Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Tiger Stadium - City Council Public Hearing July 9th, 2007 @ 11:15 » Archive through July 01, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Navin_parker
Username: Navin_parker

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Support Tiger Stadium turn out on the 9th and let the City Council know were you stand now is everybody's chance to get the facts. Stop knocking Riley on the forum one of only a few asking the City questions and the get the answers for yourself. Its up to us now!

------------------------------ --------------------

CITY OF DETROIT
COUNTY OF WAYNE,
STATE OF MICHIGAN

CITY COUNCIL PUBLIC HEARING ON THE FOLLOWING EDC PROJECT PLAN:

THE TIGER STADIUM PROPERTY REDEVELOPMENT PROJECT

TO ALL INTERESTED PERSONS IN THE CITY OF DETROIT:

PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that the City Council of the City of Detroit, Michigan will hold a public hearing on Thursday, the 9tL day of July, 2007, in the Council Chambers, 13th Floor of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center located at 2 Woodward Avenue, Detroit, Michigan, to consider the adoption of a resolution approving the Project Plan for the Economic Development Corporation of the City of Detroit pursuant to Act 338 of the Public Acts of Michigan 1974, as amended.

11:15 AM — Tiger Stadium Property Redevelopment Project The property to which the proposed Project Plan applies is generally bounded by Cochrane on the west, Trumbull on the east, Michigan Avenue on the south and the Fisher Freeway south service drive on the north.
Copies of the proposed Project Plan and maps and plats associated therewith are on file at the office of the City Clerk for inspection during regular business hours.

At the public hearing, all interested persons desiring to address the City Council shall be
afforded an opportunity to be heard in regard to the approval of the Project Plan for the
Economic Development Corporation of the City of Detroit.

All aspects of the Project
Plan will be open for discussion at the public hearing.

FURTHER INFORMATION may be obtained from the Economic Development Corporation of the City of Detroit, 500 Griswold, Suite 2200, Detroit, Ml. 48226.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1481
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not sure what you mean by "support tiger stadium", since it's being demolished...

I certainly hope you aren't encouraging people to obstruct positive economic development just for the sake of doing so, as is often the case with many Detroiters...

can you elaborate on what you're trying to get across here?

Drm
Username: Drm

Post Number: 1114
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I certainly hope you aren't encouraging people to obstruct positive economic development just for the sake of doing so, as is often the case with many Detroiters...

From what Navin_parker has posted previously, that's exactly what this person is encouraging.

The city is finally doing what the neighborhood asked for, but some people can't let go of the fantasy, no matter how many facts get in the way. They'd rather let the thing continue to sit empty, sucking the energy out of that portion of Corktown, rather than see the field once again become a neighborhood resource, a place for children to play baseball and soccer, and a shrine to all the heroes of baseball past.

Seems like a no-brainer to me.

Fozzy3
Username: Fozzy3

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"... rather than see the field once again become a neighborhood resource, a place for children to play baseball and soccer, and a shrine to all the heroes of baseball past."

Right, like that is going to happen.
Give me a break.

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 28
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What fantasy? The plan is to cannibalize the stadium and turn over the field for youth recs. Once it's been picked clean then they'll figure out how to redevelop the site for housing. Sounds kinda short sighted to me. Essentially what they are planning to do is destroy it's market value in the hopes that some unknown developer can create a market out of nothing. I think what Navin is hoping by getting people to go to the meeting is to put pressure on the City to wait until a comprehensive development plan is worked out before hawking the very thing that would attract investors. I don't see anyone clamouring for dvelopment opportunities in corktown right now, do you? So why get rid of the one thing that might possibly get people to want to invest?

I completely agree that it is unexcusable to let it sit vacant and unattended, but for crying out loud, get out from behind closed doors and issue a public RFP from architects and planners. You'd be amazed at what kind of response we'd get and the whole region would be revived starting from a solid foundation. Not by destroying the foundation and then trying to figure out how to build a new one to a market that doesn't exist.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1491
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jb3, you're contradicting yourself...on the one hand, you're saying developers aren't lining up to develop in corktown, and on the other hand, you're saying you want to leave tiger stadium in tact in the hopes that some developer will do something with it...

the thing has sat vacant there for almost a decade now...the time for pitching a proposal to develop the spot without taking out tiger stadium has come and gone...

Jb3

Post Number: 30
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha that's funny! first of all, i don't hope for anything to happen. either there is a way to make it happen or not. Second of all, an open air stadium being exposed to the weather for ten years, isn't the same as an office building sitting vacant. third, if you know the science behind why it is structurally deficient or have a copy of a marketing study, then please pass it along. I would love to see exactly what 'proposals' have been pitched. Because i sincerely doubt that any of them are innovative and progressive, and the time for innovation and progress will never pass! I agree that were coming down to it's last hour, so i'll be at the council meeting and i thank NAvin for giving us a heads up. You all cry so hard to get it torn down, without the foggiest idea of what is going in it's place, let alone if there is even a demand for it. Whatever. Oh! and besides there has only been an inkling of a marketable housing stock in the downtown for about two years now, so ten years ago we could of possibly peaked interest in the right plan, but now is absolutely the right time. It hasn't passed, it was waiting for us.

Waz
Username: Waz

Post Number: 90
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, just like Kales, and Book-Cadillac and Pick-Fort Shelby....

Thejesus

Post Number: 1493
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jb3:

when I mentioned that it has sat there vacant for a nearly a decade, I wasn't speaking to its structural integrity...I was speaking to the fact that if there was a developer that had a serious viable proposal to develop it while preserving all or most of it, we would have likely gotten it by now...the fact that nothing has come along should tell you something...

and we may not know exactly what will be going up in its place if it's torn down, but we do know that the location of that parcel of land has value in itself, and with everything that going on on that side of town lately, allowing the stadium to just sit there vacant and decaying simply doesn't make sense anymore

Navin_parker

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason no action was ever taken with any past proposals for Tiger Stadium that were viable with funding and there were many is because neither the City or the ILITCH FAMILY who to this day remains paid by Detroit Economic Growth Corp. to destroy a city owned jewel never wanted to see it utilized let alone restored. Don't say they aren't because the 2 all day security guards ain't sent over to watch the stadium for nothing so don't say its un-attended because its attended and un-keep thanks to them and there supervisors with the Tigers....more than one gaurd and Tiger employee has told me they are sick at the lack of respect ILITCH shows the place Tax-payers $0 ILITCH $4 MILLION. Its a sad story but ILITCH loves taking his City to the cleaners and laughing all the way to the bank its easy when we turn the other cheek and rave about what he has done for Detroit believe you me we have done just as much for him we just don't know it.

Don't believe it you say well give the TS Guard a call don't let him fall asleep on the job dial him at (313) 964-6817 maybe he'll answer Historic Tiger Stadium like he always does ya what a joke if only the City and the Tigers really felt that way this won't be such an issue.

Now that $4 million plus has been wasted and the 30 year City lease which ILITCH has used to hold a gun to the City's head to collect money for upkeep never done is about to expire on July 13th, 2007 its the perfect time to pressure the Council to take away a potenial destination and give us 9 more acres of vacant land in the City of Detroit.

Think were Detroit and Corktown would be today had the City of Detroit really cared about using an asset like Tiger Stadium to attract people to Detroit and the Corktown neighborhood. They still could have torn it down if the market demand were in place for something else which it is not today plus they would have had the revenue from the use of the stadium to do it. Things like Tiger Stadium make people want to visit Detroit in a time when people and business are giving up on Michigan and leaving the city by the bus load won't it be nice if we were smart and promoted the things we have that others towns do not that's why the matter of Tiger Stadium means something.

I read a story the other day titled could Detroit just disappear well if we keep killing off are history plus our City jewells and the people keep departing I'd say it could.

We don't need the wrecking ball we need elected officials and residents with a good dose of common sense. Build the development on the parking lots that are clear behind the stadium and see how they do that would be using a level headed approach because once upon a time those lots were all homes. Like Yogi Berra said its Dejea Vou all over again!

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 361
Posted on Wednesday, June 27, 2007 - 11:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am with you JB3 and Navin. Like i have said in the past and at the city planning commission hearing "To often has Detroit frowned on its past and look to new development to be the answer, we should be looking towards a culture of preservation not the culture of demolition that has plagued Detroit for some 60 years."

I don't think anyone is trying to get in the way of progress, I just believe that without funding nor developer there is no reason to demolish the stadium on possibilities.

THe DEGC took the navin field plan with them from the meeting. Navin Parker could not be more right about Illitch. I plan on doing my best to make it to the hearing.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2266
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the lack of a plan for the Tiger Stadium site bothers some of you on this forum, but keeping the stadium from the wrecking ball because you see no acceptable plan is shortsighted. The stadium is old and outdated. Its use as something else is highly unlikely. The best thing to do is to tear it down and keep the land clean, and the grass cut and see who might want to develop it. Last I heard, the Corktown CDC had a plan. Why not wait and see it play out?

BTW, I personally would like to see the majority of the field kept intact and open for adults and not just little leaguers. Playing softball or hardball or whatever on the field that "Cobb built" is the draw. Souvenir shops and concession stands could arise from those coming to visit the field. Regarding Shakespeare, they say, "The play is the thing." In this case, regarding Tiger Stadium, "The field is the thing."

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 362
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who is the king Kwame or Illitch? There has been plenty of interest in redeveloping the site without it being torn down, they will just not even look at proposals that keep part of the stadium in tact. The GCDC's plan has no developer or funding and calls for condos with a much smaller field, and it would still be in question if that plan could work. I think its still a tourist attraction as it is right now and think that they could have been getting some money out of it all along but Instead we pay illitch to keep it under lock and key.

Civilprotectionunit4346
Username: Civilprotectionunit4346

Post Number: 138
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw someone should run a Save The Tiger Stadium Fund....They should push to get another MLB team in there, it would do the city alot of good and probably generate more interest in developers who would want to build in the area. Another thing would be to see them get a developer or investor interested in getting MCS & that restored....Corktown is coming back, just that if they tear down the stadium there, I think that will hurt the whole corktown thing.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 364
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good points Civilprotectionunit4346, I do think that the economic feasibility of another major league team coming in is very low due to decreased population and shear cost. (Although the Marlins would be the best fit) As a corktown resident, I must say though that the businesses in the area have learned to adapt and in a way it would be better if it was minor league ball and the property owners of the vast amounts of parking lots sold there property and infill housing happened. I would love to see MCS restored it has always been a dream of mine.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 350
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tiger Stadium needs to go. For the sake of Corktown. I think keeping the field is good but the actual structure is nothing special. I don't think that Tiger Stadium really draws in the crowds, I have never seen masses of people around it. Its not a major reason that I go to Detroit, and I don't think it is for anyone else. I think you are standing in the way of development for this site.

Navin_parker

Post Number: 19
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the lack of a plan for the stadium and many other parts of the City certainly the neighborhoods does upset us.

What concerns me is not the short sighted minds of the administration or the residents but the complete lack of accountability for the money wasted by not using Tiger Stadium the past 8 years and now compounding the problem by wasting more to demo it. Its allowing this stuff to take place that bothers me not the wrecking ball or a parking lot left behind. We need to expect more and stop the maddness by being responsible residents not by just running from the challenge saying tear it down it will be better that way..what have you gotten for your money so fare who can really say it will be better with it gone.

The Corktown community most realize what there true value as a commuinty is today be realistic about were you want to go and don't tear away your heart to get there. Tiger Stadium is not keeping Corktown down better judgement will help it RISE UP!

6nois

Post Number: 352
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What do you think it was going to be used for the last 8 years? There is no reason to keep it. There isn't anything to use it for in the future. The structure of the building has no purpose, keeping the ticket box at the corner would be a good compromise. Keeping the field is a good compromise. Both of those things are more than any other city has done. Be happy with what you're being offered.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 862
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stadium preservation advocates are pinning their hopes on minor league baseball. But Corktown will not benefit from a minor league baseball use of Tiger Stadium. Corktown needs mixed use on that site.

I consider myself a preservationist, but I do not believe that even a renovated downsized Tiger Stadium utilized by a minor league team is worth the cost to the city and the harm it would cause to the future growth of Corktown. The stadium is unlike a vacant CBD structure that has potential re-use possibilities. There is no potential re-use for the stadium that will benefit Corktown, so there is no sense in waiting on the demolition. History alone is not enough to justify keeping the stadium.

The Corktown CDC plan endorsed last year by the mayor is the best alternative for this site. All efforts should be devoted toward that plan.

Bottom line: tear it down.

P.S. Can someone articulate exactly what the Planning Commission objection was to the DEGC demolition plan?

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 366
Posted on Thursday, June 28, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There were too many question marks and not enough answers given at the hearing. I think that with good planning there could be a mixed use development that included minor league ball which would be more marketable and would do more in terms of historic preservation.

Royce

Post Number: 2268
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Urbanoutdoors, how many cities have a major league team and a minor league team playing in the same city? Minor league teams like the Lansing Lugnuts are where they are because there is no major league team there, period.

Metro Detroiters will not support a minor league team with minor league talent if they can support a major league team and see major league talent.

BTW, Urbanoutdoors, how do you get mixed-use development with a minor league baseball team? The team needs the majority of the field and a good portion of the stands. Where is there room for businesses and living spaces if you include a minor league team as a part of a mixed-use plan?

Jb3

Post Number: 45
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like that it's planned on being turned over to youth leagues. Can't say i'm in favor of minor league, but if it's possible, why not. Swingline- if the Mayor endorsed the plan it must be great! I remember his endorsement for the plans for the zoo, close it down! Mixed use is definitley the way to go, but the stadium is absolutley NOT standing in the way of any development in Corktown, that's just stupid. Give me a few hours, i'll post a satellite image of the area and show you how much room exactly is available for growth in the area without fixating on something already built...can't see the forest through the ...not even trees, more like one little diseased sapling that you all think holds the hope for some miraculous new breed of magical species that will grow to majestic proportions to create a new forest, when really, it's just a sick little fart growth.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 367
Posted on Friday, June 29, 2007 - 9:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce if the navin field horse shoe was reestablished it would reduce the size to 10,000 seats the stands would not be out all the way to michigan, trumbull, or cochrane. That area could be developed with mixed use business/retail and residential. With tenants having access to the roof to watch games for free as part of the agreement. Little league, american legion, as well as independent league could be played. Ivy covered outfield walls and open to the public daily from 9 am on. Tournaments,concerts, as well as maybe a new corktown summer festival. If it was made a sort of community park/ minor league stadium with multiple leagues and concessions as well as retail it would be more than economically feasible.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 789
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

keep the land clean, and the grass cut

Find me ONE parcel of land of that size in this city where this happens. Go ahead, ONE. The only place that is kept up decently that is a good size is Clark Park. And that's only because of the dedication of the Southwest Detroit community, mainly those in Hubbard Farms.
If they tear Tiger Stadium down without a solid and financially backed plan in place, it will be overgrown with weeds and littered with broken glass and empty 25-cent bags of Cheetos. And that is NOT the way that corner of history deserves to be treated. Take a look around there now for a sign of things that would come.
Without a plan, both operationally and financially, I say let it continue to rot because it's better than the alternative. When we have both of those things in place, then I'm ready to let go. For those who say Kilpatrick has a plan, need I point out his new police headquarters, and by police headquarters I mean his grandiose plan to redevelop MCS.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 369
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be happy as long as baseball is still played on the site but I must say I feel that it does the city's history a disservice for it not to be preserved. One of my favorite quotes from Jose Camillo Vergara sums it up best: "The tragedy is that Detroit actually has more of a downtown left to renew than most cities. Detroit just does not know what to do with this traditional fabric. Instead, piece by piece it demolishes itself and looks to the big Project Plans-Stadiums and gambling-to resuscitate its urban core."

Now with certain plans in the city such as the book cad that is changing to a degree, but Illitch still owns almost every piece of property around Illitch Village and for the past eight years has controled the fate of the stadium, getting paid to maintain it but instead keeping the doors shut and baseball out. Why should Illitch be allowed to control the fate of Detroit's historical landmarks!

Ok I am done ranting but thought I would provide a few links for those who do not know as much about the stadiums history.

http://www.baseball-almanac.co m/stadium/tiger_stadium.shtml
http://www.baseball-statistics .com/Ballparks/Det/Tiger.htm

Drm

Post Number: 1115
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

but the stadium is absolutley NOT standing in the way of any development in Corktown, that's just stupid

The vacant land you see on your satellite photo used to be parking lots for Tiger Stadium. The parking lot owners will not sell at a reasonable price so long as there's a chance that parking will be in demand once again. Until then, the neighborhood will be littered with vacant lots that cost the owners almost nothing to sit on.
quote:

Without a plan, both operationally and financially, I say let it continue to rot because it's better than the alternative.

There is a plan and the city will not be responsible for maintaining the field.
quote:

I will be happy as long as baseball is still played on the site but I must say I feel that it does the city's history a disservice for it not to be preserved.

The site will be preserved for baseball under the current plan.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 370
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The current plan that has no developer and no funding? That proposes using tax payer money for demo cost? The plan that says if it does not find a developer it is open to any development on the site but demolish it first without a clear future? Once they find funding and a developer that does not want to use tax payer money then I would be happy.

Drm

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You need to get your facts straight. Everything I will say is public knowledge and has been stated here on the Forum and elsewhere if you had been paying attention.

There is a plan to preserve the field. The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy, a nonprofit corporation independent of the city, was created by the Greater Corktown Development Corporation, a 30+ year old community development corporation, to do so. The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy also intends to preserve a portion of the structure. It is a plan that resulted from the neighborhood stakeholders' meetings held before the Tigers left.

You are correct that there have been no developers announced for the development parcels that will result from the portions of the stadium structure that are dismantled. You imply that this indicates a lack of interest from developers. The fact is that the RFP process must be followed before developers can be announced. Maybe there will be no developers right away, but the Conservancy's preservation portion will continue.

Try talking to someone besides the Rileys, Dows, Rashids and Beers of the world. Learn what's going on before you continue to speak on this forum and at public hearings and make a fool of yourself.

The Tigers are not coming back to the Corner. Professional baseball will never again be played there. This is reality. The current plan is not perfect --

But The Old Tiger Stadium Conservancy is our best chance to preserve the history of the site and for baseball to again be played at the Corner. If you are successful, those of you who try to undermine their efforts will accomplish exactly the opposite of your goal - there will be nothing left except (maybe) an historical marker.

Drm

Post Number: 1117
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more thing I forgot to mention - the Citizens District Council, composed of people from the neighborhood, voted in favor of the current plan. Almost all of the folks who oppose it do not live in the neighborhood.

Oh, one other other thing - people like to bring up the documentary Stranded on the Corner to make their arguments. Keep in mind that this documentary was funded by Peter Comstock Riley, one of the people who want to bring minor league baseball to the Corner. Citing the Glaser film is about as credible as citing a documentary on global warming funded by ExxonMobil.

Jb3

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Drm. Unfortunatley, i see alot more than some vacant parking lots behind the field. (i have the satellite image, but my ghetto version of photoshop won't let me identify properly what it is i want you to see) Frankly, i don't really care about who owns them. It goes back to some of our other forums about no effective leadership. If vacant parking lots are standing in the way of progress, then the city needs to raise the stakes. Ever hear of eminent domain?? Not exactly sure at what level of government would need to approve that, but maybe someone hear on the forum knows. Even if not possible, Detroit is no stranger to back room deals...IF there were a profitable vision in place (which there isn't).

Though i can appreciate your mentality of 'do something...even if it's wrong' i can't help but get pissed off at lack of a comprehensive plan. This is a nationwide affliction, not just relegated to corktown (Iraq war anyone?? a six month venture turned into a shithole, for what? ..say it with me..LACK OF A COMPREHENSIVE PLAN). But as far as Detroit goes, Corktown is of the few gems that could significantly benefit from some creative masterplanning. But whatever puts a quick buck in the old coffers of the King is what's best for the city i guess (that was sarcasm).

I'm sorry, but your arguments hold no water. So all six residents of the surrounding bombed out neighborhoods agreed on the 'do something' mentality...good for them, whoopee! The RFP process needs to be followed, then follow it! But do it the right way, not the Detroit way. Hold an open competition from Architects and planners (costs hardly nothing to the City) and THEN!!! get developers to get on board. I appreciate what the conservancy is doing, but what the hell is holding them back? If they want to open the field to youth leagues, DO IT! and do it now. what the hell they waiting for? Oh, i forgot, they're waiting for the City to cannibalize the stadium. And then they're going to wait for a developer to try and figure out what to do with the aftermath. And then they're going to wait for years of permitting to try and work out parking issues with their suburban style housing they want to put in. And then they're going to wait till everyone moves back to the city since they all left for waiting so long...

I've never seen the documentary (now i'm curious though) nor do i care about the people you referenced above, i'm sure they've made alot of money taking advantage of someone or something along the way. I'm more interested in creating profitable neighborhoods, not profitable isolated developments, which, like you said, won't happen with minor league or other marquee singular incidents. It's about weaving a fabric of life into the City, not just hoping a developer can plant a sick little tree and maybe it will bear a diseased apple that might have a slice of profit in it.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 372
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great points Jb3 we hold many of the same opinions on the issue.

DRM, I am a corktown resident and if feel very strongly on the issue of don't demolish before you have the answers needed. I have my facts straight and understand what they are trying to do is interesting and appreciate it. That said I do not believe the city should pay for demolition and the stadium should not be torn down based on possibilities. If their plans a developer and funding I would be much more receptive but without that I must say look at all options available instead of endorsing another condo development in the city.

(Message edited by Urbanoutdoors on June 30, 2007)

Royce

Post Number: 2270
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a Corktown resident, Urbanoutdoors, I would think that you would be in favor of tearing down Tiger Stadium simply because Corktown has no playfield/park for its residents. Even if other developments do not come along, residents of Corktown should be longing for a park or playfield. The Tiger Stadium site would be ideal. That should be the immediate plan.

Jb3

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Royce, the field should be put to use...immediately. If anyone knows why they can't simply open the doors, please share. Thank You! I could pick up some great drop-in soccer games there if they just LET ME IN!

6nois

Post Number: 355
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eminent domain can no longer be used for development of private developments such as a Walmart, or market rate housing. I can't remember what proposal it was last year but it passed. So that won't happen. As for leaving Tiger Stadium open are you kidding, you don't see why it can't just be opened up. Vandalism for one, and theft, there are enough crazy people who would be all about stealing things from the structure. I think the plan in place needs to be moved forward.

Jb3

Post Number: 51
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't they planning on stealing everything anyway??? Only difference is it's the City that gets to use a slightly larger pawn shop. Ever hear of a term called 'eyes on the streets'? That means in traditionally safe neighborhoods, the streets are safe not due to police enforcement, it's due to the people that care for and inhabit the streets. If i'm kickin the ball around down on the field, and i have twenty of my friends sittin in the stands, do you really think some jackass is gonna be brave enough to walk out with some memorablia?... well do ya...punk? (just kidding, i'm not trying to be belligerent, just thought the phrase fit:-) )

They can feel free to install some cheap temporary partitions, helluva lot less than demo and whatever else they think they might possibly, maybe, kinda have planned. Shit...i'll do it for them in a weekend. They can lock down all the locker rooms and press boxes...whatever. If you're only excuse is theft, please don't waste your breath.

Thanks for the info on the eminent domain. I don't see that not being able to use it will pose a problem though. Might be able to get some the parking though, now that i think about it. Technically, the field is being turned over to a community orginization, authorized (or something) by the City...that means they will need access to the site for the greater good...sooo...the city claims a piece of the parking for a thoroughfare and the parking owners get right of first refusal on mixed-use developments on the rezoned parcels...think about it.

gotta run, saturday night and all. Thanks again.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 373
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do agree corktown could use many more parks, the one across from McNallys serves as a good spot for a game of 21. I think that the stadium could be one of many parks but the best spot for youth baseball would be roosevelt park in front of mcs. Plus roosevelt park would cost far less to meet such a demand.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 374
Posted on Saturday, June 30, 2007 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not to mention the other 8 plus acres of vacant land in the area that would be much more feasible

Jrvass
Username: Jrvass

Post Number: 132
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I remember correctly, it was either Fetzer or Monaghan that sold Tiger Stadium to the city for $1 and a 30-yr lease.

If you are all worked-up about a square city block of crumbling concrete and rusted steel, buy the damn thing for $2 from the city and the city will earn a 100% profit.

Do what you want with the property. Baseball games, football games (It would be nice to see a football team in Detroit again.), peep shows, whatever floats your boat!

Have they ever found the plaque from the Historical Commission that was near the front office entrance... "Tyrus Raymond Cobb, A Genius in Spikes"?

I loved the old ballpark, don't misunderstand me. I'd love to buy a few of the old green, wooden seats. Not that blue, plastic crap they replaced them with.

But I don't love crumbling crap patrolled by security guards that has a negative economic impact on the city. IOW, someone needs to "Shit, or Get Off the Pot".

J.L. Hudson's, Redux.

Other cities implode their old stadiums and move forward. Detroiters keep their old shit and argue and bitch and look backward to what was. That is a mindset problem that will probably never go away.

"Don't look back, something may be gaining on you." -Satchel Paige

"To 'have done', is to hang quite out of fashion." -Wm. Shakespeare

Appropriate quotes from Ernie Harwell, on his final broadcast as Tigers announcer. 10/6/1991

James

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 375
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 12:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/ news/archives/2007/06/tiger_st adium_g.html

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 376
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the DEGC's most interesting arguments at the Planning commission's hearing was that Tiger Stadium is a brownsfield because there is a gas station in close proximity.... So does that mean any area within a 100 yard radius of a gas station a brownsfield and qualifies for tax credits?

Jb3

Post Number: 54
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sweet! I've got two bucks!...maybe...yep, got it.

Taxes? Really? Taxes? Hmmm.

Have they done a phase 2 environmental? It depends if the UST is leaking or not. As of now (without a phase 2) it has the potential of being a brownfield. And who knows how far the contaminants would leak, depends on ground water flow and direction.

Haven't we resigned ourselves yet to just simply considering 1/2 the City as potentially toxic and just make the decision to plant trees that would help remediate potential problems for most common toxins? By the time most of those sites would even be considered developable by strictly market standards of demand, they would be clean already (i know the flaws of this logic, please don't feel the need to point this out to me). For reference, browse through the Vertical Farming Forum.

Jb3

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6nois,
i didn't mean to completely dismiss your concerns about theft and vandalism earlier, because they are big concerns. I'm just fairly confident that those are issues that can be solved readily with the proper approach. You would have to send a clear and unmistakable message regarding the pride and respect that metro detroiters have for the stadium from the get go. A opening day would have to be organized with pre-screened volunteers, but i'm confident (given the success of the riverwalk) that people will understand their place. Once things get rolling it will start to take care of itself.

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 377
Posted on Sunday, July 01, 2007 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Urbanoutdoors, how many cities have a major league team and a minor league team playing in the same city? Minor league teams like the Lansing Lugnuts are where they are because there is no major league team there, period."

From, what I have been able to figure out, in New York City, the only one with major (Mets, Yankees)
and minor league (Staten Island Yankees, Brooklyn Cyclones) teams in
the city limits. San Diego had a team (the Surf Dawgs) in the
independent Golden Baseball League, but it folded after 2
years.

In metro areas, however, there are a bunch of other examples:

* Minnesota Twins (MInneapolis) and St. Paul Saints have happily
co-existed for a decade or so now.

* Philadelphia Phillies and Camden RiverSharks.

* Kansas City Royals (Missouri) and Kansas City T-Bones (Kansas)

* Chicago Cubs and White Sox and Schaumburg Flyers

There are others with affiliated teams within an hour or so.
The Orioles have the Aberdeen IronBirds and Bowie
BaySox, the Astros have the Round Rock Express, the A's have the
Sacramento RiverCats, the Rockies have the Colorado Springs SkySox,
Phillies have the Reading Phillies, Indians have the Akron Aeros, Red Sox
have the Lowell Spinners. The Tigers and the Toledo Mud Hens.