Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Book Cadillac Hotel Memories « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Liberté (Admin) (69.3.253.87 - 69.3.253.87)
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell the story of the Book Cadillac to the world. Share your memories below.

SNOZ (67.8.155.106 - 67.8.155.106)
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My dad used to work up in the Radio Station up at the top of the BC, had drinks in the Motor Bar, Glory days they were.

Casey Drumm (68.42.166.18 - 68.42.166.18)
Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 4:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My nephew Jason told me about this site. Little did I know, that the Book Cadillac was going to be the first site previewed here. My father(Jason's Grandpa) once worked at the Book as a Bellhop.

I must write that I find the photos of the BC(and others) heartwrenching. Detroit has neglected it's past long enough.

When Marie Antoinette was told that the peasants of France had no bread, she facetiously (or sarcastically) replied: "Well then, let them eat cake!". Perhaps she was just in a foul mood or just suffering from a severe migraine headache? While I can't say for certain that this was the case, I can say for certain that she lost her head over it!

I think that the webmaster has provided some 'food for thought'. We should stop acting in cavalier fashion regarding our architecture gems of the past, lest we become a city without a head or worse ....A CITY WITHOUT A SOUL!

-Casey D. Drumm

Willa (216.216.62.35 - 216.216.62.35)
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Excelsior West Virginia School Alumni Reunion was held at the BOOK CADILLAC in 1974. Boy, was
everyone impressed with that beautiful ballroom!
We hold a reunion every year in a different city
and in all these years there still has not be a
hotel setting to live up to the beauty we all ad-
mired as we stood in awe of the Book Cadillac (or
was it called the Sheraton Cadillac then?) Either, there's just no comparison! I would be
willing to donate a few of my hard earned dollars
to help restore this wonder!

superbill (165.247.231.22 - 165.247.231.22)
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the Book every Saturday, got autographs of all ball players, used to eat breakfast at Suproes Drug Store and go to the ballpark in a cab with them. Casey, Mantle, Yogi… what great time Yankees, at that time my favorite team. I went there on the bus all the time. When they redo it I will go down just for the memories.

rbayerl (63.71.228.3 - 63.71.228.3)
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When we lived in the 8-Mile/Evergreen area of 48219 in the early 1970's, my family could ill afford to stay in even the most modest of chain motor inns on road trips--we camped a lot. When we'd come downtown for things like the fireworks on 1 July, I'd see structures like the Sheraton Cadillac and simply dream of getting to stay in such a place.

TD (68.70.126.246 - 68.70.126.246)
Posted on Saturday, May 10, 2003 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was the Front Office Manager for a short period when it was the Radisson Cadillac. I have two great memories.

I had the privledge to wheel out Joe Lewis from his suite at the property- I believe he was staying there due to the opening of the Joe Lewis Arena.

On a different occassion Tommy 'Hit Man" Hearns asked me to add several rooms to his rooming list when he was staying there. I just remember how unassuming he was with his big boom box.

TD

Bubba (152.163.253.34 - 152.163.253.34)
Posted on Monday, May 26, 2003 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Book Cadillac Hotel was one of the first jobs I had upon returning from the Army in 1962. Three friends were already working there. We prepared the Ballroom for Lady Bird Johnson, wife of the President. She was actually very beautiful in person and very charming. She actually shook our hands. By the way, my three friends and I soon left the hotel and pursued our passion and became the singing group, "The Holidays".

sthomas8 (136.2.1.101 - 136.2.1.101)
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember reading in a biography of Lou Gehrig that he was staying at the Book Cadillac the day he took himself out of the lineup for the day's game at Briggs Stadium, ending his consecutive-game streak.

Mark Oppat (68.42.50.112 - 68.42.50.112)
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2003 - 3:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Starting in 1979, I worked for the Gail and Rice talent agency, which booked local and "name" bands and acts for mostly corporate events. These events were all over the state, but I did work mostly in the Detroit area, at the Ren Cen, Hyatt, Michigan Inn (now gone) and countless other smaller venues. I remember doing only about 4 jobs at the Book. The place was running down even then, and the service elevator was like playing roulette, you could not get it to the proper floor, or get it to land straight! Anyways, the last time I was there was during the Montreaux Jazz Fest, possibly Sept, 1984. Johnny Trudell's big band (one of our bands) was playing the ballroom. It was raining outside... and, water was pouring out of the chandeliers in the stairwells! Each floor higher it was worse! I could not imagine what was going on... it was so sad to see the destruction. It closed the next day I think. The ballroom was still intact then! What a shock to see the pix on this site!
And, What a great site!!!! Keep it up!!!!

Roger G (152.163.253.34 - 152.163.253.34)
Posted on Saturday, May 31, 2003 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Grand Parents met and fell in love while working in the kitchen at the Book back in the late twentys. He an Italian immagrant,via Ellis Island, did not speak english,learning his trade as a well known and (and later) Chef about town, she an immagrant from England via Canada working as a salad girl at the Book. Grampa got his point to the forefront some how. They had one son, my dad, who also became a Chef, and also later worked at the Book with Grampa. I heard many stories about those days from both of them.

kb (209.69.221.253 - 209.69.221.253)
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2003 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandmother, 92, worked at the Book-Cadillac the year it opened. She lied about her age in order to get a much needed job to support her family.

Female Trumpet 02 (172.133.93.13 - 172.133.93.13)
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2003 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Cadillac hotel closed the year shortly after I was born (January of 84)My mom always told me how nice it was and how many parties there were in the ballrooms. It seemed like a classy hotel back in the day

Susan (4.17.247.196 - 4.17.247.196)
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 9:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I attended my Senior Prom at the Book Cadillac in 1982. I remember standing on a balconey overlooking the Grand Ballroom and looking at my classmates all dressed up.
I am glad to hear that restoration is beginning. Detroit has so many beautiful buildings and we all should support their upkeep and resotration.
Susan

Franklin S (69.3.69.19 - 69.3.69.19)
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2003 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My parents knew the hotel as the Book Cadillac. They would tell me of the wonderful times of getting dressed up, and driving for what seemed like hours from their Gladstone Street Detroit home with building anticipation to relish the grandeur of an evening of dinner and dancing at the "Book Cadillac."

My memories are more recent. I was a high school student in the early 70's, and the Hotel was renamed as the "Sheraton Cadillac." I was part of a religious youth group that would hold annual conventions at the Hotel. I ran for regional Vice President in the now ravaged but previously elegant Grand Ballroom. "Tradition and respect" I stated, "Is what elevates us to eschew evil, and builds greatness and enriches our lives for our future." I had a standing ovation from my friends, and thumbs up from the 'current administration.'

We sang in the Grand Ballroom. We ate. We danced. For hours we danced. We danced with a joy in our hearts that made the rest of the world melt away. For those few days out of each year, all we knew was gratitude for what we had, and love of life, gleeful joy, and strength of inner peace.

One year at the Sheraton Cadillac, we wore stickers that simply had the letters "D.I.B." which stood for "Detroit Is Beautiful." For us, in the time of our idealist and dreamy youth, Detroit and the Sheraton Cadillac was the most beautiful place on Earth.

Another year, maybe 1974, we were singing religious songs in our courtside hotel room, and the window shattered into the room spraying glass on us, the floor and the bed. We immediately called security, and they identified that a "rock or some projectile" was flung across the courtyard by what the security officer described as a "would-be music critic." Housekeeping cleaned up the glass, and security suggested we sing more quietly. Looking back, I don't think any of us made it in the music industry. That was the last year I went to the annual convention.

I met wonderful people from all over the country that I have loved, respected, and have missed for 30 years at the Sheraton Cadillac conventions. I often wonder what happened to them, how their lives continued on, how the youth group impacted their lives. I know I am a better person for it. I hope the hotel can be restored to its former beauty and elegance, so that future generations of people can know the happiness of what a beautiful place Detroit and the Sheraton Cadillac can be.

I wasn't elected the year I ran. But that didn't make my enthusiasm wane in the least for the group, or our yearly conventions.

Bobbiesoxer (68.40.16.252 - 68.40.16.252)
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2003 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lobby of Book Cadillac was fantastic!
I was a student at Cass Tech High in 1949 and wrote feature articles for the school paper. Cass Tech was close to "downtown" Detroit. We often walked there after school It was safe then!
In those days the entertainers (singers, big bands,etc.) always stayed at the "Book." Whenever famous people came to town we teenagers loved to see if we could see them. I tried to get an interview with a famous singer called Tony Martin. Even Frank Sinatra stayed there, and I was an avid fan of his as his career began.
The Book was a very exciting place to just walk into!

shmopie (69.3.22.74 - 69.3.22.74)
Posted on Sunday, July 06, 2003 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember going to the Book Cadillac for a Grand and Classy buffet probably on a Friday night. It was very elegant. The year was around 1962

Adseven (152.163.253.34 - 152.163.253.34)
Posted on Sunday, August 31, 2003 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

64 years ago my husband and I spent our wedding night at the Book Cadillac. It was my first time staying in a hotel, and I was overwhelmed by the beauty and elegance of it.

JohnD (12.23.191.238 - 12.23.191.238)
Posted on Monday, September 08, 2003 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was going to school in Toronto I had a girlfriend who lived with her parents in Southfield. On my frequent trips to Detroit I would always stay at the Book Cadillac and for some reason (probably because I was there so much and they were empty) they would give me a beautiful suite for the price of a regular room. What a gorgeous hotel! I have always had fond memories of the Book Cadillac. I hope that the resources can be found to restore her.

Damon R
Posted on Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It almost brings a tear to my eye knowing that the Book Cadillac will be restored.I was born in 1979 and I can remember my grandparents telling me how wonderful and majestic the hotel was.I have never experienced the Book Cadillac and I think when it opens, we wll rent out a suite for a whole week just to lavish in it's elegance.The Book Cadillac is a building that is very close to my heart because it is apart of a legacy that we've all inherited as Detroiters and now that long lost friend is returning. I couldnt ask for a better gift. (What a beautiful gift.)

(Message approved by admin)

Savefortwayne (Savefortwayne)
Posted on Tuesday, October 14, 2003 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobbiesoxer,

It's safe now, people just don't realize it. So much bad publicity has scared the suburbonites into believing Detroit is some sort of criminal waste land.

manfred harms (Unregistered Guest)
Posted From: 62.214.41.99
Posted on Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i bought a brown leather suitcase at a antik market near luebeck in northern germany, there are two stickers at the front. one from the hotel book cadillac in detroit. unfortunately without a date at the stamp, it seems to be very old. i believe it could be from the 1930th.

statler (Unregistered Guest)
Posted From: 66.167.212.30
Posted on Sunday, October 26, 2003 - 6:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Savefortwayne,

I think you're incorrect. Downtown and midtown have become safer over the years; though, it's still not safe enough to take a casual stroll downtown in areas apart from Foxtown or Greektown.

Working downtown for the past 20 years as an attorney, I've seen many bad things happen. But then again, I've seen imporvement. If one is from the suburbs, I would advise against simply walking the streets in mid or downtown apart from the "tourist" like districts.

Roberto Warren (Unregistered Guest)
Posted From: 64.18.236.187
Posted on Saturday, November 15, 2003 - 5:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1973, The Mid-States Regional Ballet Conference was held in Detroit. There were dance companies from all over the Midwest here in Detroit. The Book Cadillac (I think then it was the Sheraton Cadillac) was the headquarters for all of the events. I remember taking class with Leon Danelian from New York's School of American Ballet in the Grand Ballroom that is pictured on the website. In fact, I think my place at the barre was right in front of the window pictured, because I remember the balcony and the curtains

Forumers (Mscrankyangel)
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2003 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mom Took a switchboard operations class at the Book-Cadillac in the late 60's. She said it was very exciting, her first trip downtown without her mom. She said they ate luinch every day at Hudsons.

david dell (Unregistered Guest)
Posted From: 68.61.8.60
Posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2004 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandmother stayed there one night when she was travelling to see my grandfather who was down in detroit for some reason during WWII. My other memory of it is as a closed and deteriorating building (quite grand looking) as I stayed in the hotel across the street to its right (as you look at the front doors) prior to leaving for the Air Force in November 1985. That hotel was called The Mariner at that time.

David

Freddie (Unregistered Guest)
Posted From: 149.174.164.71
Posted on Friday, May 14, 2004 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All Of the Memories I have of the "Book" are ones that have been handed down to me from family member passed stays there. I'm only eighteen years old and that about as long as the Book has been closed. My family and I do alot of traveling and usually stay in historic 5-star hotels when where in major downtowns such as New York (waldorf astoria) Chicago (The Drake) and Toronto (Royal York) and i often compare these lavish hotels to the great yet decaying hotels of detroit, The Book, Fort Shelby, Statler, Lee Plaza. and I hope someday that all of them are renovated to once again have visitors checking in. For the book however my hope may soon be coming true !

Sally Laskey (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 24.169.237.238
Posted on Sunday, August 08, 2004 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1964 we had our Prom, Cooley High, at the Cadillac, it was wonderful. As teenagers we were all awe struck by its wonders and beauty. This site is great and brings goose bumps to see how devistated it has become. I too am very glad to see that someone cares and is working towards rebuilding it. So many are torn down and rebuilt and never retain the class and elegance they once had. I hope you will continue to update this site on its progress as I will be returning to this site over the years to follow its progress.

Bohemian
Username: Bohemian

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to hang around downtown with my father sometimes in the early to mid 1970s, and it was always the grandest site, to see the "Sheraton Cadillac Hotel" rise from its still-viable streetfront. I loved a good hotel stay as much then as today, but as a kid, I was lucky to see even such a venue as the 5-story Sheraton airport inn in Warwick, RI. How was it, anyway, that Sheraton became associated with the Book, then left? I never knew that story.

Barbara B. (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 24.13.153.233
Posted on Tuesday, December 21, 2004 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe it was the Book Cadillac Hotel where the Beatles stayed in 1964(?) - my girlfriend and I got dressed up and took the Michigan Avenue bus down there to see if we could spot them. We hung around outside the hotel but didn't see any of "The Boys" - just some middle-aged guys who looked like conventioners who tried to hit on us teenage girls. My mom would have killed me if she knew where I went - I was supposed to be at my friend's house.

John Gosik (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 12.202.194.62
Posted on Wednesday, January 26, 2005 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I worked at the Sheraton Cadillac Hotel in the late sixties while going to school at Walsh Institute of Accountancy. I worked for Mr. Ezerski at the time. I especially remember Chef Hagen who was Detroit's top Chef. Not only could Chef Hagen create outstanding entrees, his ability to carve Christmas ice sculptures (Santa, sleigh, raindeers) and display them on the boulevard in front of the hotel was nothing short of sensational.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba was married in the Sheraton Cadillac Hotel on June 14, 1964. Sadly, the marriage didn't last.

The wedding took a year to plan, and came complete with Chupa, cantor and rabbi. We had a dance band, a huge cake, a sit-down evening dinner, and the band played on. A huge wedding photo book was made and we still have it.

Our first wedding night was spent at the Howard Johnson's on W. Grand Blvd. and John C. Lodge Service Drive. Then, we drove in our new car, a 1964 Valiant and a gift from my parents, to Washington, DC since my brother lived there and we wanted to do some sightseeing.
jjaba

J. Gollan Root (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 24.128.26.62
Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife found in her late parents' things an old linen towel with "Hotel-Book Cadillac" woven on both ends. It is about 21" long and 14" wide. A label says that it was Made in Ireland and sold by James G. Hardy & Co. of New York and Chicago. We had no idea what or where this hotel was or is, so we checked it out on the computer. How nice to discover what a wonderful history the Book-Cadillac has. Does anyone know about this towel? It looks like the size a waiter might have draped over his arm.

peggy mccarthy davis (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.184.169.39
Posted on Monday, March 28, 2005 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I was a teen ager, I used to go to downtown Detroit, every Saturday. My first stop was to the elegant bathrooms in the Book Cadillac to comb my hair! Also, while attending Hillsdale College, I helped celebrate Chi Omegas 50th anniversary at the Book Cadillac. All wonderful times.

Bob Will (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.127.166.88
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Del Courtney Orchestra
My dad was a drummer with the Del Courtney Orchestra in 1937 and performed in the ballroom at the Book-Cadillac from May 26 to July 4, 1937. This was one of the longest stays for the band while on the road between 1936 and 1939. Dad met my mom during this period and left the band in 1939 to go home to San Francisco to start their family. That was an exciting time in their lives, and the Book-Cadillac was part of it. I'm glad that Detroit his renovating this great and historic hotel.

Katherine Smither (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 192.85.50.1
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Grandfather, (Leo Smither) cut hair at the Book-Cadillac Hotel in the 40's and 50's. I have heard such wonderful stories from my Aunt and Father about this lovely hotel.

Katherine Smither (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 192.85.50.2
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update from 5/18/05: after speaking to my Aunt last evening, my Grandfather (Leo Smither) worked at the Book-Cadillac in the 20's and 30's... He trained many hairdresser's at the hotel... I guess he was quite well known and cut Mrs. Ford's hair and Mrs. H. Dodge's hair.

jcrawf (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 24.210.100.244
Posted on Saturday, October 29, 2005 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just stumbled onto this site. Very interesting and evocative.
I grew up in the Fenkell-Livernois area for the most part. I remenber a gypsy fortune teller who was right next to Frank Stella's beginning restaurant supply business. And the Piccadilly Theatre.
But, what I wanted to ask. When I was 18 or so we ate pizza. This would have been There were 3 or 4 I recall. Amato's
in, I think, Dearborn. Vesuvio's on Gratiot and maybe Frank's Bar on Fenkell. Most people didn't know what a pizza was. Does anyone recall any others from that era?

Penny (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted From: 68.41.179.8
Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember a Scottish crooner by the name of William, Bill, or Billy Boyd? I just wondered if he ever sang there?

Mtm
Username: Mtm

Posted From: 134.67.6.11
Posted on Friday, June 16, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Like many Detroit Fire Fighters, my Dad also worked odd jobs on his days off. One of his spare jobs was doing electrical work at the Sheraton (as it was at that time). Dad's always been something of a "junk picker" and one day he brought home two trashed movie pictures: a Norma Talmadge from 1917 and a Clara Bow from 1930. Theyre no great collectors' items (Norma appears to have had water color added and Clara was folded rather than rolled at some point) but they're a great addition to our home theater and a special memory.

Also, shortly before it closed, a coworker and I had lunch at the Cadillac's sidewalk cafe. I remember clearly that I had a Monte Cristo sandwich and it was such a wonderful day that we didn't go back to work but spent the rest of the day there watching the Trolley roll up and down Washington Blvd.

Ebon
Username: Ebon

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, March 04, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, yes, the elegant Book-Cadillac hotel. We spent our wedding night there on 10-1-55 and ran into Danny Thomas, the entertainer, on the elevator. I ultimately worked next door at the Detroit Edison Washington Blvd. retail office and would eat lunch there often. When I attended U of D on Jefferson Ave. as an A K Psi officer we would hold many banquets at the hotel. Yes, many fond memories of the now deceased grand old lady.

Evm02docstatencus
Username: Evm02docstatencus

Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My Mother,Marie Purviance, was a professional ice skater and skated at Book Cadillac Hotel, around 1943 maybe. She skated with the Dorothy McCusker, Johnny Casper, Bruce Sheffer to Manny Prager's orchestra. Does anyone remember this time?

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 189
Posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother met my dad at the Book Cadillac around 1937. She was attending a dance being held by the Daughters of Scotia (a fraternal organization). My dad was part of the "stag line", probably forced by my grandmother, who was active in the organization. I still have my mom's dance card from the evening.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 190
Posted on Tuesday, September 23, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother met my father at a Daughters of Scotia dance at the Book Cadillac in 1937. She was from Pontiac and came down with a friend, my dad was in the "Stag line" probably forced by my Grandma because she was really active in the organization. They always had fond memories of the Book! I still have her dance card from that night.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 291
Posted on Monday, September 29, 2008 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandparents spent their honeymoon at the BCH in the 1940's. My Grandfather used to play the trumpet in Henry Ford's personal orchestra, and would play at the Book frequently. I, being born only 5 years before Book-Cadillac closed it's doors had no memories at all. Until November 22nd 2001 when I decided to enter the building through a loose board . Figuring it will most likely be razed, I wanted to see the famous hotel where my family spent so much time, and, where so much history was made. I never would have thought, back then, that it would be in the newly renovated condition it is in today.

Congrats to all that had a hand in this accomplishment.

-Richard