Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » ::: Detroit Schools Mega Thread ::: » East side Detroit Catholic school history » Archive through June 18, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lmr
Username: Lmr

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is my first posting here. I grew up in Wyandotte and attended St. Joseph's grade school there, then Gabriel Richard High School and Wayne State University. I've lived in Minnesota 23+ years. I don't get back to Michigan a lot, just once every few years.

Regarding Guardian Angels school, my aunt and her sister graduated from high school there, so I know they definitely did have a high school. They would have graduated in the late 1930's.

My mother (who was a Cass Tech grad herself) and I attended the funeral for my aunt's mother during my Christmas vacation from school at Christmas of 1975 (my senior year of high school). My aunt's mother lived on Mapleridge near Gratiot, and she was a long time member of Guardian Angels. The funeral was at Guardian Angels church, and it seems to me that the high school was still operating at that time, although I am sure it would have closed shortly after so the 1976 closing date that someone else listed seems correct to me.

Regarding the other person's comment about people being abused by pedophile priests, since I started Catholic schools in 1963 and finished in 1976 you would think I would know a bunch of people who claim to have been molested since I was in school during the time frame that a lot of that went on. Wrong. The number is zero. I've atteneded most of my high school reunions and I've never heard one person make that claim. I went to a regional high school and we had people who attended many different elementary schools, but not one that I know of has claimed being molested. Or abused by the nuns. Not that I doubt everyone's molestation claims, I think some of them are true, but I also think the problem was much less widespread than many would have you believe.

Genius
Username: Genius

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"St. Catherines is at Seminole and Sylvester, east of Van Dyke and south of Forest."

Just to add to this, St. Edward combined with St. Catherine in the late 60's. After this, the parish usually went by the dual name of St. Catherine-St. Edward Parish until it closed in 1990. The church was reestablished that year as SS. Augustine & Monica Parish, which is still open.

Swiburn
Username: Swiburn

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I believe that Annunciation has closed, too. (Parkview and Jefferson)
The late WJR's J.P. Maccarthy went to school there-(elementary)

Genius
Username: Genius

Post Number: 25
Posted on Thursday, March 22, 2007 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And I believe that Annunciation has closed, too."

No, the parish is still open under a different name. When St. Anthony closed last year, it combined with Annunciation/Our Lady of Sorrows and was renamed Good Shepherd Parish.

Four other Detroit parishes were also shuttered in 2006: St. Brendan, Guardian Angels, Martyrs of Uganda and Our Lady Help of Christians. In addition, St. Gerard and Immaculate Heart of Mary combined to form Corpus Christi Parish.

Swiburn

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, March 23, 2007 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Genius. I will check it out on the Archdiocese Website. There used to be a separate Corpus Christi Parish in Detroit; I guess that St. Gerard and IHM moved into the building, also.

I imagine that these churches lost their membership due to the ten or so East side factories closing in the l950s.

Maxcarey
Username: Maxcarey

Post Number: 65
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed that Ascension parish (8 mile and Van Dyke) in Warren has announced its "final mass" in June. Nice way of saying that they are closing as they merge with St. Clement.

http://www.ascensionwarren.org /parish_news.htm

Are there any others, especially in Detroit, that are quietly planning something similar?

Swiburn

Post Number: 82
Posted on Saturday, March 24, 2007 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maxcarey, I'm sure there will be future Detroit church closings. As to another thread re: church schools, the lack of teaching nuns is probably the biggest reason for Catholic schools in the U.S. closing. The church simply couldn't afford to pay for lay teachers. Enrollment was dropping off way before charter schools.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen, I have a family photo of a funeral gathering in front of San Francesco in 1925. Since this is a discussion of schools, not churches, perhaps you could direct me to an appropriate forum to post it? It was a massive church!

Maxcarey

Post Number: 70
Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside. I, for one, don't mind discussion of the churches/parishes from this era.

Mortalman
Username: Mortalman

Posted on Sunday, March 25, 2007 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all. I have been lurking for some time now and decided to jump in. I am new to the Forums and this seemed a good place to start since I am Polish and Catholic hailing from the east side.

Maxcarey

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome! What parish?

Swiburn

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedame, welcome. As for Detroit Catholic schools and churches, for many years, Detroit's Catholicism and history were one and the same.
There were French masses said in Detroit until the l970s. Detroit's two French churches were Ste. Anne (west side) and St. Joachim (east side).

As to San Francesco, it was torn down for urban renewal and the congregation moved to Macomb County, I believe.

Mortalman

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OLHoC

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2134
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedame: It's not my call. I'm not a forum moderator. Sorry if you took my post in the AIA thread that way. Seeing that you are new to the Forum, was just trying to be helpful and making sure you were aware of the previous discussion on the topic.

Certainly you should feel free to post the photo in this thread if you think it adds to the discussion, or start a new thread on Lost Detroit Catholic Churches, and others can share their photos or links to photos or past Forum discussions, etc.

Mortalman

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, March 26, 2007 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedame, I hope you do post that 1925 photo of the funeral as I am very interested in seeing it.

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, here it is, a very sad chapter in my family's history. This is the funeral of my biological grandfather, Amando Gubiotti in October 1925 in front of San Francesco Church. He was killed at Ford in an industrial accident. My grandmother is the one in the veil. She is 18 years old and six months pregnant with my mom.

The plaque at the top reads: D.O.M., Et Seraphico Francisco, A.D. 1898. The photographers mark in blue at the lower left reads: M. Valente, 3429 Chene Street, Detroit. The full size photo, which was too large to upload is amazing. You can even see the bricks in the street.

Nanna made an appointment to see Henry Ford (pre-union, no workmen's comp, you were SOL), and in his benevolence, gave her a job on the punch-press! That's right...people with no fingers. Fortunately, she kept hers. We never bought a Ford because of that.

However, it was there that she met the man I knew as my grandfather and they became serious union activists.

I remarked to my mom yesterday, that the church looked so huge! She told me that it was the only church in the area for many years that had Italian-speaking priests. I was baptized there, as were many of my cousins. People were very, very upset when the freeways went in; entire neighborhoods were torn apart, like this grand old church. People walked the streets literally weeping for weeks as brick by brick, they tore down everything in the freeway's path. Police dragging old people out of their homes...it makes me sick to think about it. She says it was 1000 times worse than Poletown, because it was more than one neighborhood. Polish, Italian, Black...so many people were affected.

Hey, mortalman, Jak sie masz? I'm Polish on my dad's side.

1925 Funeral at San Francesco Church

Kathleen

Post Number: 2139
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 7:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My father-in-law's family was uprooted from their French Rd. home due to the freeway going through. He was baptized at San Francesco Church c.1928. Recently my husband and I went over to the neighborhood and took photos of the firehouse at French Rd. and Shoemaker where my father-in-law and his neighborhood buddies used to hang out there.

Swiburn

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I started this thread on East Side Catholic churches and any and all family information that you want to share really adds to my knowledge of Detroit. Closed churches are a big part of the Detroit Catholic story, so feel free to show photos, etc. I don't think we need a subset of "Lost Catholic Churches," though I like Kathleen's title!

Maxcarey

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kathleen -

What was your father-in-law's name? My mother and her family lived three doors away from the firehouse. Their name was Simonelli. My grandfather worked at the DSR on Shoemaker and St. Jean. My mom went to Hutchinson and were part of St. Margaret Mary Parish.

My great uncle and his parents also lived further down on French closer to Harper. Last name is Ciranna.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2142
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The family name is Marcaccio. I know that both San Francesco and St. Margaret Mary played a role in the boys' upbringing.

Swiburn: I think the question came up because your thread title mentions schools, not churches. But within the Catholic Church history, the two are so intertwined that it is hardly possible to discuss one without the other.

Swiburn

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Absolutely, Kathleen. The Catholic church and schools are practically one and the same, since attendance at the school was practically mandatory for children in the parish.
Also in the early l950s, Detroit was about 50% Catholic, 75% if you count only the Caucasian population of the city. Most of the city's mayors were Catholic, also.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 759
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And most of the police and firemen.

By the way, there will be reunion for all the St. Martin neighborhood on September 8, 2007. They have a website:
www.geocities.com/stmartins65/ sm65

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GA was and St Brendans...I live two houses away from the border on wayburn...my best friend went to St. B and I went to GA...However, since Brendan's was closer I would walk to it for Saturday evening mass...that was a the greatest inventionfor Detroit teens, since I could go out afterwards with my buddies and sleep in late Sunday...My mom would go to Church on Saturday and when I got back from NMU between semesters would wake me up and get to church after making the drive from Marquette...I would be almost in a coma, but I sure respected her wishes...:}...Still have a smile on my face when I saw my old Nuns from GA enjoying a beer on ST Pats day at a pub on whitter prior to returning to teaching in the afternoon....I did have flashbacks of the ruler though.

Mortalman

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, March 27, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dobzia, Eastsidedame! I would love to see the larger version of the photo if you would email it to me at gregoli at earthlink dot net. Thanks.

Maxcarey

Post Number: 84
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some pictures of St. Brendan's since it was mentioned and also bumping the thread:

School:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=457124711&size=l

Church:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=457124623&size=l

School #2:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=457124659&size=l

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 186
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks the same/// Thanks ...the book mobile used to come on tuesday nights near the parkinglot...used to go across the street to play basketball at the Baptist Church ...basketball, Bible study then ice cream... Played softball across the street and at Carlton Elementary (went to K ) there ...before attending GA for 1-8...on to Arthur then to Denby... Used to buy comics at store kitty corner from St. Brendans//// Thank you MAx...

Maxcarey

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, April 12, 2007 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gibran

Glad you liked the shots. Here's a few more:

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=457215094&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=457215098&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=457215136&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=457215146&size=l

Eastsidedame

Post Number: 95
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mortalman: You should have gotten the photo by now. Let me know if you haven't.

Swiburn

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, April 13, 2007 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm just speculating, but did many of these newer east side Catholic churches like St. Brendan's close when the city residency rules were dismissed? I know that a lot of police and fire fighters sent their kids to the parochial schools, and then when the rules were changed, they simply moved away.

Pinkey
Username: Pinkey

Posted on Sunday, April 15, 2007 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have a list of alumni for St. Rose's class of 1944?

(Message edited by Pinkey on April 15, 2007)

Swiburn

Post Number: 106
Posted on Monday, April 16, 2007 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pinkey: You might try the Archdiocese of Detroit office on Washington Blvd, between St. Aloysius Church and the Book Cadillac. They have a separate schools department that may be able to help you.

Miket
Username: Miket

Posted on Wednesday, May 02, 2007 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello all.I attended St Louis The King in the 60's and early 70's.I lived behind the nuns convent on Dwyer.I was an alter boy etc.Many
memories from that time.Will post more as time
allows.

Swiburn

Post Number: 118
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 10:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Maxcarey, for all your photos. The closed schools photos are depressing, however. Too bad we can't spend some of that 2 billion a week that we put into Iraq into the Catholic schools here. I think we should close the charters and put money into the Catholic schools for better value for our dollar. Canada pays for the Catholic schools and they seem to have more religious tolerance than we do.

Maxcarey

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are welcome Swiburn, this locations and pictures are a growing hobby. Here are some shots of what is left of St. Rose on Kercheval and St. Jean. Its good to see the old building put to use. This time, by the Detroit Enterprise Academy. St. Rose High closed in 1972, the Elementary School in 1971.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=489091467&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=489091461&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=489091501&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=489091481&size=l

Maxcarey

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, May 07, 2007 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You are welcome Swiburn, these locations and pictures are a growing hobby. Here are some shots of what is left of St. Rose on Kercheval and St. Jean. Its good to see the old building put to use. This time, by the Detroit Enterprise Academy. St. Rose High closed in 1972, the Elementary School in 1971.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=489091467&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=489091461&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=489091501&size=l

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zo om.gne?id=489091481&size=l

Swiburn

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, maxcarey, for the wonderfully framed photos! I am glad that the school is being tended so carefully. Other Catholic schools, though turned into charter schools, don't look nearly so good.
And I loved that you captured the l920 cornerstone.

Willmess01
Username: Willmess01

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, May 08, 2007 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maxcarey,
I have a "Sonicwall" with the Flickr site. Is there anyway I could bother you to email me the St Brendan pics?
Many fond memories of going there from late 80's to early 90's.

Thanks!
bmessina01@hotmail.com

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any other St. Ambrose High grads out there? I'm from the class of 1969.
jddelaney@wowway.com

(Message edited by Newport1128 on May 22, 2007)

Newport1128

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Ambrose - Back in February, there was a post stating that the new ARC social center at St. Ambrose was built on the basement of the old school. This is incorrect. The old school, built in 1919 and originally housing grades 1-12, was on Hampton between Alter Road and Wayburn. After it was torn down, the space was turned into a parking lot. The ARC was built underneath Wayburn Street, which is between the old school site and the church. The City of Grosse Pointe Park gave permission to close a section of Wayburn west of Jefferson permanently, so that the ARC could be built underground and the ground-level area turned into a plaza. During excavation for the ARC, they found the old tunnel which connected the church and school, and it reportedly had lots of old school desks and other paraphernalia in it.

St. Ambrose was unique in that half of the parish buildings were in Detroit and the rest were in Grosse Pointe. The "new" elementary school (1965), high school and convent were in Detroit, while the church, rectory and social hall were in Grosse Pointe. The elementary is now a charter school, the convent is a halfway house, and the parish hall (the original 1917 church) was torn down and replaced with yet another parking lot. The church and rectory are still in active use. The church has been renovated and is beautiful inside. I attended St. Ambrose school for grades 1-12, and still go back to the church for Mass occasionally.

Audioswhite
Username: Audioswhite

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, May 29, 2007 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That makes sense; I confused the tunnel and school basement. The tunnel was no secret to us 7th and 8th graders at the elementary in the late 70's. It still had all the cool fall out shelter stuff in it (We would walk across the street and use the science labs in the old high school for science class). We would also walk all the way over to the original church building for gym and basketball games.

Was in town visiting family over the holiday weekend and had a chance to go to Mass and enjoy coffee and cookies in the ARC.

Newport1128

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 6:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Audioswhite, there is now a St.Ambrose thread, if you would care to join us. All former Cavaliers and Ambrosians are welcome!

Ron_saad
Username: Ron_saad

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, May 30, 2007 - 6:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GO CADETS

Swiburn

Post Number: 150
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If there are any former West side Catholic students, I'd be happy to hear about their experiences.

Lmr

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding West side Catholic students, my mother had many friends who went to Holy Redeemer back in the 1930's, some of them are still alive. At that time the elementary school was taught by nuns and the high schools were taught by Redemptorist Brothers. The Brothers apparently weren't afraid to flunk people. My mother and apparently most of her Pearl St. neighbors regarded Holy Redeemer as an extremely tough school to graduate from. If I remember correctly from reading some Redeemer history, the Brothers stopped teaching at Redeemer shortly after WW II...I know the Redemptorist order remained at Redeemer for a long time after that, I am just referring to the Brothers teaching in the high school.

At the time my mother's neighborhood near Woodmere Cemetery was full of immigrants from all over Europe (most of them born before 1900), and their children who were mostly US born and are in their 80's now.

I also know of a couple people who went to St. Cunegunda and All Saints. They are much younger, 50-ish now.

Swiburn

Post Number: 151
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Lmr. I also read that there extra streetcars were ordered up to take people to Tuesday novenas at Holy Redeemer in the l920s. The bell tower, as you probably know, is a memorial to soldiers of the parish who died in WW I.
After WWII, Holy Redeemer was one of the biggest parishes in the United States.

Lmr

Post Number: 44
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I know about the bell tower at Holy Redeemer. I didn't know about the extra streetcars but I'm not surprized that they would have extra streetcars for Novenas, that church was just a huge parish. I think back in the 1930's Redeemer had the boys and girls in separate classes in the high school, but not the grade school.

I looked at a map a while ago and it appeared that All Saints has torn down the school building, unless I read the map wrong. That suprised me a bit because I always thought All Saints school building looked to be in good shape and not as old as some others.

I went to Catholic school in Wyandotte and Riverview, which is a lot farther out than what you're thinking of, but there were quite a few people from Southwest Detroit who moved Downriver as the city emptied out and in the 1970's my high school in Riverview had several people who had gone to elementary school within the city, hence that's how I know some All Saints and St. Cunegunda alumni.

Maxcarey

Post Number: 111
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmr

Did you go to Mt. Carmel and/or Gabriel Richard?

Lmr

Post Number: 48
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gabriel Richard. Graduated in 1976. Lived in Wyandotte, closer actually to Mt. Carmel than GR. Went to St. Joseph's in Wyandotte for 1st through 6th grade, then continued there for 7th and 8th grade when they converted it to Wyandotte Catholic Consolidated School in 1970.

Newport1128

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody remember St. Edward church and school? I think it was at Charlevoix and Crane on the east side. The church was in the basement of the school. I went there for 2 years (1961-62 and 1962-63). Actually, I attended St. Ambrose, but it was so overcrowded, they bused the 4th and 5th graders to St. Edward.

Margaret
Username: Margaret

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey I'm on this thread, too...oh yes being bused to St. Edward's was memorable. Newport, your memory is so sharp and clear compared to mine! I completely forgot about their church being in the basement of the school. mostly I remember the big Detroit buses we went to St. Edward's in, and how it felt a bit dangerous going into that part of the city, right? sometimes I got sick in fourth grade with migraine headaches and had to take a taxi home. so, "Newport," you must be like me, all 12 years at St. Ambrose? are we scarred for life or what? big giggle at you. Did you used to wish you could change high schools, and get a fresh start?

Newport1128

Post Number: 46
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Margaret (aka Maggie), I heard that the pastor at St. Edward, Fr. Kirby, was a cousin of Fr. VanAntwerp, so that's why they hooked the two schools together. Fr. Sirianni, who was the assistant at St. Edward is still alive. He is now "in residence" at St. Peter in Mt. Clemens and assists with Masses on weekends. He just celebrated his 64th(?) anniversary of his ordination. We had Sister Emmett Marie in 5th grade and the dreaded Sister Catherine John (we called her CJ)in 6th grade. I remember we had a split 4th/5th grade class with 52 kids in one room. No wonder those nuns were so mean! My cheeks are still stretched-out from being picked up out of my seat by CJ.
I don't remember wishing I could change schools. I do remember when we got kids transferred in from public schools, especially in high school, the girls always seemed so...how shall I say...exotic? But after teaching in public high school for most of my career, I can safely say we were a bunch of angels compared to the kids nowadays!

Karen8824
Username: Karen8824

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, June 08, 2007 - 5:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to St. Jude..... graduating there in 1976.I had great times at that school. I would walk home for lunch or walk to my girlfriends house to pick her up after her lunch.. the freedom we used to have.

Swiburn

Post Number: 154
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Edward's was at Crane and Colb. It closed in l969, but the population dwindled starting in the early l960s.
Thanks, Margaret, for adding to my knowledge of these churches!
Anybody know about St. Philip Neri? Located at Charlevoix and Dickerson.

Newport1128

Post Number: 53
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Roman Godzak's "Catholic Churches of Detroit" (p.117): St. Philip Neri, on Charlevoix and Dickerson, north of Jefferson Avenue, was founded in 1927. Arthur Des Rosiers designed this permanent church in 1955. The area around St. Philip Neri suffered from years of decline and neglect until the parish closed in June of 1989. After closing, the former church served briefly as a community food depot."

Audioswhite
Username: Audioswhite

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St. Martin also closed in 1989 was run for the last few years by the parish council which brought priests in to celebrate Mass. Fr. Walker of St. Phillip often said Mass for St. Martin (as well as Fr. Pelk of St Ambrose), so we got to know him well and become fond of him and close with the St. Phillip Parish. St Phillip was very active in its community till the end. The Parish started the "food depot" and worked hard to minister to all of its neighbors.

Ron_saad
Username: Ron_saad

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

St Martin school closed in 1970(High School) I was the last graduating class

Newport1128

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The cornerstone from St. Ambrose High, which reads "A.D. 1919", has been preserved and is displayed on the plaza next to the church. There is also a statue there, about 4 ft. high, supposedly of St. Ambrose, although I don't remember it being on or in the old school building.

Swiburn

Post Number: 160
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another east side Catholic school question: Has anyone heard of Austin High? When did it close? Was it a boys' Catholic high school?

Newport1128

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Austin Catholic Prep was located on Warren between Radnor and Canyon, near where Warren and Mack meet. It was an all-boys school. There is a St. John Health System senior community (aka nursing home) now on the site.

Whithorn11446
Username: Whithorn11446

Post Number: 117
Posted on Monday, June 18, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Another east side Catholic school question: Has anyone heard of Austin High? When did it close? Was it a boys' Catholic high school?"

Yes, many people were aware of Austin considering it was somewhat famous. Dave DeBusschere graduated from Austin and led them to the 1958 Class A State of Michigan basketball title. They opened in the early 1950's and closed in the late 1970's. Actually, I don't know why Austin did not stay somewhat longer. In the late 1970's that area was still stable especially compared to other Detroit east side neighborhoods. Perhaps Notre Dame and Bishop Gallagher being relatively close was a reason they decided to close.