by I-94 and Moross on a little street named Alstead? I could have sworn there was a little gas station there and it was torn down and a house was built there. I think this would have been in the early 70s? It would have been the first lot on the east side of Alstead just south of Moross. Nobody I talk to remembers it and I wonder if I'm dreaming.
Did I spell Moross correctly?

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 564
Posted on Tuesday, June 05, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey! Looks like we made a 2nd page! Thanks all. Meanwhile, here is a Station from the past:
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/FH0000 15.jpg?t=1181096802
I think this is up on Hayes somewhere. The sign over the door reads 'WINDSOR SERVICE'. Anyone?

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 578
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do believe I found the above station ^ on Hayes and Seymour:
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/Wednsd ayJune062007208.jpg?t=11811772 07

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 579
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is one from the past on the water. I think this is up in the Anchor Bay area:
http://i148.photobucket.com/al bums/s22/bulletmagnet69/FH0000 19.jpg?t=1181177477