Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » What was your favorite Detroit tour as a kid? « Previous Next »
Archive through June 27, 2007Dtctygrl30 06-27-07  9:19 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Bushay
Username: Bushay

Post Number: 59
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonder Bread plant for sure.
My dad was in Management there and a couple times thru elementary school he organized the tour for our class. Got to show everyone my dad's office and I always thought I was the shit for a day. I actually ran around that plant quite a bit as a kid. Never forget the smell of the fresh bread and the little loaf of bread they gave us at the end of the tour. In fact, those little loafs of bread are what my house gave out for Halloween every year growing up. Kids would be back 8 and 9 times loading up as our house was also the most frequented that night. When they stopped making the loafs of bread it was twinkies and cupcakes we gave out. Those were the days....

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bushay - my grandpa was in Management there as well! When was your dad working there? I wonder if they knew each other. Grandpa passed a few years ago, but he retired from the bakery. I loved that place!

~Liza

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5537
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This might sound mundane comparatively but did anyone else here ever take tours of their local firehouse? I vaguely recollect taking a tour of a firehouse somewhere on Grand River. I was REALLY young and just remember it was an old school firehouse and had big yellow double doors. I went with a friend's parents and they somehow knew a firefighter there or something. It wasn't an official tour but I remember seeing that big fire engine with all of its shiny chrome & brass parts, the fire fighting equipment on the walls, the tiny kitchen and quarters, and all of the things that those guys had at their disposal.

There will always be something for little boys and admiration of firefighters I guess.

Bushay

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lizaanne,
My dad passed away in 99' at age 81 so I'm guessing if he worked till 62 he would have retired there around the late 70's. He was an account executive for the Farmer Jacks account for probably 2/3's of his time there. Since Wonder bread at that time made the private label bread for FJ's he basically ran Farmer Jacks bread dept as well. He started out a breadman like myself and worked his way up but I have no idea when he started there. What was your grandfathers name if you dont mind me asking? I knew a lot of the old timers myself over there and in the industry as a whole. My fathers name was Paul Marks.

(Message edited by Bushay on June 27, 2007)

Ragtoplover59
Username: Ragtoplover59

Post Number: 105
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the tours listed above were great, Two more come to mind that haven't been listed yet.

During the early years of elementary school, we traded schools with some other school for a day. I do not remember the name of the school we went to, or where it was? But I do recall a large Lunch Room ( We had no lunchroom at Beard). Also that school had a living display of Farm Animals for us to see.
That's a good trade off isn't it, City kids go see Farm animals and Suburban kids come see a Freeway?

The second tour I enjoyed was during Police Week.
The Police Station at Fort & Green had free food, And a tour of the Jail (although we never got to see any "Hardened Criminals" in there?). And a ride in a police car up and down the service drive to Springwells.

Swede1934
Username: Swede1934

Post Number: 24
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned BobLo. I can remember riding the Woodward streetcar all the way down the hill to the docks, and then boarding the boat. I can remember standing by the engine watching that big machine power the boat down the river. And then the fun and games of the rides on the island.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5392
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When's Bushay going to take jjaba's Far Westside tour de force? Is Bushay Tip Top, Silvercup, Orowheat, Sunbeam, or Wonder Bread? He's gearing up for 4th of July buns runs.

jjaba, Westsider.

Dtctygrl
Username: Dtctygrl

Post Number: 16
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob-Lo was a yearly outing for Wolverine Tube's company picnic. Dad usually liked to take the ferry from Amhurstburg rather that the Bob-Lo boat. :-(

Bushay

Post Number: 61
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I usually dont venture that far west past Woodward anymore without some sort of bodyguard these days Jjaba. But I bet if you started some BBQ around Livernois that was anything close to Hickory smoked I'd forget all about the bodyguard and follow that smoke trail right to where the tour begins. :-)
"Is Bushay Tip Top, Silvercup, Orowheat, Sunbeam, or Wonder Bread?
I thought we've been over this before? The old man was a Wonder bread guy and I started at Taystee before the high cost of labor and todays technology closed that shop off of Martin rd. and McGraw. What a shame. Sara Lee bought out Taystee Bread oh..4-5 years ago and are slowly eliminating that name from the tri-county area. Too bad...that Butter top wheat and white bread was the best loaf of bread in this town before the bakery closed.

" He's gearing up for 4th of July buns runs"

I'm out of commision for a spell Jjaba. Got a couple blood clots in my lungs last week so I'm taking this holiday off slinging buns from the back of my truck. Should be back in action in a month.
How's that West coast version of flour,yeast and water going down out there?
BTW, I took your advice and passed up that business opportunity we discussed earlier. I appreciated the help.

Goblue
Username: Goblue

Post Number: 97
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob-Lo every summer, the Historical Museum with the cobblestone street and the DIA...as a ten year old I was fascinated by the Diego Rivera murals and the suits of armor...looking forward to a fall trip to Mexico City where there are dozens of Rivera murals.

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 91
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Bushay - My grampa was 84 when he died in 2002, so they may have been there around the same time. He was a Comptroller, in payroll. He retired in 1981. Prior to that he worked at Mills Bakery on 4th in Detroit (now a parking lot for Wayne State). He was at Mills from the time he was about 19 till he went to Wonder. At Mills he was the Office Manager. His name was Howard Odor.

~Liza

Ditman
Username: Ditman

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi everyone. I also remember the bakery tour & getting a mini-loaf at the end. Also the Velvet P B plant. These were cub scout tours. I also remember going to one of the tv studios & seeing a local show w Joe Gentile & Ralph Bingy(anyone remember those names?) I think Joe was the P A voice for the Detroit Lions This wasnt strictly a tour but as an elementary school(Edgar A Guest) safety patrol boy we got to go a Tigers game(Briggs Stadium then) once a year. Also the Detroit Childrens Museum was a great trip.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4697
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Gingellgirl, you certainly did dig up an old memory with the WWJ Studio tours. I remember them in the 60's, and as a kid it was awesome to hobnob with some of the celebrities of the time.

Also remember the Streets of Old Detroit at the Historical Museum... what an awesome place to go as a kid. It was like going back in time.

Welcome all the new folks, and Bellbel777 (whom I know personally)... I think I would be too claustrophobic to go down into the salt mines... especially knowing that there were 1250 feet of earth above you... Yikes!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5547
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah yes, the Children's Museum there on Kirby! I don' trecall much of what happened INSIDE the actual museum, but I do remember our entire third grade class wanting to climb up on that chrome bumper horse-- and the name of that valiant steed escapes me at the moment! HELP!

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 13
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to Strohs beer(not as a kid) Detroit News or Free Press, the one had a tunnel to another building a tv show set or something. Did some kind of train ride with a class but don't remember. Cadillac Fleetwood tour(worked there later as an adult)

Little_buddy
Username: Little_buddy

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went to Strohs beer(not as a kid) Detroit News or Free Press, the one had a tunnel to another building a tv show set or something. Did some kind of train ride with a class but don't remember much about it. Cadillac Fleetwood tour(worked there later as an adult)

Goblue

Post Number: 116
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad was a security guard at Stroh's in the early '60's...when he worked the afternoon shift I'd pick him up from work...always made sure to get there early so that I could wait for him in the company's private pub and enjoy a draft...it was a reoccurring tour.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1592
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Belle Isle Aquarium was my favorite tour. The Zoo was another, but I only remember it vaguely. I'm still saddened that the Aquarium is history. And, yeah, Stroh's in my later life was a fun stop. I still have a set of pilsner glasses with the Stroh's logo on them from many years ago.

Goblue

Post Number: 119
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray: My dad was DPD...he worked out of the 15th...likely before your time...he retired in 1950...died in '84...pulled that pension for a good long time...worked as a guard at Stroh's at the end of his career.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stroh's always hired retired DPD officers for security. That 34 years of retirement sounds pretty darn good! I'm in year 23 of retirement and plan on beating your dad's record. :-)

Yeah, when he retired I was just starting high school.

Goblue

Post Number: 120
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ray: I'm pulling for you to top that 34 years...and I'm willing to bet that badge #1052 is also...he went on in 1924 when he was 20...just out of the army after enlisting at 16...was a kid in W.Va...orphaned...used his pension to put my sister and me through college...I will be grateful for the rest of my life.

Karenk
Username: Karenk

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 1:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jman, sorry I didn't get back to you. My Dad wasn't Frenchie, but it sure sounds familiar to me!

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 192
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 8:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are the REN CEN tours or Ford Field Tours any good??

J32885
Username: J32885

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite Detroit tour from years past was my first trip to Tiger Stadium and this was with my old grade school.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 125
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I toured the downtown bars with my Dad in the 1960's while my mom and sister shopped at Hudson's and Crowley's. I remember the Checker and the Lobby bar at the Book Caddy. I say this half-kidding because Dad would just have one or two beers (hated shopping) but it was pretty cool as a ten year old because back then in Ontario kids were not allowed in bars unless there was a meal served.

Frankg
Username: Frankg

Post Number: 47
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better Made potato chip factory on Gratiot.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 1459
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Christmas tours:

Hudson's at Christmas as well as the historical society...and ART museum.... 3mile drive and walkiing home at night to see my Dad's Christmas lights shining on the new fallen snow..entering the house and smelling all the Christmas Baking...and of course the tree.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 3192
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good one Gibran - Hudson's was the best

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 294
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Historical Museum - the cobblestone streets and the old street posts.

Then I remember when the "Spirit of Detroit" was put in place. Our class got to downtown to see it. I think that was on the same day we got to go to the Ford Auditorium to listen to the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. They always played the "William Tell Overture" so we would relate to them. We did that several times while I was in grade school.

Everyone talks about going to the Wonder Bread Factory. We never got to do that. Wonder why? No pun intended!

Oh and one more - we would walk from A.L. Holmes Elementary School to the Mark Twain Library on Gratiot as a field trip. I loved going in that library. It was so beautiful inside and out. And loaded with all those interesting looking books. That instilled a life long love of reading in me.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 7179
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Mum and Dad packing us up in the car and just driving around to look at the houses decorated with lights at Christmas.

Last December, while visiting my sister and her family in Naples, FL, we revived that tradition with her grandchildren, just driving around aimlessly, looking at the lights on houses after dark.

The kids kept oohing and ahing and reminded me of that much simpler time of life.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 78
Posted on Wednesday, December 05, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Zoo in the early 60's.
The Chimpanzee show with the minibikes and ponies was pretty cool for the kids then.
Now, they seem so bored in their wild setting. Can't they toss a couple of electric minibikes in there?

1st_sgt
Username: 1st_sgt

Post Number: 127
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Zoo, Detroit Historical museum, Art museum, Green Field Village, The Ford Rotunda, The Fox to watch 2001 Space odyssey and again at the Fox for a concert, I think it was Bach. I think we went to Hudson’s (or somewhere)for a kids Christmas purchase day.
I remember getting permission slips signed all the time.
Sometimes it wasn’t for fun things but to get shots and vaccinations.

Dhugger
Username: Dhugger

Post Number: 281
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolute best = going through the entire Seven Sisters electrical plant with my dad. He ran the plant in the 60's. It was loud and over whelming so he carried me on his shoulders. Dad just died in the fall of 2006. Remembering this childhood event just brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for prompting this moment.

Strohs > godfather worked there and he got to drink as much Stohs as he wanted even on the job. This practice did not bode well for him. Do the math on that one.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 268
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We took trips to the old Children's Museum on Kirby and a couple of children's plays at the DIA theatre....ho hum.

The trips to Greenfield Village, the local neighborhood fire station, old Fort Wayne, and the DSO performances (Peter and The Wolf was da bomb)at Ford Auditorium were cool.

Edziu
Username: Edziu

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, December 06, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vernor's plant on Woodward.

Elimarr
Username: Elimarr

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, December 07, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My elementary school class went on a Sander's tour. I can't remember where it was located. At the end we all got a tiny white sampler box of chocolates.
Also (like Jams posted) driving around with family, "touring" the Christmas-lit houses.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 5692
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Elimarr, Sander's Bakery is on Oakman Blvd. in Highland Park.

jjaba liked bobzilla's downtown tour of Coney Islands and the Preservation Wayne's downtown sculpture tour also.

jjaba's father's envelope factory on the corner of DuBois and E. Grand Blvd. was always a family highlight.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Davidstas
Username: Davidstas

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Factory Tour: Better Made Chips on Woodward! I still remember watching thousands of potato chips going down the conveyor belt. Buying a 5 pound can of chips at the end of the tour topped it off.

Swede1934
Username: Swede1934

Post Number: 35
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know whether to put this comment here or in the Christmas one. Anyway, I lived in Sherwood Forest and at this time of year it was fun to drive through both Sherwood Forest and Palmer Woods to see all the decorations. I remember a few years when we had to have some police help to handle all the traffic.

Spitcoff
Username: Spitcoff

Post Number: 143
Posted on Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

vernor's