Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » The old Ren Cen Train Station » Archive through July 24, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Fjw718
Username: Fjw718

Post Number: 111
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anything still exist, Station or Track-wise?

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 254
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was told that during the construction of Rivard Plaza on the Riverwalk, they found a large concrete turntable just under the surface. Rather than try and remove it, they adjusted the Plaza's design. I thought the plan was to add some signage about that eventually.

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 383
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are the right aways still there making it possible for commuter service to return to the RenCen area?

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2701
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The right of way was the Dequindre cut. Most of the track is gone. The cut's about to be transformed into a park connecting tricentennial park to Eastern market.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 2899
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The right of way was the Dequindre cut. Most of the track is gone. The cut's about to be transformed into a park connecting tricentennial park to Eastern market.

Hooray for shortsightedness.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1413
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a regular biker in the area, and long-time (and once...now moved) resident of the immediate area, I believe the area where the train stopped is now a parking lot, and the tracks to that station have been built over with a parking garage.

However, the grand trunk is still there...I'm sure it's still a possibility to have trains at least come south of Jefferson and get fairly close to the renaissance center (within a few blocks)

There's a picture of the train station here: http://hometown.aol.com/motran zit/page9.htm If you notice, you can see shannon's old bar (McNarney's) in the upper left (this would be looking east)

Ndavies

Post Number: 2702
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hooray for not spending money for thirty years supporting something that no one was using.

Danindc

Post Number: 2900
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ndavies, you strike me as a reasonable person. So perhaps you can explain why it's not completely insane to demolish rail lines in an urban area.

Transitrider
Username: Transitrider

Post Number: 14
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danindc: According to the Parsons report for SEMCOG's Ann Arbor to Detroit study, the Dequindre Cut is no longer suitable for commuter rail. It's Appendix C
http://www.annarbordetroitrapi dtransitstudy.com/news/pdfs/ap pendix_c.pdf
But yes, it's a shame that the SEMTA service from Pontiac was lost.

The pathway will be on one side of the Cut, and the tracks area will remain. The Conservancy has left open the possibility that this could still be used for transit (perhaps a trolley connecting Tricentennial Park and Eastern Market.)

Ndavies

Post Number: 2703
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The rail lines weren't demolished. They disintegrated due to non use. If no trains are using the tracks why would anyone pay for the upkeep? The ROW is still there. If someone wanted to pay to put tracks back down they could.

The line is still live and in use north of Eastern market. There is still demand for freight train service north of there. There has been no demand for trains south of Gratiot since the early eighties

Danindc

Post Number: 2901
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will the multi-purpose trail preclude restoration of rail service in the future (say, for commuter rail)?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3480
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The trail presages that nothing much else will be present there. Might as well use it for something better than homeless/drinking/drugs/thugs.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1842
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MICHIGAN - GRAND TRUNK WESTERN RR - To abandon a 1.31 mile segment of the Dequindre Line between m.p. 1.77 and m.p. 0.46 in Detroit, Michigan. Final Decision by January 28, 2000. (STB Docket No. AB-31, Sub No. 36X, decided October 21, served November 1, 1999)

http://www.stb.dot.gov/ (Their db seems to be down right now)

About the track north of this:

http://thefederalregister.com/ d.p/2000-10-04-00-25245

Ndavies

Post Number: 2704
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the early concepts I saw for the park included protection for future use to include rail. I don't know if that is still in the designs.

The biggest problem with the route is it's inherent separation from the population centers. It could really only service the RenCen and Eastern market. I think you would be better off terminating the route at Eastern market and transferring people to busses/light rail/cabs there. I don't see the bang for the buck to run it all the way into the east riverfront/RenCen. I don't believe the extra people you would pick up for the one stop extra would justify the couple of miles of additional track.

This is the same issue that doomed the service in the first place. It was only good at getting you to the RenCen.

I think the ideal solution would be for a commuter train to come in from pontiac and terminate near the amtrack station in New Center. This line could then be extended to connect Dearborn, the airport and Ann Arbor. You would then add a light rail line that ran along Woodward from New Center to downtown. This would connect to the People mover.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1843
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I was told that during the construction of Rivard Plaza on the Riverwalk, they found a large concrete turntable just under the surface

There were two of them in that area: the old Lake Shore and Michigan Southern RR at Atwater and Rivard, and the Detroit, Grand Haven, and Milwaukee RR at Guoin and Orleans. Both of them were there in the 1880s, not sure when they went out of use.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2357
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

There has been no demand for trains south of Gratiot since the early eighties

Yeah...and there wasn't really much demand for it in the early 80's either.

Subsidized novelty...

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3481
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Central Iron Foundry Company
What is known about the Central Iron Foundry Company? I haven't come up with much over the years.

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 300
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yeah...and there wasn't really much demand for it in the early 80's either.

B.S. The commuter train (Pontiac-Detroit) was depopularized by SEMTA's cutting service from 5 rush hour trains in 1980 to one (last train leaving the RenCen at around 4pm - as if anyone gets out of work that early). The frequency was a function of budget cuts, but the timing of that last train was deliberately designed to cut down ridership and justify shutting down the service. So I was told by a former SEMTA board member.

(Message edited by huggybear on July 24, 2007)

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 1177
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMO the dequindre cut isn't necessary for a commuter line anymore. you could have one, or several, commuter trains end at a hub like the new center station. from that hub, you could then expand our "mass transit" system, hopefully in light rail form. it would seem counter-intuitive to have heavy rail/commuter trains running down greenspace connecting eastern market and the river front.

however, i am all for one of the initial plans for the cut: half of it be a walking trail and the other dedicated to future light rail usage. that line could service and connect the DMC, the treasury building, future residential development east of the cut, the DEPSA school, eastern market, gratiot corridor, lafayette park, the riverfront, the state park, and terminate at the ren cen where people can pick up the people mover.

this is one of my favorite photos of that station:

ren cen station

sorry for the poor quality: i've never bought an original. metropolis magazine published their most influential photos of the past twenty years and this one made the cut. i scanned it from there. the commentary reads that this seems like a modern day "metropolis" (fritz lang's 1927 movie) where people are heading off to giant structures to work (much like an assembly line).

Dabirch

Post Number: 2358
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So -- you are saying that the train was not subsidized, that it ran full, that it was self-supporting, and then SEMTA decided to cut service so it could bleep ink on the bus system?

Maybe my memory and understanding of history is not all it should be, but I believe the trains were underutilized and a huge money loser prior to the cuts, and the cuts made it worse.

(Message edited by dabirch on July 24, 2007)

Rsa

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ps. the right of way is still there and plotted, just don't expect future developments to utilize it. if grand trunk has abandoned it, then whomever buys the adjacent lots will probably have that right of way added onto their parcel. but, for the time being, it's still a possibility.

keep in mind also that light rail could be brought onto the street, if need be (much like a trolley).

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9621
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what makes the trains any different from the roads that we subsidize all over the state in under populated or rural areas?

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 556
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No public transit system anywhere runs unsubsidized and few run full. No road runs at 100% of its capacity all the time either, and those are also subsidized except toll roads which Michigan doesn't have.

When traffic was reduced on 8 Mile Road when I-696 opened, did MDOT cut lanes from 8 Mile because demand was diminished? No; MDOT continues to maintain all of 8 Mile and all of I-696.

But when demand goes down on a transit line, the proper response is to cut service.

Again, we treat transit users as second-class citizens, and then marvel at the fact few choose to use our bare-bones transit systems.

Thank God Detroit gets it right unlike every other major Metro region.

Dabirch

Post Number: 2359
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I was talking about was demand.

I made a statement that their was not that much demand. And that was one of the reasons the train service is no longer.

I got a conspiracy theory response about a deliberate attempt on behalf of SEMTA to "depolularize" train commuting.

I will stick by my original statement -- ridership was not that great prior to the cuts.

The cuts quickened the demise or "depopularization"- but was not necessarily the root cause.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9623
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fair enough. I just think it is silly to talk about subsidies when SE Michigan subsidizes roads all over this state and so much else.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1817
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, great photo Rsa.

Danindc-- Removal of any rail line is very often a bad idea, but in this case Rsa & Ndavies are right IMO. There is a great need for good rail transit in and near downtown, but commuter rail along this out-of-the-way stretch is not the answer. Something much more accessible and visible such as light rail along Woodward is the way to go to foster any sort of transit-oriented development. And if there is a commuter rail hub somewhere it will probably end up in the New Center area.

Plus, the right of way will still be there so it wouldn't be a major effort to put rail back in sometime in the future.

Danindc

Post Number: 2902
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Danindc-- Removal of any rail line is very often a bad idea, but in this case Rsa & Ndavies are right IMO. There is a great need for good rail transit in and near downtown, but commuter rail along this out-of-the-way stretch is not the answer. Something much more accessible and visible such as light rail along Woodward is the way to go to foster any sort of transit-oriented development. And if there is a commuter rail hub somewhere it will probably end up in the New Center area.

There are two things I don't like about this statement:

1. A large amount of people work in the Ren Cen (and nearby). How is this "out of the way"? How does this compare to employment in New Center? And how is "visibility" relevant?

2. Where do you build a train station at New Center? Do you expect the existing Amshack to be able to handle a robust regional network?

Rsa

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

dan; i'm not sure if you're arguing specifically about doug's points, or propagating the idea of commuter rail down the cut in general.

if you're doing the latter, i urge you to think more about the big picture. neither the riverfront nor the dequindre cut lend themselves to heavy/commuter rail at all. both of these developments are propagating a more pedestrian type environment that commuter rail would contradict. light rail would fit in a lot better and easier.

shuttling people from the suburbs directly to the ren cen is also detrimental to a more pedestrian friendly atmosphere, as we've seen from the ren cen itself. this would also tend to enforce and further many people's negative impressions of the city (eg. "look at all the blight we have to be shuttled past", "detroit is so dangerous that you have to completely bypass the majority of it", etc.). let alone completely cutting off all of the places i mentioned in my post above. and not contributing to any type of economic (future or realized) development along that corridor.

also, that "amshack" in the new center is a lot better than no station at all on the riverfront. it would be a lot cheaper to build off existing lines and stations than to completely rebuild existing or new ones.

IMO the best way to approach mass transit for the city is to have commuter trains terminate at some of the neighborhoods on the fringe of downtown, then connect downtown with light rail. that way you can create "hubs" in the middle of the city. this way, you can expand the light rail to some of the neighborhoods closer to the borders. this way, people living in the city can use the commuter trains, instead of the primary goal being to shuttle people from the burbs into the city. real estate would be a lot cheaper in these areas (than downtown or the riverfront), people in neighborhoods could utilize the light rail to get anywhere in the city, and it could spur some economic development around the lines themselves (pedestrian traffic, homes in areas that formally required cars, etc.)

don't get me wrong-i don't foresee this happening in the next ten years, but i think it's a much better approach for the future of the city. and it can service both the citizens of the city as well as commuters that live outside of the city.

Ndavies

Post Number: 2705
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The RenCen commuter station is/was cut off from the majority of downtown by Jefferson and the Chrysler freeway. I doubt you'd find many people who didn't work at the RenCen using it. There are no real good ways in or out. This has been a complaint of the RenCen since the day it was built. Providing supporting local transit from there would greatly increase the congestion in a bad corner of downtown.

The RenCen is now the HQ for GM. I doubt many of those workers would be willing to give up their GM subsidized cars and parking to use the train. You end up servicing one building that wouldn't have much demand to begin with.

The other problem is this is one of the prime real estate locations in the city. A commuter rail station and the servicing tracks would be a terrible waste of prime near riverfront real estate.

Also you are looking at New Center from the wrong end. While the Amtrack shack certainly couldn't handle true commuter traffic, It's the rail capacity already there that makes new center the right place for a commuter train center. Much cheaper to build a larger station than build the rail infrastructure. There is a large amount of vacant land there that could be repurposed to transit.

It also makes more sense to put the commuter station in the center of your local service area rather than on the dead far end at the river.

(Message edited by ndavies on July 24, 2007)

Pete
Username: Pete

Post Number: 85
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

check out this old news clip:

"AMTRAK OKS MONEY FOR JOE LOUIS STATION
Clip of article published on 07/25/85, DETROIT FREE PRESS
Amtrak's board of directors Wednesday voted to contribute $900,000 to the construction of a $5.55 million train station at Joe Louis Arena to serve intercity and commuter passengers. But the station may not be built unless the Southeastern Michigan Transportation Authority, which would share the station, finds the money to operate a proposed commuter rail line between Detroit and Ann Arbor. Amtrak suspended Detroit- Ann Arbor commuter service last year."

it's interesting because during the last mayoral election, i asked mayor kilpatrick specifically about the proposed ann arbor-detroit line and a downtown station, and he told me that new track could be laid to a terminus at the joe louis arena parking garage (in addition to a stop at new center). if that were the case, there is really no need for the dequindre cut line, imo.