Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » Detnews: Det close to snagging Quicken » Quicken Consolidated Archive » Archive through July 25, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4928
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes Thejesus, can't argue with you there! The Whitney has frontage on Woodward, Washington Blvd. and GCP, while the UA has frontage only on Bagley and Clifford.

And that 4 story opulent lobby to the Whitney would be great for retail.

Motorcitydave
Username: Motorcitydave

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been saying Whitney for a while now, just because of the location, you can see it on TV during every tiger game, see going up and down Woodward, and also because of the 4 story atrium for retail... which I think shopping would be a plus to help 'sell' the employees on coming downtown to work... (ala Compuware)

...but I like what El_jimbo mentioned remembering... lofts and retail in the Whitney, and a new office tower on Statler...

(Message edited by motorcitydave on July 25, 2007)

Gistok

Post Number: 4930
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... and more lofts and entertainment (theatre & restaurants) in the U/A, and parking on the Tuller site.

The Whitney's commercial space is on the small side for full service restaurants and other entertainments. All the usable space overlooking the 4 story lobby is rather shallow, floor space wise, but still useful for retail.

The buildings could be connected to each other via skywalks, as well as to the People Mover Station in the Whitney.

(Message edited by Gistok on July 25, 2007)

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 310
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it would be nice if they had carriage rides pulled by teams of unicorns, and they could take people to the ballgame,shopping districts, greektown. That would be cool too. They could be staged out of Grand Circus Park. One route would follow the old trolley route down to Cobo and the river. Another could head east to Comerica park and then down to Greektown. If there's traffic (like around game time and during fireworks etc.) they could sprinkle pixie dust on the unicorns and they would fly above the traffic congestion. This would be a big draw for Quicken employees who don't have a lot of time to spend sitting in traffic.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 1315
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was awesome.

Gistok

Post Number: 4931
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's back... just don't feed the troll...

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1688
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I loled

Scs100
Username: Scs100

Post Number: 1261
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You gotta admit, it was kind of funny.

Gistok

Post Number: 4932
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess you have to be a teenager to appreciate it... :-)

Scs100

Post Number: 1262
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9653
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quicken just signed a lease extension on their Livonia offices.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 325
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO WAY.....

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3502
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But even teenagers usually outgrow their Legos.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 326
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For how long? If its only until say 2009, that probably means they will still build the headquaters. They do need time to build.....

Gistok

Post Number: 4933
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scs100, you know I'm only poking fun at you youngin's. Are you back from Seoul?

You have to admit, that anyone with half a brain would be wondering why 2 buildings 1 block apart start doing scaffolding work at the same time (after decades of neglect for each) that something just might be happening here...

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 903
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

People are acting like an official date for an announcement has been set while Gilbert merely told a reporter that they'd have something more to discuss the end of the month...that could mean a lot of things...

I agree, while the signs generally point to a downtown move, nothing is so firm that people should be expecting an announcement this week. How times have we heard a decision is coming in X days? I just hope you all don't have the nerve to complain about being "lead on" if doesn't happen this week

Scs100

Post Number: 1263
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know. Hence the smiley face. Yes, I'm back, been back for about a week now. I've been thinking along the same lines you have since work started at the UA. It makes sense if you put enough thought into it (and it doesn't require much either).

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9654
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RB - I was kidding. I figured more people would bite.

Gistok

Post Number: 4934
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for your usual condescending snarky remark LY... most also outgrow their trains as well I suppose?

Try telling that to the 10's of thousands of folks who will be at the North American Model Railroad (NMRA) Show at Cobo this August.

There you will find model railroaders, as well as some of the most spectacular models of Detroit landmarks (yes in LEGO) displayed for public to marvel at. This will include 7-10 foot models of the Penobscot, Stott and Fisher Buildings by fellow forumer Jim Garrett (that have been found in other threads on this forum).

And yes LY if you were still LIVING in the Detroit area, we would probably see you there...

Sorry to threadjack, but that's already happened with the trolls on the forum.

Scs100

Post Number: 1264
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem. Saves me from typing anything else.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 401
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second what Gistok said 100%.

Gistok

Post Number: 4935
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually I'm not expecting any announcement in the next week... but I do expect that further "unannounced" work will continue on the David Whitney and United Artists buildings...

It could still be a suburban site. But if it were a suburban or a riverfront or a Hudson site, there's no "land buying negotiations" that would need to be involved to slow down an announcement. Some things do take time, and that's why I'm still betting on GCP.

What really has my interest peaked in this situation is the fact that the usual way downtown buildings are redeveloped is in this way:

1) an announcement is made in the media.
2) months and months of architecural work.
3) months and months of financing work.
4) months (and sometimes years) elapse before any visible work starts.

Well this is not the modus operandi in the case of these 2 buildings. The U/A may need to be checked for structural/restoration integrity, but the Whitney as we all know IS in quite good condition.

So why the secrecy?? One guess...

(Message edited by Gistok on July 25, 2007)

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1824
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I think it would be nice if they had carriage rides pulled by teams of unicorns, and they could take people to the ballgame,shopping districts, greektown. That would be cool too. They could be staged out of Grand Circus Park. One route would follow the old trolley route down to Cobo and the river. Another could head east to Comerica park and then down to Greektown. If there's traffic (like around game time and during fireworks etc.) they could sprinkle pixie dust on the unicorns and they would fly above the traffic congestion. This would be a big draw for Quicken employees who don't have a lot of time to spend sitting in traffic."

lol. This is Detroit, not NeverNever Land.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 262
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^^Fine with me. It keeps Michael Jackson away from our kids.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3503
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WJR had a Lego guy on today talking about his $10,000+ Lego collection wrt model trains and such. Even Cosgrove had a few seconds.

Dds
Username: Dds

Post Number: 288
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a friend flying in from Austin for the show at Cobo this weekend. He seems to reside in "NeverNever Land" too.

Gistok

Post Number: 4937
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LY that was probably the Jim Garrett fellow I was mentioning.

Check out his buildings of Detroit!

His LEGO Capitol Park Griswold Building is awesome...

As are the rest of his buildings:

http://www.mocpages.com/folder.php/8777

Although his DIA building is sort of "abbreviated", his Stott and Fisher Buildings are great. His Griswold Building and Albert Kahn factory are also nice. And check out that Brush Park Victorian!

His latest creation, the Penobscot Building is 95% complete, and not yet shown.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 3504
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, it was THEE Jim Garrett fellow...

Detroitrulez
Username: Detroitrulez

Post Number: 311
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this part of the big "3 Days in the D" promotion we're hearing so much about?

I like how this thread blithely derailed into a Lego NeverNever Land [sic] after someone mentioned that Quicken extended their Livonia lease. One would think that someone might try to get to the bottom of that...

Urbanize
Username: Urbanize

Post Number: 1826
Posted on Wednesday, July 25, 2007 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about he just do the whole city as one whole Model?