Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Council Woman meets with Krogers » Archive through July 25, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 341
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cambrian, it is a matter of degree. I know store owners in the city; I've seen the data. It is insane the amount of shoplifting that goes on. After a while it is simply not worth engaging in a constant battle with your customers.

The city of Detroit doesn't have a single national chain grocery store in its city limits. I don't think it's because they've decided they simply don't like black people.

Like any business, they are there to make money. When they don't, or when they lose money, they go where they can. It's that simple.

Cambrian
Username: Cambrian

Post Number: 1354
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Deesn't the Super K at 8 and Telegraph still sell groceries?

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 342
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps they do. I live in Woodbridge and don't get that far out to shop.

If so, then that neighborhood must have lower incidents of shoplifting and greater profits, and Kmart chooses to keep it open.

Unless they're simply the only non-racist store around. Somehow I bet it's the former.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know what's the most faulty part of this shoplifting argument? The people who do all of this so-called shoplifting in Detroit still go to these suburban stores and do the same thing. They have to just by virtue of having to eat! So are the stores at 9 and 10 Mile next on the chopping block? Or Middlebelt and Merriman? The argument really doesn't hold water, IMO.

Then throw in the demographics comparisons that I did before (Royal Oak vs. Rosedale Park) and it just plain out starts to not make sense. They are content with burdening their inner-city residents to drive out of their community so long as these customers stay willing to do so.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 386
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They can go ahead with the "profit" card all they want to.
-----------------------

Whoa, some one needs to take a marketing course 101 in this forum

"The main purpose of a corporation is to ENHANCE PROFIT TO THE SHAREHOLDERS'

The main purpose of a corporation is to ENHANCE PROFIT TO THE SHAREHOLDERS'

I cant emphasize this more than now. If you're gonna rip off people, steal, pilfer, shoplift and destroy a corporations assets, THEY AINT GONNA COME.........

The excuses in here are ridiculous. Clean up your act and then they will come back, trust me.....That includes you too Stylin

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9628
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Clean up your act and then they will come back, trust me.....That includes you too Stylin

Coming on here and lecturing so many that are trying to clean up this city is absolute garbage. Do you realize how annoying your condescending bullshit is? I will continue to try to improve my neighborhood and my city and you can continue to shove those comments up your ass.

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2501
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is such a simple matter that all this crap about racism and prejudice means absolutely nothing.

The issue is crime and how it affect retail in Detroit. Retailers, Kroger in this instance simply will not locate in a city with the crime problem detroit has.

Sure there is shoplifting in suburban exurban locations_ often it is done by those coming from the detroit area.

Another factor is crime i.e shoplifting is likely prosecuted and treated more seriously in the burbs.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 6268
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering why Krogers put a supermarket on Royal Oak Township on 8 Mile and Wyoming Rd. in at some black ghetto instead a Detroit black ghetto? Maybe because Kroger is trying not to be racist after all.

(Message edited by danny on July 24, 2007)

Danny

Post Number: 6269
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think's its time for Michael Moore to make another movie about Kroger, Farmer Jack and other competitive supermarket chain and how they screw Detroit. He'll called it "PAPER OR PLASTIC."

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1677
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Danny, I swear, every post of yours is a masterpiece.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4444
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow a personal call out from someone that knows nothing about what I do nor who I am...

Wow thanx Jane...

And I was actually beginning to give your dumb azz credit too...

Jt1

Post Number: 9635
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See Stylin' you have to understand that to some people (most of those that live out of State) all Detroiters are the same. Regardless what you do the state of the city is your fault and my fault. All of those that fled did nothing to cause any issues and we are the ones that allow and even want Detroit to be in its current state.

You and I are the ones out there murdering, stealing, raping, bringing down suburban property values, chasing business away from the State. It is all us.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4445
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know right Jt...

Funny and the organization that I became a part of after all does not seek to improve the lives of the residents of the city. Instead we perpetuate it and find wayz to make it worse...

In the Bizzaro worlds according to Jane and Karl...

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2363
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Whoa, some one needs to take a marketing course 101 in this forum

"The main purpose of a corporation is to ENHANCE PROFIT TO THE SHAREHOLDERS'

They teach fiduciary responsibility in marketing classes now? Wow how B-school has changed.

And, even if they did, they would not teach it like that.

The main purpose of a corporation is to maximize shareholder value. Depending on the type of corporation, profit may or may not have anything to do with it.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 5475
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Sure there is shoplifting in suburban exurban locations_ often it is done by those coming from the detroit area.

And often it is done by bored local kids who need a thrill.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1223
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^A corporation is also not necessarily a for-profit organization. Nor do all corporations have shareholders... Matter of fact, where the hell did that quote come from?

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 2365
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let me rephrase -- the main purpose of a corporation is to maximize stakeholder value.

The main purpose of a public corporation is to maximize shareholder profit.

Which is the distinction I was trying to make above.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 1224
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Which is the distinction I was trying to make above."

My comment was more directed towards Jane, but thanks for clarifying.

Jt1

Post Number: 9637
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anything to back that up? And do you mean Detroit area or Detroit proper.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1355
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Key word Retail fraud:

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-sear ch/we/Archives?p_multi=AVTB|MBBB|FTCB|GSTB|MCBB|MNPB|MCJB |RPTB|REEB|RORB|SBUB|SSMB|CSSB |%20SHSB|TTSB|WWKB|WBBB|WWTB|& p_product=CGNP&p_theme=cgnp&p_ action=search&p_maxdocs=200&s_ dispstring=retail%20fraud&p_fi eld_advanced-0=&p_text_advance d-0=(retail%20fraud)&xcal_numd ocs=20&p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD _date:D&xcal_useweights=no

Key word: shoplifting

http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-sear ch/we/Archives?p_multi=AVTB|MBBB|FTCB|GSTB|MCBB|MNPB|MCJB |RPTB|REEB|RORB|SBUB|SSMB|CSSB |%20SHSB|TTSB|WWKB|WBBB|WWTB|& p_product=CGNP&p_theme=cgnp&p_ action=search&p_maxdocs=200&s_ dispstring=shoplifting&p_field _advanced-0=&p_text_advanced-0 =(shoplifting)&xcal_numdocs=20 &p_perpage=10&p_sort=YMD_date: D&xcal_useweights=no

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 2502
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I said area jt1. Nothing but anecdotal stuff. Friends that work in retail in Ann Arbor often have people from the detroit area come to their stores to "return" items for refunds or to cash checks. The logical question of course being ..why the hell would anyone drive eight stores past the store they allegedly bought the item at to come to a store in Ann Arbor?

The issue I believe regarding grocery stores in Detroit is, employee theft and general population theft and indifference for the most part from the city including the dpd.This makes for what detroit has now; little retail.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4448
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME
CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME

I figure using CL's logic that if it is said enought times, then that has got to be the answer for all things Detroit related...

(Message edited by Detroit_stylin on July 24, 2007)

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 276
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ask people on here why they left Detroit.
I believe the Number One reason will be crime.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4449
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree Paul...becuase they dont want to say that the crime is really their way of saying that it got too 'dark' for their comfort...

(Message edited by Detroit_stylin on July 24, 2007)

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 277
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you got robbed by someone with a gun, I don't think it would matter if it was a white or black person who did it.
Same goes for if your house is broken into. When all your former neighbors leave before you, it is a sign that things are not going well in the 'hood.
We stayed for 12 years after the riot. I was not going to raise a family in that environment.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 55
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, Cambrian, in response to a very early post...
When I moved to Hazel Park in '02 the Farmer Jack there DID have security at the enterance, but around '03 or '04 they stopped using them.

Cambrian

Post Number: 1357
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you own a Gremlin? Did you used to work in the pizza place around the corner from FJ?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3496
Posted on Tuesday, July 24, 2007 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The WJR news this evening about Kroger seemed to imply that Kroger would not be phased by any potential lawsuit about their fleeing Detroit.

Danny

Post Number: 6272
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep!

.......CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME...............
.......CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME...............
..................CRIME CRIME CRIME...............
..................CRIME CRIME CRIME................
..........CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME CRIME...........

CRIME is the number one problem that kept Kroger out of Detroit.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 4:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im in the process of slowly restoring a Gremlin. Ive seen the one near FJ but its not mine. I used to see that one a lot. I wonder what happenned to it.