Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Council Woman meets with Krogers » Archive through July 24, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9612
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How can there not be big enough sites? This city is a collection of empty sites.

Deteamster
Username: Deteamster

Post Number: 27
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kroger is racist? Are you KIDDING me?
They're a corporation...it doesn't matter if you're black, white, Hispanic, Mormon, whatever, they will be happy to take your money.
However, they will not open a store in an area where more items are stolen than sold. Regardless of whether it is in Detroit, Chicago, Paris, Calcutta, or Mars.
I'm sick of her bitchiness. Looking forward to the next election.

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a TON of empty buildings, but not big enough for a plaza to support a Kroger, other storefronts, and the right size parking lot. It sounds strange, I know, but its true.

The only massive sites are like old factories, and I think then there are issues with contamination, etc.

Pjazz
Username: Pjazz

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Farmer Jack on Jefferson was said to be the biggest FJ in Michigan that space is still available. Also I feel one thing that happens when people open a store in the city is that the store is managed poorly it almost seems like they spend just enough to open it but won't invest in keeping it up as to attract paying customers.

On the other side we as Detroiters are too quick to travel out to the burbs when we see a lack of service or have to pay a little more in price. The only way they'll build in the city is when they realize we're not willing to spend our money out of the city.

We have a True Value hardware on the eastside. I go there every opportunity I get. Home depot is at eastland and some things I can only find at HD but I prefer to pay a little more to keep business in the city when I can.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1213
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm so annoyed at this woman. Why won't she put as much effort into educating residents about food co-ops, and alternatives to spending money at these big chains who obviously don't value the inner-city's business that much?

Jt1

Post Number: 9615
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

/quote{We have a True Value hardware on the eastside. I go there every opportunity I get. Home depot is at eastland and some things I can only find at HD but I prefer to pay a little more to keep business in the city when I can.}

Go for a little drive to the HD at 7 and Myers. See how the westide lives.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6259
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Janesback

Great post. A clean community means a clean corporate chain retail and more profits. Kroger will NEVER come back Detroit until they clean their act. It's in their rights to install their shop in whatever neighborhood they want. Sorry Monica Conyers! The issue of Kroger is that they do not want to build a supermarket in a black ghetto where brothers killing brothers. They want to put their building a place where brothers don't kill brothers. Conyers can lobby, but Kroger will always refuse.

NOW WHO WANTS TO GO KROGERING IN THE SUBURBS?

Rockcity2windycity
Username: Rockcity2windycity

Post Number: 159
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People of middle eastern descent own plenty of stores in Detroit. Liquor, dollar and grocery stores. Kroger should talk to those store owners if they wanna learn how to operate in the city. Alota people may not like the way they do business but whatever they're doing its effective.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was driving through Detroit the other day with a friend's mother, who works at a Canton Kroger (and, oddly, is a realtor who was actually showing me some houses), and asked her if she knew why none of the new Kroger stores opening up were in Detroit. She said Kroger has tried before but so much theft occured before the stores even got to open that they gave up on opening here, at least for now. Does anyone know, particularly Kroger employees, if there is any truth to that claim or was that bullshit?

Were there any Kroger stores in the area that were slated to open but never actually did, due to theft problems?

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1668
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit not likely to get Kroger back

"Even promises of tax incentives and threats of a congressional inquiry may not be enough to lure Cincinnati-based Kroger back to the city it left just less than three years ago, analysts said Monday."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070724/B IZ/707240339&imw=Y

Threats of a congressional inquiry? Oh brother.

You know, if these are the kind of people you're going to elect to represent your interests, then you deserve to have every grocery store close up shop and leave town.

Unbelievable.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 200
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember seeing shoplifters having the nerve (no shame at all) to loudly confront a clerk at our neighborhood variety store on Fenkell when I was a kid. It ended up with a broken bottle going into the clerk's face. Eventually the place was robbed blind, the owners sold out, bullet-proof glass went up, the fountain and all merchandise except for chips, beer, lottery & smokes left. A community gets the merchants that it deserves, and too much of Detroit has acted out for too long for anyone but the heavily armed to do business. Drive out Fenkell and see for yourself.

Themax
Username: Themax

Post Number: 805
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One thing about the Chaldean-owned stores is that most if not all are pretty small. One party store I went into on Puritan had a lot of security in the doors and at the cash register. It looked like they could control the number of people entering and leaving.
Recent news stories about black communties' unwillingnes to work with police may not have encouraged Kroger. Aren't there any independent grocers in Detroit other than the Chaldean ones? I thought Rev. Adams was trying to set up some black enterprises at one time.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1981
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

She said Kroger has tried before but so much theft occured before the stores even got to open that they gave up on opening here, at least for now.

Partial True, there was only one store. 7 Mile and Gratiot, brand new, all city employees. Between having the x-mas decoration stolen the AC unit was also stolen during installation.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1671
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the problems now is going to be that these criminal fucks who caused these grocery stores close down like the ones in Craig's story won't disappear with the closing of these stores...

If there's nowhere to buy groceries in their own neighborhoods they're going to be coming out to the suburbs now and will probably pull the same type of shit, and the end result will be the heart of suburbia expanding even further to the north and west...

Jt1

Post Number: 9620
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^You can take the boy out of Livonia but you can't take the Livonia out of the boy. :-)

Christos
Username: Christos

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is how bad of a store the Kroger was on 7 mi and Gratiot- usually when Kroger opens a new store they wait at least 5 years before they make a decision on whether or not they want to stay, but in Detroit they left after THREE. What makes things worse is that they had an extra incentive to stay there at least 5 years because they built the store!

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1349
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I applaud Council woman Conyers efforts. Krogers should be forced in great detail to disclose why they won't open a store with in the city. They can go ahead with the "profit" card all they want to. But any inquiry would surely uncover several other stores in remote sprawl burbs that are way less profitable then thier Detroit location was.

(Message edited by cambrian on July 24, 2007)

Thejesus

Post Number: 1672
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt:

If you have another theory as to where these people will shop now that they've successfully managed closed down all their local grocery stores and whether or not it will result in more or less sprawl, please feel free to share with the rest of us.

Jt1

Post Number: 9622
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your ex-neighbors have already stated that "these people" shop in their neighborhood and that is a problem.

Like I said "you can take......." Seems to me that you go along with the party line that all is wonderful as long as the criminal element is a Detroit problem but whoa is the suburbs if they actually leave the city borders.

For someone who criticizes Detroiters for not stepping up to combat this criminal element you seem pretty worried that their suburban counterparts are unwilling or incapable of doing so if heaven forbid it isn't contained by imaginary borders.

Your true colors shine through again.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 273
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Conyers can stomp and shout and knock herself out but it won't persuade any companies to put a store where they won't make money.
The Great Society days are over. It now Self Reliant days that are here.
I don't see her opening a store. Surely, she and her old man could afford one if they wanted to put their money where their mouths are.
They'd rather have someone else take the risk.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1673
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“Your ex-neighbors have already stated that "these people" shop in their neighborhood and that is a problem. “

Yes, a few of them did. But our elected officials (elected to represent the interests of the majority) told them to go fuck themselves and leave if they don’t like it and went ahead and built the Wonderland Village anyway. Funny how you always chose to forget that fact.

“Like I said "you can take......." Seems to me that you go along with the party line that all is wonderful as long as the criminal element is a Detroit problem but whoa is the suburbs if they actually leave the city borders. “

I disagree with your “all is well” comment but the history of this region tells us how suburbanites will react when trouble makers begin shopping in their neighborhoods after the stores in their own neighborhoods close up shop, and you’re a fool if you chose to ignore it. I don't want to see any more sprawl but am afraid that this might continue to fuel that momentum.

“For someone who criticizes Detroiters for not stepping up to combat this criminal element you seem pretty worried that their suburban counterparts are unwilling or incapable of doing so if heaven forbid it isn't contained by imaginary borders. “

I criticize Detroiters for not directing their anger where it belongs. My local grocery stores are doing just fine while yours are all gone and yet I'M the one pissed at the criminals who caused yours to close down...meanwhile you and the others who are directly affected by this continue to mindlessly direct your anger about everything and anything at the suburbs rather than the ones among you who caused your grocers to leave. Whatever Jt. Have fun on your weekly 20 mile round-trip to the ‘burbs to do your shopping, and don’t forget to roll down your window at the stoplights to yell at the local residents about how it’s their fault that you have to make the trip.

“Your true colors shine through again.”

Are you calling me “the racist” again with that statement? I really think if you do that a few hundred more times it might yield you a positive result just yet. Keep up the good work.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1674
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Conyers can stomp and shout and knock herself out but it won't persuade any companies to put a store where they won't make money."

Especially when she threatens them with congressional investigations. If that's the kind of clown Detroiters want representing their interests, then they deserve to have all their grocers leave. You're not going to encourage businesses to come to your city by threatening them if they don't.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1350
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"If that's the kind of clown Detroiters want representing their interests, then they deserve to have all their grocers leave"

Yes Detroiters would be much better served by a passive council person who asks no questions of racists companies.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 339
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote: "But any inquiry would surely uncover several other stores in remote sprawl burbs that are way less profitable then thier Detroit location was."

"Surely?" So you have direct knowledge that contradicts the longstanding assertions of retailers in the city - namely that it's very expensive to do business here?

Please, since you are sure - do share.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1351
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All you need to do is view population densities of some areas like Lake Orion compared to Detroit. Not that hard really. You can't argue that since people in Lake Orion make more, they spend more for higher priced groceries at that location. The prices are fixed.

Thejesus

Post Number: 1676
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Again with the idea of the racist company...

"Well, we sure would make a nice profit by locating a store in that community, but we refuse to take the money of those damn minorities."

I guess you think every national chain that has stores in Canton and Troy but not in Detroit is racist, yes?

Cambrian

Post Number: 1352
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me and the City Council. Stupid US!

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 340
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The difference is in Lake Orion you don't have a vast, impoverished population with greater-than-average reported levels of shoplifting, nor the need for extraordinary security. The fact that retailers make more money with a smaller population out in the suburbs than in dense areas of Detroit should give you an idea of how bad the problem is.

Rather than speculate, go to a neighborhood grocery store of any size and ask them how bad it is. Go work at one for a week and see first hand.

Retailers will sell to anyone who will make them money, regardless of color. And retailers will close stores that lose money to shoplifting or excessive security requirements, regardless of color.

(Message edited by hockey_player on July 24, 2007)

Cambrian

Post Number: 1353
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hockey_player

Some local suburban papers report shop lifting activity. Mine does and it is a weekly occurence at K-marts, Meijers, and Best Buy. Yet they don't close down.

Jt1

Post Number: 9624
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

“Your ex-neighbors have already stated that "these people" shop in their neighborhood and that is a problem. “

Yes, a few of them did. But our elected officials (elected to represent the interests of the majority) told them to go fuck themselves and leave if they don’t like it and went ahead and built the Wonderland Village anyway. Funny how you always chose to forget that fact.

I respect the leaders for that but it doesn't change the mindset of the entire popualtion.

quote:

“Like I said "you can take......." Seems to me that you go along with the party line that all is wonderful as long as the criminal element is a Detroit problem but whoa is the suburbs if they actually leave the city borders. “

I disagree with your “all is well” comment but the history of this region tells us how suburbanites will react when trouble makers begin shopping in their neighborhoods after the stores in their own neighborhoods close up shop, and you’re a fool if you chose to ignore it. I don't want to see any more sprawl but am afraid that this might continue to fuel that momentum.

But you choose to ignore the issues of inequality in the region and would rather pass blame on 'these people' coming into your neighborhood as oppossed to working towards achieving any level of opportunity for those less fortunate. Your die hard support of withdrawing from SMART shows how much you are willing to help change. It is easy to blame. It is hard to work to improve an area through opportunity.

quote:

“For someone who criticizes Detroiters for not stepping up to combat this criminal element you seem pretty worried that their suburban counterparts are unwilling or incapable of doing so if heaven forbid it isn't contained by imaginary borders. “

I criticize Detroiters for not directing their anger where it belongs. My local grocery stores are doing just fine while yours are all gone and yet I'M the one pissed at the criminals who caused yours to close down...meanwhile you and the others who are directly affected by this continue to mindlessly direct your anger about everything and anything at the suburbs rather than the ones among you who caused your grocers to leave. Whatever Jt. Have fun on your weekly 20 mile round-trip to the ‘burbs to do your shopping, and don’t forget to roll down your window at the stoplights to yell at the local residents about how it’s their fault that you have to make the trip.

You make a lot of assumptions. My anger lies with those breaking the laws and I help patrol my neighborhood and do what I can. My local grocery stores are also here but not chains (something so many like to ignore). I shop at Harbortown, Honey Bee, Eastern Market, etc. Not a single penny of my grocery dollars leave the city. Of course you just throw out assumptions at will and make light of the issues in Detroit while blaming Detroiters for having to deal with these issues and. gasp, coming into your neighborhood.

quote:

“Your true colors shine through again.”

Are you calling me “the racist” again with that statement? I really think if you do that a few hundred more times it might yield you a positive result just yet. Keep up the good work.

I'm not calling you racist. I am pointing out the many glaring prejudices that you have built into your head. There is a difference. The problem is that you seem to see no prejudice in your comments.

Respond with all of the assumptions you want. I ask that you re-read your posts and really think about how clear your prejudice is. It is learned over years in most of us. The issue is that so many people like you chose to ignore the prejudice that you have.

Any more asusmptions on your part?

(Message edited by jt1 on July 24, 2007)