Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detnews: Det close to snagging Quicken » Quicken Consolidated Archive » Archive through July 16, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 77
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vote: Statler. Modern.

A "glass tower" or whatever you want to call it, would be just fine with me. I see no harm in a modern looking, glass tower (that is well crafted, mind you) sitting on one corner of GCP, while kitty corner you have a 120-year old church (Central United Methodist). I see no shame in diversity and/or eclectic use of styles.

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1583
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Most Likely Sites)
42 Statler
4 Hudson
(other)
1 Monroe Block
1 United Artist
1 Fisher Building

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 330
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric: all I was saying is that is my preference; why such a condescending response. You don’t agree: great, that’s fine with me, none of us are making the final decision anyway.

Diggelicious
Username: Diggelicious

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i also would like .5 vote for statler and .5 vote for hudson. only to see urbanize go nuts.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 921
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

okay, okay. I wanted to keep this a secret, but I might as well tell you guys. I am Dan Gilbert. Yes, it's true. So, I will go with the Statler.

(Message edited by ray on July 08, 2007)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5768
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve,

You act as if there are only two prominent lots left to build on downtown, and that after building on one of them that downtown's revitalization is pretty much complete. We're only discussing these two lots, because they are the only two speculated to be home the future home of Quicken. There are plenty of prime vacant lots left downtown on which to building. Bringing Quicken downtown will be great, but it will hardly close to book on downtown. Downtown still has much room to grow and a very long way to go. Or, maybe I didn't understand you post.

(Message edited by lmichigan on July 08, 2007)

Ray

Post Number: 924
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you guys don't quit fighting, I will move Quicken to Brighton.

Dan

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5770
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could live if Dan moved it to Brighton, but please, oh please, don't move it to Howell. :-)

Ray

Post Number: 926
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Howell? Why didn't I think of that. Lmich, you are a genius.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moderator, would you please also switch my vote for the Statler site to a third of a vote for the Statler site, a third of a vote for Hudson site and a third of a vote for the parking lot between the Fox and State theaters.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1589
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See, didn't I tell you Imagining things and throwing stuff around is good because you never know who's lurking around, even Dan Gilbert? The deal is, I don't want to say you're a fake, but at the same time, I don't want to say you're the real Dan Gilbert.

Kslice
Username: Kslice

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hahaha.

They should move into the old Lee Plaza. Nice big building, nothing going on there, right on West Grand. Whats not to like?

They could get it for dirt cheap too. Good business decision:-)

Urbanize

Post Number: 1591
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Whats not to like?"

The Location and the fact that it's not a vacant lot.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Do you think when any of the great buildings of this city were being built they gave any consideration to matching neighborhoods historic look? No, the architects that we so admire wanted to be innovative and modern. Yet, you're advocating for a play-it-safe, blend in building. Nothing, built in that manner will ever make statement, it'll seem like a cheap knock off in comparison. We should absolutely strive for something that is modern and looks was built in the 21st century."

John Gallagher in the Free Press did an editorial on One Kennedy Square when it was completed. I think that your comment Eric echoes what he had said about One Kennedy Square, but that article seems to be missing from the internet. Similarly, this new building will need to be innovative and different to stand out. I think that we can come up with a Detroit style of architecture for Quicken's HQ.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3197
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Post modern or modern "glassy" is fine. As long as the building isn't an embarrassment and is 20+ stories, I'll be really pleased. Architectural contrast and diversity is a great thing. I am an avid preservationist and believe pre-WWII designs and construction are always superior, but our skyline, streetscape, and city itself can still be enhanced by good modernism or postmodernism. As long as the building employees durable, quality materials and is complementary to the street (not a fortress a la Ford Auditorium), modern design and construction can benefit the city. No one can sit here and say that every new building needs to be up to the standards of the Buhl or Penobscot because, literally, they don't build them like they used to, and I'd rather see just about anything built on some of our vacant downtown parcels than see them remain empty.

Just please no more green glass...

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I'd rather see something up to the standard of the Buhl or Penobscot than something that falls short while attempting to reach the status of those buildings. As long as you all don't let the Quicken HQ's exterior be EFIS (fake stucco used on every new high-rise here in charlotte), I think that I should be relatively content with whatever the appearance is.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't matter to me, but I want buildings that says our downtown isn't still stuck in the WWI/Great Depression era/60s.

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 08, 2007)

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah glass and steel are def. old school materials for high-rises.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 772
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Count on one thing. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Assuming he builds new, 50% of the folks will love it, 50% will hate it, and 50% could care less. (There's a statistical error in there somewhere.)

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's Brian to complain about the tax breaks?

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1851
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been thinking about where I'd personally prefer to see Quicken go, and it wasn't an easy decision, but I have to go with the Hudson's site.

Here is my thinking...

First, I think the development in Detroit is still too piecemeal. I'd like to see an area with sizeable investment already in place continue to build on critical mass. I think the best place for that is Woodward Avenue. The impact of Quicken on that area is to jumpstart loft projects and retail still in the planning stages, and move projects forward all up and down the street north of CM. (Although the stadium/theatre district area is the one other area with some critical mass and the Statler site would contribute to that, also, by encouraging infill between them.)

Second, the Hudson's block parking garage is a big gaping hole in the avenue that needs infill. It breaks the streetwall, and needs a major project to move it forward. And yes, while things can change quickly, there doesn't seem to be anything on the horizon at this point. Let's complete this area,

Lastly, It will have spin off in other ways. It certainly would help projects like the (cough) Broderick Tower move forward... so it could still impact GCP. It should also have an impact on Broadway and Capitol Park (and thus an impact indirectly on the Book Cadillac area and Washington Ave?).

I gotta go against the popular tide here, although I'd be excited with any location downtown.

1 vote for the Hudson's block.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1597
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 7:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Most Likely Sites)
42 Statler
5 Hudson
(other)
1 Monroe Block
1 United Artist
1 Fisher Building

Sheesh Llyn, I may as well left the score the same.

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 08, 2007)

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 395
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I motion that we officially close the voting and that Urbanize certify the vote and forward the tally to Quicken. ;-)

Urbanize

Post Number: 1599
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You sure can make some bad motions then Emu_Steve.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4766
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul, I think that you and I would like to see something of the caliber of Quinn's Photoshop pic of that New York City building (the 1st pic on this thread). It's modern, and appears to be made of quality materials... and yet has that "Hudson's on steroids" look to it! :-)

3WC...LOL... yeah there will always be folks who love/hate whatever is built. But I think that at least 80%-90% of the folks on this forum liked Griswold Place, the new parking structure/condos on top building next to the Book Cadillac.

Those that didn't were more than likely architectural students or architects who deride anything that remotely looks old as "pastiche" or "Disneyland". They can't help it, the professors of architecture at schools around the country pound it into their brains that old and ornamental are bad and bold and innovative are good. Oh well...

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 112
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gistock
we have had this conversation before and i take offense to your GROSS oversimplification of what you believe architecture students are taught of architecture at a university level. no one is opposed to "old and ornamental", but it IS NO LONGER DONE. people aren't willing to invest in decoration of that caliber. all the decoration and ornament you see today is make of EFIS and zeebrick. yes that is styrofoam sprayed with concrete or stucco then painted. nothing is solid stone or granite. if you would, the challenge of an architect today is to design a building that would evoke that same kind of emotion or awe with materials and methods that are more practical to the market. and it is done. calatrava and ando have done it very well, but not in your sense. i don't think you are an uninformed individual, but you have to wake up and realize that your architecture of nostalgia is no longer built in that form. all we can hope for is enough interest in preserving our precious landmarks of past generations.

Gistok

Post Number: 4767
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes I know we've gone thru this before Hybridy, and there was no offense intended. But I tend think that just as the Post Modern style was a reaction against the International style, I think that at some point in the future things may change again.

Someone just recently (from NYC) posted on a Non-Detroit Issues thread titled "Terra Cotta" about how easy it is to make terra cotta, and even showed some wonderful examples of terra cotta ornamentation that he made (quite cheaply, cost wise, as it turns out)... and yet all we hear about is how expensive it is or how it's a lost art form.

And of course we have Pewabic Pottery who after Mary Chase Perry Stratton's death in the 1960's, rediscovered many of there secret glazes for pottery, and produce a lot of beautiful ornamentation for the exterior as well as interior of buildings.

Even fancy metalwork... there's a fellow who posts here as METALDOCTOR who has made some wonderful works of art for patrons demanding the best in art and architecture of nearly forgotten art of metalcraft.

My point is just because university professors have given up on the melding of the different artforms with the "less is more approach" (lack of ornamental sculpture, glasswork, pottery, etc)... doesn't necessarily make it so.

Charles Prince of Wales said it so succinctly:

"Throughout history, our ancestors have derived their inspiration from the infinite richness of the natural world. Architecture ever since the Greeks has witnessed a succession of revivals and ideas gleaned from the past. Our age is the first to have seen fit to abandon the past, or to deny its relevance and the lessons learned over thousands of years. It is the first to have despised the principles of methematical harmony and proportion and to have embarked on a course which glorifies the triumph of science and man's dominance over nature."

I do realize that I am in the minority on this topic, and I'm not trying to sway opinion. It's just that not all ornamentation is made of cheap styrofoam painted over to look real.

(Message edited by Gistok on July 08, 2007)

(Message edited by Gistok on July 09, 2007)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3202
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That would be the ultimate...if Pewabic tile was integrated into the HQ building.

Gistok

Post Number: 4769
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be nice... but I doubt that any old style building will be built for the Quicken HQ.

I just reread Prince Charles' A VISION OF BRITAIN - A PERSONAL VIEW OF ARCHITECTURE... and each time I do so, I go off on a rant... :-)

But if someone high up at Quicken does read all of our rantings, then maybe some ideas will be put into their heads... doubtful... but ya never know!

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1863
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Meanwhile, over at Quicken, Dan Gilbert is reading all of this and laughing hysterically, while perusing the architect's rendering of his new larva-shaped HQ building (resembling one of those suburban indoor golf centers), to be built out of high-tech, white, Hefty bags.

Architect's rendering:

larva

Wouldn't this look great on the Statler site?

Urbanize

Post Number: 1619
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*Cough-Cough, Gag-Gag* Yeah, it would look Wonderful on the Statler Site in Howell *Cough-Cough, Gag-Gag*.

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a hybrid ( all the rage? ).... by that I mean the first 10 stories or so of park frontage could be an art deco or other more traditional style on the park to make it more complete area, and then the tall tower portion set back (similar to photoshop idea above) that can be glass or somthing with more glass to set it apart from the other buildings. And the part on the part can be a modern twist on art deco, with maybe a 6 or 10 sotry atrium in the center that has a glass front and roof that slices through the center. What a fun thread!

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1301
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah that photoshop pic is not at all what I had in mind Gistok as that would def. lend itself to an all EFIS facade. I do however enjoy Planner_727's suggestion. Maybe a facade at the ground level that blends with Grand Circus with a taller building above/behind that that could do its own thing.

Gistok

Post Number: 4788
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After looking at Mikem's old Washington Blvd. map on the Trolley Plaza thread, it appears that Michigan Building owner Anthony Pieroni's AAA Building on the Statler block is more important to a Quicken on the Statler site development than we had imagined. Check it out:

Just SW of the AAA Building the People Mover crosses the Statler block heading south.

I do believe that Mr. Pieroni is an important player in this development, if the Statler site is the one chosen.

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 333
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hypothetically, let us say that Quicken chooses the Statler site and brings ePrize and Fathead to a renovated UA building (a dream). How tall do we suspect the building would have to be to house 5,000? On the other hand, will Gilbert speculate for a future need for 6,000 or so employees? What is a reasonable height (stories) we are looking at on this site and is it feasible to build something similar to the Greektown Casino with 10 stories or so of parking and the rest for office.

Planner_727

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think anyone has mentioned the need for any lower-floors parking to not go all the way through to GCP. Having offices in th first several floors really brings the building and park area together strongly... that was an emphasis in the one kennedy square building as well (underground parking, but prime offices were fronting on CMP lower floors).

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 334
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, so say they build offices facing the front of the park with parking in the back: still how tall are we talking here? (again in stories)

Urbanize

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anythnig, he WILL bring Fathead with him and try to get the bigger investors of ePrize to come with him. The building will likely have to be as tall as the BCBS building, if not as tall as 1001 Woodward.

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 335
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A 25 story building will not be too bad on that site considering the Statler was 16. However, I thought it would be more like 35 considering the small footprint and parking...but oh well, I guess too much height could be a bad thing.

Rfban
Username: Rfban

Post Number: 133
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^especially on such a beautiful park.

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 336
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rfban: Agreed, because as much as I would love to see Detroit get some height, we need to think about what is appropriate for the site (again, hypothetically assuming it is the choice). Yes, a 45 story tower that included Quicken, Fathead, ePrize and maybe another small company could be great, however, I would be completely satisfied, if not more, with a 25-30 story Quicken and a remodel UA (with a possible hope for a 20 story residential/parking structure on the Tuller site; of course with the parking in the back.

Southen
Username: Southen

Post Number: 233
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tough to speculate how tall the building will be until we find out what location and how many employees he will be bringing with him. 25 storys at Statler would be great, but I disagree that too much height would be a bad thing. I think it would really add to GCP to have a very tall building anchoring that end and anchoring Washington Boulevard. With that said I wouldnt mind something shorter if it involved the development of the UA and Tuller site.

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 337
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is hoping that as close to 5,000 as possible make the move so that we can speculate future how tall this tower will need to be; however to continue on this speculation trend - Gilbert mentioned brining more people with him and we have identified Fathead and ePrize, but what are some other possibilities for companies that could join him in the move? If he could bring more with him than a big project is feasible. Any thoughts? (Suburbs or out of state)

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkelly, I guarantee you that not even close to 5000 people are coming down. There are about 4000 employees in Michigan. I highly doubt all 4 of the in-state call centers will relocate away from the suburbs. There will probably be a good number of employees working out there still.

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 338
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kid_dynamite: What would you speculate then? 2,500?

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 107
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd say that's a good number. Obviously, thats based on pure speculation. I dont know how many employees work for Eprize, Fathead, and Titlesource, though.

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 339
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Compared to the Compuware move, how many did they move down (hoe many work at Compuware now?

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 642
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would like to see a building like the key tower in cleveland.. Not the same design of course.. but it has an art deco deal to it.. and it integrates into the existing architecture..

http://www.clevelandskyscraper s.com/cleveland/keytower.jpg

Very cool building.. a combination of new and old..

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1313
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Underground parking is at least four times the cost of above grade. That might be a reason to vote for the Hudsons site, because you know that at least a good portion of it would be below grade.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 528
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Compuware has 4,000 office workers downtown

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3234
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dom, I agree it's nice, especially for Ohio, but it is the tallest midwestern building outside of Chicago, I believe. We'd be happy with a building the height of its neighbor there.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1402
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dom I agree. I love that tower, but it's not going to be anything near that. Still I persevere with photoshops showing 60-story buildings. Might as well dream.

Back to reality:

I'd bet on 20-25 stories, max.

(Message edited by quinn on July 11, 2007)

Apbest
Username: Apbest

Post Number: 578
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would go as far as 30, absolute max

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 341
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 10:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is hoping that they build conscious of their projected growth (which I assume they will), thus justifying a 20-30 story building.

Gistok

Post Number: 4801
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...which means that the Hudson's site is out of the question! :-) (Can't hold more than 15 stories upon the underground parking structure)

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paraphrasing the blurb in the "Rumblings" section of this week's Crain’s ....

"NEVER MAKE YOUR MOVE TOO SOON"

Quicken Near Detroit Move," read in the Page 1 Story in Friday's Detroit News....hmm. Maybe Not so fast. According to Elizabeth Jones, vice president of communications for Livonia based Quicken Loans Inc, "there is nothing new" regarding a possible move of the company’s headquarters to downtown Detroit...", also she says "as you know, folks have been projecting that an announcement is 'imminent' for over a year."

Gistok

Post Number: 4803
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe she didn't hear Dan Gilbert say "who's coming with me?" :-)

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 1146
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They need to make it appear publically that no deal is done. Same as Chauncey Billups getting re-signed. I'm sure the deal was done when it was first leaked, but his agent's job was to say "NO WAI, NO DEAL!!11!"

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1260
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crains just put out a blurb about a riverfront site being pitched for the new headquarters.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 744
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Link? The only place that I would want to see them on the riverfront is the JLA location...assuming there would be some sort of reconfiguration of the Lodge so the HQ would be connected to the rest of the financial district.

Tetsua

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 9:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For some reason the link is just showing code when you click it (like it does every Sunday). It should be viewable by tomorrow.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0716/SUB/707150317/-1/newslett er02

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 747
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Noooooo! NOT on the riverfront. That is the last location in Detroit that needs a big corporate headquarters. Statler or Hudsons.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1789
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tetsua, just curious, are you a Crain's subscriber? I also get the Crain's update every Sunday evening, but it's annoying because whenever you click on any of the links, it just brings up that generic login page. The links don't start working until Monday. And I'm a paid subscriber, but my username & password don't work on this page. I've been meaning to complain to Crain's about it, but haven't gotten around to it, so I'll gripe here instead... ;)

Tetsua

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm also a paid subscriber, but I just get a page of code when I click on the links on Sundays.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 388
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not a member, but I can't find any blurps about it on the rest of the site.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 2661
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Crain's needs some more quality control on their website?

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1790
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whether you see a page of code or the generic login page probably just depends on your browser. (The generic login page I see just has a "Username:" and "Password:" input fields, and a "Log in" button, and nothing else, no text or graphics. And my login doesn't work there, but it does work on the Crain's homepage.)

My guess is that they email out the article preview on Sunday evening, but they don't actually make the articles available on the website until Monday morning. Thus, it screws up when you try to click on the links in the email on Sunday night. Alright, I'll have to send an email complaint.

Back to the topic at hand... Um, I agree that a site on the riverfront would not do as much for downtown as either the Statler or Hudson's sites, since there's not nearly as much urban fabric to rejuvenate over there, and it's not as centrally located. It might not be terrible either, though, I suppose they want to look at all their options.

3rdworldcity
Username: 3rdworldcity

Post Number: 787
Posted on Sunday, July 15, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're just trying to intimidate the hold-out landowners.

(And Crains has the worst website around. I had the same kind of problems mentioned above for so long I didn't renew. They don't care. Neither do I. Don't miss it at all)

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3984
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their authentication must be down. I subscribe and my login, which I use a lot, is not working.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 411
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 4:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article is up.

Quicken isn't going up at the riverfront.

Nothing has changed

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5801
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 5:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A new piece of news in that article is the two different sizes of the potential development depending on whether this is a stand-alone headquarters or the anchor for a signature and speculative office building. As has been mentioned before, if even they went with the 1.5 million square feet option the development could go either the way of skyscrapers (1 million square foot One Detroit Center) or a mid-rise (2 million+ square foot Compuware). I'm suspecting something in between with the weak/soft office market, and all, unless Gilbert has lined up, or is lining up, non-Quicken-affiliated companies to perhaps buy into the idea of a signature tower.

Tkelly1986

Post Number: 351
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMichigan: I thought One Detroit was around 1.5 mil and Compuware was at 1 mil? Or am I just misreading your response and you were just saying they could go with a million sq feet sky scraper and 2 million sq feet buildings compuware height?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1615
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tkelley:

You are correct...Comerica Tower is about 1.6m sf and Compuware is about 1.1m sf...

I'm not sure what Lmich is talking about...

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1616
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw these two blurbs in Crain's from a week that make it sound like a move is not imminent...

Never make your move too soon

“Quicken Near Detroit Move,” read in the Page 1 story in Friday’s Detroit News. The headline on the front page of the business section read: “Detroit Close To Snagging Quicken HQ.”

Hmm. Maybe not so fast. According to Elizabeth Jones, vice president of communications for Livonia-based Quicken Loans Inc., which operates as Rock Financial in the Michigan market, “there is nothing new” regarding a possible move of the company’s headquarters to downtown Detroit.

Jones said the story “doesn’t mean any timeline has been set for a decision. As you know, folks have been projecting that an announcement is ‘imminent’ for over a year.”

Stay tuned.

and this one...

Sparkling-Image of Southeast Michigan, a Southfield restroom-cleaning company, has installed Hyso Automatic Door Handle Sanititzers in the bathrooms at Quicken Loans offices in Livonia, Auburn Hills, and Troy. The programmable sanitizer mounts above door handles and automatically sprays the handles with a hospital-grade disinfectant.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 893
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The point being on the second blurb? Regardless if Quicken moves or not, they won't be moving immediately. The second blurb has more to do with the spreading of germs than Quicken moving (or not moving) to Detroit.

(Message edited by upinottawa on July 16, 2007)

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 30
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To add to the speculation.... there was a crane and workers again this morning at the United Artists Building.... a couple weeks ago they were raising giant crates to the roof top.... didn't have time to pay attention to what they were getting ready to do today, had to get to work.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"They're just trying to intimidate the hold-out landowners."

If that's the case, then it seems all arrows are pointing toward the Statler site. Add in this paragraph about Jackson and it seems even more likely.

quote:

George Jackson Jr., president of Detroit Economic Growth Corp., acknowledged that Quicken had been approached about the riverfront site, but he predicted that Gilbert would prefer a location not in the shadow of a major corporation. “He is talking about making a "transformational' move,” Jackson said.

Thejesus: Don't put too much faith into what PR spokespeople say publicly. They are not the ones making the decision and are often kept largely out of the loop until just before announcement time.

Planner_727

Post Number: 131
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, per the crain's article, how many stories would a building with 500,000 - 1,500,000 square feet of office space be with parking? The footprint of the Statler block is 75,000 s.f., if you assunmed 1/3 of the floor area for parking, 50,000 offices per floor, that would be 10-30 stories... I wonder if they would try to distrbute that across the UA/Tuller site too?