Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Fort Wayne » Historic Fort Wayne Coalition Workday - Sat. Aug. 18 » Thanks for the help at Historic Fort Wayne « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Usnsubvet77
Username: Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Echoing what PlymouthRes stated in a previous post...
I CANNOT believe how the members of this forum came through on such short notice at Fort Wayne!

I have never been so proud of so many people as I was on Saturday looking at the progress and sharing the excitement of doing something productive, measurable and effective.

DetroitYES! Forum members MikeM, Scs100 and his dad, PlymouthRes, myself and Mikie were absolutely incredible. the amount of work accomplished in a few short, but hot hours paid in dividends that cannot yet be calculated.

The removal of the growth from the mortar will not only ensure the preservation of the fort wall, but with the removal of the brush along the interior side of the wall opened up the fort to show it's grandeur.

We had approx 22 people assisting the Fort this Saturday. SIX of them were from this forum!

I cannot thank you enough for all of your dedication. The Historic Fort Wayne Coalition has well surpassed the 2000 volunteer man-hour milestone this year and it isn't even August yet!

Thanks to people like you who see something hopeful and make it reality; who see something dismal and bring in the sun; who see something that needs aid and comes to its rescue.

You are what the spirit of Detroit is made of.

Here are some pics of the Coalition workday with the DetroitYES Forum members...

Pete
Username: Pete

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm happy to see so many people volunteering, but it begs a question from me: who should be performing the work that you guys are doing?

Actually, a more general question I have is who should be operating and maintaining this historic and important piece of property on the Detroit River? Obviously, the situation now is not ideal whatsoever...my ideal situation would be to put Fort Wayne and Belle Isle in the hands of the Riverfront Conservancy (including an extension of the Riverwalk all the way to Fort Wayne) and let them handle it.

(Message edited by pete on July 23, 2007)

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1250
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure Plymouth will correct me at some point because I'm almost positive that I've either mixed something up or am forgetting something. From what I remember hearing, the fort itself is controlled by the feds (I believe the National Parks Service) and they are controlling what can and can't be done. For example, there is one building next to the visitors center that has absolutely no floors left in it because they all rotted away and collapsed. However, we are not allowed to demolish the building. On the other hand, the hospital building on the other side is a complete loss and is going to be demolished. The organization we are with is the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition. I highly doubt the Riverwalk could get sent to Ft. Wayne, considering you would have to go right through the Port and that would be a nightmare to get through. I don't think the Riverfront Conservancy would be able to obtain it in the near future.

Usnsubvet77
Username: Usnsubvet77

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The answer to the question of who should be doing the work is really this. We are an interested party assisting the City with maintaining this site. Similarly with the Detroit Zoo and Detroit Historical Museum <correct>.

Because of lack of funding for necessary city services, we, through our work and manpower, are a catalyst between the Parks and Rec, the City and the work getting done. The Fort Wayne Coalition currently sits on a Fort Wayne advisory board consisting of members from the congressional, senatorial, mayoral and governor staffs. It is essentially a steering committee designed to guide the Fort into future use.

I personally sit on the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition Projects Planning Committee with PlymouthRes of this forum. Not that I do not think that the Riverfront Conservancy can do any better of a job; I certainly do not think that one committee or organization is better suited than another in this case. That is unless the only vision for the Fort property is condos and development. However, I would recommend seeing what the Coalition has done for the Fort since it’s inception in 2004 before writing it off as substandard to the works of the Conservancy. It would be extraordinarily premature to think the Historic Fort Wayne Coalition as only a small band of weekend volunteers with no direction or goals.

The organization and goals of the Coalition are consistent with the City and we are proceeding forth offering the city our services to help mitigate, revitalize and repair. The Coalition’s role also is a recommending function for structural correction or rehabilitation with the strict approval of the City. Our assistance with grounds maintenance has the full support of the City as we truck in tractors and bushhogs, power equipment to curb what the City is unable to do at this time. A total enrollment of over 150 people and 2200+ volunteer hours is indicative of the dedication and determination to bring the Fort back to a safe, usable, educational historic site. One example of this is the Civil War Days event that was just held July 7-9. Over 2500 people came to see the Fort is living action. All sponsored and orchestrated by the Coalition.

Scs100 is correct with saying that the Fort is under operational control of the City. According the Federal lease agreement in 1947 or 1949 when the Fort was leased to the City, there are very strict rules and guidelines set forth as to what can or cannot be done with the Fort. The Historical Preservation arm of the State and the NPS are the actual controlling authorities of the Fort.

Granted yes, the current situation is not completely idealistic. But, with the help of members from this forum and volunteers who come all the way from Flint, Lapeer, Waterford, Plymouth, and Detroit the usability and history of the Fort is maintained. The Coalition is strong enough to maintain the Fort. Consider us the Conservancy of Fort Wayne.

I just hope that anyone who has believes in the Fort, the history that is there and the idea that it can become something great again to please join us again at our workdays. Don’t get me wrong, it is a lot of work and you may be frustrated when you see some of the Fort. As we say at the Fort, "You can only eat an elephant one forkful at a time."

Pete
Username: Pete

Post Number: 83
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just to be clear, I was in no way implying that the work of the Fort Wayne Coalition was substandard simply because I wasn't even familiar with the Coalition. You've answered my question in great detail! And it's great to hear about the success you are having. (I've only been to Fort Wayne for soccer games, and always thought that a fully rehabilitated fort would be a great tourist attraction for this region.)

My initial post was reactionary to two thoughts I was having at the time. First, as a resident of the City of Detroit, I'm sick of the Motor City Makeover and doing the work in my neighborhood that the City should be doing. I'm not anti-volunteering - it's just that I've donated innumerable hours of my time to non-profits in this city over the last few years that I'm burned out, and when I read about your post about the great work done at the Fort this past weekend, it just triggered in me that little bit of anger with the state of this city and the general lack of maintenance of infrastructure that they should be performing. The other thing I thought about was how you always hear people gripe here and there about how the Metropark Authority should take over Belle Isle, which I think is a poor idea, but I do think the Riverfront Conservancy would be well suited to eventually running Belle Isle, which led to my thought about Fort Wayne. I thought I did hear in the past, though, that some long-term plans had a bicycle path/greenway tying into Fort Wayne with some kind of connection to the riverfront.

Anyway, keep up the great work, and I'll do more to educate myself about what you guys are up to.

(Message edited by pete on July 23, 2007)

Plymouthres
Username: Plymouthres

Post Number: 124
Posted on Thursday, July 26, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pete-

I just saw your posts to this thread today so I apologize for not chiming in sooner. There is no reason to apologize as there was no implication about the Coalition at all in your statement. You were asking a question in regard to something you didn't know about.

Subvet and I also share your frustration with the City and State's inability to maintain the Fort. It is indicative of a breakdown in the most simple of services, which is echoed day in and day out across the City. We have difficulty getting the lawn mowed on a regular basis, so the pictures that you see here are a statement of what a few dedicated volunteers can do.

If I may, please let me respond to your statement about being burned-out in regard to volunteering in the City. It would be a great mistake for you to give up on the volunteering of your time. You are making a difference, but you are feeling the pain that we as volunteers share daily-am I making
a difference or am I wasting my time?

The reason that I volunteer is very similar to what Kwame said in his State of the City speech this year-no one is coming to save us-if we want something done, we must go out and do it ourselves. I believe that we cannot count on the City for much assistance as they can barely take care of themselves!! We must go out and TAKE BACK all of the things that make the D great!! Don't ever give up, as this will only embolden those that are seeking to steal away all of our good.

Subvet and I have a passion for the Fort-many more folks on this forum have a passion for various other "gems" that they write about. We must ALL pull together to RE-TAKE what has been apathetically given over to those who could care less about our City. As volunteers, we must believe that we are making a difference, and we are. Just because your efforts have not made the national news doesn't mean your effort wasn't noticed-just not promoted.

As for the Motor City Makeover, I personally watched the SW Detroit area come alive with volunteers that day, all along Fort street from Woodmere to the Post Office. The volunteers that I saw did a great job, and the area looked great because of their efforts. Does it still look that good today? No, but I know now what it would look like if those kind of events were done more often, and I will be volunteering with them again next year because it is my hope to lead by example and that is the least that I can do to help reach that end.

As for the City ever doing anything to help out, I wouldn't count on it. They try, but when you think about it, they can barely maintain what they have, and they are always behind the eightball. That is where we come in.

Finally, who would you suggest should come forward to maintain the Fort? Wouldn't you rather have a very devoted group(albiet small!) who cared tremendously about the Fort and were capable of interpreting it's history? In the end, we are the only ones who are there to save the Fort, and I have no problem with that, as I personally get a great feeling when I'm down there working. It is never a fruitless endeavor-each time I am there I go away with a better and better feeling that the place will be there for another 100 years!!!

I do like your ideas as well!! I also agree with your statement that it would be a great tourist attraction-even in it's dilapitated state, we get a regular flow of visitors every day, as there are guided tours available daily. We could always use more visitors and help, so feel free to volunteer anytime you wish! We can always use the help!!

For your info, the Coalition has a website:http\www.historicfortwaynecoalition .com.
Check us out!!

Thanks for the encouragement!!
Hopefully, we will see you at the next workday August 18th!!

PlymouthRes