Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Michigan Theatre » Archive through July 14, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mattric43
Username: Mattric43

Post Number: 137
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found an interesting link for a music video filmed in the Michigan Theatre. Thought I might share with you folks.
http://216.219.202.231/bigbird ie.html

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4728
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The former Michigan Theatre has been the subject of commercials, music videos, and even movies (8 Mile) for years, since it was partially gutted in 1977.

People from all over the world come to ask permission to see it, which building owner Anthony Pieroni graciously allows.

Only now folks are no longer allowed to walk up the ramp from the main floor level to the top of the 3 level parking structure (for insurance reasons). Folks have to go back to the office block and go up to the 3rd floor to visit the remains of the cavernous former auditorium, which soars nearly 9 stories.

The Michigan auditorium is arguably America's largest indoor ruin.

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 709
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just an fyi they're not letting people even take the elevator to see the garage. You have to call and try to get permission first.

Which stinks IMO

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1243
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"which building owner Anthony Pieroni graciously allows"

On the contrary, when Detroit Mercy hosted the American Institute of Architecture Students regional conference a few years ago, we could not get in there to see it (even though we asked permission ahead of the date we were giving the tour of downtown to our visiting out-of-towners), and we weren't even asking for a tour, just to be able to walk into it...

Gistok

Post Number: 4731
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Pieroni spends a lot of time out of town on other business ventures. I just sent him an EMAIL and asked him to respond.

Mattric43

Post Number: 138
Posted on Tuesday, July 03, 2007 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is open to the public during every Tigers Game (I believe every major event downtown) for parking. $10 and you are free to park anywhere. You take the stairs in the building down. I don't trust Michigan drivers to walk on the ramps anyway so good for them on that rule.

Eric_w
Username: Eric_w

Post Number: 252
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in 1975-75 I went to a lot of concerts there-it was a great venue. It's too bad it wasn't preserved as a theater. I remember seeing some movies there too a kid.

Tony_pieroni
Username: Tony_pieroni

Post Number: 20
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the heads-up gistok. I'll try to address the comments of those folks interested in the theater.

First, we go out of our way to accomodate folks who'd like to view the garage and take a couple of pictures. We open the garage to the Preservation Wayne Theater Tour every year. We have permitted many architectural students and groups from Harvard, U of M , Cranbrook, U of D, and several other U. S. and foreign schools to inspect and photograph it. We have had countless requests from amateur and professional photographers and we try to accomodate them if we can.

What people have to keep in mind is that the theater is a place of business, open only to paying tenants of the MI Bld. It's a high security building and frankly, tenants don't like to see strangers in the building. Also, it can be dangerous as there is only one up-down ramp between floors. Walking on the ramps is strictly prohibited. My insurance agent would love to see access denied to all non-tenants. Nevertheless, we do permit entry to everyone except for walk-ins who seek to gain entry unannounced and at times when there is a lot of tenant activity in the garage (lunch time and between 4 and 6 PM.) If it's not convenient for us we always tell people to call and come back at another time.
Most people are no trouble. However, there are always a few people who we let in to take a couple of photos and we receive calls from tenants that they're walking around looking in cars or walking up or down the ramp.

Charlottepaul, I have no recollection of the incident you refer to. I don't know when it allegedly occurred. We've permitted many U of D students into the theater. I'm a U of D graduate and supporter and I can't imagine that what you claim really happened, unless the request came at a time when the garage was undergoing major maintenance and it wasn't safe. You say it happened "a few years ago;" I don't think it happened when I owned the building. If it did, I'm sorry.

Matricc43, you're partially correct. The parking facilities are open during night Tigers games and Lions games. However, the building is never "open to the public." Those who park for games are of course permitted to park on the upper floors and take in the view when parking their cars. Most of the patrons are regulars. Those parking on the 2d and 3d floors must go down the stairs or take the elevator inside the office building. And, parking is $5 during Tigers games.

Harmonie's allegations are simply inaccurate. We do require visitors to check in at the building office (what's unreasonable about that?) and they are told to take the elevator to the floor where they can gain entry to the theater.

Frequently members and stage crews of shows at the Fox and Masonic Temple ask to come over and take a look because they have heard of the theater during their travels around the country. Others, many others, have seen photos in books written by my brother-in-law, Camilo Vergara, and feel they have to stop by and see it for themselves.

And Matricc, thanks for the link to the video which was shot in the garage. The fact is, I have no idea who those folks are, when the video was shot, or how they got in there. Several months ago, a guy called and asked to shoot a video for a local group which had no money to pay a location fee. He said it would not be shown commercially, but was to be used as a demonstration video to get gigs for the group. I agreed as long as they could get an insurance certificate and were willing to shoot on a Sunday when there few tenants in the garage. I must have been out of own as I don't recall they ever showed up. Part of the deal was that I was to get a copy of the video but I never did. They're not bad. How can I contact them to get my royalty?

One other point. Gistok and several others from Preservation Wayne know far more about the history of the Michigan Building and the theater/garage than I do. It's great that their knowledge is passed along to others.

Thanks for your interest.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 3952
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The owner of the Michigan Theater building has a history of being very generous about allowing access to his garage.

If I were in his shoes, I am not sure I would have done the same. Why would I want to risk the liability of something happening to someone? Who even needs the time loss and nuisance of someone asking to be let in?

Because of his largesse, I would be willing to guess that several thousand non-customers have experienced that amazing spectacle of Detroit which sits atop the very spot where Henry Ford built his first car and drove it out onto the carless streets of Detroit.

Try getting access like that with any other building owner and then grumbling about this situation.

Anthony Pieroni is owed great thanks not only for that access but for keeping alive a beautiful historic building that could easily have gone the way of the United Artists and Statler, if in the wrong hands.

Addendum: I was writing this post apparently at the same time the above post was being authored. It exemplies what I was wrote so well!

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4645
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the great post Anthony!

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 934
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mr. Pieroni!

and Happy Fourth of July.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just bought the Arcadia Book on the Movie Palaces after touring at the Historical Museum. I loved the Michigan Theater and prefer to keep the image in my memory. When it was turned into a parking garage, I was devastated.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 4648
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh, at least it wasnt torn down like so many others.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Wednesday, July 04, 2007 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Pieroni, it was in March of 2004. Here is a photo album from from the event by the UofM AIAS who co-hosted the event with us: http://www.umich.edu/%7Eaias/i mages/detroit04/index.htm. We had a tour of downtown as well as a panel discussion in Harmonie Park that several professors from Detroit Mercy helped lead followed by the Beaux Arts Ball in the Courtyard Marriott and then a tour of Ann Arbor on Sunday. We planned the tour that I lead through downtown just a few weeks before the event ('twas at this time that we asked your security personnel about possibly entering the building in a few weeks not you personally as I recall). Maybe the fact that the tour was on a weekend was the reason that we couldn't get the students into the Michigan Theatre. No hard feelings Mr. Pieroni. The only thing that I was relating was simply my experience in regards to this thread there are certainly plenty of sites downtown to visit.

Gistok

Post Number: 4739
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Michigan Building is a very interesting building. When one views it from the north, it appears to be a massive building taking up the whole block. However, the former theatre portion comprises much of the bulk of the building, and the shallow office block is "L" shaped around the former theatre.

Although the building has 13 floors, for some odd reason the main elevators only go up to the 12th floor. The 13th is only available via the service elevator or stairs. The first 12 floors have tenants, while the 13th floor is used for storage.

Interestingly enough, as most folks know C. Howard Crane designed many of the downtown theatres. But the Michigan Theatre/Building was designed by Rapp & Rapp (also designed the Chicago Theatre). Rapp & Rapp (brothers C.W. & George L.) also designed the nearby Leland Hotel on Cass & Bagley (was the Ramada until last year), and the Royal Oak Theatre (in a tamer style).

The very last theatre that Rapp & Rapp designed (long after the founding brothers were dead) was the "new" Fisher Theatre in 1961.

One interesting thing about the Michigan Building is a bit of irony. With all the theatres and attached office buildings that Detroit's own C. Howard Crane designed (State, Fox, Capitol, United Artists, Madison, Adams, Majestic, Orchestra Hall), his offices were in the Michigan Building (which opened in 1926). The exact location of his offices within the building have yet to be identified.

Original sketches of the Michigan Building & Theatre showed the complex taking up the entire block, with 3 huge arched windows as the entrance for the theatre.

However, in the mid 1920's the 8 businesses and the Brunswick Hotel that were along the Grand River front were too expensive for developer John Kunsky (part of the Paramount-Publix Corp.) to purchase, so the Michigan only takes up about 80% of the block away from Grand River, and the theatre entrance only has a single large arched window over the entrance.

After the depression, the 9 buildings along Grand River were razed and used as a parking lot for the Michigan Theatre/Building tenants.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 1487
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok--John Kunsky was the Detroit owner of the Paramount/Publix franchise. As I am sure you know, he built many of the palaces/neighborhood houses in Detroit. It is easier to list the houses he did not own rather than to list those that he did build and own. He used several architects, Rapp & Rapp for the Michigan, Royal Oak and Birmingham, Verner, Wilheim, R.F Molby and Shreve for the Redford, C. Howard Crane for others, including the Capitol.

Exmotowner
Username: Exmotowner

Post Number: 335
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 7:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Pieroni, since you do evidently read some posts here, what are your thoughts on putting back the theater? Is this a definite impossibility? I assume the cost would be outrageous, but of course we would all love to see that happen. Did you own the building when it was converted from the theater to the parking lot? Thanks for your imput. We all care about the michigan. I was only in there once when I was younger and was just amazed at how beautiful it was. Our friend Gisok can probably answer most of these questions for you.

Thanks.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 391
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

even though the theater has been converted to a parking structure(many people who visit from other places find this conversion rediculous, crazy, appauling,ioutragious and wonder was the theater used for the armed forces during the 67 riots.

still glad the office section of the building is still in use. the lobby of the offices looks pretty good. Its great to see so much activity at the UA with all the hard hats working inside. Its cool to know so many people are hoping, wishing, praying something great happens to these 2 palaces.

Gistok

Post Number: 4740
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been to visit Mr. Pieroni in his office several times. He's a great conversationalist, and a very knowledgable fellow. I won't get into his other business interests, but let's just say the Michigan Building is not his major source of income.

As far as the possibility of the Michigan ever being restored as a theatre, Mr. Pieroni's position is that it'll probably never happen. I posed this same question to 2 other prominent Detroit area preservationists... Michael Hauser, author of the Arcadia Book on Detroit Theatres... his comments were that it would probably cost $50-$60 million to do this, making it highly unlikely. Another person I posed this question to was Rebecca Binno-Savage, president of DAADS (Detroit Area Art Deco Society), who also said it would never happen.

Mr. Pieron told me that the basement areas (restrooms, etc) were filled in with the rubble of the removed interior portions of the building.

What areas were removed from the building? The main floor foyer walls that separate it from the Grand Lobby and Auditorium are removed (or down to the structural framework). The entire Mezzanine and Mezzanine Foyer was removed (which includes one wall that it shares with the Grand Lobby, which was gutted down to the structural steel. 2/3 of the Balcony was removed, as was the lower Balcony Foyer. Above the former Grand Lobby there exists an upper Balcony Foyer, which is sealed off.

Of the acoustic plaster shell of the auditorium, the sidewalls were removed (the one part of the Theatre that architectural critics liked least about the Michigan). And part of the outer building brickwork was removed to allow vehicle exhaust to escape. And the lower half of the Procenium arch around the stage was removed. In the Grand Lobby the marble staircase was removed.

And all the chandeliers, lighting fixtures and stairway railings are removed.

But large portions of the theatre still survive. 3 of the 4 walls of the Grand Lobby and the ceiling still survive relatively intact (although the marble veneer from the 1st floor was removed). The staircases, circulation space, restrooms and elevator tower north of the Grand Lobby are still intact, as are the stairways, restrooms and lobbies south of the Grand Lobby (which are sealed off). The upper third of the Balcony is still intact, as is the projection booth and foyer at the back of the upper balcony.

In the auditorium the stage is still there, as is the upper half of the procenium arch. And the entire ceiling of the auditorium is intact, suspended from steel cables from the buildings steel framework.

Thankfully Mr. Pieroni put a new roof on the former theatre a few years ago to help prevent deterioration of interior. But this was also necessary since the theatre framework is important to the integrity of the office block.

Also intact is the false great arched window above the entrance of the former theatre. There are mirrors and a 1/2 chandelier in this space to make it look like it's part of the grand lobby, which it isn't. A few years ago Mr. Pieroni had the lighting of the fake chandelier upgraded so that it lights up at night.

The only way that the Michigan will ever see a theatre reconstruction that I could ever see is if 1) MGM Grand wanted a large nearby theatre for entertainments, or 2) if the Ford Foundation forked out big bucks for its' restoration as a Ford Center for the Performing Arts, since it is on the site where Henry Ford built his first motor and automobile back in the mid 1890's.

But both of those scenarios are highly unlikely.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 563
Posted on Thursday, July 05, 2007 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

or 3) I win a couple hundred million in the lotto, also highly unlikely.

Thanks for the info, Gistok, and thanks to Mr. Pieroni for his input as well.

I didn't know it was open for Tiger night games. Next time I make it to one, I'm going to make a point to park there.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 337
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Gistok. Your awsome! You answered all my questions but one. Was Mr. Peroni the owner when it was converted? You are one knowledgable lady! I tried to find the michigan when I was there and couldnt. Things have changed so much and my partner was with me which prevented exploration the way I would have liked to. Next time I come home, I will be by myself and will explore some more and hopefully I can park there.

Thanks Gistok! did you know the National Historic theater society is looking for an Archivist? You would be great for the job. Of course it a volunteer position though.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2020
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Thanks Gistok. Your awsome! You answered all my questions but one. Was Mr. Peroni the owner when it was converted? You are one knowledgable lady!

He is knowledgable, but he's no lady.
:-)

56packman

Post Number: 1488
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exmotowner, No, Mr. Pieroni was not the owner during the 1977 gutting/parking conversion. I forget who was, but the main tenant of the office building was the credit card association. Back in the ancient days of credit card retail store clerks would have to call a toll free 1-800 number and speak to an operator, read off the card number and the purchase amount. The operator would then look up the card/account in question on their computer (a rare commodity back then) and give an approval code, or occasionally a command to keep the card.
That call center was in the Michigan building, they were at the time the biggest single tenant. They wanted better parking for their employees and threatened to bolt if the building management didn't do something about parking fast. This is where the theatre bit the dust. They wanted to demolish the auditorium off of the building but were told that the structure of the office building was dependant on columns that also support the auditorium; they couldn't tear down one and have the other stand (a similar thing happened at the Commerce building/Cass-Summit-Pandora theatre that same year, resulting in the whole complex being demolished).
The Michigan building owners were tired of the fly-by-night rock concert promoter who leased the theatre, and all of the trouble that enterprise brought weekly and made a quick, easy decision to convert the theatre to a parking garage.
The ultimate irony of the tenant/parking issue is that within two years the magnetic stripe credit card and network reader (at each cash register/sales location) was introduced, was quickly accepted and the call center in the Michigan building (and many other locations worldwide) were shut down, everyone let go and the leases terminated.

Scottr

Post Number: 565
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A sidetrack, but there are still call centers for credit authorization, for times when a network goes down for whatever reason. Today, they are probably all located in Bangladesh or somewhere, so if technology hadn't killed it off, outsourcing certainly would have. a familiar story around here...

Harmonie
Username: Harmonie

Post Number: 710
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harmonie said, "You have to call and try to get permission first"

Mr. Pieroni said, "Nevertheless, we do permit entry to everyone except for walk-ins who seek to gain entry unannounced and at times when there is a lot of tenant activity in the garage (lunch time and between 4 and 6 PM.) If it's not convenient for us we always tell people to call and come back at another time."
Then, "Harmonie's allegations are simply inaccurate"

I give tours downtown and I have no problem calling ahead to enter the building...though in the past I have been let in on impromptu occasions. Recently (with a group of two from NYC on Memorial Day) it was not part of the scheduled tour but they desperately wanted to see it, but the guard held up a Notice he had at the desk that said, As of April XX no one is allowed in the garage for tours or pictures...

After talking with him for a few minutes he said if I had problems with it I could call a certain number.

I understand the generosity of letting people in at all so thank you for that, the new policy just caught me off guard.

Gistok

Post Number: 4748
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IIRC, Mr. Pieroni took majority owner possession of the Michigan Building in 1995.

Yes Exmotowner... I prefer to use the men's room at restaurants and other establishments... :-)

Exmotowner

Post Number: 338
Posted on Sunday, July 08, 2007 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Gistok! Im sorry! I dont know why I just assumed you were a woman! Please accept my apologies!! LOL Its great that Mr. pieroni is so nice and open to speak with people. He sounds very cool and very caring! If I hit the powerball, maybe he will let me put the michigan back. Course the power ball will have to be several hundred million for that! LOL. Take care Gistok, and I always enjoy your very knowledgable posts!

Gistok

Post Number: 4772
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem Exmotowner....

Since I have been "outed" as the LEGOMAN... (I wrote a 1,265 page Lego Parts/Sets Collectors Guide on CD)....

Here I am (with my LEGO Store):

http://www.bricklink.com/messa ge.asp?ID=207094

Mattric43

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, July 09, 2007 - 9:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony_pieroni:
Hey thanks for the info. I was in a hurry when I typed that response. I forgot to mention that it is in fact only for people to park in and is only for tenants during business hours. Sorry for not clarifying that. I actually am not sure of who they are but I have never heard or saw them. Just happened to come across the video. $5?!! I think I paid $10!! I got ripped Mr. Pieroni!! lol I don't remember for sure it may have only been $5 but either way well worth it. It was very convenient. Close to the stadium, secure, not crowded what so ever and very quick get away at the end of the night. Thanks again for offering the city of detroit such a convenient and inexpensive parking facility for the games. It is now the only place I will park.
Also thanks Gistok You are a wealth of Knowledge

(Message edited by Mattric43 on July 09, 2007)

Tony_pieroni
Username: Tony_pieroni

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again, Charlottepaul, I'm sorry that you and your group were denied entry to the garage. We don't really have a "security" force as such, but we do have a guard in the lobby at all times; some are my employees and some are from our guard service. They have no authority at all to issue blanket denials to entry. Our policy is that if someone walks in during business hours and wishes to see the garage they are to be referred to the building office. They are asked to contact the office during business hours otherwise. It's possible that you called the separate line to the lobby guard desk and reached a substitute guard who was unaware of our entry policy. Sorry.

My view on the theater restoration possibility is that there's not enough money in the world. Sorry.

I am stunned by Harmonie's statement that there was a sign on the guard desk prohibiting tours and pictures after a certain date. The only thing I can think of is that it may have been when they were filming 8 MILE and entry was prohibited for a couple of weeks while they were setting up or filming.

Here's a commercial. Parking is permitted to the public during Tiger night and weekend games and the price has been $5 for the last couple of years at least. The facilities are occupied quickly by "regulars" but there always some spots available so come on by. My kids run the parking.

There seems to be much interest in the building and parking facilities. Luckily, Gistok knows much more of the history than I but there are some interesting stories relating to Charge Card Association, the credit card processor which was the largest tenent for a long time. I evicted them. Interesting story. If Gistok would lead the tour, I'd be glad to open up the place for people on this thread who might be interested. I'd even take everyone down to the basements of the theater which are quite a ruin in its own right. You'd all have to have flashlights to supplement the meager light down there. It's quite a sight. It would have to be on a Saturday. Everyone would have to pledge not to tell my insurance agent.

Finally, ChezCore is finishing up a renovation job on the big front window behind the former theater marquee and it should be done in a couple of weeks and lit up at night.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 710
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow Tony, that is one hell of an offer!

Bohemianrobot
Username: Bohemianrobot

Post Number: 46
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd be interested in a tour if it happens!

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 538
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sign me up, please.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 105
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am in! My girlfriend and I just got back from a bike ride and we circled the building and looked up through the gates at that stunning ceiling. I would love to see more.

Korridorkid
Username: Korridorkid

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love to enjoy the tour!...Don't worry Mr. Pieroni, i dont even know any insurance agents!

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 660
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok should start taking e-mail sign-ups.

My family and I would love to take up Mr. Pieroni's offer.

Scottr

Post Number: 573
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would jump at the chance - i just need enough notice to request the time off work!

And thank you for such a generous offer!

Cushkid
Username: Cushkid

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ill sweep the floors of the basement to see it!!!!

Psychgrad
Username: Psychgrad

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, July 10, 2007 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might be a newb on the forums, but would love the opp to see a tour. I have had an interest in old theaters for years, as my father used to restore old vaudeville houses that had been converted to showing films.

Gistok

Post Number: 4789
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd be happy to get involved in this, and possibly setup a weekend visit. Maybe with a nominal fee as a contribution to Lowell's website, or?

I'll get back to you all, after I've talked with Mr. Pieroni.

Again, the former Michigan Theatre is America's largest indoor ruin room (at 9 stories), much larger than the 3 story grand lobby of the MCS.

And if Mr. Pieroni was there for the tour, you folks would really enjoy his stories, and anectdotes as I have the several times that I have met with him.

Stay tuned!! :-)

P.S. Now that Germany's 314 ft. Dresden Cathedral has been restored (in 2005) it is quite possible that the former Michigan Theatre is the worlds largest indoor ruin.
I'll start another thread once I've gotten things together with Mr. Pieroni.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 2035
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This tour visits the Michigan:

http://www.preservationwayne.o rg/tours_theater.php

Exmotowner

Post Number: 345
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 6:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gosh I wish I was there to go!! WAHHHHHH!!!

Please someone take pictures for us out of towners! Will keep an eye out for when, and I might see if there is a cheap flight up for this one!!!

Scottr

Post Number: 574
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam - Thanks for the reminder, the last time i checked, the date was still 'tentative'. i was sure to sign up before i forgot! :-)

Mattric43

Post Number: 141
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Pieroni that is a generous offer that I would also like to take you up on. Gistok thanks for helping set this up.

Gistok

Post Number: 4793
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As Pam mentioned, Preservation Wayne does a wonderful tour of many of the downtown theatres. This will be my 9th year as the on site guide at the Filmore (State) which is the registration site, and 1st theatre on the tour (with the Fox as the last site, along with the former Second City theatre next door now known as the City Theatre).

But it looks like a special tour with Mr. Pieroni will include areas off limits to the PW tour members.

Looks like I'll have a busy touring season this summer. On August 11, I'll be taking a bus full of 35 German tourists (dance troupe from Ulm Germany) on a tour of Detroit, which will includes the Edsel & Eleanor Ford House in the Pointes (lunch stop there), a drive down Lakeside Dr., a drive around Belle Isle, a photo op in front of one of the swooping tiger statues at Comerica Park, a tour of the Fox Theatre and Guardian Building grand lobby, and a ride on the People Mover.

Hmmm, maybe I can get permission and squeeze in the Michigan! :-)

Then on August 21, I have to give a repeat performance to a touring band of 15 musicians from Germany... they probably will really like visiting the Michigan.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 1323
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm there if the offer still stands!

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 60
Posted on Wednesday, July 11, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why would anybody want to see that theater in the depressing state that it is in?

WHY????

It is TOO sad for me to look at.

56packman

Post Number: 1500
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a taste of what was lost, circa 1967.
The man leaning on the center handrail of the staircase is Nicholas George, local theatre chain owner, builder of the Mai Kai in Livonia and other suburban cinemas

Michigan theatre before the rock turds destroyed it

from the new batch at WSU-Virtual Motor City

Gistok

Post Number: 4796
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice, pic! Too bad it is a reverse negative! :-)

The grand staircase started at the left side of the far end of the grand lobby (the mirrors between the columns are supposed to be on the left side of the grand staircase (with the Grand River Ave. outside wall of the building behind the mirrors).

The mezzanine and balcony levels overlooked the lobby on the right side of the grand staircase, with openings between the columns (no mirrors) for viewing the grand lobby.

56packman

Post Number: 1501
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 6:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ya happy now?

THERE! are you happy?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1884
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So all this was gone, just 10 years after the picture was taken? Amazing.

Exmotowner

Post Number: 347
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please let me know when the tour of the michigan is, Im gonna try and make it up there!

Carm
Username: Carm

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My husband and I are interested too.

Gistok

Post Number: 4800
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks 56packman! :-)

From what you see in this picture...

Here's what was removed in 1977...

1) the grand staircase.
2) the marble veneer along the 1st floor walls.
3) the metalwork railings.
4) the chandelier(s).
5) the checkerboard tile flooring.

Here's what's still there today...

1) the walls with mirrors (although some mirrors were removed for ventilation openings to the outside).
2) the round and square faux marble Corinthian columns (along 3 of the 4 walls of the lobby).
3) the ornate plasterwork around the mirrors or balconies (again 3 out of 4).
4) the grand lobby's entire ornate plaster ceiling.

56packman

Post Number: 1502
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok--I was in the Michigan in March of 1977 just before and during the removal of all of the items you listed. A company from California called the Golden Movement emporium bought everything in the building that was decorative (non-structural) and removed all of the light fixtures, railings, sinks, entire sections of plaster. I did occasional work for a friend in the motion picture projection equipment sales/repair, he bought the Michigan booth equipment. We removed the two Simplex XL projection and sound heads, the arc lamphouses and power supplies. Left everything else, as it had no commercial value. I remember very clearly taking these large Arc lamp power supplies ("rectifiers") down the balcony staircases and grand staircase with all of the railings gone. This tall box weighing hundreds of lbs. on an appliance dolly going down those stairs--fun!

Exmotowner

Post Number: 349
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have any link to the Bijou theater that was on monroe that closed in 1959? Would love to see an inside pic. (yes I did the search thing and found nothing).

Mattric43

Post Number: 160
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56 That must have been a sight! Do you still do projection work?

Stromberg2
Username: Stromberg2

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in on this. Thanks Mr. Pieroni and Gistok.

Stromberg2

Gistok

Post Number: 4816
Posted on Thursday, July 12, 2007 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but 56packman can strumm a few notes on a 5/28 Wurlitzer.. (oops, forgot it's been upgraded to a 5/32 since it moved from the Michigan Theatre to Racine WI in 1956). :-)

Or better yet on a 4/36 (New York Paramount duplicate) Wurlitzer, like at the Fox! :-)

Speaking of which... 56packman are you going to be available on August 18 for the theatre tours?

56packman

Post Number: 1503
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mattric--I stopped running film years ago, I left the business because I didn't like being handed a check on payday Friday and then told "don't cash it until Tuesday" or the occasional bouncing check. I also didn't like working while everyone else was off work enjoying themselves. It was fun, I ran several booths in town, ran 70mm "ultra-Cinerama" at the Summit (1977 "2001" retro-run) and got to run a drive-in for a month, back when we still had those. I went to work in Industrial electronics (force sensing) and liked the regular, good paychecks and hours.

Gistok--Yeah, I'll do it.

Mattric43

Post Number: 169
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

56 I hear ya it's a pain. I've been there a couple of times. Good for you on the move. We still have drive-ins. I like going to the ford-wyoming. Double Features and if you theater hop like back in the ol' days you got multiple features.lol

Have we figured out if the tour of the michigan basement will be separate or is it going to be included in with one of the normal tours?

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 1901
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm in for the Pieroni-Gistok tour. Definitely.

Fordaspiregv
Username: Fordaspiregv

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am new, but I would love to go. Just let me know when. :-)

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2368
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sign me up for Gistok's tour as I have been inside the Michigan Theatre site only once, during the Super Bowl when we snagged the last parking spot in the building on that Friday night. Boy, were we deliriously happy for that turn of events!!

Gistok

Post Number: 4822
Posted on Friday, July 13, 2007 - 5:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I've been pretty busy.

But I just sent Mr. Pieroni a list of questions regarding:

1) which Saturday availability and what time?
2) places in former theatre/office block that can be accessed?
3) closed off areas that we may access?
4) safety issues (can people bring children since there are no railings?)
5) Fee?
6) Flashlights/Photography?
7) Number of attendees?
8) Last minute walk ins?

And other issues.

Stay tuned! :-)
Gistok

Gistok

Post Number: 4830
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 2:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Pieroni is out of town for a few days, so tour information will have to wait a few more days.

However, I am thinking on putting together a small (10 pages or so) group of photocopies of "before" pictures of the Michigan... so that those going on the tour can compare (and lament) the "after" scene of the theatre.

I am also gathering some information on C. W. & George L. Rapp (Rapp & Rapp) the architects of the Michigan.

Rapp & Rapp were most famous across the country as theatre architects that "brought the glories of royal France to America" in their theatre designs.

The 4,050 seat Michigan (1926) was the 3rd largest design of the many Rapp & Rapp theatres across the country (only exceded by the 4,381 seat Uptown (1925) in northern Chicago, intact but closed, and the 4,084 seat Brooklyn Paramount (1929), a Long Island University basketball court and cafeteria today... but still 95% intact).

However the Chicago Uptown was a Spanish design, and the Brooklyn Paramount was a "reverse atmospheric" design. So the Michigan was the largest Rapp & Rapp French designed theatre.

Interestingly enough the next largest Rapp & Rapp design was their favorite... the 3,800 seat Chicago Theatre (1921) in the loop (performing arts today). Of course, Rapp & Rapp had their offices in Chicago, so they were partial to the Chicago Theatre.

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 90
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stepping way out of line here, but after watching the video of The Nice Device, I wondered if Mr. Pieroni would consider investing in a portable dance floor that could be set up on the 3rd floor parking deck?

I know that the Detroit Contra dancers recently lost their space at the wonderful Dearborn Ford dance hall. Contra dancing has live music featuring music that Henry Ford promoted and for which he built dance halls all across America to dance. It seems very befitting that if another home could be established, that it would help the dance community and continue a legacy that Ford built.

Granted, it is not Dearborn, but if Mr. Pieroni would be willing, it could become a very special place again in the arts.

Just a thought...

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 735
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for taking control here Gistok!

Gistok

Post Number: 4833
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peachlaser,

I can't speak for Mr. Pieroni... but there are way too many areas in the former Michigan Theatre that folks could get into that are not well enough secured with railings, etc. It would probably be (as he has repeatedly alluded to) an insurance agents nightmare!

From the top of the 3 story parking deck, agile people, for example, can easily climb into not-quite-sealed-off area north of the main lobby, that contains staircases, elevators, bathrooms and circulation space.

In that dimly lit area (without electricity) one could easily trip or fall amongst the debris in the dark recesses of many stories of stairs, rooms and a jumble of spaces that are stacked upon each other.

And then there's the parking ramp that folks are not allowed upon (except via a vehicle), but there's no barrier to prevent them from walking on it. It has rather low sides (no railings).

Again, it's not my decision, but after having been inside the cavernous space over a dozen times, I can pretty much guess Mr. Pieroni's answers to your questions.

When he gets back in town, he'll give you a definitive answer.

Scs_scooter
Username: Scs_scooter

Post Number: 22
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A tour would be fantastic! Sign me up, too. I worked for the credit card company that was based there many moons ago. (early 80's) I was assigned a parking spot on the third level and cringed every time I had to go up another level praying no one was coming down. We used to take our own tours on that level and with eyes closed, would pretend it was the "hey-day" again. I worked on the 13th floor...had to use two elevators to get up there. Too lazy to walk the last flight! My office looked out to Bagley and I loved watching the mounted police officers cruising the area, the always entertaining street folks and of course I was a patron of Sharlays and McNallys. What a great area. I took my Mom down to my office one day and she explained where the lobby was and how she and Dad would go downtown to the Michigan Bldg to listen to the big bands of the era. We left for Troy when NBD bought out our little company. Heavy sigh!. Sign me up, please!!(Hey Gistok, I'm the one that bought the Mi Bldg booklets from you last summer!!!)

Scottr

Post Number: 578
Posted on Saturday, July 14, 2007 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't realize the Brooklyn Paramount was also Rapp & Rapp. Wow, if they could see what their creations have become today - although the Brooklyn one could have been worse, at least it was left mostly intact. I actually think it's a shame they don't play their games there anymore, i would have made it a point to go to one should i ever visit NYC.

I had a similar idea to Peachlaser's when I was watching the video too - should it ever be feasible to do so, the existing space, as is, with no restoration, would make an amazing concert space in its own right. Well, probably not acoustically, but with some acoustic panels, that could be improved so that it doesn't sound quite so much like a concert in a parking deck.

I'm not saying it's likely or even possible, but it would be cool.