Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » New Garden Style Lofts in Islandview Village « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 988
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The sign went up this morning on the northwest corner of E. Grand Boulevard and Vernor Highway.

Follow the link and click on the first icon to the left - Grand Boulevard Garden Lofts.

http://thethinkshop.us/

I'm excited to see the continuing improvement in my community.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1742
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting! Hadn't heard about this one, although I'll look for the sign. Good to see that that big empty lot on the northwest corner will be filled in.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2962
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That is really aggressive for that location. I'm glad to see the redevelopment, but am quite leery of the design. I hope they pull it off and it brings some new money to that neighborhood.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1389
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks like it's just some low-income prefab housing...

not surprised there wasn't much press about this one...

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1147
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no it doesn't.

there's nothing like that in this area. it will fulfill a niche that is empty and many people are looking for right now. i was wondering when somebody who has the guts to do it was going to develop something like this.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 751
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know about low-income, but it says it is "prefabricated option-laden architecture":

What the hell is a Detroit attitude when it comes to building a residence, an Uzi by the door or a crack pipe in every room?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2967
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It won't be cheap with all the "green" features they are putting in. Believe me, they'll be going for yuppie white folk with this sort of attitude. Probably not low-income.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 2195
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Given the fact that English Village as been doing well for years, this project should do just fine. It gives a nice option for people who like the neighborhood but want something that isn't historic or faux historic.

This is some great modern design with a lot of green features that will easily pay for themselves in a short amount of time.

Eric_c

Post Number: 989
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks perfect.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1743
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't look low-income at all to me, although it does look somewhat prefab, which probably keeps costs reasonable, which is fine.

It looks like cars enter straight off of E. Grand and drive under the front of the building... interesting. But there are also the balconies right on the front which is nice.

Eric_c

Post Number: 990
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The interior photos show lots of high-end treatments, too. I also like all the windows.

These will look great along the Boulevard, not to mention they may also prompt the burned rowhouse directly west of this project to go away!

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 745
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks somewhat like the condos in Royal Oak. I'd like it if it wasn't doo-doo brown.

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 846
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why the street facing garages? Doesn't Grand River have an alley that could flip that design and offer zero curb cuts?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2978
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When did those rowhouses burn? They're not coming to mind right now, but I'm pretty sure they were fine, and I would hope for a rehab instead.

Rrl, I wondered the same thing. Let's consider the fact that the buildings/houses along Grand Blvd. do have a significant setback. Most have large lawns.

Mccarch
Username: Mccarch

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pray that the exterior is not Texture-111 plywood*, but whatever it is, it looks like Texture-111.

*spawn of the devil

Eric_c

Post Number: 991
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rrl - The project is on E. Grand Boulevard. I assume you mistyped. There is an alley, but it seems as if many houses on that section of the street already have driveways. I don't believe alley-access parking is that necessary here.

Mackinaw - The rowhouses which burned are on the north side of Vernor, in the first lot west of this Garden Loft project. They haven't been much other than flop-houses for a very long time. Other than the fact that the roof is gaping open, they're no better now than they were.

I'd love to see them either restored or demolished to make room for more of these new condos.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2321
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric_c -

I'll be in town next week -- how about brunch at Misha's?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 2983
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha Mccarch, I believe you.

Eric, we'll see. We all know what an asset a restoration can be. Look at the amazingly restored brownstones next to the new townhouses in Brush Park. Those things were about to fall over.

Eric_c

Post Number: 992
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How 'bout a nice big salty drink of me, instead?

What's happening, Dab? Dinner perhaps?

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2323
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll send you an email.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 359
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These places look great. Can anybody take a picture of them when you get a chance? <313>

Eric_c

Post Number: 1000
Posted on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They will build them after they are sold, so hang on for pictures.

If anyone is in the market for a new condo in a near-Downtown neighborhood, I can heartily vouch for Islandview Village. I live literally one block east of this project and have nothing but good things to report about the community. I joke that it's the "Woodbridge of the East."

Forum member Rms lives roughly five houses north of the parcel being developed, and he seems to like it too!

Bijouloveshues
Username: Bijouloveshues

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quozi :: " What the hell is a Detroit attitude when it comes to building a residence, an Uzi by the door or a crack pipe in every room? "

Way to reinforce negative stereotypes and further stunt the growth. Maybe you should consider that positive change can occur and applaud the people that are helping to facilitate it.