Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Council Woman meets with Krogers » Archive through July 24, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard on WJLB today the Monica Conyers had a meeting with some higher ups from Kroger today. Has anyone else heard about this, or the outcome of the meeting?

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1332
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 11:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They'll feed here the same soup about high operating costs in the D I'm sure. This will lead to them being promised a sweetheart deal with all types of tax breaks, which will cause Kroger to open just ONE store in the City. This store however will experience retail fraud, and crime and require security people (Just like stores in the burbs do), and Cincanatti will ultimately shudder it in 4 years.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"and require security people (Just like stores in the burbs do)"

Which stores are those? None that I shop at.

Conman
Username: Conman

Post Number: 32
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She was pitching the idea of naming a store after her husband.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1194
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^LOL!

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1333
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Kroger at Universal Mall has a security guy. The Kroger in RO Twp has them too. My FJs at 9 and John R never had security folks. Kroger just opened that location as one of their own today, and I'm betting it will have a security guard.

(Message edited by cambrian on July 20, 2007)

Dustin89
Username: Dustin89

Post Number: 60
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just saw the coverage of this on Channel 7's noon broadcast. There were the usual comments about tax incentives and finding a location in the city for Kroger, but then Conyers said (I think in front of the rep. from Kroger) something about racism factoring into a decision by Kroger not to purchase either of the closed FJ's in the city. This seems like a dumb comment, all the way around: I think Kroger might be receptive to opening another store in Detroit, given the right tax incentives and location, and Conyers feels the need to make a baseless comment like that. If anything, Kroger probably decided not to purchase one of the old FJ's because they would not be profitable enough for them. I suspect Kroger will end up back in the city after getting a sweetheart tax deal.

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 331
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cambrian --- the Farmer Jack's on 9 and John R had a security guard after 6pm for about the past 7 or 8 years.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 989
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do not understand why the closed Farmer Jack on E. Jefferson and Piper Blvd did not become a Kroger. It looks like it would have been a good location for thousands of Detroit and Grosse Point Park shoppers.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 546
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I go to the Kroger @ Maple and Coolidge and also the one @ Maple and Woodward and I never see security guards...

Wash_man
Username: Wash_man

Post Number: 460
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The former FJ now Kroger I go to has never had a security guard. What ever happened to Monica Conyers regarding the bar fight she was in?

Monicaprimary
Username: Monicaprimary

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every Meijer's in SE Michigan has a lost prevention team and security cameras.

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 301
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's "Meijer," as in "Meijer Thrifty Acres." and it's not "Krogers" either....just like it's not "Fords."

In any event,playing the R card while meeting with Kroger officials is a sure-fire way to get them to invest in the city. She might as well have brought along a family of shoplifters for a meet n'greet.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/a pps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/2007 0720/REG/70720001/1060/FREE

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 537
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Black America is good for Kroger, as Detroit will be??"

What the fuck. I guess as a white detroiter I am not allowed in the Detroit Kroger (which probably wont ever exsit), according to Mr Sam Riddle, the annoying chief of staff for conyers

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 759
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its a shame that John Conyers is married to a racist.
She blames racism in everything she talks about.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 378
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Employee theft can literally shut a business down completely with results that affect its employees and its neighborhoods. It just happened here in Houston..

http://www.wxiatv.com/news/art icle_news.aspx?storyid=100324

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6242
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the reason why Monica Conyers is taking to Kroger's because of its xenophobic fears of black folks may clown around and rob their supermarkets. Kroger's left Detroit for the second time and the supermarket chain is not coming back to Detroit anytime soon. They screw Detroit and retreated to the suburbs to hide.

Quozl

Post Number: 992
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Employee theft can literally shut a business down completely with results that affect its employees and its neighborhoods. It just happened here in Houston..

WRONG!

Janesback, you better go back and read that story again. The "Houston's Finest Sports Bar and Cigar Lounge" is NOT located in Houston, Texas. It is located in Snellville, Georgia which is 20 something miles northeast of Atlanta.

Janesback

Post Number: 379
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually, we have a Needville and a Mykawa, which is south east of town, and a Needville East .Sorry, please excuse me for my oversight.

Quozl

Post Number: 993
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know, you also have a Pasadena, Pearland and a Sugar Land too. Heck, you even have a Richmond, Rosenberg and a Baytown. NP.

Quozl

Post Number: 994
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard of Needville, Guy, Fairchilds, Damon, Pleak and Beasley, but never heard of "Needville East" in Fort Bend County.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1242
Posted on Friday, July 20, 2007 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kroger will have a store in Detroit when/if they feel it is profitable and safe. So will other retail businesses. Until then, you can talk all you want about race and such, but it's meaningless.

They are a business, and they are not going to stay out of a market just because they feel like it. Likewise, they are not going to enter a market because you call them racists.

SHOW THEM THE MONEY. They'll be there real fast, promise.

Why
Username: Why

Post Number: 71
Posted on Saturday, July 21, 2007 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did Monica bitch slap anyone and get away with it at the meeting with Kroger?

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 269
Posted on Monday, July 23, 2007 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to laugh when she said they might boycott Krogers.
What is she going to do?
Perhaps bus picketers out to the burbs?

Eastsidelou
Username: Eastsidelou

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ugly reality that so many care so little whether nearly a million human being beings have a decent place to shop for food in their city is mind boggling. Amazing. Simply amazing.

The America I served honorably during four years of military duty should be ashamed. Food is a staple of life that should not be used to degrade anyone let alone an entire city.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2500
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 7:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Every damn store in the land has security and loss prevention.

There are no security guards at any grocery stores in Ann Arbor.

Gee whiz east side lou when patrons and employees are stealing like mad it makes one wonder exactly who should be ashamed

Janesback

Post Number: 384
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside lou, its all about money.

To enhance profits for shareholders is its goal.

Shareholders are the ones who risk their money for investing purposes. When you see an area that is high in crime, high in theft, high in drive byes, then CORPORATE AMERICA will find another location.

Starbucks wont go into a drug infested area with graffiti and prostitution and murder because most people who have money wont visit that area. People dont want to get shot when they shop so its pretty obvious that the shop would then go broke

They select safe clean enviornments that have little to none on the crime issue, clean neighborhoods and have demographics that would support this investment. Same with Kroger, who wants to lose money to thugs, employee theft, and have to invest so much in security, i.e, security guards, equipment, and anything else that helps curb theft.

The other day I stated that people who wont clean up , EVEN IF THEY RENT, are judged on the conditions of their neighborhood. You live like pigs, you shoot each other, do drugs, have graffitti and wont clean up your neighborhood, I guarantee corporations wont invest.

(Message edited by janesback on July 24, 2007)

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 119
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kroger once DID have a store in the city, and it was the worst store in the entire nation. It lost a TON of money, and Kroger admitted then that they did not know how to operate in the city.

A little birdie told me however, they after the success the new Ralph's store had in LA (Ralphs is one of Kroger's banners) Kroger is committed to opening stores in urban areas across the country including Detroit.

That same birdie told me that what is holding Kroger up is the fact that there is no site big enough in Detroit to hold a store in an area where they want to go.

That same birdie also told me she saw Paul Borman meet with Mayor Kilpatrick about the possibility of opening a chain of stores in the city- but there is that same problem with big sites.

For those of you who dont know, Paul Borman was the only person who was able to successfully operate a quality chain of stores in the city.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whatever happened to market capitalism and locals owning their own business.Bully business to move in?
good luck to all.