Discuss Detroit » Hall of Fame Threads » River Walk Opens » Archive through June 24, 2007 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Homer
Username: Homer

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

River Walk opened today. Been there? Your impressions?

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20070606/FEATURE S01/70606025

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm cutting out of work early to check this out.

Tetsua

Post Number: 1202
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully I'll have plenty of pictures to show later.

Dexterpointing
Username: Dexterpointing

Post Number: 113
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 1:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any pics

Docmo
Username: Docmo

Post Number: 267
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm taking my girlfriend on a round trip walk from Tricentennial up to the Rattlesnake for drinks/appetizers tomorrow afternoon. I may post some photos.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 9347
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you sure that it goes that far yet?

If you're out there you might as well stop at Karras Bros, They Say, Stoney Creek and Andrews and just make a full night of it. :-)

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 989
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

at rivard plaza you have to jump back onto atwater the rest of the way to the rattlesnake. you'll pass tricentenial, st. aubin, and chene park. keep an eye out for the fox!

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 1531
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And bum poo

Spidergirl
Username: Spidergirl

Post Number: 277
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY!!!! This is part of my after-work de-stress walk! I'm so excited to hit it up tonight!

Charlottepaul
Username: Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone catch the misspelling in the article as usual?

Gotdetroit
Username: Gotdetroit

Post Number: 67
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walked thru on Saturday (there was a hole in the fence). It looked great. I'll be there tonight. Look for me. Buy me a beer.

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1091
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nothing like a good announcement being ruined by the author of the article: "'I heard downtown Detroit is dangerous, but I feel really safe,' says Theresa Gasper while sitting neawr a new glass map of the St. Lawrence Seaway and who was visiting from Canton Ohio with her two sons, Michael and Evan. 'You’re water is so clear. It reminds me of the Caribbean. It really looks beautiful.'"

Docmo

Post Number: 268
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Per the Freep article on the 6/4, the section from Tricentennial up to Harbortown also is opening today. I'm sure we'll also drive on down to Rivard plaza and check that out.

Does anyone know if any of the Conservancy's Buy a Bricks at Rivard have been installed yet?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 2289
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when's the gap between the sections going to be finished?

Jt1

Post Number: 9349
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Nothing like a good announcement being ruined by the author of the article: "'I heard downtown Detroit is dangerous, but I feel really safe,' says Theresa Gasper while sitting neawr a new glass map of the St. Lawrence Seaway and who was visiting from Canton Ohio with her two sons

Seems pretty positive to me. Her preconceived perceptions changed at the site of it. What more can a city with such a bad image ask for. Changing bad impressions to good is extremely positive.

Vetalalumni
Username: Vetalalumni

Post Number: 304
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As an ex-Detroiter, my Detroit spirit lives on vicariously through you locals - especially your photographs and thoughtful dialog. Though I'm far away, I can feel the excitement you must feel.

Please take and share photographs of the new River Walk and thanks in advance. The average person's photographs are appreciated in contrast to the staged and "smoozed over" ones that often come from the marketing types. At the least, the average person's photographs give an every-day-person's perspective, flaws and all.

There is a closely related current thread titled "Rivard Plaza".

(Message edited by vetalalumni on June 06, 2007)

Gsgeorge
Username: Gsgeorge

Post Number: 145
Posted on Wednesday, June 06, 2007 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlotte, there's no denying that Detroit is a dangerous city. But the point is the article is dispelling the notion that ALL of Detroit is dangerous.

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 309
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The closely related thread titled "Rivard Plaza" has photographs.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/103599.html?1181181701

Charlottepaul

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry I was solely critiquing the spelling of the word "neawr" in the article. It was great news otherwise.

Tetsua

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://s111.photobucket.com/al bums/n137/tetsua/

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 920
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The D really knows how to clean herself up...

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1362
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's impressive...gonna be at the ren cen next friday and I can't wait to check it out in person

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 862
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coverage of the RiverWalk from this side of the border:

http://www.canada.com/windsors tar/news/story.html?id=079f04d e-9d3b-48cd-b75d-3e686cf8758e& k=49882

Jt1

Post Number: 9355
Posted on Thursday, June 07, 2007 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

that's impressive...gonna be at the ren cen next friday and I can't wait to check it out in person

You may want to stop in to Seldom blues and have a drink on the patio overlooking the water. Even though it is only on the second level it may give a nice view to take in all the progress.

Of course a spot on the very small patio on a Friday at Seldom Blues may be a hard get.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 2655
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The improvements to Gabriel Richard park are very Beautiful.

GRP1

GRP2

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 854
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The conservancy did a wonderful job, definitely something Detroit can be proud of. I was so impressed with what I saw, when I got home I made a donation. If you can I hope you will do the same to thank the DRC for the great job they've done.

Quozl
Username: Quozl

Post Number: 724
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot wait to go down there and see all the bricks Andy and Crew at Hot Fudge bought!

Ramcharger
Username: Ramcharger

Post Number: 304
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a beautiful view of the MacArthur Bridge. I suspect that thousands of wedding photos will be taken from that very spot.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4217
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MAN that place is nice. I just took a walk from Cobo all the way to Rivard Plaza. It was literally hundreds of people the whole length of the way either sitting down along the way or walking the path. All three plazas were full of people (Hart, Ren Cen, Rivard), and it was nice to see people really enjoying themselves. A big plus was that there were a few hundred people here from around the world at the ACN convention in Cobo and as I was walking out towards Rivard I heard an out of towner mention out loud to his wife what a great city this is...

I guess my question is why did we have to wait so long to figure out that we can actually enjoy our riverfront as opposed to working on it?

Lilpup

Post Number: 2297
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the settlement was founded for trade and profit - a working riverfront is what built the city (built all older cities)

to some degree one might equate economic decline with the blossoming of riverfront parks and harbor remakes in many cities

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4218
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Makes sense to me...So is that possible that that is what happened in Chi town around Lake Michigan? I know Cleveland is doing a similar thing there.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 855
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chicago's always had a great lakefront. It's industry was along the ship canal so they could their use their lakefront for parks instead. Detroit didn't have that option

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4219
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok now that makes sense...

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 243
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 10:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Stylin- I was also enjoying a walk along the water this evening...came up rivard from lafayette park and I walked along to the front of the ren cen ...I was amazed at the amount of people ! My dog got lots of attention so he was in heaven !!!

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4221
Posted on Saturday, June 09, 2007 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait what kind of dog did you have? I saw maybe two people with dogs and what color was it? Imay have seen you...

Docmo

Post Number: 269
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The walk from Tricentennial to Stroh RiverPlace is disappointing. You have to walk along an unimproved Atwater for this section. The RiverWalk is open from Stroh RiverPlace to Harbortown/Mt. Elliott park. I plan on doing the five mile run from Hart Plaza to Mount Elliot and back tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing the new section from Stroh to Mt. Elliott.

http://www.detroitriverfront.o rg/img_content/DRC/YAH_Map_rev _3_large.jpg

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 603
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Charlottepaul, Scholastica, or frongs ? I copied and pasted the article in WORD, and they were the only things to stand out, aside from neawr and pronouns.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 310
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have now walked and roller bladed, the whole thing besides Gabriel Richard. The section between Atwater and Mount Elliot is so much nicer in terms of being to exercise in the middle of the day because so much less foot traffic. I love the whole thing though! That section is also very well patrolled I saw at least 7 security officers while I was there today.

I also want to say that I went to the ren cen tonight and it was packed. I haven't gone to a movie in the ren cen in about 10 years and it was a great experience. A walk along the river walk afterwards with about 60 people still down there at midnight. the riverwalk is already payin dividends!

Peter
Username: Peter

Post Number: 96
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see what all of this looks like in 20 years...

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 901
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's see what all of this looks like in 20 years...

Nice attitude, dude. Let's see what YOU look like in 20 years!
While your pessimism is not unfounded in a historical sense, there's no need to be so cynical about such a great project right out of the starting gate (& I'm one of the most cynical people you'll ever meet).

D-town finally has a great promenade for jogging, biking, chiIlin' -- any plans in the works for Riverwalk festivals?
Love the pics, and will definitely make a point of checking out the Riverwalk when I'm back in town later this summer.

Romanized
Username: Romanized

Post Number: 231
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 4:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't wait to take the girlfriend and see what its like. Detroit for lovers?? No, couldn't be.

Docmo

Post Number: 270
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 5:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitriverdays.co m/

http://www.gmrencen.com/Happen ing/SpecialEvents/tabid/85/Def ault.aspx

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 312
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 10:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when will they announce the line ups? I wanna see if its gonna have any good tunes!

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 237
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live near Gabriel Richard Park and it doesn't seem very accessible. Is there a designated place to park? I saw some people park in the old Marine place parking lot but is that what the Conservancy wants? Being tucked under the Belle Isle bridge and it's exits onto Jefferson, you really can't park along the streets. The park is along my running route so I can get to it just fine but I wonder if Gabriel Richard Park will be a destination spot....

But, all that being said, it looks fantastic!!

Imperfectly

Post Number: 245
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Stylin- I have a pomeranian hes brown and black and cute.
Some random girl wanted to take a picture with him !

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4227
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I think I bypassed you at least twice. See if you can remember a black dude walking by who was wearing black jeans and a Pistons road red jersey. I think I can recall seeing you at the Rivard plaza..

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 315
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 1:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am wondering are dogs welcomed on the section between atwater and Mt elliot?

Imperfectly

Post Number: 247
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DS-Can't say I remember but hello anyways !!!

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 500
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is beautiful I took about 50 pictures on Friday of the new riverwalk and everyone enjoying it. What a great asset. I heard a group of out of town New Yorkers in for the Mets/Tigers series talking about this being their first visit to Detroit, and how convenient the People Mover has been - connecting them right to their "very nice" hotel. The took the tour of the RenCen and loved it, and said the riverfront was gorgeous.... Made me proud :-)

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 345
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds great!

As a native Detroiter, it pleases me to hear of the Riverwalk development. The area between Belle Isle and downtown is long overdue for this.

On every vacation or trip back to the Motor, I always visit certain places for which I have fond memories (i.e. Belle Isle, downtown, Rosedale Park). I'll be sure to add the Riverwalk on my next visit.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 555
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats guys. I did not know those extensions were opening already.

I tell you, can you send that conservancy group up to Toronto to finnish up our waterfront. You guys have gotten more done then we have in the past couple years.

Anyway enjoy it. Riverwalks are amazing. This is going to be a great destination to come downtown for, and should become a regional attraction.

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 556
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats guys. I did not know those extensions were opening already.

I tell you, can you send that conservancy group up to Toronto to finnish up our waterfront. You guys have gotten more done then we have in the past couple years.

Anyway enjoy it. Riverwalks are amazing. This is going to be a great destination to come downtown for, and should become a regional attraction.

Tetsua

Post Number: 1208
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://s111.photobucket.com/al bums/n137/tetsua/

I just added pictures of the river walk east of Rivard plaza. The more I see of this project, the more I love it.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4510
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohudson, you and I were both thinking the same thing about Gabriel Richard Park. No public parking access. The parking lot of the closed Broadhead Naval Armory seems the only local parking.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 280
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I am in a dilema, my parents wont let me and my buddy go for a run on the riverfront because they think it is still too dangerous on the riverfront. What should I do?

Ohudson

Post Number: 238
Posted on Sunday, June 10, 2007 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How old are you Rbdetsport? Ask your parents to run with you for protection.. They might see that it isn't dangerous. Ah hell, just do it anyway!

yep Gistok, I also noticed that it'll be tough to see the fireworks from the Gabriel Richard riverwalk. The bridge blocks the view.

This part of the Riverwalk will be much better off when the Bettis/Betters development & Riverwalk are completed.

I walked/jogged the entire Riverwalk today, I came away very proud and inspired by what I saw. That is, except the the guy who decided to take a swim in the river. He quickly realized that this was dumb and yelled for help. Luckily there were boats all around to pick him up. Also the guy speeding down the river on a jet ski... In the middle of the river!

OK, back to the impressive parts... I found myself people watching and kinda eves dropping and I enjoyed all the smiles and diversity. You would hear people talking about how much they like the riverwalk and what things they hope will happen next. If the riverwalk inspires ideas from Detroiters to be creative and be a part of the revitalization of the city then it's working..

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 4512
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohudson, Gabriel Richard park is a bit too far away to enjoy the fireworks from anyway.

A few years ago Preservation Wayne reserved part of Mt. Elliot Park (by the Coast Guard Station), and it too had poor sightlines for watching the fireworks. And that park is about 1/3 mile closer to the fireworks barges.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This might help with your parents.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20070611/SPORT S06/706110366

Tetsua

Post Number: 1210
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone else take photos? If so, lets see em.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1209
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fiancee and I rode our bikes along it Sunday afternoon from the Ren Cen to Belle Isle, around Belle Isle and back again. The completed portions are beautiful. The section from Joe Louis to Rivard Plaza was packed with people of all colors and backgrounds. So much so you could barely bike through. The section from Jos Campau to Mt. Elliot is quite nice and had much less foot traffic. Very quiet, serene and beautiful. You can make the trip from the Ren Cen to Belle Isle along the riverfront with little problem. We took Atwater between Rivard Plaza to Jos Campau and then took Mt. Elliot up to Jefferson and took that a short distance to the MacArthur Bridge. It was a nice ride, which we definitely will repeat.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1590
Posted on Monday, June 11, 2007 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saturday after the Tigers game my friend and i walked the new portions of the riverwalk and were really impressed. My friend has never really been to Detroit and had her preconcieved notions shattered. There were tons of people there enjoying the beautiful day, it was just an overall great experience.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 9439
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took a l-o-n-g bike ride Sunday morning along the Riverwalk, from just behind the Joe to Rivard Plaza, then Atwater until it ended at the Stroh complex...the sheer number of families was astounding.

Build it and they will come, even at eleven in the morning on a Sunday! It was busier than during the week with the RenCenners.

I sat down in the new park space, looked at Windsor from this new perspective, and caught for the first time the vision of a continual riverfront ribbon walkway...it really felt like the waterfronts I'd come to love in NA, a taste of Battery Park City looking towards the Statue of Liberty or Lakefront Chicago or even Seattle's waterfront waiting on a ferry.

There is a serious transformation happening at our riverfront, I cannot wait for the Dequindre Cut now, so I can get there even easier!

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 1015
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Detroit for lovers?? No, couldn't be"

I was down there Saturday night and I swear it was make out alley and those exact same words came into my head. Who woulda thought?

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 217
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 8:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Did anyone else take photos? If so, lets see em.

Well, only about half of my photos are from the Riverwalk. I'm not sure how exciting you'll find them.

They're from a bike ride my Dad and I took on Sunday. During the 28-miles, we rode to the Avalon Bakery, Festival of Arts, Brush Park (including Mr. Slumpy), Comerica Park, Greektown, Elmwood Cemetary, Heildelberg Project, Indian Village, Gabriel Richard Park, Belle Isle, Riverwalk/Tricentennial Park (including his RiverWalk brick!), Globe Building, Book-Cadillac, and Campus Martius. There was never a dull moment. Everyone was super friendly. As others have noted, the Riverwalk was packed from the Joe to Rivard Plaza.

My Dad lives in Rochester but hadn't been on Belle Isle since 1961!

He was super impressed from start to finish.

I called my Mom once he left my house to tell her he was on his way. She commented that he'd be talking about it all night. "No, Mom. He's going to be talking about this for weeks."

http://www.allyeargear.com/gal lery/DetroitRide07

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 574
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one is funny to me, but only when taken out of context. It looks like you guys really take your carousel riding seriously.

http://www.allyeargear.com/gal lery/DetroitRide07/IMG_6061

Tetsua

Post Number: 1214
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was just about to comment on that one Spitty lol.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 254
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Took the walk yesterday afternoon with a friend, it was great from GM to Rivard Plaza,lots of people, we even took a ride on the carousel for 2.00. A fellow from Minnesota was in for a Ford dealership meeting and standing next to us, he mentioned this was one of the nicest river walks he had ever been on, he said he thought Detroit was great, was very impressed with the buildings downtown and how Detroit was situated with Canada, was real nice to hear.

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 218
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It looks like you guys really take your carousel riding seriously.

:-) Ya never know! The helmet probably looks better than the helmet hair beneath it.

Billk
Username: Billk

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was down there Sunday night and the Riverwalk was jammed with people. They need to make it bigger, like, yesterday. Does the city of Detroit own the two parcels just east of Rivard Plaza? It seems they could lay down an asphalt path quickly and have something open in a day or two...

Tetsua

Post Number: 1216
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Does the city of Detroit own the two parcels just east of Rivard Plaza?

These parcels are where they're going to be building condos in the near future.

Rocket_city
Username: Rocket_city

Post Number: 291
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I took some pictures Saturday June 9 too.

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070156.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070157.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070158.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070163.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070164.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070169.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070171.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070172.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070176.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070178.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070179.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070182.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070183.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070185.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070189.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070190.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070197.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070199.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070200.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070201.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070202.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070203.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070213.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070214.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070215.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070216.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070218.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070219.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070221.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/A rt%20and%20River/2007_0609ArtF estRiver06_09_070226.jpg

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 363
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rocket_city:
Thanks for sharing the cool photographs. As I now live far, far away, I can only imagine how nice it must be along the Riverwalk. Riverwalk appears to have a nice family orientation. My kids would get a kick out of that large map on the ground as they are learning about geography.

Question - what is that lighthouse structure in photographs ....070183 and ......070185?

(Message edited by vetalalumni on June 12, 2007)

Rocket_city

Post Number: 292
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Veta!

The lighthouse is located at the marina channel at the Tricentennial State Park and Harbor (Chene/St. Aubin area) just east of Rivard Plaza.

There is a page dedicated to this area on the conservancy's website here:

http://www.detroitriverfront.o rg/index.asp?item=623&name=Pho to%20Gallery&site=5&gallery=15

Vetalalumni

Post Number: 366
Posted on Tuesday, June 12, 2007 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rocket_city! Awesome.

Tuere
Username: Tuere

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW!!! I'm just amazed at how wonderful the River Walk looks. Thanks for the great photos Rocket City! I'm a Detroit native living out of state right now and I can't wait to get back and walk the river. I just made a donation to the conservancy and plan on buying a brick. I want this urban treasure to stay beautiful. It's just awesome!!

Ramcharger

Post Number: 307
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone else noticed that this sign has been installed backwards? It points to the parking lot for the carousal, restrooms and food concessions. There is nothing on the other side. How could the people who cemented it in place not have noticed that?

Tuere

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ramcharger - You should write and email/comment on the Conservancy website to bring it to the folks attention that can correct it. Hopefully they've already noticed.

Tuere

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/ pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070610 /LIFE09/706100438/1052

Look at this article! Out-of-state press promoting the RiverWalk already. There's even info on where to stay and what to do in downtown D on the right side of the page. Pretty impressive!

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 222
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've just uploaded a recent layout showing TriCentennial Park and how it will expand up to Rivard Plaza. I thought some folks had a question about it.
http://m-bike.org/images/TriCe ntennial.jpg

Upcoming meetings are now planned for the connector between the State Park and the Dequindre Cut.

Lilpup

Post Number: 2307
Posted on Wednesday, June 13, 2007 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the question is WHEN?

I thought, with the exception of the Port Authority, the entire upriver section was supposed to be done, or at least all connected, by the end of this year

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 259
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget you can buy a brick for the riverfront via this link , online or mail it in
http://www.detroitriverfront.o rg/

Bigjeff
Username: Bigjeff

Post Number: 78
Posted on Thursday, June 14, 2007 - 2:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha Ha that is a friend of mine running down by Harbourtown in one of those photos!

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 1400
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 8:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

made it down there yesterday...parked at Rivard plaza and walked down to the GM promenade and back...

the pictures people posted, while great, do not do the the new riverfront justice...you have to see it with your own eyes...it's magnificent and the fact that it's very much still a work in progress can only mean good things for the final product...

very impressed

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 1983
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I walked last night with some co-workers down to Rivard Park - what a beautiful beautiful evening, the River Walk is amazing. It was full of people, kids playing in the fountain, couples strolling along. Everybody smiling.

Rocket_city

Post Number: 293
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ "Everybody smiling"

That was THEE first thing that I noticed too!

I'm like, "SCORE!" :-)

Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 336
Posted on Saturday, June 16, 2007 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitriverdays.co m/music.html

The music has now been announced on all stages!

Mind_field
Username: Mind_field

Post Number: 721
Posted on Sunday, June 17, 2007 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Went for a walk tonight along the river. Unbelievable! The riverfront has arrived in a big, big way! It was bursting at the seams, burgeoning, bustling, full of people is an understatement!

The hart plaza fountain at night is incredible, 10x better than the Cmart park fountain!

Designerguy24
Username: Designerguy24

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at the Rivewalk on Saturday and I have to say they did a beautiful job. I was very impressed. It was nice to see all the people down there walking it and taking it in. It will be even better once the whole thing is finished. It was even really nice to see all the people at Campus Martius Park for the free movie too. Detroit is back!

Toolbox
Username: Toolbox

Post Number: 1086
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Ramcharger

Has anyone else noticed that this sign has been installed backwards? It points to the parking lot for the carousal, restrooms and food concessions. There is nothing on the other side. How could the people who cemented it in place not have noticed that?

There are many signs on the riverwalk that are installed backwards.

Flybydon
Username: Flybydon

Post Number: 138
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

June 17, 2007

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 512
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks flyby

Drankin21
Username: Drankin21

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kenny Wayne Shepherd is phenomenal!

Wish I could be there

Ohudson

Post Number: 242
Posted on Tuesday, June 19, 2007 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gabriel Richard Park looks the best.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 2261
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A restaurant along the river with outdoor seating would definitely enhance the experience. And please don't say that Asian Village or Seldom Blues will do the trick. I'm talking about a restaurant with outdoor seating where you could walk off the riverwalk right into the restaurant.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 5458
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, I think that'd be a capital idea! It'd be like Au Bon Pain at Campus Martius. Why not make fine dining a part of the new Riverwalk? Great idea!

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 8:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And that's certainly one of the key things that has made San Antonio's River Walk a big success in a city that's as auto-oriented as ours . . . plenty of places it could still be done.

Ramcharger

Post Number: 332
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm talking about a restaurant with outdoor seating where you could walk off the riverwalk right into the restaurant.

Do you mean like the one that was suppose to go under the Hart Plaza pyramid stage area but was turned into a DPD mini-station instead?

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 1153
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"A restaurant along the river with outdoor seating would definitely enhance the experience. And please don't say that Asian Village or Seldom Blues will do the trick. I'm talking about a restaurant with outdoor seating where you could walk off the riverwalk right into the restaurant."

Or the bums can walk off the Riverwalk and into your lap.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1899
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I live near Gabriel Richard Park and it doesn't seem very accessible. Is there a designated place to park?

Why would you need to park if you live near it?

If you are going to walk in a park, you should walk to the park.

Rocket_city

Post Number: 301
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a few more photos I took after work today:

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/D etroitDevelopment/2007_0620Det 06_20_070009.jpg

The new cross street signage adds a nice touch, in my opinion.
http://downtownmotown.8k.com/D etroitDevelopment/2007_0620Det 06_20_070010.jpg

http://downtownmotown.8k.com/D etroitDevelopment/2007_0620Det 06_20_070011.jpg

Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 513
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding the restaurant - I believe that the new plan for Hart Plaza includes one, and also, you can reach the tavern in the Omni Hotel directly from the riverwalk.... There are also concessions at Rivard Plaza, and I would bet that as things progress with the condo developments (especially in the River East development area), we will see many walkup shops and restaurants

Tetsua

Post Number: 1225
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20070620/M ETRO/706200402&imw=Y

Ohudson

Post Number: 245
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jsmyers, I don't need to park at Gabriel Richard Park but obviously by the looks of it so far not many other are parking there either. Because it's so isolated and it doesn't have a clear place for people to park. I'm sure that the Riverfront Conservancy wants more than just "people who live near the park" to walk to it and no one else enjoy it.

I'm all for walking, I've walked/jogged from home to Gabriel Richard Park, Belle Isle to all the way past Hart Plaza.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 368
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rockcity you rock. great shots. Detroit's riverfront really make the city an instant destination. Whats going on with the Whitter Hotel? <313>

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 4297
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock city, where was that Watermark sign that you shot located? Was that at the old Uniroyal site?

Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 230
Posted on Wednesday, June 20, 2007 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Riverwalk was packed again tonight. The newly opened section between the Omni and Mt. Elliot is seeing a lot more traffic. Perhaps people are finding it or maybe it was that big event going on at Chene Park.

Ohudson

Post Number: 246
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 11:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't the Watermark site between Chene Park and Tricentennial?

http://watermarkdetroit.com/home.html

(Message edited by Ohudson on June 21, 2007)

(Message edited by Ohudson on June 21, 2007)

Rocket_city

Post Number: 308
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Watermark sign is located on Atwater just west of the Chene Park Amphitheatre (the downtown side).

Tetsua

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See if you can find anything interesting on these bricks.

http://s111.photobucket.com/al bums/n137/tetsua/?action=view& current=176194023685.jpg

Royce

Post Number: 2263
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice tribute to Jeff.

Royce

Post Number: 2264
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those townhouses around the taller tower in the Watermark development suck. Notice that the ones facing Atwater have no windows along its western side. Also, those townhouses to the west of the tower block the views of the river of those that live on the lower levels. I find this development to be poorly designed. What are your thoughts?

Lizaanne
Username: Lizaanne

Post Number: 81
Posted on Friday, June 22, 2007 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT MY CAMERA!!! WAAAAA!!!!!!

Down here all day today working, a beautiful view of the riverfront, and NO CAMERA!!! :-(

I remembered half way to work and couldn't turn back. :-(

So looking forward to cutting out at lunch to walk around for awhile.

~Liza

Tetsua

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I absolutely cannot believe how CROWDED the riverwalk is, and getting more crowded by the minute it seems. I almost don't want to see it during the fireworks ... almost. I'll post some pictures later.

Ohudson

Post Number: 250
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 11:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed Tetsua, I didn't expect it to be that crowded. I needed a break, I'm on the way back out to this mass of humanity... :-)

I see that I'm missing the parade of lights.

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 595
Posted on Saturday, June 23, 2007 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rock on, Rocket City. Sweet photos.

I was down there and walked around for a couple of hours yesterday. It was absolutely beautiful.

Tetsua

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20070623/NEW S01/706230360&imw=Y

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 292
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was down there tonight. Absolutely packed and beautiful! I started off at GM Plaza. Walked down to the end to Hart Plaza. Walked all the way down past the Globe Trading Co. Building to the State Park and Boblo Boat. Walked back to the RenCen and took the PM to Greektown. Ate at Pegasus. Took the PM back to the RenCen and walked through the Wintergarden and then listened to a little music and left. Just got home.

http://i14.photobucket.com/alb ums/a301/rbdetsport/PICS009.jp g

http://i14.photobucket.com/alb ums/a301/rbdetsport/PICS046.jp g

http://i14.photobucket.com/alb ums/a301/rbdetsport/PICS027.jp g

http://i14.photobucket.com/alb ums/a301/rbdetsport/PICS066.jp g

http://i14.photobucket.com/alb ums/a301/rbdetsport/PICS054.jp g

http://i14.photobucket.com/alb ums/a301/rbdetsport/PICS017.jp g

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 89
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congratulations Detroit! I'm amazed at all the positive comments that people are writing. The Riverwalk seems to be one of the biggest successes in the Detroit rebound so far. I will definitely visit the next time in Detroit.

When visiting the Windsor riverwalk last year, one of the Canadians chuckled at us and I asked why? She said, "You Americans come over to Canada and then you take pictures of America!" I'm willing to bet that Detroit will now get a lot of Canadians coming to the Detroit Riverwalk and then taking pictures of Canada across the river.

Good job Detroit!

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1493
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I was also down there today and it was absolutely packed the whole length of the Riverwalk. One more thing to add to the string of positives happening for the city in terms of development.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 652
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont think the planners of this event expected quite the turnout that we've seen the last few days. It is almost uncomfortably busy down here right now. It is unreal to see the transformation of the riverfront from 3 years ago.

Leland_palmer
Username: Leland_palmer

Post Number: 338
Posted on Sunday, June 24, 2007 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is some of the River Days coverage

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t ags/rov062307/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/t ags/riverdays/