Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detnews: Det close to snagging Quicken » Quicken Consolidated Archive » Detnews: Det close to snagging Quicken - 1 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 378
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070706/O PINION03/707060360

Gilbert:

"before Aug. 1, we will have something to talk about. We're still going through things."

Hudson vs. Statler sites.

It would be one mega site down and one left to go.

That would seem to kill the rumor I heard from several folks that maybe the Comerica building would be the site.

(Message edited by emu_steve on July 06, 2007)

Emu_steve

Post Number: 380
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad this forum doesn't have a poll option.

0 Statler or
0 Hudsons

You vote, Gilbert decides. ;-)

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1393
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm, Come to think about it, I do prefer the Statler site now. It would help Washington, that portion of Downtown and GCP in it's rejuventation. Wasn't it originally suppose to come a Garage anyway?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1573
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This article makes me feel all funny inside! ; D

I vote Statler...

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2396
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

perhaps this has been the incentive for whatever's going on at the UA - 'marketed with the Statler site'

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 392
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HINT UA BUILDING IS PREPING FOR A LIL MORE THAN A LIL SPRING CLEANING. A STATLER SITE WOULD HAVE AS MUCH IMPACT THAN THE BUILDING OF COMPUWARE.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1396
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keeping Score:

3 Statler
0 Hudson

Urbanize

Post Number: 1397
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

4 Statler
0 Hudson

(not quite getting the Grammar Downtown Remix, but I assume you're for the Statler Site).

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think that their corp. HQ would be quite big enough (perhaps even deserving enough) for either site. But in the attitude of Detroiters, any development is good development, so I vote for Statler.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 342
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6 Statler
0 Hudson

(Message edited by leland_palmer on July 06, 2007)

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 274
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would do for Grand Circus Park what Compuware has done for Campus Martius. I don't think that all the people who say that a company moving downtown has no effect on the region understand what Compuware has done for that area. It has created waaaaay more spin off jobs then if it had just relocated to another suburb. The same thing could happen with Quicken. This would be a catalyst to create all kinds of jobs in the city servicing these employees and maybe getting a few to live Downtown. Long live the growing homegrown company.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Put me down for one vote for the Hudson's site. I like the idea of a major corporate HQ on what I consider a more high profile site (if only for its proximity to Woodward). And while I agree that placing Quicken on the Statler site could help spur development on the other side of Woodward and along Washington, I would think that it would be much quicker/easier/less expensive to develop on the Hudson's site and in the long run, that wins out for me (and baring nothing but altruism it probably wins out for somebody who has to make these decisions professionally).

Besides, I think with the increased activity around the Campus Martius area, the benefits will have to spill over towards Washington sooner or later.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CharlottePaul, If they built a Skyline busting Skyscraper, it would definitely be enough (let's not forget the space for an elaborate People Mover Stop on the site as well).

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Urbanize, guess I just don't picture it being half as big as either the Statler Hotel or the former Hudsons building.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 425
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

am i right -- now 7 to 1 statler over hudsons?

Remember, Quicken plans to bring other companies with it

Urbanize

Post Number: 1400
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

7 Statler
1 Hudson

(Jdkeepsmiling, so what site did you prefer or does it matter to you?

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 06, 2007)

Urbanize

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Come to think of it, they should design it like the old Book Tower that was never built, just with the name Quicken instead. That would not only be sweet and unique for Detroit's style of buildings, but I'm sure it would make the Italian Developer smile in his grave and place a blessing on us.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlotte... not deserving enough? not big enough? We have roughly 4500 people scattered throughout metro Detroit, plus the Dan's other ventures (eprize, fathead, etc.) I dont understand what you mean.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 86
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote Statler. Its a shorter walk for me!

Urbanize

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

8 Statler
1 Hudson

(What would blow everyone away is if Dan's vote beats the odds put up by the other members on the site)

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 131
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kid- Will all of the employees be moved downtown or does quicken have "branch" type offices? Just curious.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1403
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 9:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Besides, think about it. With the Book-Cadillac development, this would sure be a Hot-Rod site. Conventioners would have enough hotel rooms, Walking distance from their destination. Plus, they'll be near Capitol Park ad the transit Station. One World Headquarters would blow that side of Downtown away (possibly further than compuware).

I would assume if they built a big enough building (a headquartered type), they'll do like Comerica did and close some of the Downtown branches, although they my leave a few workers at their Livonia location just to serve the people at a smaller bases.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 9:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote Statler, though part of me believes that Hudson's would create a greater impact. Either one is a win.

Question: How big of a building can you build for $200 million?

Urbanize

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9 Statler
1 Hudson

Depends, how much did Compuware cost?

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 87
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who knows, Higgs. If I had to guess I'd say almost all would be consolidated together, with one or two call centers in the suburbs strictly for sales. We are opening up a new call center this month in Southfield that i am moving to. There are a lot of workers from outer ring suburbs that we wouldnt want to lose because of an hour drive downtown.

Emu_steve

Post Number: 382
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 9:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Gilbert:

If you read this forum, please vote.

Your input is most welcome.

Thank You,

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1169

Why not both? Why not leverage this into a spread-out college sort of campus? By doing that, you increase foot-traffic on the streets of Detroit. That foot-traffic is exactly what retailers are looking for.

Imagine, I would leave the GCP building for a meeting at the Hudson Building and stop off at a Jamba Juice on the way!

Or maybe, I could stop in at a Brookstone and buy one of those foot-massagers!

I'd like to see two 20 story towers and call them
"The Daniels" just like the David's.

Dannaroo
Username: Dannaroo

Post Number: 91
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize said:

quote:

What would blow everyone away is if Dan's vote beats the odds put up by the other members on the site

That sounds like criteria for a good friendly wager!

If they make an announcement this month, and it's the Statler Site, I'll buy everybody who voted for it a coney dog (up to the first ten votes) and if they were to announce that it is on the Hudson's site, those first ten voters will each have to buy me a coney dog?

Of course if there is no announcement or they pick a site other than those two, all bets are off.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharmaal, that is the dumbest idea in the world. I could see if they we're right next to each other, but come on. Rock isn't going to invest in two different sites with only so much money and the worker's opinion on it (I'm sure they don't want to be running back and forth to 2 headquarters).

Urbanize

Post Number: 1406
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Remember, Quicken plans to bring other companies with it"

There's the winker right there. If these were separate companies, then Quicken could have one site (Statler), while the other companies had the Hudson site. IF they we're all joint, then just give them one site (Statler).

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 275
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vote goes for the Statler. The Hudson's site will eventually fill regardless, while the Statler need something of just this type to get used. Also it will be a catalyst for the entire area...

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 884
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those other companies are affiliated with Quicken, like Fathead. So it makes no sense to have separate buildings, by the looks of it it Gilbert wants consolidate his much of his empire under one roof

If Quicken does pick downtown then the Statler site would be the better choice Grand Circus is still a skyscraper graveyard and needs big shot in the arm. I just hope the city and state can close deal soon because no matter what site they pick downtown will be better for it.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1407
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

11 Statler
1 Hudson

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 9:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Statler. Be nice if Illitch Family keeps developing that entire area - will pull that whole area together!

I noticed the mayor was meeting with Dan Gilbert in Cleveland - I remember a thread a few weeks ago bashing the mayor for being in Cleveland. Guess we shouldn't jump to conclusions.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1398
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Put a vote in there for Hudsons for me...

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6170
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 9:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote for Statler site for Quicken loans.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol,

I read the Article and it's cute. The two big business Tycoons in the city are somewhat "fighting" over Gilbert's site decision.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1409
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

13 Statler
2 Hudson

(the article states that Hudsons will be cheaper, but any development he makes may be over-shadowed by Compuware, which Gilbert doesn't play ball like that).

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1507
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Statler. If Gilbert is bringing other business with him, you have options like the Whitney, UA for those. Also with it being on Grand Circus Park, its proximity to Comerica Park would give them lots of free advertising.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1410
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Statler site I think would mean a taller Skyscraper due to a smaller area of space. The Hudson Site would favor another Compuware sized building due to a larger area of space.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1411
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't Forget they also have the Book Building as well.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1412
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

14 Statler
2 Hudson

Smitch
Username: Smitch

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Question: How big of a building can you build for $200 million

The Compuware headquarters cost $400 million to build.

From the article:
quote:

Sources familiar with the situation tell me the Hudson's site is larger and would be less expensive to develop. But locating a headquarters there, especially for a CEO like Gilbert who wants to go "big" with a game-changing downtown development play if he goes at all, could be overshadowed by Compuware's presence on Campus Martius

My vote is for the Statler site.

(Message edited by Smitch on July 06, 2007)

Urbanize

Post Number: 1415
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

15 Statler
2 Hudson

(about a 7-1 odd).

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1508
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A way to cut costs would be to build on the Hudson's site, you already have a parking garage there, that could bring the cost of the project down fromwhat it cost to build the Compuware Building.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That also raises the value of the land.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"How big of a building can you build for $200 million"

would be smaller in square footage than Compuware, but the Statler sight is less than 1/2 the size of Compuware block so Gilbert's building could end up being a little taller

their building in Livonia is a mile away form my house in Northville...I drove by it the other day and it's pretty massive...so who knows?

(Message edited by thejesus on July 06, 2007)

Quinn

Post Number: 1399
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the components to this large project, I feel, could be a Macy's-anchored urban mall (previously speculated about on this site). This would require a larger footprint (aka Hudson's).

Thejesus

Post Number: 1575
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^unlikely

Urbanize

Post Number: 1416
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not Quite. Macy's Could Very Well Open Along Washington Blvd, serving the B-C, Quicken, and Trolley Plaza

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 950
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Statler

Urbanize

Post Number: 1417
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

16 Statler
2 Hudson

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 226
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vote goes to the Statler site. That particular part of downtown needs the sort of catylist that Compuware brought for its surrounding area. If Quicken builds big at Statler your going to see spin off in the area. UA will either be part of Quicken or developed on its own, and the Whitney Building owners may finally come up with a plan. Grand Circus Park may finally get the foot traffic it should and be turned into a bustling urban park like Campus Martius is. The Hudson site is prepped for some midrise structures and a developer who doesnt want to risk too much in building downtown. Gilbert doesnt fit that, hes going to want to do something, or trump, what Karmanos did with his company downtown. I expect something grand at the Statler site.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1578
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^not to mention Broderick

Urbanize

Post Number: 1418
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

17 Statler
2 Hudson

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 685
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My vote is Statler Site. Just yesterday morning I walked from Cobo to Grand Circus Park via Washington. Between the BC Hotel and GCP I encountered exactly 3 pedestrians...at 10AM!! The spinoff from a statler move would be greater, in my opinion than a hudson site move.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1424
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol Detroitstar. Yeah, 3 pedestrians on a Historically Upscale Boulevard in Downtown Detroit is sorry

18 Statler
2 Hudson

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 564
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Statler.

Brandonhgt
Username: Brandonhgt

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Statler, our apartment overlooked GCP at the Kales and it sure would have been nice to see non-homeless people enjoying the park. The Statler should also give Quicken decent visibility if Gilbert goes high enough.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1426
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

20 Statler
2 Hudson

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Det News Image

Somewhat off topic: maybe I'm just picky/eager to point out flaws, but this map from that article has a very curious choice of symbols. Most of Downtown is green, but there are some odd gray shapes, and then a smattering of random buildings (also note that the block adj to cadillac square is now full!). A few buildings are orange (Compuware, what looks like the lobby of the first national bldg, etc) Also bad mapping to show the "sites" in the same color as the existing buildings shown! Wierd!

Southen

Post Number: 228
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like a map they would have used for the Campus Martius master plan that they just decided to use for Quicken as well.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1428
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, that is weird. Ah well, just ignore it and pay attention to the point they're trying to attach with it.

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 574
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

21 Statler
2 Hudson

Planner_727

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, I'll make it

22 Statler
2 Hudson

The power/capital involved with Quicken (and hopefully others) makes the Statler site a MUST. Although the site is clear, the AAA building will need to be dealt with, parking is an issues (link to GCP won't cut it), and hopefully the size of this project can include the Tuller, Statler, and UA sites to really fix that hole up. THe Hudson is truly a development opportunity for a variety of service and retail business and office, with existing office workers nearby, residential units across the street, and a site that literally has the basement (and parking) already built.

(Message edited by Planner_727 on July 06, 2007)

Planner_727

Post Number: 121
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... oops ... (fixed)

The "hole" Hudsons has is large, but having a whole 1/4 of the grand circus park frame empty really gives that side of the park a very unpleasant feel. Just a people mover track and some gravel.

(Message edited by Planner_727 on July 06, 2007)

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Statler. Although Hudson's makes more sense on so many levels, Statler has the chance to make a bigger splash and that's what it seems Gilbert wants the most. Some things that will become distinct possibilities after Quicken's move is announced:

-- ePrize announcing its moving to downtown with Quicken

-- Creating a legit mass transit line, i.e. light rail, on Woodward will become a priority

-- Some of the dead skyscrapers, such as the UA and Whitney, being revived if it goes up at the Statler site

Gilbert could further maximize his publicity if he made the new building as environmentally friendly as possible. Regardless of what externalities come about from Quicken moving to downtown, it will make a splash comparable to Compuware's announcement of moving to downtown, especially with all of this built-up hype.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1429
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't Trolley Plaza have a big fat garage that's not fully in use? They could use that one and possibly build an underground one.

Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 89
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parking is something that needs a solution. There is not nearly enough in close proximity to either site. Just drive by our parking lots in Livonia, or our offices in Troy, Farmington Hills, or Laurel Park. These are GIANT parking lots filled to capacity. What we do at the headquarters in Livonia is rent out additional parking 1/2 mile away at Greenmead Park and run shuttle busses back and forth about 14 hours/day. I know that something along these lines will have to happen, too. A big structure would be built not far from the CBD with continual shuttle service.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 954
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070706/NEW S01/70706022/1003

"Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick and Livonia Mayor Jack Engebretson will exchange keys to their respective cities July 23 at a meeting of religious and political leaders to mark the 40th anniversary of the Detroit riot."

Ok, probably totally unrelated. Headline just caught my eye though since I have Quicken on the brain today.

Ganib_ganabs
Username: Ganib_ganabs

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they built tall and skinny on the Madison-Lenox site then they would get free advertising during Tiger games...

Urbanize

Post Number: 1431
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's nice. Thanks for the article.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1432
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ganib_ganabs, that's not one of the Chosen Sites. Very Good suggestion though. Maybe you should recommend it to Quicken or Gilbert.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 687
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet the Livonia key will be a fake so they can still keep the "Detroit people" out.

Tompage
Username: Tompage

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another Statler vote!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 956
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL they'll give the key but change the lock.

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1195
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another Statler vote here.

24 Statler
2 Hudson

Urbanize

Post Number: 1435
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

24 Statler
2 Hudson

Ganib_ganabs

Post Number: 57
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanize.... Who chose those two sites? Its sounded like speculation (still) on the the writer's part to play up his Illitch-Statler vs. Karmanos-Hudson's block theory. I know those are the two obvious sites though, and I vote Statler, for the fact they can built 50 stories and rent the rest out...

Urbanize

Post Number: 1436
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell ya what, I'll put you as other then If you prefer the Madison-Lenox site (remind you, owned by the Ilitches).

Urbanize

Post Number: 1437
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, as Ganib_ganabs states (which he's right) that these are only speculated sites, which site would you prefer. It would go under the "other" category. I will remove your vote from the Statler or Hudson choice as well.

(Most Likely Sites)
24 Statler
2 Hudson
(Other Sites)
1 Madison-Lenox

Ganib_ganabs

Post Number: 58
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think there is any parking opportunities at Madison-Lenox. I doubt anything will be built there, except for a parking garage, with first floor retail, of course.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 85
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Statler. The hudson site is kinda riding the compuware wave (even though theres nothing there).

Gilbert should want to make his OWN wave rather than ride compuware's, and i think he does. Some kinda light rail/ people mover extension would have to take place if they moved to the statler. New center is BUSSY during normal work days. And I bet some of them would like to move downtown easily after work or on lunch or for business.

Slider
Username: Slider

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I'd like to think it would end up on the Statler site, I just can't escape the notion that the underground parking on the Hudson site might just win out. Besides, I've always been one to root for the underdog, put me down for Hudsons.

Statler 24
Hudsons 3
(from my best calculations)

Urbanize

Post Number: 1438
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They could build a garage on the surface lot at Beaubien and Madison, but it will be a brief walk that I'm sure the workers aren't willing to take.

But really, which site would you prefer. It doesn't have to be of the 2.

(Most Likely Sites)
25 Statler
2 Hudson
(other)
1 Madison-Lenox

Quinn

Post Number: 1400
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think there's a possibility of Madison Lenox, and I would argue against it for many reasons.

I've always thought the PRIMO spot would be the monroe block.

It would make more sense to have a large office building there than on Statler (this is more residential now), PLUS Gilbert would have a foothold on Campus Martius and be right in the mix there.

So vote 1 for Monroe block please. ;)

Southen

Post Number: 229
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason Statler and Hudsons are mentioned are because the city owns them and those are the parcels they are dangling in front of Gilbert. I doubt Illitch would give Gilbert a sweet deal on ML like the city is going to give on either Statler or Hudsons.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1439
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Most Likely Sites)
25 Statler
3 Hudson
(other)
1 Madison-Lenox

Urbanize

Post Number: 1440
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Most Likely Sites)
25 Statler
3 Hudson
(other)
1 Madison-Lenox
1 Monroe Block

Johnlodge

Post Number: 958
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did Ganib really vote for madison lenox? Because a few posts later he said "i don't think anything will be built there". Confused.

Ganib_ganabs

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Put me down for the Statler, although Campus Martius Park flanked by Quicken on the the Monroe Block and Compuware, would almost complete the original vision for the development.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1441
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know. He attacked me when I said it wasn't a possible choice. But I see, he voted Statler.

(Most Likely Sites)
26 Statler
3 Hudson
(other)
1 Monroe Block

Andyguard73
Username: Andyguard73

Post Number: 240
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to clarify, are they talking about just the Statler Block, or is the "Statler site" really both the Statler and Tuller blocks?

Urbanize

Post Number: 1442
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most likely both. If that's the Tuller site next to the UA I'm looking st, wouldn't they have to cut off Bagley?

Urbanize

Post Number: 1443
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"With the Westin Book-Cadillac Hotel renovation moving ahead at the other end of Washington Boulevard and little else along there redeveloped, the Ilitches are anxious to see Gilbert on the Statler site, alongside their United Artists building they are co-marketing with the city-owned Statler site.

The Statler is smaller and likely would be more expensive to redevelop into a corporate headquarters. But its position on Grand Circus between Washington and Bagley would give Gilbert and Quicken the chance to be the kind of catalyst for change Compuware has been for Woodward and Campus Martius."

Never Mind. They're using the Statler site, not including the Tuller Site.

Mod
Username: Mod

Post Number: 110
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1 - JLA, once new arena site is built.

Dbest
Username: Dbest

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this happen's I will drive to Detroit from Indiana to show my support for what Quicken (Gilbert) is trying to do at the groundbreaking!

Like many of you out of state Im sure your friends are sick of hearing about all the speculation associated with the move and I will finally be able to share this victory for Detroit with them!

BTW, I'm in favor of the Statler site and seeing the UA alive again. Get it done MICHIGAN!

Urbanize

Post Number: 1444
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Most Likely Sites)
27 Statler
3 Hudson
(other)
1 Monroe Block

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3173
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Enough with the teaser stories. Just give us an announcement!

This is exciting no matter where they build.

If I were Gilbert I would like to stay away from the greasy Ilitches and their parking lot empire in that part of downtown, but I think building on the Statler site would have a huge impact, effectively stretching our CBD to the NW necklace of downtown where there are currently few daytime workers and few pedestrians. This would work wonders for GCP and Washington Blvd. I can't wait to see Woodward get filled in at the Hudson and Monroe blocks, but I think both will be filled within the decade regardless, and it will be sped up by Quicken's downtown move. So, therefore, I vote that it will be the Statler site. Of course, no one will be disappointed if they go for the Hudson block.

The skyline view from the north and northeast, and from Comerica Park, will change a lot with this, and the street-level ambience in GCP will also change alot for the better.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1446
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Most Likely Sites)
28 Statler
3 Hudson
(other)
1 Monroe Block

Well the other 25 people (including me) who wanted the Statler block to be chosen will be disappointed because it will just be a continued useless lot for years to come. However, the other 3 folks and you that wanted the Hudson Block will be very happy. Although us at the Statler will get over it just because it's economic opportunity in Downtown.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Put me down for the Statler site