Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detroit pictures » Detroit pictures - 1 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a lot of people who take quality shots of the city. I know other boards have things like a picture of the day thread so I figured it might work here. Im hoping more for either one or two shots at a time from people and not whole tours. I think those are more deserving of their own threads anyway.

Maybe it will catch on, maybe not. Figure Id give it a try though. So heres two to start it off.

Shot of the Spirit of Detroit:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/447851858/

Shot of the Guardian Building's impressive interior:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/442404699/

Enjoy!

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 163
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very cool

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2185
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We actually have had a regular Pic of the Day poster in AIW. Check out this recent thread on What Happened to AIW's "Pic of the Day" at:
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/98415.html?1175360086

A couple others have also regularly posted Pic of the Days as well.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 862
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen:

Do you sell you prints anywhere? If so, where? If not, you should.

Southen

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have sold some prints. Mostly from people contacting me through flickr. Other then dropping a link here or there to photos I dont really promote myself. Thanks for the complement though.

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen:

These pics are fantastic and I would love to get my hands on a print of any of those, Detroit is lucky to have people like you to showcase its beauty! If you do plan on selling any more prints give me a shout at hanswieger@yahoo.com. Very nice indeed!

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2223
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Detroit is lucky to have people like you

to break into its buildings and trespass upon other people's property.

Lucky, lucky Detroit.

Dabirch

Post Number: 2224
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And just so you know, the Broderick is not abandoned. It is empty.

Abandoned means that the owner has given up their interest in the building.

Empty means it is not occupied.

Big difference.

Beatsworking
Username: Beatsworking

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to pics... Signs...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com /179/441350445_e6013c338a_b.jp g

http://farm1.static.flickr.com /182/397210261_b7fcebcccf_b.jp g

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 220
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen, is it alright if I use some for my computer's wallpaper?

Dabirch

Post Number: 2225
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Southen, is it alright if I use some for my computer's wallpaper?

Clearly he does not care about other people's property -- I would say go ahead and sell them if you want.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 210
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen, truly beautiful shots of Detroit. I admire your skill and appreciate your generosity for posting them here for us to enjoy. I hope your idea for a regular thread of quality photography catches on here. Keep up the fine work!

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed

i cant seem to get a Flikr account to work for me...

so there is my answer. what do i win Southen?

david

Southen

Post Number: 122
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait Dabirch I get called out about not caring about other peoples property that they have decided to neglect?

Im not a vandal and Ive never broken into anywhere. If a place is open I will document it and leave it as it was. Often after excursions owners are made aware of how people are getting into their buildings so they can seal them up.

And until Higgins does something with the Broderick, which has yet to be seen. Its still abandoned.

Dabirch if you would like to continue this conversation or debate you can email me. The address can be found through my flickr profile. I dont feel the need to clutter a thread that supposed to bring attention to great photos of the city we care about.

Dbest feel free to contact me and we can talk about prints.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 767
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen- Absolutely amazing pictures. I was looking through them on Saturday. When I need to decorate I will be using some of those pics.

Southen

Post Number: 123
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha good job Ltdave. Unfortunately the prize was kind of a flickr thing. Mostly in the form of giving comments to some of the winners photography.

I dont mind use of the photos for backgrounds. Please ignore Dabrich's childish remarks.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 8856
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing childish about them.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 382
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent photography Southen, I really like:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=429633468&size=l

and

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=430644706&context=ph otostream&size=l

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 143
Posted on Friday, April 06, 2007 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love the photographs Southern. As for Dabirch's view I kinda have to laugh there are alot worse things that are done in these buildings, and its not like you need to break in to any of them. They are open so you are simply trespassing not breaking and entering.

Southen

Post Number: 126
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heres another shot. This one from Hart Plaza looking up at the skyline.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/450830711/

Happy Easter!.....to those celebrating it. Hope thats pc enough.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 225
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen, I've been to your Flickr site and spent some time viewing your photos. Each one has your uniqueness and quality. Wonderful stuff, a real tribute to the city we love. Thanks again, for sharing them.

Bohemianrobot
Username: Bohemianrobot

Post Number: 23
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sunset/skyline from Belle Isle...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com /172/433135773_0ef48bc3bb_o.jp g

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 87
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

southen-your work is stunning
i hope you get paid to do this

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 862
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen,

What a fine end to the Easter holiday.

What you have done with your camera is amazing.

Thanks

Southen

Post Number: 127
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"i hope you get paid to do this"

Im hoping someday. Still trying to hone my skills and put together a portfolio.

Bohemianrobot - thats a really cool shot of the skyline off in the distance. Fantastic sky.

Psychesc
Username: Psychesc

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, April 08, 2007 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I may add my two cents....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/p sychesc/426975603/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/p sychesc/426979253/

Southern, I love your pictures! Seeing work like that always inspires me to go out and take more of my own pictures.

Southen

Post Number: 128
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really like that castle shot Psychesc.

Southen

Post Number: 129
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heres a shot of the Noguichi fountain in Hart Plaza.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/452510084/

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 303
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh shit, that's beautiful! Dang Ryan, start up a business and start selling this stuff!

Kingofdetroit
Username: Kingofdetroit

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used to have a site called detroitphotography.com and have a bunch of pics I took. I was going to sell 24x36 framed BW pics of Detroit shipped for 99$... I never found the time to "get it together" though and let the domain go to some scavengers. :-(

Billybbrew
Username: Billybbrew

Post Number: 280
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to second what Southen says, since I know him. There are a group of people that do go into "neglected" buildings that are not kept secure by their owners and document them. People like Southen and myself do not vandalize, tag or otherwise steal from the buildings, we document them photographically because in alot of cases, they may not be around. There are a group of people out there that give urban explorers a bad name by destroying buildings and graffing them up and the scrappers sure don't help our reputation either. I realize I'm trespassing, but when I just walk in the front door of an abandoned building.....need I say more. It's intersting to note that if you go to other cities, the abandoned buildings are not all covered in graffiti and smashed, though the scrappers have taken their toll. There are urban explorers in those cities as well. Just seems like a group of Detroit explorers are disrespectful.

Gibran

Post Number: 176
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow ...very nice photos...I am so jealous...noce work to all of you,,,,we do appreciate it.

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 115
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some pictures I took about a month ago.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/yelloweyes/

might have to copy and paste?

(Message edited by yelloweyes on April 09, 2007)

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 275
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen, your picture of the inside of the Guardian building is really fantastic. You really have some talent with HDR. I am looking to buy a Digital-SLR sometime in the next 3-6 months. In terms of having one useful for learning HDR, do you have any recommendations? I know that it probably does not matter, as all cameras can take different exposures, but I wanted to see if you had any advice. Thanks!

Andyguard73

Post Number: 221
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen's pic of the Guardian inspired me to go into the lobby when I was downtown for the tourney this weekend, and as fantastic as that photo is, nothing compares to the grandeur of the building in person. It's simply amazing.

Southen

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am in complete agreement Andyguard. A photo really doesnt do that lobby justice. Ive got a few more of the lobby Ill have to post soon. Really a great place to take pictures.

Cman I use a Nikon D50, which is on the lower end of the DSLR scale but it works just fine. In terms of HDR programs I bought a one called Photomatix which works great but you can also do it in photoshop CS2. Just takes a little time to play with and develope a style but when done properly it looks pretty sweet.

Andyguard73

Post Number: 222
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since everyone's sharing, I'll try to contribute :-)

http://s72.photobucket.com/alb ums/i187/andyguard73/Detroit%2 0Detroit/?action=view&current= 100_0339.jpg

*After checking the link, I notice it won't take you to the full size automatically, and the smaller size is a little distorted. Just click on the pic to get the full size and a clearer pic.

(Message edited by Andyguard73 on April 09, 2007)

Cman710

Post Number: 276
Posted on Monday, April 09, 2007 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen,

Thanks very much for the information. I have admired your HDR photos for months. I really do think you have a talent for the technique.

I have looked online at the Canon Digital Rebel and the Nikon D40 online so far (and tried my girlfriend's aunt's Digital Rebel). I am going to take a look at the D50, and the Canon EOS, too, though that one is more expensive. Anyway, thanks for the information.

BTW, did you take down your Michigan Central pictures? I can swear you had an awesome set up at one time.

Southen

Post Number: 133
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did have an MCS set on there but I go through faces of being a big time perfectionist, so some galleries get updated, some get chopped, as I improve and get better equipment. I do plan on reshooting the place since the old shots were taken with a sony cybershot and now I have much better equipment.

Cman710

Post Number: 277
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Southen,

Your old MCS pictures were pretty good, so I'll look forward to the new set. Are you planning on doing any HDR's of the inside? I would guess that with the lighting in there that there could be some interesting possibilities. Some day, I hope to take photos of the inside of MCS, too. It's too bad I do not live in the area, though I will probably come in August. If I were in the area, I'd use Detroit as my setting to learn photography!

Southen

Post Number: 134
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really like using HDR for architectural shots, especially in poor lighting conditions like those that can be found in MCS. It allows you to see all the detail of the place that a normal shot might not allow. So yes, if im able to get back in there that will definitely part of the plan.

Detroit is really the only place in SE Michigan that I enjoy shooting. Well I shouldnt say that, there are some exceptions. I just like how unique it is and the fact it isnt an endless sea of strip malls and cookie cutter subdivisions.

Cman710

Post Number: 278
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it seems like architectural shots are great for HDR, especially since buildings are static subjects. I read something online with some basic HDR information, and it noted that you can lose contrast with HDR technique. While I can see that a bit, I have to say you do a great job in maintaining a lot of detail, especially in the building shots, and the shot of Tiger stadium that you had up at one time (and may still...just haven't checked in a while).

Detroit is definitely a really interesting place visually. Last August, I was in Detroit for one day and took 491 pictures. I am (very slowly) getting them together in an online album to post, but want to take the time to put captions and the like, so it's taking some time. I posted a few of them a little ways back with some requests for information.

When you take low-light pictures, do you use a lense that helps you get low exposures, or do you just use the D50's basic lens?

Southen

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What kind of low light pictures are you talking about? For night shots or dusk shots I use a tripod. That eliminates all shake and gives a crisp shot. Otherwise I use a wider angle and larger aperature if light isnt ideal. Flash always comes in handy too.

For pictures in MCS or other places like that i strictly use my tripod.

Southen

Post Number: 136
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I mentioned before posting a few more shots of the Guardian Buildings lobby. Well, here they are:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/454214997/
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/454216881/

Cman710

Post Number: 279
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I particularly like the first, color picture. I love the way you framed the photograph.

Actually, I can use that photo as an example. If I were to use my point and shoot and take that same photo, it would come very dark, and I would lose the detail. When you took that, did you just use a tripod and a normal aperture? Did you use a flash?

Also, do you have an e-mail address at which I could contact you in the future? I appreciate your help and if I have any questions in the future, it would be great if I could contact you if you don't mind.

Southen

Post Number: 137
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both shots were with tripods. WIth a flash you would lose a lot. Yeah dont hesitate if you have any questions: rsouthen at gmail dot com.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3758
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My two cents.

Southen's work is stunning. I received one of your photos on a card given to me (I guess they can be ordered through flikr?) and loved / recognized it immediately.

The work shows mastery of technique and technology, great sense of composition (whether during shoots or done afterwards, doesn't matter, great composition) and a sensitivity to the souls of the subjects, whether human or architectural. While some are of vacant buildings and blight, the sensitivity with which they are treated brings a new appreciation to the buildings. These are very different pieces from those I have railed against in the past on this forum. If folks are unable to see the difference between these and say the ones in the "quick pic" threads, well, I guess thats how we wind up with Thomas Kinkade - Painter of Light® and Hummel figurines hailed as great artwork. (Although to compare the "quick pic" work to Hummel figurines is a colossal insult to Hummels)

Bravo on work well done. It makes me realise how basic and unexciting my own work is. I have a very, very, very long way to go.

Echoing Dabirch's comments, trespassing and breaking and entering is a huge problem for a lot of building owners. Unfortunately what may appear simply as a building that has been "left open" and could be considered "fair game" by some has not been left open. It has been broken into by homeless people, scrappers, assfucks like the retards at WideopenDetroit...and more 'principled' explorers are merely happening upon them before they breach can be remedied, often a great cost. Of course in other cases, negligent landlords are clearly at fault.

For example, the DDA spends roughly $500,000 per year securing and resecuring a small number of properties (less than 6) in the CBD each year. This doesn't include the higher insurance premiums incurred by relentless B & Es

I know the City spends an equally stupid number as well on their properties. Consider the amount spent by private owners as well and it totals well into the millions of dollars a year spent on boarding and reboarding properties in the CBD alone.

While there are more 'principled' spelunkers as Southen and BillyBB claim to be, the vast majority are not. I can certainly understand Dabirch's reaction as it is often mine as well. But a part of me wants to look the other way when I see the pieces like the interior shots of the United Artist building....simply breathtaking.

Southen

Post Number: 138
Posted on Tuesday, April 10, 2007 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the kind words Skulker. I think you put very well the differences between what myself and a few friends do, compared to other explorers out there. I am very much pro-preservation and as much as I love exploring and shooting these places, theres nothing id like to see more than these places restored.

Im curious about this card you mentioned, because I retain all copyright on my photos and noone asked for permission to use any of them on something like that.

Southen

Post Number: 140
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heres a new shot, the Renaissance Center:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/454209216/

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 167
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen your work is absolutely breathtaking. I have just purchased a home and would like to discuss your work. Please shoot me an email at jcbal at umich dot edu.

peace

Southen

Post Number: 141
Posted on Saturday, April 14, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A shot I took yesterday of the Ren Cen. This time in black and white and at an angle. I like it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/458823236/

Southen

Post Number: 146
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure if there is any interest left in this thread since it has kind of died down, but if there is I have a few more images to add, both of which are night shots.

First is a night shot of Michigan Central Station:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/460683393/

Second is a night shot of the Spirit of Detroit:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/464224272/

Gibran

Post Number: 212
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow you are by far one of the best photographers I have seen in a while..thanks again for your work...This week we needed something of beauty to fill the hearts after all the violence....

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3788
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen:

Sorry to get back to you so late re: the greeting card. Just saw your post.

This image
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/159029463/in/set-720575 94070592141/
was printed on a Shutterfly card. I don't know how these things work, but when I saw it, I knew it was an image you had taken. Been lurking on your flikr account for a while.

Southen

Post Number: 148
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting. Do you know who the card was from or how i could contact them? You arent supposed to take images from flickr and distribute them yourself without authorization or permission. Id be very interested in knowing what they were doing with my image, especially that one since ive sold several prints of it. Thanks for your help, and dont worry about not getting back to me right away.

Gibran: Thanks for the kind words. I suggest browsing flickr for more Detroit photos. You will be blown away by some of the work of other photographers.

Bpjeff
Username: Bpjeff

Post Number: 52
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen:

Speaking of selling your prints, our condominium may be interested in buying some to place in our common areas. Do you have a website?

Southen

Post Number: 149
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No I dont. Something im strongly considering for the near future though. You can contact me through flickr or my email is rsouthen at gmail dot com.

Bpjeff
Username: Bpjeff

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, April 19, 2007 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got it! Thanks.

Southen

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two more. First one being a skyline shot from the Broderick Tower, second is another shot of the Ren Cen.

skyline:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/466248298/

Ren Cen:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/465266713/

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 43
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen...you really are a great artistic photographer. Thanks for sharing!

Cman710

Post Number: 284
Posted on Friday, April 20, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen, I really love the Michigan Central shot. Your skyline shot is terrific as well! Please keep posting your links.

Southen

Post Number: 157
Posted on Tuesday, May 01, 2007 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been awhile so heres another shot. This time one of Lee Plaza.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/480295031/

Southen

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

New one. A shot of the Book Tower showing the fire escape from hell.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/485768000/

Andyguard73

Post Number: 235
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great work as usual Ryan. It's especially striking in the large on black view. Thanks for sharing!

Cman710

Post Number: 299
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ryan. I really like that one, too. It captures the grittiness of the building, and is taken more closely than most pictures that show the fire escape.

Canuckr
Username: Canuckr

Post Number: 60
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pixors Southen...

Grand Circus Park..

http://i23.photobucket.com/alb ums/b356/canuckr/Expolration/7 2.jpg

Wally2times
Username: Wally2times

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, gorgeous photo of the park.

Cman710

Post Number: 300
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice shot, Canuckr!

Ewo
Username: Ewo

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just came across this thread, all I can say is these are the best Detroit pics I've ever seen.

Keep 'em coming.

Gibran

Post Number: 335
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

phenomenal shot...if you don't mind what type of camera/lens are you using ?

Bohemianrobot
Username: Bohemianrobot

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southern, you rule. Canuckr, that's beautiful.

Detroit skyline from a month or so ago...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com /216/458296288_e3fa923398_o.jp g

More people need to contribute to this thread!

6nois

Post Number: 192
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/n spiotrowski/469936208/in/set-7 2157600111022512/

nice shot of windsor from the riverfront.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/n spiotrowski/468447759/in/set-7 2157600111022512/

Detroit Mercy.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 976
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6nois, I take it that you go to Detroit Mercy?

6nois

Post Number: 195
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah guilty as charged.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 979
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That explains how you got onto the roof of North Quad; I was just curious.

6nois

Post Number: 198
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually that shot came from Shiple

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 980
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, got it. No need to journey to the roof of north quad then.

6nois

Post Number: 200
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nope nope.

Canuckr

Post Number: 61
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"phenomenal shot...if you don't mind what type of camera/lens are you using ?"

What that for me?? If so, thanks..
Nikon D200 w/Tokina 12-24 lens..

Another night shot..
http://i.pbase.com/o6/25/64932 5/1/74606496.2ec69Dsl.4.jpg

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 535
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

forbidden

Southen

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heres a shot from this last weekend showing the sun setting from Belle Isle:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/489939999/

Canuckr email me at rsouthen at gmail dot com, id like to ask you a few things about that Grand Circus Park shot.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 2753
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love photography but have not had enough time yet to really get into capturing dramatic skyline shots as some of you have.

Here are a few of mine from Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=226218985&context=se t-72157594273942314&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=234379835&context=se t-72157594273942314&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=401199254&context=se t-72157594273942314&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=318110098&context=se t-72157594273942314&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=450872407&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=416965258&size=l

Southen

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got another one up. This time its our old pal Slumpy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/490300425/

Cman710

Post Number: 302
Posted on Wednesday, May 09, 2007 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another nice picture. Seems like it was a very sunny day.

Yelloweyes
Username: Yelloweyes

Post Number: 137
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen:

May I ask what type/model of camera you use? Your photos seem to be extremley clear.

Southen

Post Number: 164
Posted on Friday, May 11, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A Nikon d50 is the current model I use. Im hoping to upgrade to a d200 in the near future.

Southen

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hope everyone had a great Mother's Day.

Heres a shot of the Scott Memorial Fountain on Belle Isle at sunset:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/495616920/

Enjoy.

Sturge
Username: Sturge

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, May 14, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are not remotely Southen quality. But here's a few pics I took when I was atop the RenCen on a tour. Unfortunately from where I was I couldn't get close enough to the windows to get rid of the glare or the window framing.

http://home.earthlink.net/~gst urge/belleisle.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~gst urge/tennis.jpg

http://home.earthlink.net/~gst urge/stadium.jpg

Canuckr

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, May 15, 2007 - 8:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Boblo...
http://www.pbase.com/canuckr/i mage/72707868

Southen

Post Number: 170
Posted on Thursday, May 17, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice Boblo shot!

Night-time at Michigan Central Station:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/s outhen/501302656/

Hardliner
Username: Hardliner

Post Number: 61
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Southen, would it be okay if I posted some of these pics to my blog, What I'd like to do is post pics like this every weekend on my blog, newly renamed 'Detroit Populist Times" go have a look http://thepopulistblog.com

thanks,

-Hardliner

Add Your Message Here
Only registered users may post messages on the DetroitYES forums. To register click the JOIN button at the top to obtain a free account.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: