Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detnews: Det close to snagging Quicken » Quicken Consolidated Archive » Archive through July 20, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I don't see why Rock wouldn't want a riverfront site.

The river is the #1 physical feature asset of the city - and it gives you instant presence right on the skyline that most people consider "Detroit." It also makes for a really strong corporate neighborhood, using the waterfront as tie-together.

I think the riverfront HQ will be the choice (someone's gotta say it). It's the right choice as far as what workers would like (who doesn't want to work next to the water, and go to get coffee and sit by the river? Sounds like a great trade for most people).

Also, it makes commuting very direct (notice I didn't say easy - I bet traffic would be very heavy), almost no sidestreets to deal with from the freeway for the 5,000 workers. Get off of 375, bend left, you're there.

If I were a betting man, that's where I think it will go, looking at the facts and thinking about it.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 5808
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is after recent reports clearly indicate Quicken has not been in contact with GM since last year, and Quicken having eluded, itself, to the consideration of the Hudson and Statler sites, not to mention Quicken clearly wanting to make a statement, which would be overshadowed by the GM RenCen on the riverfront.

Number1
Username: Number1

Post Number: 4
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What are the chances that a new Quicken building could significantly impact Detroit's skyline? Is it possible that a company would build a 40+ story tower for 5000 employees?

Digitalvision

Post Number: 252
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been in business too long, Lmichigan, to believe "reports" or anything with these kinds of deals, or any deal for that matter. People of this level can and do meet all the time and no one will know or if they know, say anything publicly.

What matters is the relationships they can leverage, the unreported meetings, and frankly, whatever Gilbert and his team feel is the best deal to their criteria, to which we can only speculate as to what it is.

It could all be B.S. - they want everyone speculating. It only helps their buzz - this forum has given them tens of thousands of dollars worth (if not more) in free publicity through them keeping this close to the vest. And for that, I already give them kudos.

p.s. - I want the HQ in downtown proper at the Hudson or Statler site - but I also realize people's motivations are different than mine.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5810
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My only point was that I think you're overplaying the attractiveness of the riverfront site to Quicken. The city offers have to be more attractive to Quicken. They've got a lot more to give away to Quicken in terms of a deal than GM does. The riverfront site, I think, makes much less sense to Quicken.

Granmontrules
Username: Granmontrules

Post Number: 127
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would prefer they were on statler or hudson - but I would not blame them for going water front! They are in a business to make money and they realize their property values will only go up over time.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 366
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think their property value will go up over time at either the Statler or Hudson's site. Save the riverfront to house the people who work at Quicken.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1254
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It could all be B.S. - they want everyone speculating. It only helps their buzz

However, if they don't follow through with something significant, i.e. building a new skyscraper, it will hurt their brand and the reputations of the company and Gilbert. Rock/Quicken has spent way too much money on advertising to build its brand name. Gilbert also wants a seat at the table of Detroit's corporate elite and not following through on the hype will basically prove to be a major set back in that goal. All of this hype can be a double-edged sword.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 299
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they should build a tower on the Tuller site connected to the UA building, and restore the UA office building and the theater for their corporate purposes.

Digitalvision

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh I agree completely, E-hemingway. That's part of supporting the thought that they'll move downtown. I was more referring to the location as to particularly where they are going within Detroit.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 440
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here's what i don't get... it would seem to me that building on GM site might lost Gilbert some city/state funding? maybe i'm wrong here, but I would have guessed that the city would use its leverage (mainly financial) to place the HQ on their land...

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 132
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for speculation, my birthday is 7/27, so I'll say he'll make it 7/27 for the Statler site.

Planner_727
Username: Planner_727

Post Number: 133
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another point to consider re: visibility/prime loaction on the riverfront... a tall tower in GCP (whitney or scott tower height or more) would be visible in every Tigers broadcast, esp. with a neon or lighted sign on top!!!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4868
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do think that Gilbert will want to take advantage of whatever "zones" (enterprise or renaissance, or whatever) that the building is in for reduced costs, as well as making a bigger bang for the buck. And then there's historic tax credits if a restored UA is included in the the project.

I think that due to the size of the number of people he wants to bring downtown that neither the Statler or Tuller site alone is big enough... it would probably be both blocks, as a mixed use development.

And if he were to choose the Hudson block, he has underground parking already for that site, but would it be enough? Plus I don't think he wants just a midrise box (like Compuware).

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1255
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has been talk of building a pedestrian skywalk from the Hudsons site to Compuware's garage for whatever is built there.

E_hemingway

Post Number: 1258
Posted on Wednesday, July 18, 2007 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, my guess for the announcement is July 22.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 145
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HOLY CRAP. I heard something today, working at the ol' Quicken that would make you people salivate. It was credible. Trust me on that. It was DAMN sexy, too. Of course, what I heard was not told to me by Gilbert himself, so I am not going to say it here. What if it turned out to be untrue? But, if it is (and it looks that way), a lot of you people are veeeeery close on your predictions. I hate to tease you all like this...but put your optimism in overdrive, please.

(Message edited by kid dynamite on July 19, 2007)

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Give a hint, close on which predictions?

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3290
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's teasing! Stop!

...well it won't be in the riverfront district...

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 759
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not gonna lie, I have been thinking about Quicken more than my girlfriend the last couple of days. This anticipation is killing me.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well...I'll only say this...I heard it looked BIG

that's all I'll say.

Toog05
Username: Toog05

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BIG as in tall?

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1235
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grrrrrrrrrr. Stop teasing us already. I second what Mackinaw said.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 5818
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*praying for it to be a new city's tallest...*

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 622
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kid, you're killing us! (but in a good way, its better than 'you guys are gonna hate this...')

Thanks for the info, even if you can't be specific. :-)

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 3291
Posted on Thursday, July 19, 2007 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dstar, that is not healthy behavior haha.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4890
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 2:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kid_dynamite, thanks for your teasing and tantalizing non-information. It kinda tells us that the riverfront is out of the picture.

That would leave the Hudson's and Statler & UA/Tuller sites.

Well the Hudson's site can't support more than about 16 floors... and the sight lines of a 16 story Quicken Building are rather poor, partly because Woodward isn't that wide. Even when J. L. Hudson's was there the building was rather difficult to view from the narrow street (this same problem is experienced by the Empire State Building for those who have been to NYC).

So I tend to think that the Statler and UA/Tuller site is more on the mark (lots of exposure to the downtown street scene).

But something else came to mind when I read your comments. That was the Whitney Building. What if Quicken also purchases the David Whitney Building? It's in much better shape than the UA Building, and would require much less rehab. And it has a People Mover station. If a PM station on the SW corner of the Statler site is not an option, then a skywalk across Washington Blvd. to the Whitney Building could take care of PM access.

Maybe the "BIG" that Kid_dynamite is talking about includes the Whitney Building (say for some of his and other companies moving downtown) and maybe the Statler is his Quicken HQ location. Of course if the Whitney is included, it may mean that the Statler site won't be as tall as some had hoped. But even if it was the same scale and footprint as the former Statler Hotel... who could complain?

That would leave the United Artists Building and Theatre, as well as the Tuller site. Could the building become residential? Possibly, since it would be gutted anyway. And I pray that the theatre finds a new life. For me that would be the most exciting part.

And that leaves the Tuller site. A huge parking structure with condos facing GCP? Or will parking be included in the base of the Statler site, thus meaning a taller building? I don't know. But even if the Tuller site is for future expansion/development, one could hardly complain.

Still clueless, but happier!! :-)

(Message edited by Gistok on July 20, 2007)

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 431
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 7:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok now im freaking out.. We are so passionate about this and many other projects going on downtown. I wake up daily hoping ill open the freepress and see a huge layout from the freepress, like a 10 page report on the new Quicken Loan headquarter. This passion we are all feeling will pay off. This is what Detroit needs. wew

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 141
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe theyll announce a press conference on monday. Much like Downtown_remix every morning I check this board hoping to see a new thread with confirmation. The Quicken to put HQ on riverfront almost gave me a heart attack. It was bittersweet and am glad it was false.

Downtown_remix
Username: Downtown_remix

Post Number: 432
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this affects me even more directly cause I live right next to the statler site. lookin, staring, amagining, freaking out, Trolley plaza ,, starting aug 1st,(timeing is ironic) will be managed by a quicken loan affiliate company, Habitat, so its a no brainer its going there.