Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » ::: Detroit Schools Mega Thread ::: » East side Detroit Catholic school history » East side Detroit Catholic school history - 1 « Previous Next »
Archive through March 01, 2007Taj92065 03-01-07  8:44 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Taj. I must've had Brendan's on my brain when I was thinking about GA. I made the appropriate correction.

Gibran - You are very welcome. I will try to post some shots of the other schools you mentioned if interested.

I was unaware of GA having a high school either, and I can't find anyone who went there, but I received a list from the diocese last spring that stated a Guardian Angels High School located in Detroit closed in June, 1976. I made the assumption that it was this parish.

(Message edited by maxcarey on March 01, 2007)

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, March 01, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a suburban GA and I believe in Warren...they may have had a high school...I graduated 8th grade in 1973. I have been away from home for along time and I often wonder when I hear about a church closing how many people at one time made the faith strong in those parishes...just the communities, poles, Italians, Germans and others were so much a part of the history of Detroit and our country. I also wonder how the social fabric was woven when these were immigrant communities...it would be interesting to view their history.

Maxcarey

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 5:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a Guardian Angels grade school in Clawson, perhaps the diocese made an error and they had a HS back in the 1970s?

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 64
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 9:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, there was no Guardian Angels High School in Clawson, but thanks once again for all the pictures. As for the Servite High School-the Servites were the priests who ran the school until it closed in l987 or thereabouts. I dont know if it was ever officially called "St. John Berchmans High School."

(Message edited by swiburn on March 02, 2007)

Ron_saad
Username: Ron_saad

Post Number: 72
Posted on Friday, March 02, 2007 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes St. Maron's and St. Sharbel's is a Maronite Catholic Church. They have the Same Pope. Part of or all of the Mass is said in Arabic. My Brother is a Chor Bishop for the Maronite Catholic Church and they also cannot be married.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2017
Posted on Saturday, March 03, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since there was some talk of St. Ignatius, I wanted to be sure that any St. Ignatius grads are aware of this reunion being held on March 10.

Although the newspaper listing says Detroit St. Ignatius: Classes of 1969-72, I understand that is open to all classes.

For more information, email: ignatiusreunion@juno.com.

Ebon
Username: Ebon

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My 3 brothers and I attended St. Anthony's in the late 40's and experienced no predatory priests nor sadistic SSND nuns. High expectations and discipline were the name of the game. Nothing wrong with that!!

Maxcarey

Post Number: 54
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please correct me, St. Anthony's became East Catholic High School in the late 1960s, right?

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 180
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a Catholic Church called "Our Lady of Sorrows" located on Power road in Farmington Michigan. Did this city church possibly move in the 60's? During the 1960's Farmington was a bleeding edge suburb.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3152
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is that the same Our Lady of Sorrows that was burned out by the Briggs fire on Meldrum Avenue?

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 192
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Farmington parish and Detroit parish named Sorrows are separate. The Detroit parish lasted until around 2000, when it merged with Annunciation.

As for East Catholic, I think it was initially located at another closed high school (St. Catherine's maybe), and then moved to St. Anthony when that school closed.

Maxcarey

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MikeM

Any more pictures of that fire that you are able to share?

Taj - You are spot on, Sorrows closed in 2000. I recently drove around the Meldrum/Mt. Elliot area and checked on Sorrows. It appears that a building with a 1966 cornerstone is still there, it appeared that a funeral was taking place when I went by. Couldn't figure out if that was the new church or what denomination is using it now.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 3155
Posted on Monday, March 05, 2007 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Max: Virtual Motor City

Swiburn

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

East Catholic was a combination of the closed Sts. Elizabeth, Rose, Catherine, all the lower east side Catholic high schools that closed around l970.
yes, Guardian Angels H.S. in Detroit closed in l976. The original elementary there closed around l986.
Also, what happened to the "Freedom Mural" that decorated the front of St. Bernard Church? It was painted in l969.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A faculty photo from my St. Bart's Yearbook

Strict, those nuns!

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mom was a 1951 graduate of St. Catherine's. She attended her 50th reunion in 2001. It was combined with several classes. I remember my Mom being quite surprised at how many people attended.

Heh...you don't run into too many people named Florence these days.

Maxcarey

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Third one from the left was my fourth grade teacher.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, March 07, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were reminding you to let the hems down on your skirts.

Maxcarey

Post Number: 57
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where was St. Catherine's located?

Lafayette
Username: Lafayette

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Charles was built in the late 1800's to pick up the overflowing Belgian population at the time that the Cadieux area wasn't able to handle anymore. The E. Grand Blvd/Kercheval area a hundred years ago had a huge Belgian population, relative to Detroit's size that is.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 41
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ccheski-

You do know that the St. Louis The King Church standing now facing 7 Mile was not the original church. The building around the corner right behind the present church and facing St. Louis was the original church. I spent many a day standing in line for confession and having to go to the bathroom from fear in that building. May processions....I used to stage my own at home.

Taj920
Username: Taj920

Post Number: 197
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Catherines is at Seminole and Sylvester, east of Van Dyke and south of Forest.

Maxcarey

Post Number: 58
Posted on Thursday, March 08, 2007 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

An update on the Phillip Neri site. The church is still indeed there, the schools are gone.

Thanks Taj for the update on St. Catherines.

Swiburn

Post Number: 70
Posted on Friday, March 09, 2007 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maxcarey,
Thanks for the information, and please post more pictures, especially of the closed St. Monica and any other west side churches. The west side seems to have fared better in the closure department-perhaps because it didn't have as many factories and the surrounding houses that were abandoned when the jobs left?

Maxcarey

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't have as many homemade pictures of the westside, but I am working on those. For now, here is a picture from St. Monica's (which from my understanding the whole complex is still standing) from Roman's book.

Maxcarey

Post Number: 60
Posted on Saturday, March 10, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lafayette -

Thanks for posting and adding to this discussion. You mentioned the overflow that led to the creation of St. Charles Parish. What parish was filled in that led to St. Charles? Annunciation? St. Edwards?

Swiburn

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maxcarey, That would be Our Lady of Sorrows overflow that led to the creation of St. Charles. The Flemish didn't want to trudge so far through the snow, so they petitioned the bishop for a closer by church

Ccheski
Username: Ccheski

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello, Larryinflorida --

Sorry I missed your post way back at the end of February.

No, I didn't know an April Wilk. Maybe we lived there at different times. My parents first moved to Dwyer and Lantz in 1949 when almost all the houses were brand new. I was born in 1956 and we sold the house in 1981 when my mother could no longer care for it by herself.

Ccheski
Username: Ccheski

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, March 12, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ladyinabag --

Yes, I know about the current St. Louis the King being the third church. My parents were married in the one in the school basement in 1948, and I vaguely recall attending Mass in the second church that became the activities building when the current church was built. I started first grade at St. Louis School in 1961.

I remember the May Processions in the parking lot that faces 7 Mile. It was always freezing cold and we had to wear little gauzy pink dresses and lightweight sweaters. Some 8th grade girl always got to climb the ladder and crown the statue. By the time I got to 8th grade, I think the procession was a thing of the past.

Hammergal
Username: Hammergal

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, November 11, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Our Lady of Sorrows- The complete fire story, all photos ( 8 x 10 glossys)r, the painting done of the fire, and all kinds of church history is viewable at the Leon Buyse Memorial library. 13 mile in the american house basement. Also chimes for 1951 thru 1954. Plus church history on almost every church mentioned in this thread. Also missionery data back to 1774.

My33
Username: My33

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, December 03, 2007 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In regards to the location of St Edwards Church & School. It was located at Charlevoix & Craine, I attended that school from 1939 to 1943, made my first communion there. The nuns were nasty then also, maybe even more so. Back then if you caused a disturbance in the class, the nun would either whack you with the blackboard pointer or pull your hair upward at the back of you neck, or just slap you. It was a just a matter of how they felt at the time. When we moved to Fairmount & Alcoy in the northeast part of Detroit in 1943, I went to my first public shool. It was Gabriel Richard and I felt like I got let out of jail.

Pats
Username: Pats

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 10:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohmygosh Larryinflorida, that photo takes me back - too far. St Brendan's - Sister Ann Catherine, Sister Mary Carmen, Miss Joyce (who always dressed in plain black and white as if she were in the convent),Mr. Potvin, Mr. Chopp (Ugh) and Mr. Gunst- who was in his first year of teaching when I was there and when I went back years later I found out he had become principal of what was left of the school.

I always figured the discomfort those stiff habits caused the nuns might have been part of the reason they were so strict with little kids.

They did relent a bit when the World Series was on though ;-)