Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detnews: Det close to snagging Quicken » Quicken Consolidated Archive » Archive through July 17, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4838
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When One Detroit Center (Comerica Tower) was built back in 1991, it was labeled the largest office building downtown at 1 million sq. ft. It edged out the 880,000 sq. ft. Penobscot Building. I cannot find stats on the Compuware HQ, but I believe that it too is around 1 to 1.1 million. Emporis states that the future addition to the building would be 325,000 sq. ft., but that doesn't really help answer the question.

As far as how tall a new Quicken HQ would be? That is not easily determined. With the Statler site, one has to factor in the fact that the People Mover cuts into a significant corner of the block. And since we don't know whether it will be a blocky building (like Compuware) or a tower/block combo (like the Book complex) or just a tower (like Comerica), it's pure speculation at this point, without any easy answers.

My personal choice would be something like the Book complex, with a bulky base and a tower. I would like to see a building that goes out to the sidewalk on all sides, rather than a tower with a plaza out front and around it (like Comerica Tower).

Of course, if it ends up on the Hudson's block, it'll be short and blocky (no more than 15 stories).

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 352
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would assume parking would only go up about 10 stories tops, so after that, they could use the entire 75,000 sf. Thus, a 15-20 story tower is likely, unless more jobs than expected come, or they are thinking for the future, they 30 + is feasible.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 254
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it ends up on the Statler site, I think having a very small plaza area facing Grand Circus Park would be a great design feature. It would provide some great opportunities for outdoor seating for any potential first floor restaurant (ESPNZone?)that might wish to locate in the building.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5802
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I made a mistake with Compuware.

As for One Detroit Center, it has rentable area of 951,324 square feet, with the 1.6 million being gross square footage (i.e. including elevator floor space, mechanical rooms/levels, ect..)

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 355
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ah, thanks for the clarification LMich.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4847
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes thanks for that info Lmichigan. By describing One Detroit Center (Comerica), you gave us a clue as to how when buildings get taller and taller, the "law of diminishing returns" sets in for office versus mechanical and elevator space.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5803
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, my only point was that there is no way to judge with any certainty how this could go. He could got for a signature, multi-tenant skyscraper (One Detroit Center), or a stand-alone corporate mid-rise (Compuware). I personally think that Quicken will do something in between, but who knows? The suspense is killing me.

BTW, Compuware contains 1,088,000 sq ft of rentable floor area, and 1,200,000 sq ft gross with the option to fill in the wedge with another 325,000 sq ft (gross). Also, most can't tell unless they look very closely from the outside, but the entire two top floors of Compuware are actually mechanical space.

(Message edited by lmichigan on July 16, 2007)

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 332
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, I say we start a Quicken Calendar...kinda like a baby calendar where everyone gets to pick the day that the announcement is made (whether to be dwntwn or not). Who will be the first to post the media article?...Probably everybody and their mother all at once. lol

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, while we're having all this speculatory business on the thread, another update should be arriving within the next 2 weeks.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 313
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where did that timetable come from? And really, what does update mean in this situation. Its either a yes or no. No updates in between.

Urbanize

Post Number: 1751
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, no one said he would be making hbis yes or no decision this time around.

Somewhere in this thread, the New Article said between the date printed and August 1st.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm voting announcement to be made Wednesday July 25th

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3239
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It will be on 7/26.

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If it helps for determining height, the number of parking spaces required will prob. be at least 3/1,000 SF of office space, but more likely 4/1,000 SF.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5805
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are we automatically assuming this structure will sit above a parking garage? It would seem much more likely to me that the parking garage will be built as a separate structure, most likely on the Tuller lot if we're talking the Statler site, much in the same way Compuware's garage is behind its headquarters.

Emu_steve
Username: Emu_steve

Post Number: 413
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"Who will be the first to post the media article?.."

I'll have it by 4:30 a.m. on July xx.

I just couldn't put myself up to specifying the exact date.

But if pushed, it will be Thursday, July 26. (I'll be up early).

Urbanize

Post Number: 1759
Posted on Monday, July 16, 2007 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll just find out like everyone else, See and hear it during the 5 O'Clock News on WDIV!

(Message edited by Urbanize on July 16, 2007)

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 33
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, the Statler site is decent size, maybe they will build the office tower with some height, and build the parking garage on the Bagley/Clifford corner of the Statler site, plus the people mover actually cuts through that corner of the site (ie: possible PM station)

(Message edited by motorcitydave on July 17, 2007)

(Message edited by motorcitydave on July 17, 2007)

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 9
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 2:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Expect an announcement by the first of the month.

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 657
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

GM offered a part of it's land between Atwater and Franklin and St Antoine and Schweizer

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1137
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Compuware's garage is both beside AND below.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3248
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's good to know and not surprising. It makes sense that GM would offer that, and it's good to see that they are aggressively trying to get something built there.

In the end, it's better that a mixed use, residential-focused building goes in there.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 389
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was actually thinking, and I think Quicken wouldn't be too bad there. Depending on how Rivertown develops, if Quicken made a nice tower, it could be a nice focus for the area.

And it has the bang Mr. Gilbert wants, plus waterfront sign visibility, and it would probably be easier to develop than the other sites.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3458
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Expect an announcement by the first of the month.

Yawn! What month?

Mackinaw

Post Number: 3257
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With correct marketing, the E. Riverfront could boom and become something unbelievable if Rock put their HQ there. I think it will be incredible regardless (and just having Quicken downtown will help create demand for riverfront housing), but wow, imagine how vibrant it would be. Let's say 500 of the probable 3000 downtown Quicken/Rock employees created E. Riverfront households by 2015. That would be a total of probably around 1000 residents thanks to Quicken alone, in addition to hopefully a few hundred Ren Cen workers, in addition to a few hundred randoms. Imagine that...and all the people who could walk or bike to work.

Ideally, Rock would choose one of the gaping, empty city owned lots that we need first and foremost, and another major employer joins GM and EDS there on the waterfront. Remember we want a mixed-use waterfront neighborhood. Ideally I think 60/25/15 for residential/offices/retail square footage is the best breakdown for this mixed use district (excluding the Ren Cen).

Urbanize

Post Number: 1776
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0716/SUB/707150317

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2453
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what if he decided to rehab something existing?

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 648
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I vote for Art Deco.. EXACTLY Quinn has shown.. that is PERFECT for the GCP area.. It blends in.. AND on top of it.. MAKE SURE it's tall like at least 40 stories or taller.. Make an impact on the skyline.. but don't make it obsene..

I see the skyline from i-75 coming into downtown.. right out the delray area.. MAN what I sight.. It's like driving into chicago.. when you first see downtown.. makes your jaw drop.. one of these days.. ON a light traffic day.. I will have to take a picture near dusk of the Detroit Skyline from the I-75 bridge near Delray.. Amazing site.. I want to be able to see the building from there..

Urbanize

Post Number: 1784
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, It's the same looking from the NE side of Midtown.

It looks so big from a distance (at least in from certain directions).

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11636
Posted on Tuesday, July 17, 2007 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11627
Posted on Friday, July 06, 2007 - 5:33 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Here is another option that hasn't been considered. At one time, Compuware had proposed building another tower next to the RenCen. Obviously, the plans haven't taken effect, and any first phase expansion to Compuware would first be built behind their current building, as was also already planned out.

So, while I don't think a riverfront HQ would be the best option for the city nor in terms of spurring spinoff development, considering the closeness between Gilbert and Karmanos, this could be an option. Anybody remember the details of the Compuware tower along the river? Do they own the land, or the rights to this spot? Or was it to be built on GM's property, which is now being developed into condos.

This is old news, I announced this shit 10 days ago. Go figure